PDA

View Full Version : itchy patches on scalp, advise?

wintersun99
May 21st, 2009, 06:45 PM
Ever since I stopped using henna, I've had itchy scalp issue. It's primarily around the hairline, it's noticeable red, dry, itchy, patchy skin.

I've tried using shampoo bar, gentle shampoo (non sulphate), CO only, ACV rinses, etc. I've tried coconut oil both on the scalp and off... I've also tried using MN and not using MN. I can't figure this out. Nothing is making a difference in eliminating these patches.

The only thing that relieves the scalp is henna (the tannins in henna, that is.) This is not a new condition, it's been happening for years, which is why I started using henna back in '03 and why I always henna'd monthly... Henna relieved and the itchy patches remained at bay for just about a month, than came back. Like clockwork.

Does anyone have any ideas what is going on? or other ideas of things I could try? I'm about to go WO but really don't want to. :confused:

ETA: it may be back to henna if I can't solve this, but that is not ideal either...

mira-chan
May 21st, 2009, 06:54 PM
Maybe try neem oil. That tends to help. I really like a coconut/castor/neem mix for an extra itchy scalp.

Flynn
May 21st, 2009, 06:54 PM
Something moisturising with a lot of vitamin E, maybe? (How does coconut oil actually stand on that front? I don't know...)

How long has it been since you stopped? Maybe it's one of those things you can just ride out until it settles in to your new, henna-free regime?

If it's tannins that help, what might a cold-pressed nut oil (hazelnut, walnut, pecan) or a spice infusion (cloves, cinnamon, vanilla, thyme -- okay, that's a herb, but still...) do for it?

wintersun99
May 21st, 2009, 06:59 PM
How long has it been since you stopped? Maybe it's one of those things you can just ride out until it settles in to your new, henna-free regime?

It's only been about 2 months since I've last henna'd. I did cassia last week'ish, but that doesn't seem to have the same positive effect on the scalp, that henna did. :(

ktani
May 21st, 2009, 08:12 PM
It's only been about 2 months since I've last henna'd. I did cassia last week'ish, but that doesn't seem to have the same positive effect on the scalp, that henna did. :(

Try catnip. Even though you now colour with cassia, catnip is a specific for scalp irritation, so you can just apply it there, not necessarily on your hair too.

wintersun99
May 21st, 2009, 09:48 PM
Catnip! doh. I forgot all about that possibility and I do have some on hand. :)

ktani
May 21st, 2009, 09:58 PM
Catnip! doh. I forgot all about that possibility and I do have some on hand. :)

It should help but you need to determine the cause of the problem.

I use catnip on my hair and scalp all of the time. Sometimes my scalp gets itchy but I can trace that directly to my diet and not drinking enough water. When I adjust those 2 things, no itchy scalp.

wintersun99
May 22nd, 2009, 08:48 AM
I am positive that I've been dehydrated for some time. I used to be very aware of how much water I drank, but lately all I do is sip coffee at work an have a glass or two of water or juice in the evening. I will increase my water intake, as well.