PDA

View Full Version : Layers

atlantaz3
May 20th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I've gotten really bored with my all one length hair and have been thinking about layers for quite some time now. However I remember how long it took me to get to all one length - what I don't like about it is how my hair looks skinned back mean bun lady when up and I've been trying different up dos, braids sticks clips hair bands etc.

I don't want bangs that was even worse to grow out than layers. If I have layers the shortest will be just below chin length. I'm thinking something like Kyra Sedgewick http://www.peoplestylewatch.com/people/stylewatch/gallery/0,,1203416_8,00.html
But then I don't want to turn in to another look alike blonde.... My hair grows very slowly - even with layered styles of the 80's I only cut every 4-5 months - so this would be drastic for me.

Plus I don't think I'm going to get much more length- waist length hair is a pipe dream, growing four inches a year and I've been growing out since 02 with some drastic cuts from layers to one length. (but the last two have been 1/2 trims twice a year).

And yes I know this will be a maintenance heavy hairstyle - that part I'm not looking forward to. I'm hoping some of my natural wave will come out with the layers.

Okay if you made it reading through my wandering post this far, I guess my question is what would you do, or what would you suggest I do? (two week rule was gone about a month ago!)

Addy
May 20th, 2009, 08:09 PM
If you get layers and try to braid or do updo's, you can just forget about it! You'll have hair popping out everywhere!

I am personally sick of layers but it's your hair, I just wanted to point out that updos will be that much harder to keep up and tidy. Plus your growth is slow, according to you, are you willing to stick it out if you don't like it? Those chin length layers sound pretty short to me and my hair grows fast! Have you thought about longer layers instead?

Whatever you decide, I hope you like it and I wish you well.

I'd like to add that I think your hair is beautiful! I don't think you should cut it but that's just me.

amaiaisabella
May 20th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I know how you're feeling. I've been considering layers because they enhance my waves more, and help add definition and shape when my hair lies flat. But I also know what a pain updos with layers are- so I'm kinda stuck.

I honestly don't think a few layers would hurt- but I wouldn't go as short as chin length. Why don't you start your shortest layer at just below shoulder length, and go from there? Or just do one or two layers closes to your bottom length? That shouldn't hurt your updos too much, and you'll get a little something different without taking away too much length.

SheWolf
May 20th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I know how you're feeling. I've been considering layers because they enhance my waves more, and help add definition and shape when my hair lies flat. But I also know what a pain updos with layers are- so I'm kinda stuck.

I honestly don't think a few layers would hurt- but I wouldn't go as short as chin length. Why don't you start your shortest layer at just below shoulder length, and go from there? Or just do one or two layers closes to your bottom length? That shouldn't hurt your updos too much, and you'll get a little something different without taking away too much length.

Yup, that's what I was thinking too... the best of both worlds?

Furiana
May 20th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Am I the only one who prefers doing updos with layers? Ends popping out all over is the point! I *like* the bits and pieces that fall out; they looked good on me back when I had them. I've been considering layers myself, just to get that back.

One thing to consider, though, atlantaz3: if you grow 4" a year and waist length is your goal, then you look like you only have a year or less to go. (When straightened, anyways.)

Rohele
May 20th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I wouldn't go a short as chin length either (that's really short!). Maybe try a few in the last 2-3" of hair? That's not as much of a commitment, especially of you don't end up liking them, and you can always add a few more later if you decide you do like them.

I'm not anti-layer - I have them too, and like them, but I remember from before that layers starting at chin length = tons of layers to deal with, especially at a longer length. (I've been keeping mine longer this time, and they are much easier to deal with.)

ladylibra
May 20th, 2009, 09:16 PM
I am currently growing out layers. I am too through with them right now. :mad: I liked them when I first got them though... they tend to grow out somewhat gracefully at first too.

But right now I just want them gone! :o

andrea1982
May 20th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I had my hair cut to all one length last fall, and I really miss my layers when my hair is down. My hair looks way better down with layers than without. However, as others have pointed out, braids and updo's look way better with a blunt cut. Have you considered getting only face framing layers? You may be able to have the best of both worlds that way.

Renbirde
May 20th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I had hair that looked like yours a few years ago, and got layers and highlights put in. It was fun for the first few days, but I couldn't even put it in a pony without pieces falling out. I don't have any time to maintain layers, so they got really ratty. I ended up cutting them all out a while later and loosing about a foot of hair. I'm much more happy with my current one-length, hip length hair.

