View Full Version : Where is Indigo available other than online?

swetha
April 7th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Hello,

I would like to buy some Indigo. I tried to find it in the Indian stores but had no luck. Can somebody please tell me if it is available in any stores. Or do I have to just buy it online?

Thanks.

ChloeDharma
April 7th, 2008, 03:04 PM
when i go to Indian grocers i sometimes see packets of "black henna"....i've never checked to be sure, but i assumed it was Indigo......i'll look next time i go but i've only recently done an Indian shopping trip so don't know when i'm next going, but i'll take a look next time i do.

ETA....i just had a look at a site that sells products usually available in Indian grocers and this "black henna" is just indigo leaves...
http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/A1-Manzoor-Zarqa-Black-Henna-Powder.html

swetha
April 7th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Thanks a lot ChloeDharma for the reply! I did find this black henna at the Indian stores. But I was not sure if it was Indigo or the PPD dye. I read a warning in the henna article by Nightshade about some of the harmful dyes being sold under the name of "Black Henna".

I will go back to the Indian store and check once again.

virgo75
April 7th, 2008, 03:30 PM
You may be able to find indigo in art supply stores.

ChloeDharma
April 7th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Thanks a lot ChloeDharma for the reply! I did find this black henna at the Indian stores. But I was not sure if it was Indigo or the PPD dye. I read a warning in the henna article by Nightshade about some of the harmful dyes being sold under the name of "Black Henna".

I will go back to the Indian store and check once again.

Anytime hun! Do make sure to check the ingredients....on that same site was another "black henna" that was henna with dodgy crap added.

Henna Sooq
April 8th, 2008, 11:39 AM
With indigo coming from an art store be careful because that is usually not the same type of indigo you use for hair. Hair usage indigo will be a finely sifted powder like green and like frozen peas smell. and body art indigo is like little crystallized pieces of indigo, like it;'s hard to dscribe but it's just different in texture when you get it.

Be careful of black henna in the stores as well and yes for sure read the boxed ingredients, and they might also contain PPD and henna too. So it may not give you a true black like good quality indigo would.

icing
January 4th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Aside from knowing where to purchase indigo or indigo-henna mixes, does anyone know of a directory for salons willing to color hair with it?

RavennaNight
January 4th, 2009, 05:16 PM
when i go to Indian grocers i sometimes see packets of "black henna"....i've never checked to be sure, but i assumed it was Indigo......i'll look next time i go but i've only recently done an Indian shopping trip so don't know when i'm next going, but i'll take a look next time i do.

ETA....i just had a look at a site that sells products usually available in Indian grocers and this "black henna" is just indigo leaves...
http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/A1-Manzoor-Zarqa-Black-Henna-Powder.html

I'm just confused why they tell you to use the Zarqa indigo after 8 hours for long lasting color. I thoughtit would demise much sooner than that? If it's indigo?

Aisha25
January 4th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Zarqa is crappy just like hana sandy and full of sand and twigs. and did i mention full of crappy sand.

LawyerGirl
January 4th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I found henna/indigo/etc at a local herb/health food store. I don't know the quality of it, and there wasn't a great selection, but it was there.

mellie
January 4th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Aisha, you are funny! :-)

I use Rainbow Dark Brown henna which is premixed combo of henna and indigo. (They list their ingredients on the jars now). It gives me a beautiful dark chocolatey color although the sift is coarser than BAQ henna. I know most folks here don't like it, but I've used it for a year and a half and it's been great for me! Plus it is available at my local health food store for only $6.95. They have a Black version too which I assume is probably either all indigo or mostly indigo.