PDA

View Full Version : Lint/dandruff/mysterious problem

Periwinkle
May 22nd, 2009, 09:47 AM
A quick note on my routine before we start - I'm just above WL, washing about twice a week. I do use cones. I shampoo every time I wash, with the odd CO thrown in. After shampooing, I drench my hair in conditioner as I would if I were doing a CO wash (though not always my scalp hair) and leave it for a while before rinsing out. I oil with coconut oil on wet hair, use a wooden wide-tooth comb and wear my hair up 100% of the time.

---------------------------------

Recently, I thought my dandruff had made a comeback. Every time I combed my hair, I would end up with little white flakes/specks everywhere (I wear black trousers every day and comb my hair first thing so it's really easy for me to see). However, I then noticed that they were coming from all of my hair, and in my previous dandruff episodes, I only really had a problem with my scalp (which seems to be no worse than the rest of my hair).

I seemed to have build-up and figured that the white was probably something to do with that, so I clarified and it seems to have done the job but the white flecks were still there.

I thought it was to do with dirty hair, but I washed my hair on Tuesday and noticed them on Wednesday, and I washed my hair yesterday (not normal, but I went swimming, and so I also shampooed the whole length) and noticed them today.

What is this? Dandruff? Lint? What can I do?

windinherhair
May 22nd, 2009, 10:13 AM
I haven wondered if mine is really dandruff too. I found this thread the other day where they were talking about it: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=25802

heidihug
May 22nd, 2009, 10:49 AM
That's a hard one. There is some good info in the thread windinherhair linked to above.

Might it be bits of excess coconut oil from your hair? It does return to solid at room temperature. Though you would think that you would find the bits to be "greasy" in feel if that was the case. Good luck in finding your culprit.

heidi w.
May 22nd, 2009, 12:19 PM
Lint does get in hair although it's not always white. Heck, I've even found a teensy doggie hair in my hair at times!

I am wondering that what you have are what is known as 'white dots'. Are these white bits removable if you try to isolate the hair strand with the white bit, and then draw down with the pads of the forefinger and thumb, to remove this bit? IF it doesn't remove AND it bends at a 90 degree angle, then instead what you have is a white dot!

White dots can appear anywhere in the hair and is a form of damage. Usually it's where the outer cuticle layer has completely burst. The tell-tale sign is the bend at that 90 degree angle. This is a type of damage, akin to splits. Often enough, those who are coming off of flat ironing, bleaching hair (even coloring hair), permed hair that is growing out may well have a higher % of white dots (especially flat iron folks). For the more natural hair care folks, these white dots tend to show most intensely around the hemline yet can be seen on occasion throughout the hair length. Often these white dots are significantly less closer to the scalp as this is the newest hair! The oldest hair tends to show this from regular wear and tear. The oldest hair is the ends of your length, and depending on length, can show mostly in the last 1-3 inches, possibly more if you have a lot of "old" hair as I do (some of mine is in the 10 year category of age).

Like splits, this damage can only be removed by cutting it out. You can S&D as they call it here on this board.....

IF it's removable lint then I suggest the following instead of washing. Detangle your hair really well with your normal detangling technique/tool. (No tangles!)

Then take a section of hair and with a fine tooth comb, uber fine tooth, work a section gently to remove these lint bits.

This is what I do.
heidi w.

heidi w.
May 22nd, 2009, 12:22 PM
It is also a possibility that this is dried product on the hair. This can be caused by a lack of a good rinse of product out of the hair.

I find that fairly warm water is important when applying conditioner so it can more easily penetrate hair strands and bond to the cuticle. IF the water temp is too cool, conditioner (whether CO washing or Shampoo & Condition methods, whatever....same for shampoo -- it's about emulsion -- warmer temps create better emulsion -- think of your kitchen sink dishsoap. Apply cool and use in cool water, it's more viscous; warmer water, it emulsifies and bubbles) can actually tend to set up on the top of the hair and come off in flakey bits. Also the hair will have a tackier feel to it.

heidi w.

Periwinkle
May 22nd, 2009, 01:50 PM
I wash my hair in hot water and then rinse it in cold water.

I'm familiar with white dots and it's not that - this is falling out of my hair, like dandruff would, only it's spread throughout the entire length.

danacc
May 22nd, 2009, 03:49 PM
It could be shampoo or conditioner that is not completely rinsed, as Heidi suggested. Try rinsing really well with warm water. Then rinse with cool water if you want the final cuticle-closing effect.

Also think about whether there's any new product you're using. Even if it's a new bottle of the same old stuff--maybe the manufacturer changed something in the formula.