PDA

View Full Version : CO only vs. Shampoo/Soap bars

Lile
May 22nd, 2009, 05:26 AM
Here I am with a new question:-)

What I know,is that conditioners are acidic(are they?).
Good for scalp and hair shaft/I'm talking about herbal,cone free conditioners on the more expensive side,or at least,this is what I'd like to compare Shampoo/Soap bars with/
They don't strip the hair's natural oils out.

Shampoo/Soap bars:alkaline,but not harsh for the hair,skin(?).They are generally moisturizing.

What do you think,why one or the other is better?What are your experiences with them?Why did you choose either of them?
Now I have just started CO wash,and it's fine.
Just wondering about the possibilities...

whiteisle
May 22nd, 2009, 05:55 AM
I can't answer the chemistry part of you question - there are many knowledgeable people here though that can. What I can tell you is my personal preference. I like the shampoo bars (I get mine from Prairieland Herbs) because there aren't any "foreign" or harmful ingredients in them. Conditioners definitely don't strip the hair like regular shampoos but there are still just too many questionable things in them that make me want to stay away. And I find that the poo bars don't weigh my hair down like when I CO. I get clean hair with moisture and body. Love it! :D

GlassEyes
May 22nd, 2009, 06:28 AM
I'm not sure, but I read somewhere once that the only conditioners with actual 'cleaning power' are the cheapo ones. That's probably unlikely, so you may feel free to ignore that, and maybe someone can correct me. I don't even use a cheap one all the time. xD;;

AAAANYWAY, I've used both SBs and CO, and prefer CO. Do not let 'natural' fool you; some of the harshest things in the world are found in Nature. Nightshade sounds pretty, but washing your hair with it would not be a good idea. Shampoo Bars CAN be harsh, and CAN be considered 'natural' when they have SLS in them, like Lush. Even all natural chagrin valley bars can be harsh.

Also, their use is iffy with hard water, so I'd check it...somehow. With shampoo bars, I had REALLY REALLY shiny hair, but it felt coated and I still had to condition after. Sometimes they take some time to adjust to.

Shampoo bars can also be harsh because they are base instead of acidic, so it's important to do some kind of acid-based rinse after, like ACV or citric acid, the latter smelling better than the former.

Also, they ccan totally strip natural oils out if you aren't careful. That said, a lot of people do use them to great effect. Some even dilute chunks in water and wash with the resulting liquid.

andrea1982
May 22nd, 2009, 07:24 AM
If you have soft water, you may want to give shampoo bars a try first. I used them with great success (with an acidic rinse after) when I lived in an area with very soft water. No soap scum build up whatsoever, just clean, soft hair. I've done a lot of research trying to find out if shampoo bars could be damaging, and in my experience this is what I have found:

Soap based bars can be slightly alkaline, which can lift the cuticle slightly. That's why it's important to follow with a slightly acidic rinse, or at least a light conditioner (you're right, conditioners are slightly acidic). With hand made cold process soaps that are cured properly, it is my understanding that they are close to neutral PH (has anyone actually tested thiers with litmus paper? Please post if you have.) That being said, some shampoos can be slightly alkaline as well. The good ones are acidic or ph balanced.

Soap based bars may require more mechanical "scrubbing" to get hair clean, most people use two lathers and also lather the length. This could possibly cause damage in the long term.

Hand made cold process bars (like CV) also contain natural glycerine (which is moisturizing) and small amounts of oils to moisturize and condition.

Soaps definitely don't strip as much oil as detergents.

Soap contains less ingredients, generally doesn't need any preservatives, and is more environmentally friendly than shampoo. (both because of less packaging, and soap runoff is friendlier to our oceans and rivers).

In hard water soap combines with minerals in the water to form insoluble salts (soap scum) which is difficult to remove because insoluble means it doesn't dissolve in water. This causes a waxy buildup on hair.

Hope that helps. It's not a black and white issue, you really need to experiment and see what your hair likes.

sandigirl
May 22nd, 2009, 07:27 AM
I cannot imagine CO for me. My hair is very thick and my scalp needs cleansing-- especially after a lot of sweating. I use Garnier Fructis shampoo and conditioner. My hair is like silk.

andrea1982
May 22nd, 2009, 07:28 AM
With CO washing, most people find light conditioners work best, because they don't leave much behind on the hair, and are therefore more cleansing. Some people use a really light conditioner on their scalp , and a heavier one on the length. Many people use this method with great success. It's very gentle on hair, but some people's scalps don't like it. I think it may cause shedding for me, but I'm still experimenting. It also is less environmentally friendly than shampoo bars, because of all the extra bottles (you really have to use a lot).

