PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone insecure about the thickness of your hair?

bjjowett1993
May 20th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I was wondering if anybody on this site was/is insecure about the thickness/density of their hair, whether for being too thin, too thick, or any other interesting reason. :)

I myself am weird, my hair is fine and thick, from many standards, but for some reason, as petty, greedy, or vain as it may seem or sound, I'm a little insecure (I do not know if this word is most apt for the emotion I feel) about the thickness of my hair, it is thick, but I want it to be Obscenely Thick, and it is just kind of makes me sad, as I know I was only born with so many follicles, lol... When I put it up in a pony tail, I want to struggle to get it up, because it is so heavy, I want that weight, that big grippaple ponytail. My ponytail is relatively big, but I just want More hair, I just have a very deep desire and psssion even, to have long, lustruous, healthy thick tresses. *Sigh* I'm sorry to have sounded vain, greedy, or petty, as I do not have these 'qualities', it's just an internal wmotion I deal with, and I thought this could and may be a place hwere people could vent, and open up about their own issues.

:flower:

P.S. Lol, the title's "your" should be "their" :)

rose_in_bloom
May 20th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Yes, I would like to have more/thicker hair! I'm not super insecure about it, but there are times when I would definitely like something different. Oh well! I think half the journey is learning to love what you've got.

ETA: And no, you didn't sound vain, greedy, or petty! It's perfectly natural to desire beauty. :)

Dementia1013
May 20th, 2009, 10:41 PM
I am now, A month or two ago I got my hair trimmed and THINNED! I did so because I was getting really bad headaches and someone I talked to said it was the weight of my hair. Anyway now I'm regretting it, when I pull my hair up I know it should be so much more thicker... :(

Teazel
May 20th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I am. I used to think my hair was thick, but then I came to LHC. :o Or maybe my hair thinned about then. And I think I've been thinning on top for many years. Anyway, I wish I had iii hair. Sigh!

Morrighan
May 20th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Yes. Even though I'm at 3.5 I used to get the "Your hair is so thin!" comment alot. From childhood to the teen years. I think because it's fine it looks thinner than it is but it still made me feel bad so I've always wanted very thick hair.

Delilah
May 20th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Mine is thin. Super thin and flat.
Sure I wish it were thicker... but I tell myself it is still prettier and longer than the average head of hair, so I'm ok.

DragonLady
May 20th, 2009, 11:01 PM
I am. :(

I, too, want a seal-clubbing braid that weighs 75 lbs and takes the longest fingers on both hands to wrap 'round it.

Alas, I have no where near. My hair is thin, and ever shall it be. :(

daydreamer
May 20th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Ah, wistful sigh. I wish mine were a glorious chunky iii braid, and didn't show any spaces between when it is on my back! Even though I technically have "normal" thickness, my hair is so fine and such a piecey texture that it just looks thin. And it's light, doesn't have much weight to it. Oh well, I'm trying to just find some other people with the same hair type as me that have glorious hair and know that I could attain similar, heheh!

ilovelonghair
May 20th, 2009, 11:58 PM
I've had times where I was extremely insecure, especially when I was a teen hair was so brittle and thin. It was quite thin by nature, but I helped that by bleaching and perming it :o.

It also used to be thin in my 20's and only lately it's changed (after LHC!) and it isn't that thin at all! So I have decided I don't have to be insecure anymore :) (of course I can always wish for more hair...)

fishwich
May 21st, 2009, 12:11 AM
My hair is fine, and nothing special in the thickness department, and I am greedy and covetous. I would like the hair of every single member of LHC, all growing out of my own head. I want hair so chinchilla-thick you could part it and see only more hair. I want my braid to be bigger around than I am.

I am not ashamed. Not in the slightest. I would also like a hojillion billion dollars and a pony.

masterofmidgets
May 21st, 2009, 12:16 AM
I don't think about it too much when it is down - it always looks like a lot of hair because of the waves/curls. But then I braid it and get discouraged because it looks so thin, especially at the ends where it tapers. I want a braid as thick around as my wrist and even all the way down, but I guess it's just not meant to be. :(

teela1978
May 21st, 2009, 12:21 AM
I like my hair just the way it is. I've gained some circumfrence since I stopped dying, I used to be a i, now I'm a ii. I didn't mind being a i though, never realized my hair was all that thin before I measured it. It's kinda nice being able to do buns at shorter lengths than the iii's and beyond. When your hair is thin you can get figure 8's and such without going to extreme lengths.

GoddesJourney
May 21st, 2009, 12:29 AM
I don't mind it when my hair is down. I'm a ii, and I wish I were a iii. Maybe one day. Honestly, I feel bad when my hair is up or in a braid and I know that all these people have these glorious thick braids and mine is about the size of one of their pigtail braids. Yeah, that's pathetic. Anyway, a lot of it has to do with the serious tapering that comes from being layered and furthermore using crappy hair ties to make buns on a regular basis. I have a line at ear length, I'm sure, that is finally going to grow out, some long bangs/fringe, and some layers. I think that I could make it to the low end of iii if I put my mind to it. Come on iii.

Yeah there are very few things in this world that draw envy from me. Aside from the ability to sing beautiful, it's thick gorgeous hair. There isn't much I really want in this world that I don't already have. Alas, at least it looks good when it's down...

eadwine
May 21st, 2009, 12:33 AM
I used to find it too thin, but now that I know that I can do updos much quicker than those with iii hair I cackle with glee and love it.

I DO believe it has grown thicker lately though, so.. not complaining anymore ;)

Gothic Lolita
May 21st, 2009, 01:23 AM
I think my hair decides daily if it wants to be thicker that day or not. Honestly, sometimes it feels as if my hair is horribly thick, then again not so thick.
I wish it would look thicker when I wear it down, but my strands are so straight that most people think my hair is really fine until they touch it.

jera
May 21st, 2009, 01:37 AM
My hair is medium/medium. But, I'd love obscenely thick hair too. :p

Rini
May 21st, 2009, 03:21 AM
Me too, me too!! I want thick hair!! Mine is pretty average, but lately I've noticed it is thinner as a result of my last big shed. I'm wondering if I should adjust my profile details?

I would LOVE to have thick, naturally dark dark brown, classic length hair......but it's never gonna happen. It's fun to dream though :D

janeytilllie
May 21st, 2009, 04:01 AM
My hair is reasonable thick. My hair circumference is 3.3 inch. But I do want thicker hair.

My fairytale ends are thin and do give the appearance that my hair is overall thinner than it is. And I do sometimes feel insecure about it.

I would love my to be thicker all over. :D

sneakybea
May 21st, 2009, 04:22 AM
I do get self conscious, because even though my hair is thick, it growly more thinly in front of my ears, if that makes sense. That can be noticeable when I do certain pulled back styles. I also worry about thinning as I grow older, because my grandmother, who had waist length hair when she died (in her eighties), had very little of it and lots of visible scalp. I dream of being an old lady with lots of snowy white hair!

AJoifulNoise
May 21st, 2009, 04:39 AM
The last few inches of my hair are kinda thin. You can't tell because I get creative with the camera. I do get self-conscious about it and wear my hair up most of the time. But, since I cut off 6 inches last year and then started a trimming schedule, it has gotten better.

BlndeInDisguise
May 21st, 2009, 06:02 AM
I used to be much more insecure, but after LHC, my hair thickened up some, and I realized that thin hair can be beautiful. :)

Honestly, while it would look awesome to have it be thicker, I can't imagine how much it would weigh. My hair is already heavy at this length!

MsBubbles
May 21st, 2009, 06:22 AM
But bjjowett, you a (iii)! (Envy, envy...).

Yes I'm terribly insecure about my hair thinness, especially since it's also dead straight and flat. This stems mostly from having sticky out ears too, and both conditions got me relentless childhood teasing from oh-so-perfect cousins. I could handle either the sticky out ears or the thin hair but not both.

Still, I appreciate my hair so much more these days since joining LHC. I figure this is as thick as it's gonna get, so I might as well like it.

Pixna
May 21st, 2009, 06:36 AM
My hair is fine, and nothing special in the thickness department, and I am greedy and covetous. I would like the hair of every single member of LHC, all growing out of my own head. I want hair so chinchilla-thick you could part it and see only more hair. I want my braid to be bigger around than I am.

I am not ashamed. Not in the slightest. I would also like a hojillion billion dollars and a pony.

Exactly what Fishwich said!!! :laugh:

Anje
May 21st, 2009, 06:37 AM
I am, a bit. I've got about a 2.5 inch circumference, and it hasn't changed since I joined LHC, so I suspect I'm stick with it unless I start with something like monistat.

I would love a wrist-thick braid (OK, at 6.75", I have big wrists, so I'll go for a skinny girl's wrist thick, even), but I'd be thrilled even to have two braids about the size of my cats' legs. (Yes, the cats are shedding on my keyboard right now, so I'm using them as a measurement.)

tiny_teesha
May 21st, 2009, 08:27 AM
Uhh...yes i want an insanely thick braid, i don't care how much it hurts my head! I'm extremely self consious, so much so that i went from hip to a bit past APL. Took me a few months for the transistion, but still.
Is it greed? I think not.
My hair is ii but tapers scarily fast, my mother is taking me to the doctor on the weekend because she thinks i'm balding. I'm not.

viking_quest
May 21st, 2009, 08:51 AM
I wanted a super thick braid but then I looked at my braid and was happy with what I saw. Besides, if my hair was thicker, it would be harder to put up at my current length. I only wish that my underlayer of hair was thicker. It's about .5"-1" thick and looks ridiculously thin and I hate how I look in half-ups because of it.

Spike
May 21st, 2009, 09:09 AM
I want hair so chinchilla-thick you could part it and see only more hair. I want my braid to be bigger around than I am.

Oh, yes, yes, yes!!! In college, my braid as as thick as my wrist. (I won't discuss how many [two] fingers thick it was when I cut it this last time.)

I wouldn't mind my braid being as thick as my WAIST. And pearly silver white, can we do that, too? While we're wishing?:magic:

vamq
May 21st, 2009, 09:10 AM
I have fine-ish hair, and a lot of it. So I shouldn't be insecure, but I really am...
I never-ever wear my hair in a braid in public, because it looks "way too thin" in my opinion. I only wear it down when I slept with braids or foam curlers so my hair looks big. And I only like and wear updo's that look big.

And every day when I sit in the bus to school, I see people with thinner hair than I have, and I love their hair. But I don't like mine. Silly, right?
I think it is because my family and some stupid hairdressers always said my hair was thin and ugly. And because I compare myself to my 1c/2a m/c iii hair sister and my 2c/c/iii+ niece. I suppose that's not a fair comparison.

