PDA

View Full Version : Scalp Problems - Help!

busnutmedic
April 7th, 2008, 02:47 PM
My sister and I were watching an family video - it's about 3 years old. We were noticing that her hair, which was down, was a whole lot thicker then. Mine was up, but I'm almost 100% sure the same could be said of my hair. I mean, my hair was thicker just last YEAR! I just don't know what's going on.

We both have hair that is past waist length, have never used any dyes (I did use some peroxide foam years ago to try to make highlights, I'm not sure if it even worked), never use curling irons, she keeps hers up all of the time and I have been keeping mine braided.

So I'm starting to wonder why both of our heads have started to thin. She's three years older than me, but we're *nowhere* near major hormonal changes (that I know of, unless there's a big one in your early twenties!).

Let me just tell you that I always seem to have "gunk" in my hair, like little white things that come out if I run my hands through my hair and over my scalp. It feels good on the night before washing because I know I can rub my head down without worrying about looking greasy the next day. If I scrape my fingernails over my head, I can almost always collect a fair amount of what I assume is skin. It's not a problem immediately after washing, but if I wash it in the morning I can feel it by night.

She seems to have the same kind of thing, but lately she mentioned that it's getting itchier. Is it possible that we both have some kind of fungal scalp problem?

At the moment, I wash about every other day and I think she washes about the same, but with different products.

Can anyone help :( I'm going nuts kind of, because I know I read about some women here with patches that went very thin due to a scalp problem. Could anyone share their experiences? (Or speculation!).

Bonnie

Áine
April 7th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Well, I used to have a HUGE problem with that when I used shampoo for YEARS. I would wash, and still never get my scalp free of that white gunk. About a year ago I starting COing, and it got to be a bit less of the white gunk, fairly minimal, if not unnoticeable. But the problem with COing is that it makes my scalp incredibly itchy.

This past weekend I did a baking soda wash, on my scalp only, and I felt a cleanliness I hadn't felt since as far back as I can remember. I think I will be using baking soda to wash my scalp after conditioning from now on. I just love the feeling.

Now, I don't know what kind of products you use, or what your regimen is, but maybe one weekend you and your sister can experiment with different clarifiers for your scalp.