Madame J
May 22nd, 2009, 07:30 AM
I will say, I've been at a conference this week and using a Kiss My Face conditioner with my 'poo bar, and then I did a CO wash this morning after going running (don't want to be stinky when I'm schmoozing). It's been so long since I've used a conditioner that I forgot how much I missed the fragrance of a natural condish. But I like the economy of buying huge glass bottles of ACV and a teensy, paper-wrapped bar of shampoo and not having to worry about disposing of plastic bottles.

(When my hair gets longer, I might keep a bottle of conditioner around with the excuse that I'll want to do SMTs)

rogue_psyche
May 23rd, 2009, 12:51 AM
I am new here, but have been taking observations on my own hair for a while. I think you can't just decide on one method and do that every day. While it is a good idea to wash your hair regularly for hygienic reasons, washing daily will dry out your hair, allowing for more tangles and the split ends caused by combing out tangles.

What works for me is CWCing every 2-3 days. I wash with Chagrin Valley bars. I like CV's scents and very pronouncible ingredients list. I find the best way to use them is to cut off chunks of the bar and soak it in water before a wash. In a few moments you'll have sudsy water which is easily lathered in the hair without using much soap or rubbing the bar against your head. The remaining chunk can be saved for next time you wash. Conditioning before a wash prevents the soap from taking too much moisture from your hair. Like some other members here, I have a cheap cone-free condish for the 1st conditioner, and a high-quality cone free for the 2nd.

If I need to shower between wash days, I CO with a light but moisturizing conditioner. I can't get my hair wet day three if I don't want it to look all piecey and gross.

You just need to find the right balance for you. Don't feel bad if you have to wash two days in a row once in a while, or if your hair gets too dry despite your efforts. Listen to your hair and it will tell you exactly how to take care of it. It just takes time.

jera
May 23rd, 2009, 01:51 AM
With CO washing, most people find light conditioners work best, because they don't leave much behind on the hair, and are therefore more cleansing. Some people use a really light conditioner on their scalp , and a heavier one on the length. Many people use this method with great success. It's very gentle on hair, but some people's scalps don't like it. I think it may cause shedding for me, but I'm still experimenting. It also is less environmentally friendly than shampoo bars, because of all the extra bottles (you really have to use a lot).

I too like CO for cleansing both hair and scalp. Pantene Daily Moisture Renewal works well for me. I use it on both length and massage it into my scalp because I workout and sweat. It cleans my scalp and my hair and leaves both hydrated. My hair feels so silky with it. I really like this stuff. It took me forever to find a condish I could do a CO wash with. It's good to have finally accomplished that. :D

:cheese:

Eden Iris
May 23rd, 2009, 11:40 AM
I prefer shampoo bars because they generate less waste and I can go a week or more between washings (save water, save time). With CO I'd have to wash three or more times a week, and that's a lot of bottles. I use CO on my daughters' hair, but they're young and don't need washing more often than once a week (also they wouldn't tolerate a two-step process).

I do need to clarify my hair once a month or so to remove buildup; no method (so far) is perfect.

Fethenwen
May 23rd, 2009, 11:43 AM
I've had experience with both. Before I started no poo I used Lush shampoo bars. They where nice, and made my hair squeaky clean. I think that's the reason some people find them good.
BUT, today I would never use one, for that very reason. My hair is so much more happy with CO.

I cannot imagine CO for me. My hair is very thick and my scalp needs cleansing-- especially after a lot of sweating. I use Garnier Fructis shampoo and conditioner. My hair is like silk.
Whaaat! :bigeyes: I'm amazed that you are able to have such nice hair with Fructis. I remember a few years ago when my hair was a total mess, my hairdresser asked what shampoo I used and I said Fructis. She said to me that I should throw it in the garbage right away. She was right, it was the shampoo that was destroying my hair.
But, as I have noticed via LHC, our hair differences can be huge. Some things works wonders for someone while that same thing may be disastrous for another.

Fractalsofhair
May 23rd, 2009, 01:05 PM
Doc Bronner's soap bars worked wonderfully on my virgin hair, in an area with hard water.(Can pipes make water soft, because my water acts like soft water? We have copper piping in both houses in the area that I've lived in.) Conditioner only works well on my damaged hair, but I find that my conditioner is too expensive to use for that, and I like shampoo to get rid of a weird smell my scalp gets if I don't wash daily.(I swear, I have no other strong body odor, but my scalp! XD) I use Alaffia, which is natural and very gentle. Their conditioner is basically shea butter and some other things mixed in(Honey, and other oils, and something to make it a cream.), and the shampoo is basically African black soap.

florenonite
May 23rd, 2009, 02:10 PM
I imagine CO washing is gentler, as it left me with a greasy mess atop my head whilst 'poo bars actually clean my hair :p