PDA

View Full Version : Show us your split ends!

eadwine
May 22nd, 2009, 11:41 AM
I don't have them, at least.. not many. Maybe 5 or 10 or so when I hit the S&D routine.

I just did my hair in a halfup and my eye fell on one hair. That one hair has them ALL collected or something :lol:

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9237/splitend.th.jpg (http://img11.imageshack.us/my.php?image=splitend.jpg)

Can you beat this one?? I dare you :lol:

fishwich
May 22nd, 2009, 11:47 AM
To be perfectly honest, I'd rather show you my athlete's foot. Feels less like a personal failing.

Heavenly Locks
May 22nd, 2009, 11:48 AM
If I can A. find one and B. photograph it as well as YOU did I will surely post a photo!

So far, I haven't had any. *touch wood*

That's a fantastic photo! In a 'shudder' worthy way ;)

eadwine
May 22nd, 2009, 12:16 PM
Yeah.. and I looked through my ends right after I took it, and honestly found maybe 2 or 3 split ends (wee ones) and about as much white dots.

That one hair is an anomaly for sure!

Heavenly Locks
May 22nd, 2009, 12:18 PM
*points* Look at the freak hair!

LOL

I have found one or two like that before that seem to just be 'mopping' up the splits. I don't mind a kamikaze hair! Take one for the team I say...

Arctic
May 22nd, 2009, 12:22 PM
I don't have splits but I have some crinckly ends, I'll post a pic later if I remember to take a photo.

pointydog
May 22nd, 2009, 12:26 PM
Haha. I can beat that for sure! I have one in my glove box I've been saving since I found it, it had so many spilts! It's split like that one only it's about 7" long!
Strange you mentioned this, I took some pictures of a bunch of S&D clipped ends a few weeks ago, just messing with the camera. Some impressive ones in there too.
(going to look for the pictures...and the amazing spilt hair...wondering if I'm crazy too)

eadwine
May 22nd, 2009, 12:27 PM
Arctic: That'd be cool too.. I love seeing the weirdos among us.

Umm.. the weirdo HAIR hey.. I am not posting a picture of me here, needless to say hehe.

Madame J
May 22nd, 2009, 12:29 PM
Actually, I'm glad you started this because I was too nervous to ask people to post pictures of different degrees of split ends. I just got trimmed by about an inch, but when my hair starts getting longer and I do a S&D, I don't actually know what to look for. I probably just need to look harder, but I've never seen what looks like a split on the tip of my hair.

eadwine
May 22nd, 2009, 12:52 PM
Well that is a good sign! I barely have them, so it is nothing strange when you don't at all.

Just THAT one *points to 1st post* is the OPPOSITE of that :lol:

Kimberly
May 22nd, 2009, 12:56 PM
I just want to say: eadwine, your hair looks gorgeous in your new progress photo!

jojo
May 22nd, 2009, 01:04 PM
I just want to say: eadwine, your hair looks gorgeous in your new progress photo!
DITO! its stunning and so long!

eadwine
May 22nd, 2009, 01:07 PM
Thanks you two!! :D I am very happy with it. Though the "wow" feeling is wearing off now. Argh. At least I feel more of a long hair now heheh

eresh
May 22nd, 2009, 01:10 PM
First of all, love your new siggy!!
Enjoy the wow feeling, don't let it slip away that easy ;)

The split, I had one of those .... but didn't take a picture.
I wish I did because they look so bizar!
Like the hair had a major scare (or party to look forward to perhaps?) and spontaniously went into mohawk-mode :D

btw I don't think splits are a personal failure.
Everyone has them occasionally, that's life :cheese:

eadwine
May 22nd, 2009, 01:14 PM
Yep, that definitely is life.

If I were to count that as a personal failure, man.. my life would be so bleak! :lol:

fishwich
May 22nd, 2009, 01:22 PM
"Occasional" splits? Man, there aren't enough laughing smileys in the world.