Stick with it-- you're not far from your goal! Have you thought of using a non-damaging dye to mix your look up a bit?

inertia
May 20th, 2009, 11:43 PM
I think you need to ask yourself how much styling you want to do, and what kind of styles. Layers are great for loose styles with waves, curls, and volume on top. They're also perfect for casual updo styles like peacock twists which call for having bits of hair sticking out, or the half-up styles at the bottom of this page:
http://www.beauty-navi.com/wedding/feauture/wedding9/#long_ktwo

But if you generally prefer not to spend time on styling, or you would rather have a polished look with updos, then one-length is much better.

I like the long layers suggestion. If you start the layers between shoulder to APL you'll get a lot of the casual-style advantages of layers without too many of the disadvantages. And it won't take as long to grow out if you get tired of them.

Jules diamond
May 20th, 2009, 11:53 PM
You're not alone furiana! I love doing updos like that! It frames my face nicely and adds something to it.

ravenreed
May 21st, 2009, 02:20 AM
I have layers. I don't style my hair and it looks GREAT down. I get compliments all the time on it. Braids do get fuzzy, but my buns are fine if I take the time to tuck the extra bits in.

I am hoping to grow my layers out a bit, so that I can have one really long layer free tassel, but I have no intentions of ditching the layers altogether.

tsenglish@ns.sy
May 21st, 2009, 05:50 AM
I have wavy hair and I always have layers. It looks great, I love them! I get long layers all around with just a few face framing ones starting about an inch under chin. My hair gets the wide-bottom , pyramid look which i personally do not care for at all. I like it to have swing & movement. layers give me that. For my hairtype, They work fabulously.

I don't "style" my hair either. No blowdryer, no flatiron. Wash & air dry. When my hair is about 95% dry, I gently twist it up into a few jaw clip buns to "set" for about 15 - 20 min. the result is full, smooth, bouncy waves. (usually, depending on the humidity :cool:)

I do not like the severe look of all of my hair pulled back from my face. I like a few softening pieces.

cleanbug
May 21st, 2009, 06:03 AM
I say yes to layers. I have always had layers & love them. I only had layers in the bottom 2-3 inches when my hair was BSL.
Now I have shoulder length hair & my layers are in the bottom 2.5 inches.

It is layered a little heavier than I would like for hair that is just skimming my shoulders but I had damage in the bottom inch of my layers & had to cut it out.

Anyway, there are still great updos you can do with claw clasps, high ponlytails & french braids that will be just fine with layers starting around 2 inches past the chin.

Thats just my opinion though. I have never had waist lenth hair or uber long hair so I never got to do alot of the buns & such that long, unlayered hair works so well in.

Tap Dancer
May 21st, 2009, 06:39 AM
If your hair grows slowly and you really want layers, I'd suggest long layers. Don't have the shortest one at chin length...that's too short and it might be as annoying as still-growing-out bangs. I'd cut the shortest layer to be below the shoulders.

Furiana
May 21st, 2009, 07:25 AM
You're not alone furiana! I love doing updos like that! It frames my face nicely and adds something to it.

Thank goodness! I was starting to worry! :p

atlantaz3
May 21st, 2009, 02:30 PM
Thanks for all the kind words of advice. I still haven't quite decided what I want to do. I had the face framing layers I think - just the bottom of the front pieces trimmed in a diagonal. I liked it when they curled under the right way! I basically went from a farrah to a bob with bangs to growing out bangs to the one length. I don't remember pieces out all over the place with layers and I used to do a lot of french braids or put my hair up with a "romantic" top knot with pieces falling down - I liked that look - but don't think it would be as cute at my advanced age!
Right now leaning towards the last two or three inches layers and add more if I like it - my only concern with that is - will it show enough of a difference?

spidermom
May 21st, 2009, 02:38 PM
Oh bah! I don't have layers, but I still have bits of hair sticking out all over the place. Braids are especially messy. I don't know how much time you spend on your hair and looking at your hair, but I sincerely believe that being bored cannot be cured with a new hair cut. It'll be new and different for a couple of weeks, maybe a month, and then it's same-ol' same-ol'. If you're looking for something more flattering, that's one thing, but if you're looking for something that will relieve the boredom, don't cut your hair. Take up a new hobby or something instead.