PDA

View Full Version : shedding (and a hello)

just peachy
April 7th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Hello all :D
I'm not exactly new here, lurked for a long time (as in from shoulder length to about BSL.)
Lately my hair's been shedding more than usual, and 'usual' used to be almost no shed at all. Now I'm finding my hair everywhere!
Splattered on the shower walls after I shower, clumps in the hair brushes, etc.
I'm not really used to this and at first it didn't worry me but my hair has gotten visibly thinner since winter.
a lot of things could be contributing to this- maybe it's my hair getting used to the new length, maybe its the season change, maybe it's that my layers have grown out, maybe it's that I've been dieting recently.
I admit I've never eaten as healthy as I should but even though I'm dieting I'm getting in a good amount of protein (eggs, cheeses, protein drinks, I don't eat meat.)
does anyone have any Idea what the main cause of this could be and what I could possibly do to combat it?

TIA.

Alaskanheart
April 7th, 2008, 02:00 PM
What kind of dieting are you doing?Just less food or is some type of fade involved? Did you take out grains ?I heard diet and my mind immediately jumped to that as the most likely cause. Changing your diet can really change your hair fast.

ChloeDharma
April 7th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Echoing Alaskanheart here.....as soon as i saw "dieting" that seemed the most likely cause. If i were you i'd change the eating and see what happens, i rekon the shedding will slow right down.
If a diet causes something like hairloss or any other problems then usually it's a good indication that you shouldn't be doing it. There are lots of good eating plans that let you loose excess weight but stay well nourished.

jojo
April 7th, 2008, 03:22 PM
have you tried a multi vitamin? i noticed mine was shedding in December but since ive started taking my vitamins regular not only has the shedding stopped or at least lessened but has also got thicker.

paper
April 7th, 2008, 05:05 PM
My hair shedded a couple weeks ago. It was just for 2 shampoos. I thought maybe it was a season thing. I don't know but it did stop.

sapphire-o
April 7th, 2008, 06:27 PM
My hair always shed more when it gets warmer. I think it's probably normal for a lot of people to shed more at seasonal change time. :)

alligatorbaby23
April 7th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Just chiming in to say "Me too!" I am amidst a massive ( the biggest ever) spring shed. It actually scares me and feels good at the same time. My scalp was really itchy like 2 weeks ago, and during my last wash(1x /wk) I lost massive hair, like 100+ to my normal 20-30 ( I don't count, guesstimate) As well, it has been wafting down on my clothing, in my food, in between pages of my library books! So it is time to contain, I know it will only last for a couple more days/ weeks. My advice is to stay positive if this is a similar case for OP or other readers.
-mao
P.S> My dog is also shedding.. all the more hair to clean up!

just peachy
April 12th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Thanks everyone for all the advice.
Ah, between me and my cat, I should start making sweaters or something.
I started taking a multivitamin a few days ago, we'll see.