PDA

View Full Version : I need some help...how to oil??

redneckprincess
May 21st, 2009, 01:17 PM
Ok so I have used oil in my hair before but I want to make sure Im doing it right...
Bottle says to warm, do I HAVE to? why?
how much should I use?
how to apply? do I just put it in my hands and massage through?
roots only or entire leingth?
Should I apply to wet or dry hair?
If wet, do I wash* and cond. first?
do I shampoo and cond. out?
how long do I leave on?
should I put a shower cap and towel over?
should I apply heat?

oh I have placenta oil, jojobia and evoo, which should I use or mix?

*I am a shampoo user though not all the time only every other wash {although right now while trying to fade Manic Panic Red I have been shampooing every shower}

Thanks in advance, I will wait for a few responces and either apply this afternoon (im really in need of a shower and shampoo, lol) or wait til I have more time tomorrow (I will shower my body today either way though, lol) ♥

fishwich
May 21st, 2009, 01:35 PM
The oil will warm on your hair. Unless it's solid or partially-solid, you really don't need to do anything to it before you put it on.

As for wet/dry, there are people who do both. I personally put it (olive oil) on dry hair. And I don't do anything special to it, I just pour a bit on the ends, comb it a bit to distribute it, braid/bun it, and forget about it. It usually ends up staying in anywhere between a few hours and a day or two--until my next shower, basically. It doesn't need extra heat or any sort of special treatment, at least not in my experience. Try a few different things and see what works best!

SimplyViki
May 21st, 2009, 01:37 PM
Whoa! What a lot of questions!
Um... I don't warm it, unless it's coconut oil, in which case I just rub it between my palms to liquefy it. The bottle probably says to warm it so it'll be like a hot oil treatment (which some people like - I never noticed much difference).
I use just enough to cover my palms (and the palm side of my fingers) with a light sheen of oil, sometimes a little more just for extra measure.
Yup, I just put it on my hands and sort of massage through - I first do the ends, to make sure they get the most of it, and then go back through the length starting at the level of my ears. Some people press their palms together on either side of their hair to apply, and slide down, I like to sort of finger comb it in.
I've applied it to wet and dry hair, it doesn't make much of a difference for me, but some people notice a difference and prefer it one way or the other, so experiment and see which is best for you.
I've also applied a very heavy amount before a shampoo, left it in for a good long while, and then washed it out. I generally just apply it after shampoo and conditioner though.
For everyday oiling, if you're using a "light sheen" amount like I described on the palms of your hands, you don't need to wash it out until your next washing, it's just to make sure the length of your hair gets as much moisture, if not more, than the roots of your hair (since they get the oil from your scalp, naturally).
I haven't tried using a towel or shower cap over it, so I can't comment on that, except to say that you'd probably only do that when you're doing it before a wash, not after - cause you'd be using less oil after a wash.

Um... never heard of placenta oil. I've used jojoba and EVOO, both are fine, but I don't like the smell of the olive oil too much. I also like sweet almond and coconut oils.

You can apply heat if you want, if you're doing a hot oil treatment, it might help it penetrate more, but make sure you're careful and don't burn your hair.

Flaxen
May 21st, 2009, 01:46 PM
Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=71) is the Oiling Tutorial from the Articles Section. :grin:

cleanbug
May 21st, 2009, 01:46 PM
HI there,
from what I have learned there are 2 basic ways to oil.
1) Daily Oiling - spread about a pea size dollop of cocunut oil on palms, spread together & run it on hair ends when dry. If your hair is really long, you would need more.

2) Heavy Oiling - I use about 3-4 tbsp of Grapeseed oil (my favorite). Spread 1 tbsp at a time on palms (it's quite runny) & spread it though damp hair. Add remaining tbsp to hair until it is well oiled. Put hair up in a twist or bun & let sit for a few hrs.
After 2 hrs, I wash with diluted shampoo & rinse well.

I only shampoo once a week & (CO wash the rest of the week) so I always oil just prior to shampoo washes because I find the grapeseed oil need shampoo to get it out.

My hair responds wonderfully to this treatment. My hair feels so soft & tangle free after this treatment.

ademtce
May 21st, 2009, 01:49 PM
this is what i do.