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one :)

Rohele
May 21st, 2009, 09:20 AM
my hair is fine and thick, from many standards, but for some reason, as petty, greedy, or vain as it may seem or sound, I'm a little insecure (I do not know if this word is most apt for the emotion I feel) about the thickness of my hair, it is thick, but I want it to be Obscenely Thick

Yes - been very insecure lately. I guess it's because I always thought I had obscenely thick hair until I came here, and actually saw hugely thick hair.

I realize it's not thin by any standards, since it's on the high end of ii, bordering on iii, but it is not as thick as I perceived it to be. Throw into the mix the fact that I think it used to be thicker, but there have been so many years of layered haircuts that I can't exactly pinpoint when it started to thin out (or why). So now in addition to thickness insecurity, I'm paranoid that I'm going bald, since it doesn't seem as thick as it should be.

Ironic, considering the fact that I've spent the last 15 years or so trying to deflate the volume and cursing my hair. Be careful what you wish for I guess, in my case anyway. :(

wackyredtangles
May 21st, 2009, 09:24 AM
I have fairly thick hair. Enough that I can't wear it in a regular pony tail anymore, it just falls down. Still, I'd like it to be thicker, especially towards the ends where I still have some lurking layers.

I want really curly spirally hair. I'll admit it. Like 3b/3c spiral curls. My best friend has that hair, and I've always loved it. There are also days where I wish I had a burgundy colored hair, and have been very tempted to do henna/indigo to get it there.

I also want a big house, all the books I can get my hands on, a nice big yard, a lifetime supply of fabric, and a few other things. Dreaming is great as long as it doesn't make you forget what you have. =)

ElenTikvah
May 21st, 2009, 09:38 AM
I used to be very insecure regarding my "thin" hair. I grew up hearing that my hair was too thin and stringy to be long.

When I first started lurking here at LHC, I was so thrilled to see others that had hair like mine, and thinner and growing it to beautiful lengths (madeleine, and teacher bear come to mind). AND I discovered, that my hair isn't thin, but actually average!

Since that time, I have learned to love my hair. Do I occasionally wish for super-thick iii+ hair with a bun that eats my head...yeah, I do sometimes. But usually, I love my average hair, because I got to do updos sooner than iii+ hair, AND even now, my updos are so compact and light, that people are amazed at the length that is hidden in my bun!

My biggest insecurity regarding my hair now, is my severe taper. It makes my braid really wimpy looking. I wish that my hemline was bit thicker, tho I'm learning to love my fairytales...they do make my updos more secure.

~Tik

mira-chan
May 21st, 2009, 09:43 AM
I'd like for my hair to go back to it's pre-shed thickness. It had less taper further down and on first measurements (near the start of the monster shed) it was around 4.5", by the end of the shed it was 3.75 ish. It's now back to just around 4".

Eden Iris
May 21st, 2009, 11:26 AM
Yeah, it's thin, and I wish it were thicker, but I try not to waste too much energy on it. Since I'm done having babies (which gives me gorgeous, shiny iii hair), the best I can hope for now is that the grays will come in coarser than the rest of my hair and give it the illusion of muchness.

jivete
May 21st, 2009, 11:37 AM
I do feel insecure about mine although I'm getting over it. I'm barely in the ii range and it seems so whispy sometimes. It doesn't help that I have icky color on the bottom and old breakage and damage. I'm hopeful with virgin hair, it won't look so thin. I'm thankful it's wavy at least so I can fake a little volume.

Aisha25
May 21st, 2009, 11:38 AM
Yes I am very insecure :( espesially when I see someone with hair 3 times thiicker than mine own :sad: I wish I had thick hair :pray: but I am working on it;)

Phalaenopsis
May 21st, 2009, 11:49 AM
Yes, I feel insecure about it, actually since I came to LHC. I always knew I had thick hair. But I wouldn't have felt bad after my hairloss without LHC.

But the other way around, maybe I wouldn't acted as quickly and gone to a doctor if it wasn't for LHC.

s_tresses
May 21st, 2009, 12:29 PM
I am only insecure about it because I know it used to be thicker. So, be careful what you wish for ;).

herbgurl82
May 21st, 2009, 12:43 PM
I feel very insecure about the thickness of my hair. I used to have really thick shiny hair as a child. However, in college, I was put on Depakote for a few medical conditions, and my hair started falling out in clumps. It got so that I had to clean out the drain twice in a shower! So yeah, I am very insecure with my hair looks especially since I have decided to grow it long again...It looks really thin and scraggly, though now that I am taking better care of it, and am off that medication, it is thickening up at the nape,so there might be hope...

(Edit: on a side note, you know you are a long hair when you type conditioners instead of conditions in the above paragraph!:p)

Forever_Sophie
May 21st, 2009, 12:48 PM
I have the same problem as you, fine hair but lots of it! Same insecurity as well ;) I.e. if I see someone, i.e. Danielle Fishel on Boy Meets World with super thick hair, braids 3x the size of mine, I wonder how pathetic mine is in comparison...

Shouldn't complain, but it's not up to my standard! LOL

Naava
May 21st, 2009, 01:09 PM
I have gotten so insecure after I joined LHC. When compared to an average finnish person, my hair is on the thicker side, but in here that's not the case. I try really hard to not compare my hair to everyone else's and to just appreciate it the way it is. It's not always easy.

freznow
May 21st, 2009, 01:09 PM
3" - supposedly average - shouldn't make me feel like I have thin hair. But it does. Combined with the fact that I have straight, fine hair... I don't have the volume of curly hair, and the fine-ness makes it compact and go stringy. Kinda got shafted on all accounts. And my buns aren't really all that big. On numerous occasions, I've let my hair down around friends of Asian or (in one case) Serbian descent, and they say something to the effect of "Oh, you don't have all that much hair. While you beat me in the length department, I feel okay knowing that my hair is much thicker." They mean well, just trying to make conversation, but, gosh, I'd rather have an "I can barely make a cinnamon bun" that's as big as my head than a "I can make a cinnamon bun three times over but it never lays right and is puny"...

However, elven peoples tend to have hair like mine (at least, it seems so more often than I see on people), so I just make believe that I'm an elf. *prances off into the woods with stringy straight elven hair*

And, as my brother points out, Samurai Jack has a tiny topknot that, when released, is an explosion of hair, and that's pretty cool.

Samurai elf!

OhioLisa
May 21st, 2009, 03:04 PM
I don't think anyone that has responded to this thread has any reason to feel insecure. We all have different hair types. One is not any better than another. I personally love my fine, thin, wavy hair. Everything has its drawbacks. Hair is no exception. Beauty comes in all forms.

(was that too cheesy?) :cheese:

bjjowett1993
May 21st, 2009, 03:06 PM
I am glad so many people responded. :D

Bunnyhare
May 21st, 2009, 03:25 PM
I am insecure about my hair thickness too...alas I had really thick hair and decided to get it thinned because of heaches,too Dementia1013, and then I got sick and it started to actually fall out! AAARRGHH i could have used that thickness! BUt Thank the Lord for the LHC, i have been doing W/O and it is growing back and stopped falling out so much..I really hope it gets too thick again! And I hope that you can find peace in your lovley locks..

JamieLeigh
May 21st, 2009, 03:42 PM
I used to be REALLY insecure about the thickness of my hair, when I would wear it straightened all the time. Luckily I found out that silicones weigh my hair down horribly, and going cone-free caused my wavies to come out and multiply. Wearing it wavy really takes away the thin appearance. This is probably also the reason I'm so fanatical about trimming & keeping my hemline even. It makes it appear much thicker at the bottom. :)

MuzicalH3rb
May 21st, 2009, 03:58 PM
I love my hair, but it's babyfine. Only when I wear my hair in a ponytail or in an updo, do I feel insecure about my babyfine hair....ughhh, but because it's getting way healthier I have been enjoying it much much more! I'm definately starting to learn to love what I have.

Nypsy
May 21st, 2009, 04:36 PM
I'm not really insecure about my hair, and it's pretty thick, but I layered it so much that the ends are very thin :( I'm going to keep the layers for a while though because I don't like the look of blunt cuts on hair shorter than waist length on me.

Eryka
May 21st, 2009, 04:51 PM
Oh yeah, especially lately. A health issue caused me to loose about 30% of my hair, and most of that just happened to be at my hairline. While technically I am still a iii, I feel naked in some respects. I've lost around an inch total and my hairline is completely mangled. I need to take some new pictures after I wash tomorrow, maybe see seom progress. :shrugs*

But yeah, right there with you Bjjowett1993 *hugs*

MandaMom2Three
May 21st, 2009, 07:42 PM
yes :( my hair is so thin! I wish so much it were thicker :(

hennaphile
May 21st, 2009, 08:08 PM
I feel very self conscious about how thin my hair got after being very thick :( .

bjjowett1993
May 22nd, 2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks Eryka. *Hugs* back. :D

Schmoomunitions
May 23rd, 2009, 10:00 PM
Yes thin hair is required to be an elf!
So I DONT want thick hair, plus it gets hot, gives you headaches, takes forever to dry, barettes cant hold it, nothing can hold it without hurting. I like my thin-medium hair.

longhairedfairy
May 23rd, 2009, 10:41 PM
I would like for my hair to be a bit thicker.

longhairedfairy
May 23rd, 2009, 10:45 PM
3" - supposedly average - shouldn't make me feel like I have thin hair. But it does. Combined with the fact that I have straight, fine hair... I don't have the volume of curly hair, and the fine-ness makes it compact and go stringy. Kinda got shafted on all accounts. And my buns aren't really all that big. On numerous occasions, I've let my hair down around friends of Asian or (in one case) Serbian descent, and they say something to the effect of "Oh, you don't have all that much hair. While you beat me in the length department, I feel okay knowing that my hair is much thicker." They mean well, just trying to make conversation, but, gosh, I'd rather have an "I can barely make a cinnamon bun" that's as big as my head than a "I can make a cinnamon bun three times over but it never lays right and is puny"...

However, elven peoples tend to have hair like mine (at least, it seems so more often than I see on people), so I just make believe that I'm an elf. *prances off into the woods with stringy straight elven hair*

And, as my brother points out, Samurai Jack has a tiny topknot that, when released, is an explosion of hair, and that's pretty cool.

Samurai elf!

LMAO! My mum loves Samurai Jack! The one with the all the different shoes was hilarious.:D

I have fine hair, but my facial features, particularly my round nose, are not delicate enough to look elvish.:(

Nevermore
May 23rd, 2009, 11:24 PM
So I DONT want thick hair, plus it gets hot, gives you headaches, takes forever to dry, barettes cant hold it, nothing can hold it without hurting. I like my thin-medium hair.

