PDA

View Full Version : Comb when wet or dry?

cleanbug
May 21st, 2009, 02:36 PM
Hello to the group.
I've been reading & seen several comments about hair being fragile when wet. I always have a brush in the shower & while I have conditioner in my hair, I usually use the brush & gently detangle.
Is this bad? Should I let it air dry & then brush once completely dry?
What do most of you do? Brush when dry or wet?

SimplyViki
May 21st, 2009, 02:39 PM
Well, I use a wide-tooth plastic comb in the shower. It's pink and chubby and has little plastic balls on the ends of the teeth. I basically do the same as you do, just with a comb instead of a brush. I think it's a little easier to break or stretch the hairs if you use a brush, so that's why people like to use a wide tooth comb instead. I use a brush when my hair is dry if it happens to be tangled, though.

GeoJ
May 21st, 2009, 03:11 PM
I generally only comb when my hair is dry and never brush (I have wavy hair so brush = frizzy for me).

There are a few times when I have combed in the shower, but only when my hair was loaded with conditioner.

I am talking about wide-toothed combs, sorry I didn't specify that in my sentences above.

:)

Norai
May 21st, 2009, 03:14 PM
I have always brushed/combed (I use a tangle teezer now) after towel drying my hair. It's just so much more slippery when it's wet, I don't hit any large tangles at all since using a vinegar rinse. I also like to part it when it's wet, and I can't part it without combing it.

I have heard many times that you should comb when dry to avoid breakage, but if I wait until it's dry it always seems much more tangle-y? :confused:

AJoifulNoise
May 21st, 2009, 03:19 PM
I comb right after my shower, usually. As long as you are gentle and don't notice a lot of breakage, you should be fine.

jera
May 21st, 2009, 03:22 PM
I never use brushes anymore - ever. :( Bad for the hair. And I don't use a comb in the shower, but wrap my hair in a towel after, and then gently comb out with a wide tooth comb after I've unwarpped my hair from the towel. Then I let it all air dry which takes a few hours but is worth the time invested. :)

OhioLisa
May 21st, 2009, 03:32 PM
I never use brushes anymore - ever. :( Bad for the hair. And I don't use a comb in the shower, but wrap my hair in a towel after, and then gently comb out with a wide tooth comb after I've unwarpped my hair from the towel. Then I let it all air dry which takes a few hours but is worth the time invested. :)

Pretty much the same here, except I don't wrap my hair in a towel at all.

Grenwich
May 21st, 2009, 03:33 PM
I don't even own a brush anymore - I've got a couple of wide-toothed combs for detangling after it's mostly dry and a MP dressing comb (a C1 I think) for shining it up a bit when it's completely dry.

I would say - brushing in the shower....not so good.

spidermom
May 21st, 2009, 03:41 PM
It's fine to comb hair when it's wet but don't brush it. (according to general wisdom, but do what you like; it's your hair)

longhairedfairy
May 21st, 2009, 04:48 PM
I think it depends on the person. I comb gently when it's damp or wet, but I usually use a small amount of camellia oil when I do this. Everyone is different, so do what works for you. :)

JamieLeigh
May 21st, 2009, 04:50 PM
I comb mine when it's dry, only if it's tangly. If it's not, I just finger-comb it when it looks too bushy.

Combing in the shower while conditioner is in sounds like it would work fine. Probably the best time to detangle. Mine is just so long, it's a hassle to try it while showering.

mira-chan
May 21st, 2009, 07:03 PM
I only comb when my hair is completely dry if it really needs it. Mostly I finger comb.

CLynn
May 21st, 2009, 07:09 PM
I always comb my hair, soaking wet or completly dry. It was the brushing that used to snag and damage my hair.

cleanbug
May 21st, 2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks for everyones replies...I should have clarified. I use the tangle teaser brush...there are no nubbies on the end of the bristle & they seem to just push over when they encounter a tangle. I am very gentle too.

I think I was most concerned with if i should be brushing/combing at all when wet. I see that some do & others wait for it to dry. I think for me, if i wait until it was dry, it would dry funny. Once my hair is longer, I could let it dry & then brush because the weight would encourage it to dry strait instead of flipped up here or there.

Themyst
May 21st, 2009, 07:33 PM
I always comb mine when it is wet. It would be a tangled mess if I waited until it dried.:eek:

curls2grow
May 21st, 2009, 07:42 PM
I don't own a brush anymore. I use a wide-tooth comb on my hair when it's wet and has leave-in applied; otherwise I still can't get a comb through it. :( Sometimes I'd like to comb it when it's dry to try it (not sure why though!) but I'm afraid of breakage then.

I don't understand how combing dry hair isn't damaging to it. Seriously, can someone please explain to me?

Speckla
May 21st, 2009, 08:21 PM
I don't own a brush anymore. I use a wide-tooth comb on my hair when it's wet and has leave-in applied; otherwise I still can't get a comb through it. :( Sometimes I'd like to comb it when it's dry to try it (not sure why though!) but I'm afraid of breakage then.

I don't understand how combing dry hair isn't damaging to it. Seriously, can someone please explain to me?

I think straight hair is easier because it doesn't have the twist and kinks that our hair does that will cause the comb to get caught.

Sarahmoon
May 21st, 2009, 08:44 PM
I prefer to wait until my hair is completely dry (don't always have the opportunity though). I can't stand the sound or feeling of combing wet hair :shudder:. And I don't use brushes anymore.

Teacherbear
May 21st, 2009, 08:45 PM
I comb on wet hair only. Actually, I use my Denman brush on wet or dry hair, but if I am going to use a comb, I will only do it on wet hair. I feel I shed too much when I comb dry hair.