• Clarify, and towel dry. (no conditioner)
• Apply EVOO to entire length (including scalp) massage it through. mainly focussing on the ends.
- the amount varies, i just apply till it feels saturated.
• I usually let it sit for 2hrs. occasionally adding heat with the blowdryer on med heat for 3 mins.
- i do this twice one after applied and 15 mins before i wash it out.
• I wash it out using SLS free shampoo in small amounts, i let the shampoo sit for a few mins.
- it make take a few washes to get it all out of my hair.
- depending on how my hair feels after i will apply a light conditioner after. then rinse.

this is the method i do for a quick treatment, if i want a long one ill just apply the oil to clean hair and let it sit over night (about 8hrs of letting it sit in my hair if not longer). i always get great results both ways.

redneckprincess
May 21st, 2009, 01:54 PM
thank you all I have ovbiously been using WAY to much oil when oiling my hair, ........thats why I asked!!!!
and FLAXEN I should have thought to look it up before posting, sorry lol ♥

lora410
May 21st, 2009, 02:01 PM
I use a drop rubbed between my palms and apply from the eary down

I do this after every shower and sometimes every morning

oil for heavy oilings on wash days for my scalp- I do a pre mixed scalp (every 3 days) and on length and about a a tsp from ears down; bun up hair for atleast one hour before shampooing.

Samitra
May 21st, 2009, 02:06 PM
I have only been oiling for a short time, but I found out pretty fast what worked for me.
But this seems to be different for everyone, so you probably have to do some experimenting before finding the perfect oiling method..

I have two methods of oiling, and I use sweet almond oil for both:
A) as a leave in after washing. It makes my ends very soft, and I can do it after every wash since it doesn't take much time.
OR
B) as a heavy oil treatment before washing. Takes a bit more planning, and I don't enjoy going around with greasy hair. But I do it occasionally. But If I use to much oil, I get a hard time trying to remove it.

Bottle says to warm, do I HAVE to? why?
Only if you want to do a hot oil treatment. I've never done that, so I can't help with this question.

how much should I use?
A) When I use oil as some sort of leave-in I use a total amount of 4-6 drops of sweet almond oil.'
OR
B) For a deep treatment before washing I use a lot more. But I start with a small amount and add more until it feels greasy enough. :D

how to apply? do I just put it in my hands and massage through?
roots only or entire leingth?
A) I part my hair as if I was going to make two braids, one on each side of the head. Then I put 1 drop of oil on my hands and rub them together so I get a thin layer of oil on my palms. Then I slide my hands through the lenght on one side. Then I take another drop of oil, make sure my palms get a light sheen of oil, and massage it into my ends. Then I repeat with the other section of hair. I try to not get it close to my scalp, because it will make it look greasy faster.
OR
B) I do as above, but with a lot more oil

Should I apply to wet or dry hair?
A) Wet hair
OR
B) Dry hair

If wet, do I wash* and cond. first?
A) Yes. That's what I do. The oil is my leave-in

do I shampoo and cond. out?
B) Only the pre-wash treatment.

how long do I leave on?
A) Until next wash (48h or so. I wash every other day) You can't see that there's oil in my hair.
OR
B) I usually do a heavy oiling the night before washing. Sometimes I oil only 1-2 hours before washing. I haven't noticed a difference. But I try not to do a heavy oiling when I'm expecting a visit or have to go grocery shopping, because my hair looks incredibly greasy.

should I put a shower cap and towel over?
I've never done that, and I've never felt the need to. Even if the body heat might be good when I do a heavy oiling (B)

should I apply heat?
Never tried it. But I'm sure someone has and can help you out :)

English isn't my natal language, and I realized it was not easy to try to explain two things at the same time. Feel fre to ask about anything that isn't clear enough.

redneckprincess
May 21st, 2009, 05:37 PM
I got it all samitra, Thank You!!!

you are all so helpful, as I thought I was doing it wrong this whole time (which is only a few sparatic times over the last several years)...I think I understand now, wow this 8 oz bottle should last me forever, I do believe my DD12 will be recieving oil treatments also...
Thanks again♥