PDA

View Full Version : Ladies with Curls: How often do you wash your hair?

Longhairpixie
May 21st, 2009, 10:58 AM
I have curly hair and I really don't like washing it more then 2x a week because it seems to dry it out. I just want to see if other ladies with curly hair feel the same way.

justmyself
May 21st, 2009, 11:26 AM
Well, I am actually more wavy than curly, but I only wash my hair once or twice a week for the same reason. My hair just doesn't seem to have enough natural oils to wash more often and anyway it takes so long to air dry it, because I cannot touch it while it dries, that washing more often would be too annoying.

3azza
May 21st, 2009, 12:00 PM
I wash my hair every other day, and i do this because it is very dry so it gets moisturized upon conditioning after every wash. Plus, my curls are rearranged and refreshed after shower.

Carina
May 21st, 2009, 12:03 PM
I wash every other day.My hair needs that moisture for sure.

Merewen
May 21st, 2009, 12:10 PM
I voted for both every 2 and every 3 days because I do both. I'm for the most part trying to stretch to 3, though.

Kina
May 21st, 2009, 12:38 PM
I find that washing my scalp once a week is enough, but I rinse my hair and condition either daily or every other day, it keeps my waves and curls fresh and manageable.

Wanderer09
May 21st, 2009, 03:06 PM
Now that I've started wearing my hair up more often, I can get away with washing it about once a week. I love it. :D

f I want to wear it down on a non-wash day, I just mist it heavily with water and let it dry.

swirlytresses
May 21st, 2009, 04:44 PM
I wash my hair every other day. I will use either DW, poo bars, or salty dawg about every other wash and then Co wash in between. Since cutting cones and sulfates I am able to wash more often without any problems. Before, I would wash my hair maybe twice a week because my hair was so dry. I actually have at times washed my hair every day just because I can.

curls2grow
May 21st, 2009, 05:00 PM
I CO wash every other day; WO wash on the in-between days (but I don't consider that washing for my purposes because my hair doesn't look or act as clean as with CO washing, IME). If I go any longer than every 2 days, I feel like the products in my hair are starting to interfere with curl and/or shine. If I'm wearing it bunned every day (as in the summer) I may go a 3rd day occasionally before I CO wash again.

Longhairpixie
May 21st, 2009, 05:24 PM
It's looking like if you wear you hair curl most wash every other day.

I guess b/c I don't wear mine curl often I don't have to. I'm trying to work up the courage to have my hair curly more often.

Thanks for the all input ! :}

NeilTheFuzz
May 21st, 2009, 05:45 PM
I selected all between 3 days and 1 week because it varys depending on the time of year. At the moment I am dong lots of exercise and walking so I have to wash my hair a lot more frequently, otherwise it ends up in a smelly greasey mess. That said, I normally have quite a dry scalp and hair and though I've never tried it, in winter I could probably go nearly a couple of weeks without washing my hair.

ZaBasDa
May 21st, 2009, 06:08 PM
I wash my hair every 2-4 days, but that is just because my scalp gets unhappy with me otherwise. My curls are really only wearable down for the first two days, after that I wear it up.

Adrienne
May 21st, 2009, 11:29 PM
I have Curly hair. that I wash everyday. but I do Co-Wash.

I only use shampoo very rarely and when I feel like I need it.

Just got done doing a refreshing Co-Wash with White Rain Energizing Citrus.

GlassEyes
May 21st, 2009, 11:38 PM
I'm not a lady. Answering anyway. xD;

I wash my hair everyday with conditioner, and once a week/once a month with shampoo depending on what I'm doing/what my work schedule is.

Botticelli Gold
May 21st, 2009, 11:54 PM
I didnt vote because it varies so much.
I usually wash once a week in general, but in summer or if im working in a dirty or sweaty environment it could be two or three times a week.
And sometimes if my hair has been up in a bun and its winter or just hasnt gotten dirty, (I dont sweat much) I can go two weeks before washing.
I just dampen it if necessary and lightly dress it with oil or pomade.

shrimp
May 22nd, 2009, 07:27 AM
I wear my hair curly (but up) and wash about twice a week with CO. I only use AVG on my hair as leave-in for the most part. In between I mist my hair with water and lavender EO and replop at night. Seems to strike the right balance for me between giving my hair the water it craves and not having wet hair all the time.

I don;t think my hair has ever been as soft as it is on this routine.

suicides_eve
May 22nd, 2009, 07:30 AM
the term "wash" is a bit confusing i use a diluted shampoo 2w:1s mix just about every 3 days but other then that i co or wo wash my scalp.

ladylibra
May 22nd, 2009, 07:36 AM
I guess I'm the only one who voted "other." :o
I haven't used shampoo in over a year now. I clean my scalp with a mixture of shikakai and brahmi powders, which I brew into a tea and rinse my head and hair in or add to my conditioner. Sometimes, I use baking soda. I CO-wash almost every day in the summer (now) and in winter only once a week. Spring and fall varies.

