PDA

View Full Version : Losing hair

babbleball
May 21st, 2009, 01:44 PM
Lately I have been losing handfuls of hair. Last night I counted how many hairs I lost with just a gentle finger comb. I counted 40 hairs. I lost as many if not more in the shower that morning. This is in addition to the fur coat I have been pulling off my shoulders and the long hairs my fiance has been lovingly pulling from my cleavage (he would notice!)

Not a month ago I had a healthy circumference to my hair, about the size of a US dollar coin. I went from a US dollar coin to a US nickel. I have fine hair to begin with so I was pretty happy with the relative thickness of my hair.

Healthwise I feel the same as I did before, maybe ever so slightly more tired, maybe a better way to decribe it would be languid. It's definitely warming up here in Texas and I just don't feel as active when it's so danged warm out. I don't have anymore stress at home or work than I did a month ago.

I have started washing my hair every other day or so, but wash days or not I'm losing roughly the same amount of hair. I use the same shampoo that I have in the past. Pretty much the same everything, except the occasional heavy oiling with coconut oil. I'm doing that about once a week. ( I slather a good two tablespoons root to tip, loosely pull it back and have a nice long relaxing bath.)

I'm thinking that I should wait a month or so to see if the hair loss evens out and I can chalk it up to a summer shed or something benign like that. I'm probably making to much of the situation anyways. I mean the hair that isn't falling out is growing like weeds. I have a good two- two and half inches of growth since I started here in March. That and my fingernails and eyebrows are growing faster than I can keep up with.

If anyone has anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated, even 'calm down' would be welcomed.

P.S. I'm pretty sure this is the only place that I can say I counted how many hairs I lost after a gentle finger comb and I won't get strange or confused looks.

Boudicca
May 21st, 2009, 01:51 PM
Well, you can lose about 150 hairs a day on average, so what you are noticing just now doesn't sound too excessive. It may just be, as you say, a summer shed. To put your mind at ease, why not visit the doctor and ask for a thyroid test and hormone panel - plus general bloods just to make sure that everything is running tickety-boo?

babbleball
May 21st, 2009, 02:01 PM
Well, you can lose about 150 hairs a day on average, so what you are noticing just now doesn't sound too excessive. It may just be, as you say, a summer shed. To put your mind at ease, why not visit the doctor and ask for a thyroid test and hormone panel - plus general bloods just to make sure that everything is running tickety-boo?

I understand that what I'm losing is not anymore than the mythical average but it's well more than average for me. :( Man I hate "wasting" money at the doctor. I know it's not truly wasted if something is wrong but If I'm not dying I don't want to be there.

Rapunzal2Be
May 21st, 2009, 02:21 PM
Going through pretty much the same thing right now, so I wanted to offer my support and hugs. :) And to tell you to calm down, ha ha!

Can't say if it's helping or not, but I'm taking garlic (worked wonders at first, but now the shedding is back) and drinking fenugreek tea, doing fenugreek treatments on my scalp, and continuing with my nioxin, monistat and bhrenji oil.

Susana
May 21st, 2009, 02:23 PM
I am so sorry. One thing I acn think of is that as my hair got longer I noticed the hair I lost more because it was longer, when it was short I rarely noticed it. But if you are losing thickness I doubt that is the problem. It could be something like Accutane or the birth control pill if you are on one. Best of luck!!

jera
May 21st, 2009, 02:29 PM
Are you on yaz or any other birth control pills?:confused: That can cause frightening loss. If so, consult your doctor and quit BCP. There're one of the worst things for hair if you react badly t them. Also, it is normal to lose 50-100 hairs per day, but your hair circumference shouldn't go from the size of a US half dollar to a nickel so fast. :( Not to be alarming, but if you talk to your HCP about this, it might relieve your mind.

Redheaded Raven
May 21st, 2009, 02:31 PM
The very first thing that I would check would be iron levels. Over 70 percent of shedding that is not Male or Female pattern balding, is in someway due to low iron levels. Even with thyroid issues most of the blood tests show low iron levels as well. If you don't go to a Dr., give blood, they will check your hemoglobin, not the same as ferritin but will give you a ballpark figure.:p But with being lethargic I think that it is all about the iron levels. But having a Dr check is your best bet. Although they will say that it is fine, when it is too low for hair. But safe is best.:rolleyes:

babbleball
May 21st, 2009, 02:35 PM
Going through pretty much the same thing right now, so I wanted to offer my support and hugs. :) And to tell you to calm down, ha ha!

Can't say if it's helping or not, but I'm taking garlic (worked wonders at first, but now the shedding is back) and drinking fenugreek tea, doing fenugreek treatments on my scalp, and continuing with my nioxin, monistat and bhrenji oil.

Thanks for the support and the calm down! :)

I am so sorry. One thing I acn think of is that as my hair got longer I noticed the hair I lost more because it was longer, when it was short I rarely noticed it. But if you are losing thickness I doubt that is the problem. It could be something like Accutane or the birth control pill if you are on one. Best of luck!!