I find this baffling. My hair is pretty thick (4.5 inch circumference) and pretty long (almost tailbone) and a properly done bun/ponytail never hurts, it dries fairly quickly given that there's so much of it, it's never given me a headache and it's not hot when it's up.

OP: I want a braid the width of my (very very wide) neck. I'm not insecure, I just think that would be totally awesome. I would be insecure if I had more taper or thinner hair. I think thin hair can look fine on other people, but it would look like crap on me.

vindo
May 24th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Hm...interesting thread!
And I honestly feel for everyone that feels bad about their hairs thickness, even if it is an iii.
I think most start thinking their hair is too thin when they try to grow it out and notice that once it tapers it will be less heavy and thick. Thick ends do very much for how thick hair looks and feels! Thin ends can even create the illusion that an iii has thin hair.

Or - at least to some people! People that do not have the knowledge we have here at LHC. For me personally it was always easy to tell whether someone has a lot of hair or just poufy hair. But the mainstreamer gets it all wrong <_<
And so the insecurity AND insanity grows in us.

People think I have dreadfully thin hair! And I do not..in know way. I have a lot of hairs, dense hair growth and single hairs are a good M. But because of its straighness, softness and tendency for stringyness people get confused.
Makes me want to give them all some lessons on hair.:rolleyes:

If the world would stop being like that we would all feel better.
Btw. this is an average ponytail, right in the middle of all the measurements.
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/6681/silentsoul68cm.th.jpg (http://img259.imageshack.us/my.php?image=silentsoul68cm.jpg)
Its a friend of mine.

I feel like this really has to stop...I don't judge anybody that feels like that, I just think it makes everyone very unhappy..

Me up front:
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/6793/img00201.jpg
This looks thin to people, I would never even get the idea myself. I honestly think it looks thick :shrug:. I may find my ends thin but I never had any problems with the thickness around my head ^^.

Uhh...yes i want an insanely thick braid, i don't care how much it hurts my head! I'm extremely self consious, so much so that i went from hip to a bit past APL. Took me a few months for the transistion, but still.
Is it greed? I think not.
My hair is ii but tapers scarily fast, my mother is taking me to the doctor on the weekend because she thinks i'm balding. I'm not.

Have you gotten your thyroids checked before? I don't think youre balding but some sicknesses can result into giving you more taper (shorter anagen phase for some hairs)

I used to be very insecure regarding my "thin" hair. I grew up hearing that my hair was too thin and stringy to be long.

I used to get told the same thing ;)

Yes I am very insecure :( espesially when I see someone with hair 3 times thiicker than mine own :sad: I wish I had thick hair :pray: but I am working on it

Haha..I dont think anyone out there has iii iii iii hair :D
Your hair is very thick, so you need to say even thickER.

I have gotten so insecure after I joined LHC. When compared to an average finnish person, my hair is on the thicker side, but in here that's not the case. I try really hard to not compare my hair to everyone else's and to just appreciate it the way it is. It's not always easy.

Germans also seem to have a bit thinner hair than lets say a mediterranean person, many fall just below the 7cm.

3" - supposedly average - shouldn't make me feel like I have thin hair. But it does. Combined with the fact that I have straight, fine hair... I don't have the volume of curly hair, and the fine-ness makes it compact and go stringy.

Its not the fine-ness that makes it go compact, some hair types just have a higher tendency for it :) it is called cohesion, some people hair never gets stringy and stays in one big blog and for others there is nothing they can do about the pieceyness.

longhairedfairy
May 24th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Yes I am very insecure :( espesially when I see someone with hair 3 times thiicker than mine own :sad: I wish I had thick hair :pray: but I am working on it;)

What!:shocked: I always think your hair looks very thick! I'm very surprised to hear that you think it's not.

maria_asa
May 24th, 2009, 05:02 AM
The thinness of my hair is one big reason to why I never wear it down in public. It's just embarrasing.
My buns are also pathetically small and if I make a braid it goes from very thin at the nape to barely there from BSL and down. :(

Carina
May 24th, 2009, 05:07 AM
The thinness of my hair is one big reason to why I never wear it down in public. It's just embarrasing.
My buns are also pathetically small and if I make a braid it goes from very thin at the nape to barely there from BSL and down. :(

I get the opposite reaction when it comes to my hair.People think it is so thick because my waves and curls give me extra volume.But I have very thin hair after all the shedding I've done the last few years.I hope it will thicken up soon.But I wish it could grow faster:pray::doh:.

Pixna
May 24th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Yes I am very insecure espesially when I see someone with hair 3 times thiicker than mine own : I wish I had thick hair but I am working on it
What! I always think your hair looks very thick! I'm very surprised to hear that you think it's not.

What!:shocked: I always think your hair looks very thick! I'm very surprised to hear that you think it's not.

I totally agree!!!!

Emichiee, just want to say that your hair and you are stunningly beautiful!!!

Maria Asa, I think small buns can be quite elegant and beautiful. Not only that, they don't give you headaches and can be very versatile. Even if you can't wear a braid you are pleased with, know that your buns are undoubtedly the envy of everyone who sees them.

paper
May 24th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Maybe a little bit. I'd like my hair a little thicker. Now, that I've stopped dyeing my hair I think it's getting thicker. Plus I'm growing out some of my too thick bangs. Overall though, I wouldn't want hair thats too thick.

slz
May 24th, 2009, 07:13 AM
it is thick, but I want it to be Obscenely Thick

Well that's me. I know very well it's oh so stupid, cause my hair is thicker than most people I know, but still - I'm always thinking that it "used to be thicker" and "I'm sure my hair is growing thinner" and this kind of crap. and the worry when combing, trying not to pull too many out cause it will make it all so thin, you know :rolleyes:. I'm ridiculous, but i can't help.

MsBubbles
May 24th, 2009, 07:55 AM

Awww ... points to your siggy pic...if I saw your hair down like that in public I'd flip out, grab whoever I was with and say 'look at that girl's hair!'

meph
May 24th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I'm not sure if insecure is the right word. However, I do feel like my hair is too thin to be worn down for a long time because it becomes stringy. It kind of takes the fun out of wearing it down. Don't know if thicker hair would make it less stringy, maybe my hair has just a tendency to kind of.. stick together ?
Although when I had thicker hair, I also complained about that:rolleyes:, especially when it was hot outside.

I guess I always find something to complain about:p

Unofficial_Rose
May 24th, 2009, 03:00 PM
I never used to think about it until I started growing it out again, but now that I am, I've realised it is about 2/3rds as thick as it was when I was a teenager (I'm 45). Sigh.

I use henna to beef up my stringy strands. Like the hair equivalent of steroids! :p

Aisha25
May 24th, 2009, 08:52 PM

I totally agree!!!!

I have seen some indians with hair that is so thick it makes my 5 1/2inch ponytail looks like a 1inch one. So for me, my hair is thin and I am very embarressed to even put my hair next to theres :boohoo:

curls2grow
May 24th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I definitely am. I would like it to be thicker. I have only 2" ponytail circumference, and that depresses me sometimes. I know there's very little I can do about thickness at this point.

Mabel Grey
May 24th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Glad to know I am not the only one.
Although, in honesty, I am happy with what I have, I could not stand the heaviness of thick hair, in the California Valley summers. When it hits 105 I just want to shave my head. Besides right now I can tuck it nicely into a bandana and then pop on a cap and not worry if I wash it for weeks.

Autumnberry
May 25th, 2009, 12:13 AM

Maria Asa, your hair is so beautiful, if you wore it down in public, I'm sure that people would love seeing it. I know that we here on LHC do enjoy it!

My hair is fine, thin, and gets stringy so easily. My ponytail is so puny that I prefer to wear it down. I think that one of the previous posters said they have elfin hair, and that would define my hair precisely.

I totally agree with Emichee that the judgement about one's hair thickness has got to stop. Expecting my hair to be super-thick one day is just not realistic. Furthermore, I've got quite a bit, but it's super-fine and stringy. Does that mean I should have a bob instead of long hair? Would that look better; would that be more pleasing to me? Certainly not!

I feel that the insecurity about hair thickness stems from advertising and movies.

hennared
May 25th, 2009, 08:12 AM
I am insecure about my hair thickness. I lost about 40&#37; of my circumference in the past year; have not gotten emotionally over that, since I'm not really sure why it happened! I saw a lot of excess shedding, don't know the cause, have had all the usual bloodwork and all, everything appears 'normal'. I am in my early 40's. I don't feel my hair looks 'that bad' at the current thickness, but I am insecure worrying it will progress, since I am shedding less, but still shedding abnormally more than what was normal for me. (sigh) I suppose some of it is simply old age and hormonal fluctuation.

I don't think I am influenced by movies, TV, or LHC in feeling bad about my hair - I simply am sad since it seems 'not my hair' and I miss my 'old' hair.... self competition, I suppose.

Babyfine
May 25th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Yes- I usually don't wear my hair in braids or in a ponytail in public for that reason.
My hair looks thicker either in certain updo's or down(the natural waves puff it out)
My hair compresses down to nothing when it's in a braid.
I have a 2"-2.5" ponytail circumference.

sarahramen
March 2nd, 2010, 08:27 PM
yes even though mine is in the HIGH iii range i remember my grandmother's hair was MUCH thicker. like 6 inches and above. because where i have some medium hairs hers were all coarse and her hair had beautiful ringlety curls so it "poofed" out farther than my mostly straight hair does... plus ive been steadily loosing hair for the past 2 years so about 1/3 of its missing... i keep getting sick... so yeah lots of insecurity on this end, even though i know its mostly unwarranted

ChrissieM
March 2nd, 2010, 08:38 PM
I want to see the real thickness of my hair. Hairdressers always told me, "your hair is fine, but your have a lot of it" and proceeded to cut layers and thin it out to give it life and movement. Finally, I said "don't bother" to all that, and am growing out to all one length, bangs included. It will take me several years, but I will finally be able to see how thick or thin my hair really is. I'm right at about 3 inches now, and I don't think I'd like to be much thicker. It's pretty easy to detangle and style at this thickness.

LaurenH
March 2nd, 2010, 08:45 PM
Oh I've always wished my hair was thicker!! :( My ponytail is so thin... (Unless I take it down from a braid so my hair has "braid waves" and then put it in a pony tail; it makes my hair look a lot thicker than it is :) )

jaine
March 2nd, 2010, 08:51 PM
Before I had this pixie haircut I dreamed of having thinner hair!!!! It was the puffy triangle shape that frustrated me the most. I'm always very envious of hair that follows the contours of the head and neck and shoulders, and looks like it is draping naturally over the body ... instead of just being massive and puffy and triangular and overwhelming.

Who knows what my hair will do this time around though ... the texture is changing with my new diet so maybe I'll end up with completely different woes :)

CaityBear
March 2nd, 2010, 08:57 PM
I wouldn't say I'm insecure really, but I do wish my hair was a bit thicker. It just feels too thin sometimes.