I've got splits aplenty, always have, regardless of what I was doing or not doing with my hair. I was mostly joking about the personal failing thing, but it is something I get just a little sensitive about--I've been into enough salons with people who say "Oh no, you have split ends, we'd better trim those off!" and whoopsie-do, back to shoulder length. A week later? Splits. To be split-free, I'd be bald.

Like curliness, dryness, prone-ness to frizzing or fondness for 'cones, I'm just figuring the urge to split is one of those things that varies from person to person. And me? Splitty.

eadwine
May 22nd, 2009, 01:30 PM
That is the first thing my dad said when I showed him the split, RIGHT after I told him I have maybe 10 splits spread out. "need to go get a haircut".

I told him he didn't read right. Stupid people.

Mind you.. did your hairdresser at that time use sharp scissors? Sounds like they weren't sharp at all :/

fishwich
May 22nd, 2009, 01:36 PM
Yup, the scissors were fine.

A split-free head is not something my hair will do. Ever. Still learning to just sit back and relax about that.

eadwine
May 22nd, 2009, 01:45 PM
Oh.. the hairdresser allowed you to check them? Cool!

Mine never did that.. needless to say I have a different one now hehe.

Heidi_234
May 22nd, 2009, 01:52 PM
Now me! Me me me!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2075&pictureid=32654
And don't forget to compliment me on *my* new siggy length shot :p

Natalia
May 22nd, 2009, 02:14 PM
I don't have them, at least.. not many. Maybe 5 or 10 or so when I hit the S&D routine.

I just did my hair in a halfup and my eye fell on one hair. That one hair has them ALL collected or something :lol:

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9237/splitend.th.jpg (http://img11.imageshack.us/my.php?image=splitend.jpg)

Can you beat this one?? I dare you :lol:

Wow impressive! I dont think my hair is thick enough to split like that, though ive had some doozies for sure :p

ElenTikvah
May 22nd, 2009, 02:23 PM

I've got splits aplenty, always have, regardless of what I was doing or not doing with my hair. I was mostly joking about the personal failing thing, but it is something I get just a little sensitive about--I've been into enough salons with people who say "Oh no, you have split ends, we'd better trim those off!" and whoopsie-do, back to shoulder length. A week later? Splits. To be split-free, I'd be bald.

Like curliness, dryness, prone-ness to frizzing or fondness for 'cones, I'm just figuring the urge to split is one of those things that varies from person to person. And me? Splitty.

I totally understand! I spent many years "trimming splits" that resulted in mid-back to shoulder or chin-length cuts...So now, I try to ignore them completely, and S&D when the ends are tangly...and I'll still never get them all cleared!

~Tik

eadwine
May 22nd, 2009, 10:23 PM
Wow Heidi! Beauty of a split hair there :)

No one else care to share their hair weirdies?

Peter
May 22nd, 2009, 10:29 PM
I don't think anyone can top that hair, eadwine. :D I rarely see splits but if I can find one, I'll do my best to get a picture.

Peter
May 22nd, 2009, 10:41 PM
I can't for the life of me get a decent picture of one. But it's okay because it was only a boring "regular" split. :D

windinherhair
May 23rd, 2009, 12:24 AM
The other day I searched my hair and I didn't find any split ends. Maybe I need to search harder. I couldn't believe that I wouldn't have even one! It has been over 2 months since my hair was trimmed, but I take really good care of it.

If I ever find one and can get a good picture, I would share it. Thanks for sharing yours. I had never even searched for split ends until I joined this forum. :)

pointydog
June 5th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Here are the pictures, but the really cool one from the glove box is AWOL. Dh might have tossed it, not knowing how cool it was.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2463/3598253529_3f5a4dc920.jpg?v=0
This is the best multi-split from the group I trimmed that day
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3347/3599061896_00e2c05bd4.jpg?v=0
Thanks for humoring me.