Ryanne
May 22nd, 2009, 09:10 AM
Once a week, sometimes a bit longer.

rhubarbarin
May 22nd, 2009, 10:44 AM
I have curly hair and I wash every other day, sometimes every 2 days. It's possible to stretch longer, but I get frizz and my damaged ends get stringy. I wear my hair curly 100% of the time and down most of the time so I want it to look it's best.

I wash with regular shampoo, but I use natural conditioners that are extremely moisturizing, and I also use natural gel as my leave-in.

Curlsgirl
May 22nd, 2009, 11:16 AM
I voted every 5 days but it really varies a lot depending on what season and what I am doing, how I want to wear it etc.

Since it's gotten longer I can wear it down most anytime I want even though the curls are less defined and more relaxed the longer I go without washing. Mine is drier when I wash it more at least over time. I usually do nothing except maybe add some coconut oil in between washings.

eyesofsummer
May 22nd, 2009, 11:55 AM
I chose every four days, but I really have a range, so I probably should have chosen 'other'. Four is typical, and also probably the minimum. The longest I'll go is a week unless I have no time and/or nobody impressionable to see , in which case I might go a day or two longer. It also depends if my hair happens to dry in a way I like it, how humid the air is, how sweaty I am, and how tangled it is getting (the longer I go between showers, the more tangles I have!)
For the summer, it's probably going to be every 4 days. Too hot!

zen_oven
May 22nd, 2009, 03:40 PM
I only like to wash about twice a week. Any more just isn't necessary. My hair is having a minor freakout now that the humidity is coming back, so I find myself needing to wash a bit more frequently once in a while, but it'll adjust soon.

Longhairpixie
May 22nd, 2009, 06:19 PM
LOL! Sorry NeiltheFuzz and Glasseyes. :oops:
I didn't mean to be sexiest.
Please forgive me.
Thanks again. :}

yzkaloha
May 23rd, 2009, 09:55 AM
I shampoo my hair once a week, alternating between CO wash and Bio Henna Ayur. Shampoo. My hair needs lots of moisture, so I use a conditioner mixed with coconut oil every day or every other day on wet hair. If I go more than 2 days without wetting and conditioning/ oiling my hair it becomes dry.

jootsing
May 23rd, 2009, 10:24 AM
Voted for once a week, but that's for my baking soda and vinegar rinse routine, which for me is really washing it. I usually rinse it(with water only) every day, mostly because I'm fairly physically active and it feels good to rinse my scalp.

Niphredil
May 23rd, 2009, 11:32 AM
I voted for once a week, because I need to clean my scalp at least once a week with mild shampoo. I do like to moisturize the length in between, usually every other day or so. I rinse the remaining conditioner/gel out and apply new conditioner. I might do a CO wash between shampoo washings, depending on how my hair looks and feels. But then it is still more nourishing than any wash will every be so I didn't count that as a wash.

Shampoo once a week it is (currently, as my routines vary with my mood, the weather, the styles I wear, the length etc).

Barca
May 23rd, 2009, 05:28 PM
I wash mine every day, but only with conditioner.

Miriela
May 23rd, 2009, 08:17 PM
Every day, but I'm happy to go 36 hours. I'm not happy with two days, though. If I could wash one morning, and then the evening of the next day, and then skip a day and then the morning of the next day, etc, I'd be happy. The problem with that is that we only have one bathroom and we have to get four people through it, so we each have our time slot every day that we basically stick to.

inspiral
May 24th, 2009, 12:03 AM
i voted three days, because thats about average, sometimes i go longer and sometimes shorter. most of the time i CO and occasionally use shampoo after a deep oil treatment.

if i wear my hair down and curly, i need to wet, condition, and detangle it ASAP, or else it starts to dread. because of this, i try to save wearing it down for special occasions, maybe once a week. i've been really good about this recently, with just a few slip ups. (just a week or two ago i was really bad, i washed and wore my hair down and curly on mothers day, and then instead of washing that night or the next day, i went about five days without washing or detangling, just wearing it up in a bun all day and all night, and it was the most tangled i think its ever been! it took me HOURS....five or six maybe, or more? so for every day i go without washing after wearing it down, it takes an hour to detangle?!? gaah!!!)

the only way i can go more than a day or two without washing is if i condition and detangle and then damp bun immediately, then after its dry i can wear it down a little bit, but for the most part, i have to wash it after i wear it down. and the only way to detangle is with my fingers in the shower with condish, unless its dreaded, in that case if i wet it it creates even more of a mess, so i battle the dreads dry with oil.
(oh, and i have had amazing results with only shampooing after a deep oil treatment. when i feel like i have build up and need a shampoo, i put lots of oil in and leave on for as long as possible, then i dont get that frizzy-dry-shampooed hair look and its soft and silky instead!!!):cheese:

lovelygirl8315
May 27th, 2009, 01:53 AM
3 times or twice a week is good^^