It makes me sad because sometimes when people say "Oh my gosh! You have so much hair!" I'll have somebody else say "Yeah, but it's only because it's so long because it's not really thick." and that doesn't feel so good. haha

lunagoose
March 2nd, 2010, 09:08 PM
My hair is pretty thin, I guess I wasn't blessed with great hair genes. I am trying to keep my hair healthy and shiny by eating a balanced diet, taking supplements and exercising, but I know I have to embrace my hair type. I can only dream of having a thick mane like some of the lovely ladies and gentlemen on these forums.

Roseate
March 2nd, 2010, 09:14 PM
Lemme tell you, as soon as they figure out that hair-transplant thing, I will be happy to donate an inch or two of my circumference to anyone who comes asking! I like my hair. But really, I don't need this much!

BrightEyes
March 2nd, 2010, 09:25 PM
Oh yes, I've always wanted thicker hair. My mom and my sister both have thick curly hair and I've always been envious. Everyone on my husbands side (even his brothers' wives) all have thick heads of hair. I was telling to my sister-in-law (who has a beautiful head of thick, thick hair) that I would love to have thicker hair. And then she told me how she would love to have thinner hair. I couldn't believe it. I guess the saying "the grass is always greener" is really true.

Gingevere
March 2nd, 2010, 09:52 PM
I'm really surprised that people on here think a 2" ponytail circumference is thin! That's what mine is, and my hair looks pretty thick, considering it's straight. I had a friend, my age, who had extremely thin hair due to hereditary reasons (she was Native American). You could see her entire scalp when she wore it down, so it was always in a ponytail. Her ponytail circumference was definitely no more than 3/4"... so don't you dare complain about 2"! Lol.

Anyway, my mom has super thick, straight hair. It's beautiful, but a pain for her to deal with. She wears it at about shoulder-length and hairdressers don't seem to know how to cut it properly. So I'm actually very happy with my hair thickness.

ETA: Okay, so I hadn't checked my ponytail circumference in over a year. I just measured it and it's now 3 1/4". Still, even when it was 2", it did not look thin at all. It's a shame that LHC has made some people self-conscious about this... we need to make sure that this community doesn't put too much of an emphasis on how hair "should" look. There are advantages and disadvantages to thin, average, and thick. No need to dream of having different hair. All hair is beautiful. ;)

julliams
March 2nd, 2010, 10:15 PM
Every time I have been to the hairdresser they cut it to "thin it out" so one would assume from their reactions that i should be insecure about it.

I like my thick hair but sometimes I see photos and I think "oh my gosh - I should have worn in up that day". The layers are supposedly there to "thin" my hair but I think it actually makes it look more fluffy.

kitten1986
March 3rd, 2010, 01:38 AM
I have fine hair but HEAPS of it so it is very thick I am a little insecure about it because it boofs out a lot especially since it is only just past shoulder length
when I wear it out I have to oil it and put leave ins in it to make it flatter so I dont get the triangle look and then it just ends up looking dirty and greasy hmph its pretty frustrating
it is also really hard to put up because there is so much of it so the best updos I can manage at the moment are a pony tail or a double french twist because its so volumous hahaha
when I get it closer to BSL I plan to get it thinned out quite alot so it sits better

I shouldnt complain because I do have the option of getting it thinned whereas the only option for people who want thicker hair is extensions so I guess I got a pretty good deal by the hair fairies

the grass is always greener huh?

for the record my pony tail circumference is 4 inches

windchijmes
March 3rd, 2010, 02:44 AM
I've always wanted finer hair, actually. I used to envy those women with fine, long, bone-straight hair. Well, my hair is thick (Asian hair), and I have lots of it, so when I grow it out, it can look really...well, puffy! That's why I MUST have my hair cut in layers so that they fall into place nicely. A straight hemline would make my hair look like a nest, I think!

Keildra
March 3rd, 2010, 02:54 AM
I want thicker hair, my hair is really thin, like less than an inch circumference. I want more hair, I want to already have that awesomely fat bun but I can't do that yet it makes me sad.

In2JC724
March 3rd, 2010, 04:42 AM
I've always wished my hair were thicker... I really don't have anything to complain about, my pony is 4.25" and every hair stylist I've been to is always shocked at how thick my hair feels, compared to how it looks.. maybe I have that piecy thing going on.. I don't know.

The main reason I've been insecure about the whole thickness thing, is because of my cousin and her rude comments.. She has insanely thick hair.. probably 6 or 7 inch pony, and she has no desire or respect for long hair. Which just disgusts me because her hair also grows crazy fast.. when it does get long she ALWAYS has it up in this knotted up bun sort of thing, then she proceeds to chop it all off.. it's very painful for me.. lol just kidding.

It's not fair that someone who doesn't give a crap should have such amazing hair.. but I digress. I've had to tell her off a couple of times, that she's the only person who has ever said that I have "thin" hair. Then when that doesn't work, she says I have "frizzy" hair.. now tell me, how is it "thin" but "frizzy" ?? And for the record, my hair hasn't been frizzy since I permed it last in 1995!! lol

Ok, I think I'm done... lol Yes, I'd LOVE to have a 6-8 inch pony. Please please? I like that hair transplant idea Roseate! Can I be first in line? :D

FrannyG
March 3rd, 2010, 05:04 AM
I used to wish my hair were thicker until I joined LHC. Even as my hair has thickened some due to better treatment and less breakage, I am still only in the middle of ii thickness. My single braid is thinner than some peoples' triple braids.

It doesn't bother me one bit, because I've learned here to appreciate my hair's own unique beauty. I hope you get there too. :blossom:

BeatlesFanGirl
March 3rd, 2010, 06:39 AM
I've always wanted thicker hair/more volume, although everyone tells me I have nice and thick hair. :) And comparing my hair to all those unhealthy, thin, and split hair I see on the street - I think I shouldn't feel bad about mine.

templeofvenus
March 3rd, 2010, 06:47 AM
oh yesh I have fine hair and always feel like it looks too thin when it gets longer thats part of the reason I keep going back to a chin length bob. Plus most hairdressers say ah yes your hair is too fine to grow long, shorter is better for your hair to give it body?!?!? yet I see people on here with really long fine hair so do I try and prove the heardressers wrong and learn to love my fine hair?!?!

myotislucifugus
March 3rd, 2010, 06:52 AM

Yeah, here's to no shame...:cheese:

I sometimes feel my hair is too thin to be this long, I feel really insecure about see through hair, and am determined to to trim when I hit the "1 year no trim" mark in 10 days. Not sure how much to trim yet, and kind of stressing over it. As odd as that sounds.

jivete
March 3rd, 2010, 07:15 AM
I used to be very insecure about my hair's thickness, or lack thereof. It still bothers be, especially the taper, but age and LHC has taught me that wishing for something you don't or can't have is a pretty self-destructive thing. It's better to try and appreciate the things you do have.

Besides, I have a friend that has thinner hair than me. If I complain about my hair's thickness, where does that put her? It's like the skinny friend that complains about being fat, but you outweigh them by 30lbs and are the same height. :ponder:

rags
March 3rd, 2010, 07:44 AM
Well I have a 1.5 inch pony, so yes I'm insecure about my hair's thickness (or lack thereof!) Especially since it used to be almost twice this thick before the Great Shed (caused by meds I had to take) And no, it's been four years now, so I don't think it's coming back. Plus it tapers horribly right at shoulder - I don't know why. But after shoulder it's seriously about 1 inch circumference.

There are several updos I can do earlier than other people; however, they all end up looking like a little lump on the back of my head. You can't really tell a difference in them and they don't look at all as they should. So I just keep it in a cinnabun or lazy wrap most of the time.

I can't imagine people with ii/iii hair thinking their hair is thin! It makes me even more selfconscious about mine. (If they think theirs looks bad, mine must look hideous!) Therefore I wear it up all the time.

pepperedmoth
March 3rd, 2010, 09:18 AM
I am . . . lots of folks have told me that with my thin hair (3" pony circumference, just for the record) I shouldn't grow it long. But long is the only way I like my hair . . .

I'm self-conscious when I wear it down, but I usually put it up in an equilibrium bun, so no one can tell how thin it is but me.

ZaBasDa
March 3rd, 2010, 08:46 PM
Yes, I have problems with the thickness of my hair. I don't consider it that thin, but it used to be around 5 inches and now it's at 3.75 inches. It will grow in a little thicker and then I'll have another big shed. A ponytail as thick as my wrist would be awesome, even though that's 6.5 inches <.< But while we are at it, I'd like longer hair, way curlier hair that stayed curly even if it was ankle length, and hair I could change color at will with no damage. :D But my hair is still nice.

walterSCAN
March 3rd, 2010, 08:52 PM
I'm not so much insecure about it, but dear-gods-yes!!! I wish I had thicker hair...

I'm with those wishing for a braid as big around as my wrist! Mine's not really thin, but I don't consider it thick either. :shrug:

I suppose I can dream about chinchilla-thick hair... (I forget who said this, but it totally made me giggle like a loon; love it!)

Twil
March 3rd, 2010, 08:56 PM
It took me years to figuire out the difference between hair thickness and hair density.

I have fine hair, I can get a ponytail down to an inch if I use the right kind of rubberband BUT I have high hair density (this is how much it poofs out when worn down). When I wear it down, the distance from canopy to neck is about 5i nches (maybe an exageration? I never really measured it, but it seems right).

I was treating it like thick hair forever not realizing it was fine hair, but high density. And yes, sometimes I can get self concious if I'm having an especially pooficlious day.

Olde Soul
March 3rd, 2010, 09:12 PM
Yes, I'm insecure. I refuse to wear my hair in a ponytail because it looks like a little scraggly line of pencil lead down my back. I'm usually okay with braids because I braid loose and I tie it off above my taper, but ponytails just make me feel bald. Also can't stand that I've got hair as long as I do and it might as well be BSL for how puny my buns look. :( Thank heaven for sock buns.

Darkhorse1
March 3rd, 2010, 10:34 PM
Teazel, I'm with you--I thought my hair was thick until I came here! Igor and Dianyla's braids just knocked me over with their thickness (and several others whose names i'm blanking on).

But, like everyone has said, I'm thankful for what I have. :)

Felix_D
March 4th, 2010, 04:43 AM
Absolutely. Every time I went to a new hairdresser they would always say, "you're hair is so thin! I've never seen such fine, thin hair before." This was a big factor in me sticking with one hairdresser for the last 5 years.