Heidi_234
June 5th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Whoa-ho-hoa
:eek::bigeyes::shocked:
Those are split you've found.

Anje
June 5th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I found my old scary split picture from February 2008.... The thing was massive, so I kept it.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2268/2245174529_5cea536b79.jpg

Kiraela
June 6th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Wow, eadwine! You're growing feathers! (seriously, that was my first thought)

My camera isn't good enough to get pictures of single hairs, otherwise I'd take a few pics of some of mine.

angelakeats
June 8th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I have been doing S&D and finding many split ends.
I have been doing S&D for awhile now. I bought goody cutting shears.
Am I causing my own splits? the scissors seem sharp.
I also have these white dots - what are they?
I have been no cone for awhile too, could my split ends be resurfacing from not being covered by cones?

Doing this makes me want to cut my hair - anyone else feel this?

Any help appreciated.

Kristen_Marie
June 8th, 2009, 10:48 PM

I am exactly the same here. My hair is always splitting. I do search and destroy trims a few times a week because the thought of getting a haircut every time I find a split is dizzying. I'm hoping with more time and advice from LHC, I'll learn how in the world I'm damaging my hair so much, quit it, and then get to the point where I can just find one kamikaze split in there every now and then. :cheese:

edensapples
June 8th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Ok now I want to know if you split enders are cones or no cones!

Gingevere
June 8th, 2009, 11:18 PM
I have been doing S&D and finding many split ends.
I have been doing S&D for awhile now. I bought goody cutting shears.
Am I causing my own splits? the scissors seem sharp.
I also have these white dots - what are they?
I have been no cone for awhile too, could my split ends be resurfacing from not being covered by cones?

Doing this makes me want to cut my hair - anyone else feel this?

Any help appreciated.

Well, good job on getting yourself a pair of actual hair-cutting shears. Just make sure you don't use them for any other purpose, or you'll dull the blades. And when you S&D, try to cut each strand cleanly and straight across. If you cut it at a diagonal, the hair will be more likely to split again. I checked out some of those mysterious white dots under my microscope awhile ago. They're places where the strand has basically frayed beyond repair. If left alone, the part below the damage will break off and leave a vulnerable, damaged end that will develop into a bigger split. So be sure to snip them off!

About the cones... they do a good job of masking split ends, but they don't actually repair the damage. I've heard good things about using catnip tea to repair splits, though I've never tried it. Here's a thread about it: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=476&highlight=catnip.

Anyway, I have so many splits and white dots, it makes my head spin. Getting my hair trimmed regularly really doesn't help, so I use S&D to cope. :D I'll try to snap a photo of one of my more frightening splits sometime.

angelakeats
June 8th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Thanks McKanna91 !

Kristen_Marie
June 8th, 2009, 11:29 PM

I use all organic shampoos and conditioners - no cones, no sulphates or SLS or parabens...or other stuff that is, to my knowledge, bad. (Can't remember the list of it at the moment but yeah, it's there.)

I use essential oils, unrefined and raw shea butter, virgin unrefined coconut oil, jojoba oil, Africa's Best, Emu oil, Sesame seed oil, Almond oil, etc etc. You get the idea! - Either as all day/night treatments or as a light leave in.

Renbirde
June 8th, 2009, 11:57 PM
:) I had one a whole ago that was about eight inches long and split like a ladder-- I think it cracked up the middle and the two sides didn't want to let go. It also had a few extra threads coming off near the tip. No pictures, but I managed to frighten my mother with it. :D That was shortly before the last Big Chop. (A month or so ago.)

Fethenwen
June 9th, 2009, 12:49 AM
I wonder if fine hair too fine to split? If a hair of mine would split it would be microscopical... maybe that's why I never see them :bigeyes:

nowxisxforever
June 9th, 2009, 01:12 AM
I saw one of those the other day on my head, I trimmed it and showed it to a co-worker (I do my S&D at work since I've got a lot of time I'm sitting in front of a monitor waiting - ideal light source! - since I do tech support) and they went "Woooooah." xD

I have far too many splits too- my hair is prone to splits, even above my pre-LHC hair. Sigh :(

Sarah4983
June 11th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Holy split!!

