PDA

View Full Version : How to wear hair for surgery?

Kitty
May 23rd, 2009, 06:48 AM
Hi everyone

So what does everyone think, what is the best way to wear your hair before surgery to avoid it getting all matted and pulled at.

Keep in mind I do not like french braids and the like because my scalp is way too sensitive and these hairdo's pull way to much for my liking.

Thanks for any suggestions, and wish me luck with my surgery! It's in 5 days!!

:D

Fethenwen
May 23rd, 2009, 06:52 AM
I find it amusing that you are going to a surgery and worry about how to wear your hair :D
This is so typical LHC. Actually I think I would worry about it myself too.

How about braids, not french ones, wrapped in a bandana?

Kitty
May 23rd, 2009, 07:01 AM
Hmmm, the bandana is intriguing. I'm wondering if it will be allowed as normally they want no "clothing". Mind you, it WILL be on my head, not my abdomen where the surgery is taking place. I actually work where I'm having the surgery, maybe I'll call and see if they care about this. Maybe they will make an exception for me since I'm one of their own! LOL!

Ya I was thinking that only a LHCer would worry about hair when going for surgery! Hehe!

Heavenly Locks
May 23rd, 2009, 07:10 AM
I would do pocahontas braids :) Those lay to either side of your head and you don't have to do much with them. Also, they do not pull in my experience.

If you are worried about them being rubbed or being damaged you can then wrap them :)

Another thing is a kind of hair wrap -

http://www.headcoverings-by-devorah.com/images3/BatisteHairWrap-BraidBlackGoldLaceAccentTie2.jpg

http://www.headcoverings-by-devorah.com/headcoverings-mitpachat-scarves.htm

Madame J
May 23rd, 2009, 07:14 AM
There's actually an article about what to do with your hair while in the hospital. It has a section about wearing your hair for surgery. You might want to check it out:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=83

Juanita
May 23rd, 2009, 08:50 AM
Depends on the type of surgery. I had magor heart surgery 26 years ago and had to wash myself and hair in some special stuff. had to do it 2or three times i think to remove germs bacteria. So then just braided hair and wore under a cap that was worn on the head during surgery. Then I was not into worrying about my hair for the next 4or5 days. I guess maybe surgery practises may have changed since then. My hair was also longer then than now.

embee
May 23rd, 2009, 10:28 AM
I'd do my night-time high bun... on the very top of my head, use an elastic for foundation so it would stay solid, and a short hairfork to hold it (not fancy, I have a huge hairpin I use). Gibralter bun comes to mind. It's so comfy for me, no lumps, no bumps, nothing much hanging around getting in the way.

AJoifulNoise
May 23rd, 2009, 11:38 AM
When I went in to have my gallbladder removed last year I lived in two braids for almost 3 weeks. I had someone do them for me right after surgery and then a couple days later. And then I could just manage them myself for the rest of the time. Really, they were all I could do as I couldn't lift my arms to do any buns.

*Rose Red*
May 23rd, 2009, 11:51 AM
under a cap that was worn on the head during surgery.
that is usually in german ORīs. There are special caps for the stuff and the patients get it when their are brought to the anesthesists.
So I think itīs best to wear a pony tail or braids, so you can hide your hair under the cap.
All the best for your surgery!

Bunnyhare
May 23rd, 2009, 12:18 PM
I was not even allowed to have nail polish on for my last surgery so you may have to shove it under a cap and then have someone do it up for you afterwards..I am so sorry you have to have surgery, i will be praying all goes well! that covering posted by Heavenly Locks is beautiful~

Sasha_S
May 23rd, 2009, 12:19 PM
You might be asked to hibi-scrub your hair the night before your op, and this can make your hair a little unruly and dry, then they'll stuff it all into a medical cap before you go into theatre. I'd say go for pocahontas braids, as Heavenly Locks said, as I doubt they will allow you to wear your own head-gear into theatre sadly! :(
I've got an op coming up in a month or so too, best of luck with yours!
x

Iylivarae
May 24th, 2009, 12:07 PM
I had surgery just two months ago, and I had my hair in an english braid. They gave me a cap to wear on the head, so I just stuffed the braid in. There was enough space for my hair, and I think for a lot more hair, too.

I think it is just important that you have the hair contained in a braid or something. Maybe you could also do a crownbraid, so you don't have to worry about it slipping out of the cap.

Good luck with your surgery!

Teacherbear
May 24th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I've worn mine in one long braid. I did not put a pony holder at the top of the braid, only at the bottom.

I've also worn it in two braids, one on either side of my head. Again, there was no holder at the top, only at the bottom of the braids.

Good luck with your surgery. Be sure to follow the doctor's directions for recovery. You only get one chance to heal! :flowers:

Carolyn
May 24th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Can you call ahead and ask if you will be required to wash it with something special? Also you could ask about if a cap or something will be put on your head during surgery. You could do some kind of braid or braids and wrap that around your head and cover it with a Buff. These things are going to vary with the type of surgery and with the hospital. I had a cardiac cath done about a year and a half ago. I called and asked if there were any restrictions on my hair. The cardiac care nurse I talked to said they'd had long haired patients before and a braid would be the best. I didn't wear a cap. My plan was that if I had had to stay overnight and have something done, I would call a good friend and have her help me out. Yes hair was one of the first things I thought about. I can't help it :p

Torrin Paige
May 24th, 2009, 12:48 PM
When I had my endo surgery (also the abdomen) I did the Pocahontas braids. I never even had to think about my hair...and when they were frazzled, they were easy to fix to make look pretty again. The nurses don't pay any attention to your hair and it can get matted to all heck and back while you're writhing in pain and whatnot, so two braids is the best way to go, I think. They don't hurt when you're lying down and they're easy for the surgical team to get out of the way.