PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin overdose

Dementia1013
May 21st, 2009, 04:13 AM
Hi there, ok so I have a question about vitamins. Not sure if I'm posting this in the wrong section or not, so if I am I apologize.

Reading through these forums I've discovered that the majority of you take vitamins for hair growth and health, and I thought it best to jump on the band wagon.

I've found a list of vitamins and supplements that are said to help with hair growth and texture, but there are so many and the dosage reccomended for nearly all of them is thrice daily. My question is can you overdose on vitamins by taking all these at once?

This is the site where I found the info. I intend to go to the store and pick them up tomorrow. I'll hold off on actually taking them until I can figure out the proper dosage. Any insight would be most helpful.

http://www.holisticonline.com/Remedies/Hair/hair_loss-nutrition.htm (http://www.holisticonline.com/Remedies/Hair/hair_loss-nutrition.htm)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out. :D

Gothic Lolita
May 21st, 2009, 04:25 AM
Yes, you can overdose on vitamins, but only the fat-soluble ones. These are: E,D,K,A, and will be stored in your body. A long-term overdosage can cause illnesses and too much vitamin A can lead to early deathes.
The other vitamins can also be overdosed, but as a result you'll only get smelly pee, because that's the way your body deals with a too much. No evil side-effect here :)

I can't really give advice about how often you should take a dose. I'm taking a multi and it should be taken once daily. However, I've also seen supplements that you must take several times daily.

Here is a thread with vitamin recommendations: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=20474&highlight=Vitamin+supplements

This is a lonk to the wonderful article that Igor wrote. It's one of the best I've ever read and really understandable. She also gives recommendations on what to take, how often and what she herself takes:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8927&highlight=Vitamin+supplements

I hope I could help you a bit. Taking supplement can be a good addition to your routine and when taken regularly, many members have experienced faster or better growth as well as general health improvement.

Dementia1013
May 21st, 2009, 04:30 AM
Thank you so much Gothic Lolita! I'm going to read over these articles right now.

I was really overwhelmed when I read about all of the vitamins and such. This helps. :D

Your multivitamin that you take, is that solely for your hair?

ravenreed
May 21st, 2009, 04:47 AM
Iron overdose can flat out kill you. Be careful with that one, it goes after your organs.

redneckprincess
May 21st, 2009, 05:00 AM
I take a prenatel (am not and can not become pg) Biotin (which I highly recommend for hair growth took me from >1/8" a month to 1" a month) and Gelatin every day soley for hair growth. and kind of multi vitiman will work I just take the prenatels cause my store gives them for free with a dr. script. Good Luck ♥

Runzel
May 21st, 2009, 08:18 AM
Vitamin overdose is definitely something you want to be aware of. I have an uncle who said, "they only vitamins" and ended up in the hospital from overdose; the doctors almost lost him. So it's good to be educated on it. However, it's also possible to go too far in the other direction, for instance, doctors saying you should be very careful to only eat tiny amounts of liver, when in reality the main thing you have to watch for is eating a whole plate of it at a time. :rolleyes:

Rapunzal2Be
May 21st, 2009, 08:42 AM
Yes, you can overdose so you need to be careful.

I don't take anything that requires me to take it three times per day or six pills or day or such. I mean, if it was for a health reason then yes, I would, but just for daily vites and growing hair, I'll stick with once per day.

I take a prenatal multi (b/c it has extra iron, but not too much - have to be VERY careful with iron, lots of folic acid and biotin as well) or a regular women's multi and then I take folic acid and biotin seperately, MSM, fish oil, and garlic. I take them all once per day, in the evening.

ademtce
May 21st, 2009, 11:43 AM
my advice would be to work you way gradually up to at the most 3 times a day
but start out taking it once a day, so you body can adjust to the intake. otherwise there will be too much and it won't be absorbed.

lora410
May 21st, 2009, 12:05 PM
I got by the rule of thumb if it is 100% or over of my daily value I only take one, regardless of what the package says. Remember, companies are out to make a buck, and if that means dosing you twice, to buy the product faster, so be it ;since most vitamins are water soluble (aka unused comes out in pee) Also be careful you can also overdose on to much iron. i take iron now and it says twice daily but it is over the dosage amount for my age so I take it once.

Dementia1013
May 21st, 2009, 12:27 PM
Thank you all so much for the advice. When I read that website I was shocked! I couldn't imagine taking what? 7 types of vitamins thrice daily. I'm glad I asked... :D