I thought that at first but then I noticed how thin it had gotten. I take nothing. Nothing prescribed or over the counter. Regularly that is. I never have. I take advil when I get headaches and that's about it.

babbleball
May 21st, 2009, 02:38 PM
Are you on yaz or any other birth control pills?:confused: That can cause frightening loss. If so, consult your doctor and quit BCP. There're one of the worst things for hair if you react badly t them. Also, it is normal to lose 50-100 hairs per day, but your hair circumference shouldn't go from the size of a US half dollar to a nickel so fast. :( Not to be alarming, but if you talk to your HCP about this, it might relieve your mind.

No birth control pills. I'm actually trying to get pregnant. I wish my hair was ever as thick as a half dollar! Just about the size of a dollar coin, a little bigger than a quarter.

babbleball
May 21st, 2009, 02:41 PM
The very first thing that I would check would be iron levels. Over 70 percent of shedding that is not Male or Female pattern balding, is in someway due to low iron levels. Even with thyroid issues most of the blood tests show low iron levels as well. If you don't go to a Dr., give blood, they will check your hemoglobin, not the same as ferritin but will give you a ballpark figure.:p But with being lethargic I think that it is all about the iron levels. But having a Dr check is your best bet. Although they will say that it is fine, when it is too low for hair. But safe is best.:rolleyes:

Can I get lowered iron levels if I'm an avid carnivore? Literally I eat red meat at least once a day or I really do get grumpy and tired. Maybe I'm sensitive to iron?

jera
May 21st, 2009, 02:43 PM
No birth control pills. I'm actually trying to get pregnant. I wish my hair was ever as thick as a half dollar! Just about the size of a dollar coin, a little bigger than a quarter.

Then I'm stumped. I can't think of anything that would cause such a fast shed except perhaps a seasonal shed? Do you usually shed in the spring/summer? :confused: Many people do. Hmmmnnn. :rolleyes:

amaiaisabella
May 21st, 2009, 02:44 PM
I lost a lot of hairs when oiling (I was literally pulling out handfuls) so while it was moisturizing, oiling was not a good choice for me :)

Redheaded Raven
May 21st, 2009, 02:48 PM
Yes, I use iron skillets and still had low iron and I eat meat regularly. I was just having long and frequent periods, and nose bleeds. It can happen. We can shed more blood than we realize. Somewhere I read that almost 50 percent of young woman are iron deficient.:rolleyes:

babbleball
May 21st, 2009, 02:49 PM
Then I'm stumped. I can't think of anything that would cause such a fast shed except perhaps a seasonal shed? Do you usually shed in the spring/summer? :confused: Many people do. Hmmmnnn. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping that's what it is. I hope I'm just noticing it more now that I notice my hair more since joining the LHC.

babbleball
May 21st, 2009, 02:58 PM
Yes, I use iron skillets and still had low iron and I eat meat regularly. I was just having long and frequent periods, and nose bleeds. It can happen. We can shed more blood than we realize. Somewhere I read that almost 50 percent of young woman are iron deficient.:rolleyes:

Interesting. Probably TMI, I have a really long cycle, I get my period about once every 40-45 days. I have always had long cycles like that, I don't have PCOS just long cycles. My periods last about 5 days.

When I don't have a less than year old tattoo I give blood regularly, I only got turned away once for low iron when I was a vegetarian (that didn't last long! too tired!).

They didn't take blood at my last well woman in march, which was just weird since they usually take a blood sample. Maybe I should make an appoinment for blood work. I mean I'm paying for health insurance for a reason, the ability to see a doctor when I want to see a doctor.

Boudicca
May 21st, 2009, 03:18 PM
I understand that what I'm losing is not anymore than the mythical average but it's well more than average for me. :( Man I hate "wasting" money at the doctor. I know it's not truly wasted if something is wrong but If I'm not dying I don't want to be there.

Eek - sorry, I forgot that you guys have to pay for the doctor. Maybe wait it out to see if it's a seasonal shed?

Eryka
May 21st, 2009, 05:09 PM
Without knowing all of your symptoms its hard to suggest anything but, random hairloss reminded me of what I am going through right now. Over the past year or so I have lost about 30% of my hair due to a Candida Overgrowth problem. This is when the Candida yeast overpowers the healthy bacteria in your system and throws it out of whack. Most doctors don't catch it because the symptoms are totally random. Dry skin, hair loss and slowed growth even on legs and pubic region, redness and dry eyes, fatigue, depression, flu and respriatory like symptoms, loss of sex drive, blurry vision. Seriously, all totally random things.

From the sounds of it you don't have a doctor you like, so be prepared for an ill reception on these ideas. Many will say that if you're not an immuno-compromised person, (like someone who has AIDS or HIV) that it is impossible to get. That is complete bulls*it. The best way is to test yourself by seeing how you feel after eating specific things. Personally, I got a huge fever and instant depression when I hate anything with carbs (bread, pasta, rice, potatos, etc) and sugar, even fruit. The only time I felt good was when I had meat and veggies, with plain water. If you feel sick eating anything but meat and veggies, Candida Overgrowth might be your problem.

I have no clue if this is what you're going through but, it was a relief to find out that I wasn't nuts or had something hugely wrong with me. You'll pull through hon, we'll be with you all the way. *hugs*

Candida Overgrowth Info:
http://www.candidafree.net