PDA

View Full Version : Article of interest on ...

wahmof9
May 21st, 2009, 08:19 PM
Terminal length:

Some people naturally have the ability to grow hair longer than others. This is primarily due to the length of the anagen or growing phase of the hair's life cycle. The average anagen phase is between two and six years; a longer phase simply gives hair more time to grow. During this time the speed of hair growth may vary according to diet, genetics and hormonal changes.
According to Clarence R. Robbins in Chemical and Physical Behavior of Human Hair (Springer, 2002), most humans can grow their hair as long as 100-150cm. Long hair contests demonstrate that this is by no means the upper limit – the current world record holder for long hair, Xie Qiuping, boasts tresses more than 5.6 metres long.
Does All Scalp Hair Grow to the Same Length?

People who never trim their hair often find that some hairs grow longer than others. Hair on the top of the head grows faster than hair around the temples and the nape of the neck. These slower hairs are also finer and weaker, making them more prone to damage. As a result these hairs are often shorter, creating a V-shape at the tips of the hair (known as the hemline). Some people also notice quirks in their hair growth such as hair growing longer/faster on one side of the head, or a few 'racer' hairs which remain a few inches longer than the rest.
False Terminal Length

Although it is common for people to state their hair 'doesn't grow' beyond shoulder-length or a similarly short terminal length, this is in fact very rare. Damaging haircare practices may result in so much damage and breakage that hair tapers dramatically; however, this does not indicate true terminal length. False terminal length may also be caused by resting periods in the hair's growth, or by previous haircuts which have already consumed the lifespan (and thus length) of a large number of hairs. Long hair experts recommend waiting a year or two from the point when the hair appears to stop growing, while using gentle hair care practices and maintaining good nutrition, before deciding that it has truly achieved its terminal length.
Short Terminal Length in Movies

One reason why many people think waist length or above is 'average' terminal length is due to the movies. Historical films tend to ignore actual historical haircare fashions and instead portray fantasized versions in keeping with modern sensibilities. As a result, not only are historical women routinely shown with their heads bare (inappropriate during most periods of Western history), but with their hair down – another historical faux pas – and at bra-strap or waist length. During periods when women kept their hair long, a more realistic length would be thigh-length; however, perhaps feeling that this would be seen as too extreme, filmmakers tend to opt for shorter looks.

Cinnamon Hair
May 21st, 2009, 09:47 PM
Good article. Did you write it yourself or find it somewhere?

wahmof9
May 22nd, 2009, 12:09 AM
Good article. Did you write it yourself or find it somewhere?
Gosh no, I did not write it. I was looking for some information while I was "hair dreaming" wondering if I would "ever" have long hair at all...the article made me feel much better that if I wait I can have long hair too...sigh! Why does hair takes so darn long to grow?

LadyEliza
May 22nd, 2009, 12:18 AM
5.6 metres long???

Metres? Did they say METRES???

That's over 18 foot...

That's over 216 inches!

I have a feeling that's a mistake.

Flynn
May 22nd, 2009, 12:23 AM
Doubt it. It's a world record, so you'd expect it to be pretty ridiculously long...

LadyEliza
May 22nd, 2009, 12:23 AM
Third picture down

http://christinelim-xq.blogspot.com/2008/08/omg1-worlds-longest-finger-nails-lee.html

Helen Baq
May 22nd, 2009, 12:45 AM
Nice article, thanks for posting it. :D

5.6 metres long???

Metres? Did they say METRES???

That's over 18 foot...

That's over 216 inches!

I have a feeling that's a mistake.

Nope that's not a mistake. She has the current Guinness World Record for longest hair (http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/records/human_body/extreme_bodies/longest_hair.aspx). :)

enfys
May 22nd, 2009, 02:11 PM
Ok that lady has long hair....

It's a pretty good article I'd say, makes a lot of sense. Especially the bit about films skewing views.

hazelnut
May 22nd, 2009, 05:40 PM
Thank you for posting this article. I feel so much better knowing that my hair CAN actually get to my goal length: tailbone. :)

Fractalsofhair
May 22nd, 2009, 05:48 PM
Ah fewh! I find it interesting with historical movies the mistakes that are made. Hair seems to be one of them, body and otherwise(Women in the 1600s didn't shave! Or pluck their eyebrows(For the most part.). They also blackened their teeth to be fashionable, the wealthy ones at least. They also didn't look thin to be pretty, women had curves and corsets for the most part, the corsets might change the shape of the curves, but wealthy women were not twigs!) A lot of people also think it's healthy to do damaging things to their hair(Flatironing multiple times daily, bleaching at a salon, using harsh shampoo and NO conditioner at all.) and don't have the slightest idea how to take care of it, and as a result have hair that has issues growing long. A lot of people would also be offended at movies if a woman had her hair covered, if it was a western movie, and if the makeup and such are historically accurate. Women used to cake on white lead paint in effect, and not a lot of movie goers wouldn't be creeped out by the extreme pallor. There's fair skin, and then there is a level where a lot of people get creeped out. It's also like showing women riding, which wouldn't have been socially appropriate for a lot of history.

MsBubbles
May 22nd, 2009, 08:44 PM
OK Which one of us LHCers wrote that article?! :D

I enjoyed it.