I've always hated my baby-fine hair, but since coming here I've realized that I am part of the problem! I'm hoping no straightener + castor oil will help thicken things up, and grow it out past shoulder length.

chopandchange
March 4th, 2010, 05:02 AM
I used to be the other way around. I have very thick hair. I've always wished it were sleek and flat and well-behaved. But now I am wanting to grow it really long, I can see how having thick hair is a good thing, because it will mean less taper and a thicker hemline. :cheese:

eresh
March 4th, 2010, 06:35 AM
I am.
I'm always watching my middle part like a hawk...it is thinning there.
Creating scalp cleavage that wasn't there before.
Hopefully not much more than it has now...

jivete
March 4th, 2010, 08:02 AM
I can't imagine people with ii/iii hair thinking their hair is thin! It makes me even more selfconscious about mine. (If they think theirs looks bad, mine must look hideous!) Therefore I wear it up all the time.

I agree. It's almost kind of rude. I understand wishing for thicker hair (and a hojillion billion dollars and a pony ;)), but lamenting about how thin one's hair is and having much thicker than average hair is kind of a slap in the face to those with hair on the thinner side.

Pixna
March 4th, 2010, 08:12 AM
I agree. It's almost kind of rude. I understand wishing for thicker hair (and a hojillion billion dollars and a pony ;)), but lamenting about how thin one's hair is and having much thicker than average hair is kind of a slap in the face to those with hair on the thinner side.

I don't see it as rude -- I believe it's a matter of perception and relativity. Also, I think some of us have hair anorexia (where we know our hair is long or thick because that's what people tell us or what the "numbers" show, but it still looks short or thin to us). A lot of people aren't happy or satisfied with what they have, whether their hair is thick or thin. There are advantages and disadvantages to each. The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence.

Babyfine
March 4th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Absolutely. Every time I went to a new hairdresser they would always say, "you're hair is so thin! I've never seen such fine, thin hair before." This was a big factor in me sticking with one hairdresser for the last 5 years

I always hear that, too. My last hairdresser retired so I was forced to find a new one.(I'm not yet confident to cut my own hair)
I always hear "My your hair is sooooo fine and thin-you need a short cut-you're wearing it too long for it's fine texture." then I have to tell them I'm not cutting it short, and try to break them in- to accept I'm keeping it long.

Lady Danger
March 4th, 2010, 10:14 AM
I'm extremely self-conscious about how thin my hair is. It's always been super-fine, super-straight (it rejects curl) and flat as a pancake (nothing works.) If it were at least thick, I feel like it'd be a pretty, shiny straight waterfall of fine hair...but it's not. It's thin and stringy looking, no matter how clean, no matter how well cared-for. I can't really wear it up because the scalp cleavage is embarrassing. And don't get me started on how it doesn't balance with my big, fleshy facial features.

The only thing I'm not insecure about anymore is the color. I Henna'd a few months ago and love it.

A friend recently told me "We need to get you more hair confidence!" because she overheard me lamenting how thin and flat my hair is.

barbararla
March 4th, 2010, 11:15 AM
I too am concerned with wanting thickness of my hair...I really don't know where I stand if I'm thin or thick. I did the ponytail measuring thing and it measured to 2.5-3 ish. The thing is my hair is thicker on the back and sides of my head. On the top, where I'm growing out gray hair it's very thin, especially in the front part. Before it used to be thinner but now I'm noticing I am growing new hair there ever since I've been massaging and co/water washing.

Rapunzelwannabe
March 4th, 2010, 11:19 AM
I have a changing insecurity about my thickness, since there's a big difference in the individual thickness of my hairs between everything in front of my ears and everything behind them. So when my hair's down I feel like it's too "fluffy" and the front's all flat but it looks pretty great in a ponytail!

Messyhair
March 4th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Growing up, I always hated how thick my hair was. I had a major undercut when I was in high school and loved it because it got rid of so much thickness. I wasn't so sure of my thickness as an adult either, until I had my hair cut into a bob and thinned with a razor. At first I loved it, but when I started growing it a bit longer, it just didn't feel like my hair. I've realized that I actually love my thickness and had to get it back before growing out. So chop, chop, chop, and here I am again at shoulder length. :)

Nera
March 4th, 2010, 12:50 PM
I have extremely thick hair... People comment all the time on how beautiful it is, but it is untreatable. It takes an hour to comb or fingercomb it. I can hardly braid it these days, because it hurts my arms to even seperate my locks. And it's so heavy that it gives me headaches, and I'm only midback.
I wouldn't want to change it, but you have to know that having thick hair has many downsides too!

GeoJ
March 4th, 2010, 01:16 PM
I do get insecure my hair thickness, especially since it used to be a little thicker than it is now (used to be 4.0", currently it just slightly over 3.5"). What bothers me the most is my taper- which I why I almost never wear my hair down. (I have found that if I want my hair to make me happy when down, I need to spend months maintaining my length with frequent trims because my hair growth is so uneven).

rags
March 4th, 2010, 01:59 PM

I don't think it's rude at all - I didn't mean it that way! I just think ; man, I must be fooling myself when I think mine looks good if they think theirs is thin!

I don't see it as rude -- I believe it's a matter of perception and relativity. Also, I think some of us have hair anorexia (where we know our hair is long or thick because that's what people tell us or what the "numbers" show, but it still looks short or thin to us). A lot of people aren't happy or satisfied with what they have, whether their hair is thick or thin. There are advantages and disadvantages to each. The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence.

I agree with Pixna. I know when my hair was tailbone it still seemed short to me, so I can see how someone with thicker hair would feel theirs is thinner. (still makes me want to hide mine though! :p)

ArienEllariel
March 4th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I'm a little insecure about my hair thickness. It's on the low side of average so I'm always dreaming of more thickness.. I'm trying to learn to love the hair that I do have.

RocketDog
March 4th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I am incredibly self-conscious about my hair thickness, to the point that I will not wear a half-up since I feel it makes me look like I'm balding. I also keep a slight fringe out so that nobody can see the thinness of the hair at my temples, where you can see scalp through my hair no matter how carefully it's combed and arranged. The thing is, I know my hair is perfectly AVERAGE thickness, but it feels so thin to me, and my braid is so dinky...

Bellona
March 4th, 2010, 05:15 PM
my hair is thick and coarse...and sometimes it just looks so weird and fluffy. I am a bit insecure about it at shorter lengths, but I like it a lot more when it is creeping toward waist and finally looks kind of good :)

I have been wearing my hair in a half up with the front layers down lately. It gives the illusion of "normal thickness" hair.

MandyBeth
March 4th, 2010, 05:30 PM

It's the want what you don't have theory. *sniff* I didn't mean to make you cry that my hair tries to eats a fork (it's only a Lilli, it's not that bad), really, I'd rather have pretty hair that behaves like yours!

It's not that I want more hair, I want NORMAL hair. I want hair that does not massacre 75% of hair toys - including well made items. I want hair that I can actually use a clip in. I want hair that other people at this length can put all up happily as my hair fights to even go into a half up.

I'd also prefer a nice M or C hair, instead of this cat F hair I've got. You know, hair that would actually not scream and snap if you look at it cross eyed. Hair that actually can do something because it doesn't snap. Hair that you can S&D because you can see the ends without going cross eyed.

I'd also like it to make up it's mind if it wants to be curly or straight. I'll probably hate it if it ever does.

Thus, I hate what I have on my head, but I'd probably at least like it (maybe) if it wasn't on my head.

Mamakash
March 4th, 2010, 06:13 PM
When I classified my hair for this board, I realized it's not as "bad" as I might have thought. And since I can't changed genetics, I'll work on losing less down the drain.

I have "hair memories" that probably aren't even accurate . . . and except for the spiral perm I had at 18/19 years of age, I've never had a "full" head of hair. In my twenties, when I started growing it long again, it ended up being heavy on the bottom and thin/flat on top. I didn't like the look and didn't want layers . . . I never found layers helped straight, fine hair. But I'll still "long" for the hair I had in a particular snapshot, because it seemed substantial.
I was surprised when I had my long hair cut off(2003 perhaps) because the ponytail the hairdresser cut off of me was (in my opinion) small and pathetic, so maybe I never had that much hair. At least not enough to cry over.

I'd like to have more hair . . . it would make up for having fine hair. I think it's a reasonable goal.

Hairtada
March 4th, 2010, 06:49 PM
It's not that I want more hair, I want NORMAL hair. I want hair that does not massacre 75&#37; of hair toys - including well made items. I want hair that I can actually use a clip in. I want hair that other people at this length can put all up happily as my hair fights to even go into a half up.

Be careful what you wish for. ;)
My hair was well over 5" circumference when I was younger. I could barely touch my thumb to forefinger around it.You could not even see the part in my hair.I hated it!!As I have gotten older ,had children,developed thyroid issues and lots of stress...well ...lots of things happened ..my hair is now hovering just under 3" circumference. I would give anything to have my thick hair back.

I guess that means my answer to this questions is YES, I do feel insecure about my hair thickness. :)

jasper
March 4th, 2010, 07:38 PM
I alway envy volume.

marla
March 4th, 2010, 07:40 PM
I'm very insecure about the thin-ness of my hair especially the way it looks in the back; the last two inches are pretty much non-existent. I keep chopping it off to even it up and it thins out again. I did have thick hair as a pre-teen, but not since then. To make matters worse, because it is so thin, I have to wash every other day or else it looks stringy, and this is probably adding to the problem!

MandyBeth
March 4th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Be careful what you wish for. ;)

Ermm, this IS my thinned hair. Seriously, I lost about 2" of diameter since I've grown back from losing my hair from PPD reaction. That was after having an unknown measurement for my hair, but literally prior to being on MTX, my mom could NOT comb or brush thru my hair and she kept it undercut and unless I lifted my hair up, people would suggest my mom thin my hair.

I am dead serious when I say I do NOT want that hair back. If anyone else finds it, they are welcome to it. I'm serious when I say I'm crazy in love with Rags's hair - I'd love to have that soft silk that would listen to me when I suggest it goes into a bun. You develop just as many insecurities when your hair is a riot and out of control, when your hair is undercut half up your head and you are told that white girls shouldn't wear weaves, when you have to question your sanity as to why people on LHC can use Flexi8/Ficcares/Ketylos, but you can't with 30" less length.

Suszi
March 7th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I went from iii to ii because of chronic hair loss. Thankfully my shedding has stopped and I think I'm even growing some back.

I am not insecure about the thickness of my hair anymore, but when I was shedding I definately was....

I still miss my old thickness but I'm happy I've got plenty left.

Felix_D
March 7th, 2010, 04:16 PM
My insecurity over the thickness of my hair is probably what drove me to this forum in the first place. My hair is so fine, so thin. The hairline starts very far back on my head and is very thin going up around the crown. Every hairdresser says it's the thinnest hair they've ever seen on someone my age. It's only genetics, I'm otherwise healthy and active.