(hee hee) :D

Nypsy
June 11th, 2009, 10:25 AM
I usually don't get many split ends, but I had this weird insanely damaged end on one of my shed hairs about a week ago. http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo13/nypsy_/IMG_5310-2.jpg

Kiraela
June 11th, 2009, 11:36 AM
nypsy, eadwine, what sort of cameras do you use?

enfys
June 11th, 2009, 11:50 AM

That's what I was thinking!

I don't get anywhere near such good split ends. Well, impressive. "Good" is the wrong word...Ok so's impressive.

Darkhorse1
June 11th, 2009, 12:28 PM
catnip rinses can't repair splits. Once the shaft is split, the only way to repair is to remove. catnip rinses do the same as cones--they lay the split down so it doesnt' travel further up the hair shaft. I'm sure catnip rinses are less irritating to most than cones though. I couldn't use catnip rinses due to the coloring nature of it, and yes, my cats. :D

Weird--in my entire life of long hair, I've only ever found 1 multisplit hair. Most of my just have the odd split at the ends, and that's it.

As a kid, I thought a split end was the hair growing a different branch of hair, like a tree! Hahahaha.

splits are inevitable. With long hair, the friction and age of the ends of our hair, you'll get splits.

I use cones btw and my splits are pretty sparce, but I also do regular trims---just had an inch trimmed off and it looks awesome! :D

Nypsy
June 11th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I used a canon Powershot S3 IS set to program and super macro to take that picture. That picture was actually a little blurry because I had a hard time holding the piece of hair and the camera at the same time. Here are some pictures I took in the same setting so you can get an idea on how your pictures will look if you get that camera:

http://i40.tinypic.com/68vjoo.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/2d1u49j.jpg

I hope that helped!

Quixii
June 11th, 2009, 12:34 PM
That picture honestly disturbed me! *shudders*

I only get tiny splits at the end of some hairs. Hopefully not too many - I just did a bit of S&D yesterday.

thankyousir74
June 11th, 2009, 12:56 PM

I know what you mean I have waaaaay many splits. My hair is getting a henna treatment right now, otherwise I would proudly display some freak splits. (I get too many normal ones anyways :rolleyes: )

Kiraela
June 11th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Nypsy: Wow. I am seriously lusting after your camera now! I have always been interested in photography, just never had the money to get into it.

You've got some seriously pretty eyes, BTW. Makes me miss the 'show us your eyes' thread we had a while back.

bahannas
June 11th, 2009, 01:12 PM
I usually don't get many split ends, but I had this weird insanely damaged end on one of my shed hairs about a week ago. http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo13/nypsy_/IMG_5310-2.jpg

The end reminds me of a venus fly trap! :D

MoonMaiden90
June 12th, 2009, 02:30 AM
The other day, I found the most-split end that I've ever found. It wasn't anywhere near yours though!

Jezzie
July 3rd, 2009, 08:02 PM
Actually, I'm glad you started this because I was too nervous to ask people to post pictures of different degrees of split ends. I just got trimmed by about an inch, but when my hair starts getting longer and I do a S&D, I don't actually know what to look for. I probably just need to look harder, but I've never seen what looks like a split on the tip of my hair.

I found this (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_WJd2S3dTof4/RtUsvQm-RoI/AAAAAAAAAHk/AklqN8oFB7I/s1600-h/SplitEndChart-vi.gif) site really helpful in seeing what different types of splits there are and what to look for.

eadwine
July 5th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Barely any split ends, no cones :)

Wow, that is indeed weird. Looks like the stem inside a flower or something!

I have a Canon PowerShot A550 :)