PDA

View Full Version : Am I on the right track?

hellkitty
May 22nd, 2009, 05:30 PM
I've been lurking here for a few weeks, so, first of all, hi! I've been soaking in what y'all have to say about haircare and I'm hoping you could give me some advice about if my New Plan seems likely to succeed.

First, the hair: It's sit-on length, but that part's rather thin. My hair is quite thick in a ponytail, but thins out after, say, APL. I can't tell if it's due to breakage that the rest of the length is thinner or if this is regrowth after something that happened a few years ago that caused a major fallout (like, say, my divorce?). I wear it in a rather boring cinnabun almost all the time--should I 'shake that up' with different styles?

Anyway, the plan is not to add length so much as to help thicken the masses. Help all that good thickness at APL grow down strong and healthy.

Here's my plan:
No 'cone shampoo and conditioner 2-3x a week (I'm not ready to try CO! I'm afraid!)

Every day, coconut oil from earlobes down. (It's been two weeks and thus far I LOVE this stuff!)

Night before hairwash, rosemary oil 'treatment'--scalp massage and greasing the braid.

And of course the BBB.

A) Does this sound likely to succeed in my mission?
B) Anything else I should try?
C) Any other advice to help my mission?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but you ladies (and gents) are my hair growing heroes. Please help me get hair like yours!

HK

fishwich
May 22nd, 2009, 05:32 PM
Oh my, that's a lot of oil--every day, plus extra on the day that you wash...is your hair, really. -really- dry?

hellkitty
May 22nd, 2009, 05:51 PM
Before I started oiling, it was like straw. If I didn't glop it up with so much conditioner it weighed a ton, I couldn't get a comb through it.

With the oil, it's not as heavy, nor as dirty looking as with all that conditioner. I could probably go an extra day or half day between washings without it looking skanky now. And I use waaaay less conditioner--I just 'con the ends as I shampoo. Before, it was skank city at 48 hours at the roots, and the rest was just dull and blecky. It's super easy to comb now, and very soft.

Oiling is probably the single best thing I've learned from you ladies!

HK

danacc
May 22nd, 2009, 06:05 PM
Your plan seems sound.

I have a lot of taper, too. Tangles cause the most damage for me. Wearing my hair up or braided and in front of me where I will remember to mind it have helped a lot. I also completely gave up hair elastics--even the "gentle" ones were causing my hair to break. I just leave my braid unfastened when I wear it that way. Updo's are held with sticks.

You may already be doing this, but use your fingers, and then a smooth comb for detangling. The BBB should not be used to detangle.

Finally, when you feel ready to try it, I highly encourage CWC washing as a next step. Your length doesn't need detergent to strip it, especially if it's normally dry. Conditioner will clean it. Really. :)

Thinthondiel
May 22nd, 2009, 06:33 PM
Finally, when you feel ready to try it, I highly encourage CWC washing as a next step. Your length doesn't need detergent to strip it, especially if it's normally dry. Conditioner will clean it. Really. :)

I was thinking the same thing... if your hair is so dry that you need to oil it that much, I'd suggest trying CWC and eventually CO (when/if you feel ready for it). I must admit I haven't tried either of those, but I'm doing WO now, and I didn't realise just how much shampoo used to dry out my hair until I had to shampoo again last night (because of a failed experiment that made my hair stink). My hair was a dry, frizzy/fluffy mess afterwards, and I had to oil like crazy. I can't wait for the sebum to be distributed through my hair again.

manderly
May 22nd, 2009, 06:40 PM
I third the CO idea. If your hair is so dry that it can handle that kind of oiling, I think you will LOVE CO. It's not scary, we promise. Heck, they're even selling it on infomercials now!

hellkitty
May 22nd, 2009, 06:58 PM
I knew you ladies would talk some sense into me. You're right, of course. It *is* dry and I probably *am* drying it out with shampoo, even 2-3 times a week. Okay, scratch 'probably'. I'm off to read up on CO. Why not take the plunge, right? Any hint as to how long before I can tell if it's working?