I've cut out all the abuse I used to do (heat styling, swimming, bleaching) but I don't think I'm ever going be gloriously thick like so many on here.

Sissy
March 7th, 2010, 04:23 PM
ahh, yes I wish mine were thicker. Every time I see the dreaded scalp crack I wish it were thicker!

marla
March 7th, 2010, 06:14 PM
The worst part is when a bunch of girls are sitting around talking about how if your hair is thin, you really should get it cut. I just was in the middle of one of those convos last week and I swear I felt someone was going to say something to me like "maybe you should cut your hair, it would look much thicker.

wtchmel
March 7th, 2010, 06:28 PM
I wouldn't say insecure about the thickness or insecure at all about the hair. i have 'issues' with the color(gray) and aging but that's it.
I say, be thankful for the hair you have, there are millions of people that would give anything for your hair as they don't have any, or they're losing theirs. i see it all the time where I work.( and I'm tall, so i easily can see on top of everyones scalp.lol)

DizzyFairy
March 7th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I would not say that I was insecure about my hair being a bit thin, but I would LOVE it to be thicker. A nice fat braid would be so cool!
Aren't there some volumizing products out there? Maybe something like that would give you some thickness, even if just temporary.

LoversLullaby
March 7th, 2010, 07:00 PM
My hair's pretty thick, and I'm not insecure about it at all. I quite love it! :)

Gvnagitlvgei
March 7th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Yes, it used to be thicker and I intend to get that all back this year. Length as first, this year, it's thickness and I'm going to be trimming now.

InTheCity
March 8th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Yes, absolutely yes!
I thought length was what made the hair I love look so great, but I've realized that thickness has a lot to do with it as well.
Then when two different stylists and my mother told me I hair was too thin, I got really upset about it. Fortunately (or unfortunately), some of it seemed to be stress related and I've gotten a tiny bit more thickness.

Mutinous
March 8th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I sometimes feel a bit insecure about it being too thick. I walked into work one day without having heat-styled my hair and my boss commented that I looked feral, as it has this nature to defy gravity, but it doesn't have a nice curl to it, it just kinda sticks out. I used to get it thinned out, but I'm trying to embrace it the way it was intended to be!

BrightEyes7
March 8th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I would just like to have courser hair. I hate how you can't tell I have a mountain of hair if it is in a bun. I have plenty of hair but it is rather fine and therefore it tangles easy. I want thicker hairs.... I have been noticing random thicker hairs so I'm hoping that my LHC hair care is helping thicken my hair! XD

LotteFV
January 9th, 2013, 04:24 PM
My hair is extremely thin and it does in fact make me insecure, but it annoys me even more! I guess that it's the fact that you can't change it by any means that makes it so unbearable for me!

kittengirl
January 9th, 2013, 04:35 PM
My hair is quite thick, but I am pregnant and so I keep worrying about losing thickness postpartum. It is finally getting longer and I am determined to keep growing it out no matter what, but everything I read suggest a new short haircut after baby is born. I'm not sure I understand that...I mean, my hair always takes more work when it's short. I'm not sure why everyone (meaning the general public, not LHC) seems to think that only very thick-haired people should have long hair.

SchnauzerMom
January 9th, 2013, 04:40 PM
I would love to have thicker hair but that ain't gonna happen. I'm not sure I would know what to do with thick hair if I had it.

Iaine
January 9th, 2013, 05:11 PM
I have super thick hair, and it annoys the crap out of me, especially since it can be such a chore to detangle sometimes.

Dovetail
January 9th, 2013, 05:56 PM
I'm Not ashamed of my hair, I know some blondes who have thin enough hair that when up you can see their scalps and so I'm pleased to have the thickness I do have, but my husband and and father both have thick wavy luscious hair and it makes me a bit green sometimes!

biogirl87
January 9th, 2013, 06:17 PM
I am to an extent. For the majority of my teens and the beginning of my twenties my hair was a solid iii. When I measured my ponytail circumference at the end of 2012, it was a ii going on a iii (3.9" circumference). I know that it's still thick, but not as thick as it used to be and I don't feel my hair looks as beautiful now compared to how it used to look when it was thicker.

RileyJane
January 9th, 2013, 06:20 PM
All the time! A lot of my hair volume is with the shorter layers, so once they reach 20" it should be better by then. I notice when I let my hair do its wavy curl thing, it gets some good volume, so I try not to let the current volume let me down, in time it will be thick again :)

trolleypup
January 9th, 2013, 06:46 PM
I would love to have thicker hair but that ain't gonna happen. I'm not sure I would know what to do with thick hair if I had it.
Ditto.

But I *do* know what I would do! Benign Neglect, just like now!

AspenSong
January 9th, 2013, 06:58 PM
I sadly feel like I live in insecurity about my thickness, or the lack of it really......at under 2" and being a 1a, F....I feel like at times I have no hair. Discouraging at times...enough so that I've been wondering about cutting all mine off lately. *shrug*

IndigoOptimist
January 9th, 2013, 07:35 PM
I have fine thin hair. I hate it! It has got a little better in recent years, however I don't always like to wear it down because it clumps up, even when clean. My fringe is the worst bit. I can't not have one because it doesn't suit me, but having one means it's very sparse. I'm not too bothered by it anymore, but for a long time it was the reason I repeatedly cut my hair really short, because you can't tell quite how thin it is that way!

petali
January 9th, 2013, 08:03 PM
I have medium thickness, I think around 3.5 inches. Sometimes, I would rather have thinner hair because of all the tangling, and sometimes I long for thicker hair :)
My insecurity would be the greasiness of my hair. I wish I could go a week without shampooing!

chen bao jun
January 9th, 2013, 08:26 PM
I have extremely thick hair. There are some ladies on LHC with thicker hair, but in real life I've known only one or two people with hair as thick as mine. And it looks even thicker because I'm a curly. In fact, before LHC I often had troubles with it looking out of control and all over the place, because it would FRIZZ. That's improved a lot thank goodness. It is a big job to detangle (that's also improved since I learned about co-washing and pre-pooing) and all my life I 've hated for anyone else to my hair because its such a huge job that they get impatient and start hurting me and yanking it out. Going to the hairdresser is a night mare, not because they want to cut too much off or even because they are mean (usually they are not) but because it's so much for them for them to deal with. I avoided hairdressers for the past ten years and finally went back last spring a few times because my husband was thinking he liked my hair flatironed but it was so horrible I couldn't keep going. My hairdresser is a nice person and she's not one to cut when I don't want her to or anything like that. And she's very competent. Still, everytime I went, it needed two people working frantically to flat iron my hair with two flatirons at the same time, and it still took over an hour. Keep in mind that we are talking about not even armpit length hair here. It was also a nightmare of blowdryer attachments breaking, comb teeth flying all over the shop and me feeling completely humiliated. I went only three times and then went back to natural hair because I honestly couldn't take it.
My friend was telling me the other day that I'm the only person she knows who tells her that I can't do something because I have to wash my hair that day. she wondered why. I couldn't even begin to explain so that it made it any sense to her--she has longish hair, much longer than mine at midback, but could not understand how anyone's hair could literally take hours to wash and dry and style like mine does.
However, I know my hair is very beautiful, it always has been. I've always gotten tons of compliments on it. I know the thickness is part of that. Even when it is a pain in the you know what, I've never wished for thinner hair--and even when I've been jealous of my sister because her hair can be 'styled' (mine really never could be--except during the eighties when out-of-control hair WAS the style) I still don't want to give up mine. I've decided to grow it long to play to its strong points--when its short it really goes pouf and I get the triangle head thing going on and the wild look, but when its longer, I have a really fat braid and fat braids look good. I also get really big looking updoes even with shorter hair. So I'm not complaining. But everything has its up side and its down side, and thin hair is not only easier, from what I have seen with my sister (she's not a i, but on the thinner side of ii), but it's easier to make it look good.

SlipJig
January 9th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Maybe a bit insecure lately, because my current ponytail, which I have grown only recently, really is thinner than the old one I got lopped off my head and kept in a drawer for the past few years (haha creepy! but if anyone would understand it is you ladies here... I got a pixie years ago but wanted to keep my ponytail as a memento). Significantly thinner, and maybe worryingly so, and I was feeling insecure about it for sure. But, upon reflection, I am feeling better. There are still a couple locks that don't fit into my pony now; that makes a difference. My bangs are, I think, thicker now than they were then; more of a difference. I may have had a bit of a stress shed during the fall (or a bunch of my hair has been falling out and growing back in wavier... I can't tell yet), and/or not washing daily might not agree with my scalp (I always washed every day back when I had my hair long, with no apparent ill-effects... in fact my old pony looks and feels super). I am confident that I can get all my pony circumference back, though, and then some (I am growing my bangs out and they'll add a bunch of thickness).

If not, I might go crazy and attempt to glue the old one onto my head, so here's hoping.

ETA: I missed the obvious. A hairdresser thinned my hair out during a cut back in September. Never again. Now I do have real hope, nay, near-certainly, that I'll get it all back, and then some (from growing out the bangs).

PixxieStix
January 9th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Definitely. Some days I feel like I have so much hair I don't know what to do with it, but I know I am missing about 20% of my "natural" volume of hair from the crown of my head because of my trichotillomania. My circumference is around 3.8inches, and growing up I was always told how gorgeous and thick my hair was, but I know it isn't as thick as it should be, and the reason I wear top knots/ high bun every day is because it is what covers/hides all the hair missing from the top of my head! It's SO embarrassing to wear it down, and it's going to take years to finish filling back in, if it ever fills in completely. I don't want thicker hair than what I naturally have, I just want what I have all back. :(

Atira
January 9th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Oh yes. If my hair wasn't curly it would look pretty bad; It is SO thin. :(

CousinItt
January 9th, 2013, 09:12 PM
I was insecure about my hair until recently. Last year I had done baking soda and ACV hair care - what a mistake for me. I have dry hair and live in a dry climate. It started to snap off, AND shed. My mother told me my hair looked scraggly and i should cut it, but i trimmed to shoulder and maintained for a while to decide what i really wanted to do. at the beginning of this year, i began to grow it again after discovering LHC. As of a month ago, my ponytail measures thicker than ever. Yay! No more insecurity!

akilina
January 9th, 2013, 09:17 PM
Its interesting to hear the perspective with those with thick hair..I had no idea!

My hair is thin. I despise it really. :( Im still working at getting rid of layers..and have been at it for a year and a half and I am basically going nowhere with it. :/ Booo. Sometimes I just want to chop my hair off and keep it short because I will probably honestly, never have long hair.

Maha
January 9th, 2013, 09:52 PM
I'm pretty insecure on my hair. I feel that it is too thin, especially near the bottom.
Even though that happens from non trimmed ends (called "fairytale ends" I believe).

I wish it just looked like some of the people I see on here and on youtube videos.
People like hairfreaky, sampsoneh, xxTinkerbellxx, etc.
But I guess I'll be happy if I can at least one day get knee length without it looking too thin at the bottom, I guess it'll just take a lot of time to get some length caught up.

Sharysa
January 9th, 2013, 10:09 PM
I have ridiculously thick hair (somewhere around a 3-4in ponytail), and I hate that I can't do buns or certain braids without either constant redoing or headaches. French/Dutch braiding definitely helps with weight distribution, but I'll have to wait till it grows out until all of it can stay in a normal bun for more than a couple of hours. But that's obviously going to make it MORE heavy as well.

And my hair is only mid-back length right now.

Starblanket
January 9th, 2013, 10:14 PM
I am incredibly insecure of my hair and its thinness and texture. Before my hair was only the diameter of a pencil because of anemia and sebborheic dermatitis. It had thickened up but it is still ridiculously thin.

I never wear my hair down in public because it is too ugly. Logically I know that appearance doesn't matter, but that thought doesn't help it I don't like the way I look. I don't even care of it's iii or ii, I just want enough hair so that I could wear my hair in a braid and it would look like normal thickness and have no or little scalp showing through (which is what it's always like). The eczema on my scalp and all over my body makes me feel ugly too, but especially on my scalp because my scalp looks white because it is so dry and there's flakes everywhere.

I'll be honest with you guys and tell you that I'm crying right now. I am so selfish.

sarelis
January 10th, 2013, 12:54 AM
I am incredibly insecure of my hair and its thinness and texture. Before my hair was only the diameter of a pencil because of anemia and sebborheic dermatitis. It had thickened up but it is still ridiculously thin.

I never wear my hair down in public because it is too ugly. Logically I know that appearance doesn't matter, but that thought doesn't help it I don't like the way I look. I don't even care of it's iii or ii, I just want enough hair so that I could wear my hair in a braid and it would look like normal thickness and have no or little scalp showing through (which is what it's always like). The eczema on my scalp and all over my body makes me feel ugly too, but especially on my scalp because my scalp looks white because it is so dry and there's flakes everywhere.

I'll be honest with you guys and tell you that I'm crying right now. I am so selfish.

Hugs to you, don't be sad, I hate to think of you sitting there crying at 5:15 am over your hair :( It looks lovely in your avatar, not thin looking at all :) Eczema is a horrible thing to live with, I had it when I was younger but luckily grew out of it, though I remember the the incessant itching & sore scratched up skin like it was yesterday.
I have been paranoid about my hair thinning for about the last year or so. I never did a pony circumference measurement when I joined because I am mathmatically challenged, and thought that circumference was diameter, I couldn't believe the measurements I was seeing under peoples avatars, I thought their hair was 3,4,5" thick across the middle of their ponytails! I have just measured now & got 3", I was expecting 1.5", maybe 2". I have a lot of taper though, after having around 1/3 of it ripped out 2 years ago. Also I think a lot of my hair thinning paranoia comes from the fact that my roots are lighter than my dyed hair, which does a good job of looking as if I'm balding.

silkreel
January 10th, 2013, 01:09 AM
I have REALLY thick hair - like 6 inch ponytail, with straight, glossy hair. It's a pain in the butt to flat iron or curl with a curling iron. I never appreciated it until someone SERIOUSLY thinned it out and I was bawling for hours. Since then, I've grown it all the same length. It's a pain to find an elastic that will go around it, and the weight of my ponytail drags my hair down and I can get headaches. Also, NEVER fits in a swim cap. Hairdresser was shocked, said he had never met anyone with thicker hair than I.

With all that said, I'm annoyed at times, but not insecure.

MaryMarx
January 10th, 2013, 01:49 AM
Yes, I'm insecure about my hairs thickness.
I've been told my whole life I have thin hair, and when I was young my hair didn't have any curls but a slight wave, which made the thinness visible.
Today my hair is curly and that is what's going to save me when it gets longer.
I think also I got a lot new growth since I stopped dying and straightening it.

melusine963
January 10th, 2013, 01:55 AM
I'm too self-conscious about my hair to wear it in a braid out and about. I'm at the low end of ii and my braid always looks pathetically thin, made worse by my taper of pre-LHC hair.

bunzfan
January 10th, 2013, 03:44 AM
This is me totally, the strands are fine but i have a lot of it so overall it looks quite thick with the waves. When i joined it was 2.5 in thickness now its 3 or 3.8 if i include the growing out heavy fringe i can't help but want hair like Torrin's but, i'm sure if it was that thick it would be hard to deal with grass is greener and all that.

sarelis
January 10th, 2013, 03:48 AM
i can't help but want hair like Torrin's but, i'm sure if it was that thick it would be hard to deal with grass is greener and all that.

Lol I was watching one of Torrin's tutorials where she split her hair into 3 braids, 1 of those braids was as thick as as my whole hair braided!

Mesmerise
January 10th, 2013, 03:49 AM
I would be happy with just medium (maybe edging towards thick) hair! Mine is currently thin due to lots of shedding *sigh* and it seems that after my shedding stops... it's only for a few months and then it starts again! As a result, I won't wear it in a ponytail because I'm embarrassed about the circumference!

My friend who I work with has insanely thick hair. It's pretty much TBL and if she were to braid it, the tassle of it would be thicker than my ponytail (and no, this is not an exaggeration... she is one of those people whose hair really doesn't taper!). So yeah... I always try and wear my hair in ways that disguise how thin it actually is!

melusine963
January 10th, 2013, 04:08 AM
I always try and wear my hair in ways that disguise how thin it actually is!

That's what I love about my updos. They do a good job of hiding thinness, and the longer the hair, the bigger the bun is. :)

bunzfan
January 10th, 2013, 04:26 AM
Lol I was watching one of Torrin's tutorials where she split her hair into 3 braids, 1 of those braids was as thick as as my whole hair braided!

Yeah totally! and my hair isn't exactly thin :lol: i'm so glad you said that because i watch those awesome video's of hers almost going green with envy.

MissAlida
January 10th, 2013, 05:16 AM
I have finally reached BSL (like so many times in the past 3 years), to get frustrated over the very thin ends, and cut it to almost APL yesterday. Again. I have this cycle you see...I used to shed alot, so my ends got really thin (the circumference of my ends are 1/2 inch). At APL it looks fairly decent, but once it gets to BSL it's pathetic. So I cut. I went to the doctor, got my thyroid checked, and it was ok. Two months ago I found a shampoo which reduced my shedding. So I'm hoping for my hair to grow in thickness, and maybe for once, reach BSL without feeling like I should chop again. Oh how I wish my hair was thicker...all the braids and buns I could do...

Nae
January 10th, 2013, 05:33 AM
I am medium thickness, and my thickness has actually increased since coming here and overall I am pretty content with it. My braid taper though is extreme and therefore I don't like to wear braids down, (plus the tassle does some sort of wonky half curl and looks like a J.) I am hopeful that the thickness will keep moving downward over time.

BUT I have twin 16 year old daughters with insanely thick iii hair. One of their double braids is larger than my normal regular braid. And they have little to no taper. Seeing that everyday as the "norm" makes my hair look really thin in the mirror by comparison, even though I know it isn't. It is just a matter of what looks normal to you. I am pretty darn happy with my hair but I do wish I could comfortably do some of the braided complicated styles that my kiddos can do with no problem.

BUT I help them take care of all that hair and let me tell you, styles are MUCH more difficult for people who have hair that thick. If I try buns on them that I can do easily, it can be a huge struggle to get it to look anything like my neat and happy buns and they have longer hair than I! The grass is always greener on the other side.

Coolcombination
January 10th, 2013, 05:45 AM
When I first joined lhc I measured my ponytail at 3.25" and three months later I remeasured at 3", now the question is did I measure wrongly the first time or have I lost .25" thanks to changing from bad shampoo to natural shampoo? Does anyone know if sulphate/silicone/paraben shampoo artificially increases thickness?

Angelica
January 12th, 2013, 07:31 AM
I thought the idea of hair giving you headaches was just a myth! Perhaps it was the updos you were using?

henné
January 12th, 2013, 07:42 AM
I used to be when I was younger. Now I realize it really doesn't matter.

Especially after meeting a girl with probably a iiii (iv, lol) hair who seriously can't do jack with it and has to keep it in a low ponytail all the time. She keeps commenting on how lovely my hair is and loves all my hair-do's that she can't do herself.

I've just gone through a mild shed and I definitely lost a little in my ponytail-circumference. Do I feel unhappy and insecure about it? No, just a little annoyed. I also hate vacuuming all the damn time :rollin:

It's very helpful to put things into perspective because it's so easy to get caught up in all of these insignificant details - such as hair thickness - especially while frequenting this place. I've seen girls on this board with i, i/ii, thin end of ii hair that is absolutely gorgeous, way more gorgeous than others' that have ii/iii, iii hair (please nobody take this personally, I'm really not thinking of anyone specific at this moment!!!). For me, thickness is not a plus in hair, it's just a number - it's just a fact as is texture, color, etc.

Thickness shmickness :bigtongue:

jacqueline101
January 12th, 2013, 08:09 AM
I want thicker hair and of course longer hair.

Achlys
January 12th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Oh yes, I'm very insecure about my hair. I tend to get the "your hair is so thin" comments. Well, it's a low ii, but it's still noticeaby thinner than most hairs around me. It's also fine. I almost never wear braids because of that. Actually, I'm more insecure about updos because I have a naturally high hairline that is also thin. I'm not sure if it has always been that way or it has appeared in the last few years. So I usually wear my hair down or in a low bun. Some time ago I looked at the top of my head with a mirror and almost thought I'm balding there, but then I realised that it looks the same when parted elsewhere. So yes, I stress a lot about my hair. I want to try some scalp remedies or supplements but I don't have enough money at the moment.

Amygirl8
January 12th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Yeah, I'm insecure about mine too.
Doesn't help that everyone around here is Asian and therefore almost everyone has really pretty and thick hair.
My hair is hovering around three inches, but I do wish I could have some more.

NoRush
January 12th, 2013, 11:06 AM
I am... not :p I wish my hair had more volume but I had heard all my life that my hair was so thin, "you have a lot of hair but it's so fine!" Then I discovered LHC and found that my hair is a very respectable ii/iii and a mix of fine/med/coarse so I feel better than ever about it! ;)

Vampyria
January 12th, 2013, 11:33 AM
I'm a bit obsessed with the thickness right now, and I'm worried how my hair will look when it gets longer, mostly because I realized that sleek, smooth, thin hair doesn't suit my face shape at all (otherwise I have always liked and wanted it), and I would really like to have a thick hemline. I had really thick hair as a child and very thick, coarse, curly hair as a teenager, and I'm used to having very thick hair. It was impossible to tame it though, it looked like a big frizz ball and I really hated it.