HK

Labs*R*Us
May 22nd, 2009, 07:29 PM
Don't be afraid of CO!!! It's probably the one thing I've learned from everyone here that has done more for the spirit, than it has my hair!! And it's half of what is keeping my hair from breaking, as I grow out again (the other is oiling.) It's the one way I can "wash" my hair very often (nightly, sometimes, if I feel I want to) without the guilt. The plus being that I'm probably retaining more moisture in my hair by doing it! (Caution: Once you try it, you might get hooked.)

If you try it and find it's not your thing, then go back to what works. At worst, it's not going to damage or strip your hair. At best, your hair (and scalp, and spirit) might love it.

Pierre
May 22nd, 2009, 07:58 PM
What I found helped me gain thickness in the more distal parts was stuffing my hair in a Buff at night. That prevents sleep damage. The hair at the back of my head used to be so full of splits that I had to S&D by feel 'cause I couldn't bring them in front of my eyes. Now it's smooth all the way down :)

I don't know much about poo and condish, but my hair loves oil. I use jojoba and am thinking of getting some coconut for food and trying it on my hair too.

spidermom
May 22nd, 2009, 08:02 PM
I don't see a thing wrong with your plan so go with it and be happy. If something stops working, I'm sure you'll notice. I have to shake things up with my routine now and then.

RancheroTheBee
May 22nd, 2009, 09:32 PM
CO really isn't that scary - I promise. My hair is also super dry, and CO/CWC has helped a lot. I don't even need to oil that much anymore, actually. Just a little dab of leave-in is fine now.

Heavenly Locks
May 23rd, 2009, 04:00 AM
I think you should buy some fun new hair toys and practice using them on some new styles!

*enable enable enable*

Hair Style Links (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8235)

Hair TOYS!
(http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=307403#post307403)

GlassEyes
May 23rd, 2009, 04:06 AM
Good luck with CO.

I agree with Heavenly. you may enjoy trying new styles and things. It helps keep people from getting bored with their hair. The articles section has some tutorials on styles.

Kaamos
May 23rd, 2009, 04:08 AM
First, the hair: It's sit-on length, but that part's rather thin. My hair is quite thick in a ponytail, but thins out after, say, APL. I can't tell if it's due to breakage that the rest of the length is thinner or if this is regrowth after something that happened a few years ago that caused a major fallout (like, say, my divorce?). I wear it in a rather boring cinnabun almost all the time--should I 'shake that up' with different styles?

Anyway, the plan is not to add length so much as to help thicken the masses. Help all that good thickness at APL grow down strong and healthy.

[...]

And of course the BBB.

This plan sounds good to me. I have a few things you may think about.

- to gain thikness you could do (micro)trims once a month or every two months (cut about 0.25-0.5 inches). It won't hurt that much because you don't loose a lot of length. But your ends will get thicker.

- a comment to the BBB: it could damage thin hair (mainly the ends). My suggestion: try it and see if it's good for your hair or not.

- updos: updos can protect your hair and they look good. You can do a lot of beautiful updos with your long hair!!

hellkitty
May 23rd, 2009, 07:08 AM
I think you should buy some fun new hair toys and practice using them on some new styles!

*enable enable enable*

Hair Style Links (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8235)

Hair TOYS!
(http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=307403#post307403)

Oh, yes, you ladies have also done some serious inspiration in the hairtoy market. I've already ordered a flexi8 and am lusting after the Ficcares. I'd never have known about them without y'all. And the styling links are how I found this place in the first place!

(I have dozens of hairsticks, most of which I've made myself because the ones I've bought tend to break, and metal bends)

Thank you so much for your advice. I'm going to take the CO plunge!
HK

Fethenwen
May 23rd, 2009, 07:41 AM
I second the CO washes and micro trims, actually the way you describe your ends I wonder if you should trim a bit more. Like an inch or something? That way you get a better start and thicker ends.

Heavenly Locks
May 23rd, 2009, 08:10 AM
FWIW I am also a COer and I will never go back either :) (I don't even clarify, at least I haven't needed to for 2 months)

ButterCup02
May 23rd, 2009, 10:21 AM
Don't be afraid to CO :) I have been for over a month now and it's done my hair soooo much good!! I love CO now!

As somebody else said, if you don't like it you can always go back to what's working for you now. It won't damage your hair or anything.