Now my hair is wavy (but it looks straight mostly), and since I've started using natural cosmetics (also no SLS and SLES), it got a lot finnier and feels thinner. I have lost at least half an inch of my pony circumference due to the shedding also.

Before the shedding, I was pretty happy with my thickness, but the ends were horribly thin, and now that my hair is thinner (the part in front is a bit see through also), the ends really thickened up with micro trimming (I cut my hair from mid back to above APL in a year and then all the growth every month for almost a year). I decided to only trim twice a year now, so I hope the shedding doesn't increase.

You can't have it all, I guess. At least it's kind of puffy so it looks a bit thicker ;)

Cupofmilk
January 12th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Yes. My hairs looks reasonable down but then I see pictures on here where someones hair is so big it literally hides their whole body its simply huge. Some people's braids are thicker than my wrist and I have to admit some envy.

raebbit
January 13th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Oh yes, my hair is rather thin and I wish I had more and thicker hair. My ponytail is only 7 cm, so that is really thin compared to most peoples hair here... I have the hope that my hair will become a little thicker, as I am growing it for the first time in ages and I can actually see a halo of new growth.

Sharysa
January 13th, 2013, 12:54 PM
So I found out that I don't need a thicker hair-tie--I just need to put another tie an inch or two down from the first.

It helps keep my tassel from looking like a small mammal, but then said tassel looks even LONGER and I keep feeling the urge to take the whole braid down and redo it.

Here's hoping that growing out my blunt hem into fairy-tale ends will help.

catamonica
January 13th, 2013, 12:54 PM
I read on line that dehydrated chopped onion & dehydrated minced onion make your hair thicker. I tried both. My hair's thick. But
the onion made it feel thicker. I added two capfuls to my conditioner.

rock007junkie
January 13th, 2013, 01:18 PM
I am. I've been transitioning from a relaxer for about 2 years. The part of my hair that's relaxed is significantly thinner than the new growth which is nice and thick.

lolar
January 13th, 2013, 01:29 PM
I think we always want what we dont have, I have mine cut with thinning scissors at the ends as I hate the way it falls when it's all bulky and thick at the ends..

MaryO
January 14th, 2013, 12:01 AM
I do feel a bit insecure about the lack of thickness in my hair My sister and my brother were blessed with not only thick hair but many hairs, I stood behind them in the row! ;-) My hair does get a bit thicker when it gets longer but not what I would call THICK... Always a bit scared it makes my hair look lifeless and dull.

auburntressed
January 14th, 2013, 02:12 AM
10 thingy..........

Louise148
January 14th, 2013, 03:30 AM
Yes, I do tend to obsess a little about the fineness of my hair. I have no idea what my ponytail circumference is because my hair isn't yet long enough for me to get it all in a scunchie at the moment but it won't be very much. I have always had fine hair but now I am in my 40's I do think it is even thinner or maybe it's because since trying to grow it again after having short hair for so long I am paying too much attention to it. Either way I still crave lovely thick, full hair.

Coolcombination
January 14th, 2013, 05:30 AM
My hair feels a lot thinner recently, I seem to be shedding but I'm not sure that I am. I'm noticing my hair a lot more lately and with the extra length my hair gets pulled down from the weight so I'm not sure whether this amounts to my increased attention or increased shedding? :(

Danni5173
January 14th, 2013, 10:04 AM
I too am insecure about it since I lost most of it lately due to a very extreme Vitamin D deficiency. I'm depressed about it and not sure how I will come back from it. I'm still trying to figure out how to take care of it until my Vit D levels come back up and then I'm probably going to have to start growing all over again. :(

I guess the bright side is that even if our hair is thin we aren't bald.

Neneka
January 14th, 2013, 11:45 AM
It always surprises me when people with gorgeous hair are insecure about it but it's what humans are. :)

I have always been insecure about my hair. I have thought that it's extremely thin and I thought it was a bad thing. LHC has cured me from that. I have seen here so many beautiful pictures of thin hair so I don't think it's a bad thing. My hair is in the middle of ii category so it's not even thin. It's just fine and straight and looks slippery so people call it thin. I am just happy that I have this much hair that can grow long. Also my natural colour is tawny (I refuse to say mousy) so people around me have made me think that I have bad hair. I am so happy I found LHC!

Edit. I am always a bit worried if I hurt someones feelings when I talk about thin hair and how I have been insecure about that. Thin healthy hair is beautiful! Also. My writing is a bit off because I haven't written anything in English in quite awhile so I can't express myself as well as I would like to.

Nebulae
January 14th, 2013, 12:06 PM
I do feel a little insecure about it, yes.. Especially lately, I have noticed it more for some unknown reason.
Last time (and only time, really) that I measured my circumference I was just qualifying as an ii, but that was including bangs.. and close to my scalp. Go down a few inches and it really thins out :( I know that I have new growth since I stopped a lot of the damaging things that I used to do to my hair, but it is taking soooo long for it to grow out. While I am thankful for the extra strands of hair I'm getting now, I am still not happy and have never been happy about my hairs thinness, ever since childhood.
I hate the fact that there is so much scalp visible through the top parts of my hair.. also the first inch or so around my hairline if I put my hair up, you see scalp shining through. My braid size.. sigh.. I look at these beautiful braids on some people and think that my whole braid is like one strand for them.. :D
I have always been on the hunt for volume, but I decided it was time to give up the impossible and focus on attaining health and length to be proud of instead. :) Now if I would just stop comparing thickness...

I wish we all could just share thickness with eachother so that we all are happier.. :magic: the grass always seems to be greener, huh?

chen bao jun
January 14th, 2013, 01:21 PM
I heard of this before--but how do you get the onion out? I tried a banana DC once and the chunks of banana were horrible to remove and since then I am kind of concerned about putting food in large chunks in my hair.

Vrindi
January 14th, 2013, 01:28 PM

Yep. Me too. My hair is fine, and although I have a lot of it and it tends to have great volume, it compresses quite a bit when braided or bunned. I would love a luscious, thick braid. But, I've grown to wearing a loose, lazy braid that drapes nicely with little pieces that slip out like a fairy's would. I'm cool with that! Although, I've always been envious of hair like the girl in Brave. *sigh*

I also want a pony, and a castle. Beachfront.

chen bao jun
January 14th, 2013, 01:39 PM
My hair is quite thick, but I am pregnant and so I keep worrying about losing thickness postpartum. It is finally getting longer and I am determined to keep growing it out no matter what, but everything I read suggest a new short haircut after baby is born. I'm not sure I understand that...I mean, my hair always takes more work when it's short. I'm not sure why everyone (meaning the general public, not LHC) seems to think that only very thick-haired people should have long hair.
Grows back. And you may not even lose any. I never shed with my first two. I did a little with number three but within six months, it was all back.
What I WOULD suggest is that you find some really easy haircare routine and easy updo that will stay that way because with a baby, though you will be joyful and happy, you will be exhausted. I think most people cut off their hair after a baby not because of thinning but because they are under the delusion that taking care of short hair will be easier and they're exhausted and have little time and want 'easy'.

chen bao jun
January 14th, 2013, 01:41 PM
I'm not sure why everyone (meaning the general public, not LHC) seems to think that only very thick-haired people should have long hair.
They don't think that. They think nobody should have long hair. If its thin they tell you it's too thin to be long and if it's thick they tell you that it needs to be cut because it's too thick and wild and has no style.
At least, that's what people have always told me and my hair has never even been longer than brastrap.

Sharysa
January 14th, 2013, 09:44 PM
They don't think that. They think nobody should have long hair. If its thin they tell you it's too thin to be long and if it's thick they tell you that it needs to be cut because it's too thick and wild and has no style.

Indeed. Thankfully my friends like my hair, but my mom keeps telling me that my hair is too long and unruly. Especially since I like it curly instead of straight.

petitepraline
January 14th, 2013, 10:06 PM
Absolutely. I can never wear my hair in a braid and I get so self-conscious when people touch my hair. But I'm learning to love it as it is....and take better care of it, too :)

Vijikanth
January 15th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Yes I am insecure even now. I could feel there is lots of hair coming out recently. That is fine. But I dont think it is growing back also as it used to do.. that worries me a lot. I almost lost confidence and there was a small thought also to start all over since I found that my hair is thinned a lot. Then something stopped me from cutting it short. And also few people who had been admiring my hair complained it has thinned but grown longer... May be its the season, or my recent routine. Am investigating...:)

Mayflower
January 15th, 2013, 09:10 AM
It's not that I'm insecure about the thickness (it hovers around 4"), but I would like a really fat braid. If I don't brush my hair and braid it losely when it's wavy, I get a big braid. But when my hair's all smooth and tightly braided, a lot less.
But I am super grateful for the thickness that I have because thinning hair is my worst nightmare, and unfortunately so many people have to deal with it. So whenever I think about wanting thicker hair, I feel stupid because my thickness is nothing to complain about and I'm very aware of that.

catamonica
January 19th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Delilah, I read online that dehydrated chopped onion & dehydrated minced onion makes your hair thicker. I have fine thick hair. I put two capfuls in my conditioner. I have tried both. My hair felt thicker. I hope you try it. And I hope it helps. If you braid your hair at night, when you wake up, it will be in beautiful waves.

dragonfly90
January 22nd, 2013, 10:31 AM
I'm not insecure about the thickness of my hair. I guess it's pretty average, but it used to be waaay thicker when I was younger. It thinned out a lot after I started getting stomach problems. My mom and sister both have very thick hair and they consider it a nuisance because it takes longer to brush/flat iron.

Mírien
January 22nd, 2013, 10:58 AM
I used to think that I have thick hair. It is wavy and I do not have layers, therefore it looks much more than the layered-dry-and-fried tresses of most girls in my area. But when I found LHC my perception of thickness changed radically. What appeared to me a decent braid before, know looks fairly thin... Yet I think that if I manage to grow out the taper that I still have due to pre-LHC bad habits I will be satisfied with my sickness. :)

mamaherrera
July 25th, 2013, 06:45 PM
I have the same issue as many of you. As a youngeon, I was always told how thick my hair was and now I don't hear that. But I've also changed so many things. I used to brush my curly hair daily and lived in a humid climate, but now I don't brush, it clumps and I live in the desert. But still I have that "is it thinning" fear . And it comes up more if I braid, because my hair mega-compresses. What to do. I would love to hear from you all or have a link to know, what things have you learned from LHC that have helped you the most on gaining thickness???