PDA

View Full Version : The Dirty Dozen Hair Mistakes, by MSN

enfys
May 20th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Has anyone seen this? I assume it's new because it came up on today's MSN Today box. Not a bad article for a change:

http://style.uk.msn.com/beauty/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=16253408

What do you think? Have they been listening, to a degree at least?

nayver
May 20th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I agree with some of the advice: daily shampoo, don't fight your natural hair, etc, but they still promoting trimming to grow hair. I know that trimming can sometimes be useful, but sometimes I feel I loose too much lenght.

deko
May 20th, 2009, 04:01 PM
I think they got many things right. For the trimming part I must say that when you're growing out very damaged hair you just have to do micro-trims monthly, otherwise the hair will break and shorten much more. I know at least my hair will.

Very good starting advices for a regular person, and we hair-freaks can add some up :D

spidermom
May 20th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I agreed with most of that. Obviously I see no reason to color gray (white/silver/platinum) hair. Dull and washed out? It's brighter than my adult color before the change. But they're talking to a lot of people so generalizing can't be avoided.

That thing about trimming bringing out the best in hair? I'm coming into agreement with that. I haven't trimmed in 10-1/2 months, and my hair is taking on an unkempt look, I think. When I'm out in public, I look at hair a lot, and trimmed hair always looks best to me. Untrimmed hair can look like somebody just doesn't care about her hair anymore, whereas trimmed hair at the same length looks like somebody is lovingly maintaining it. That's just my first impression speaking; I don't assume untrimmed hair is uncared for, mostly because of this site.

FullMoonTrim
May 20th, 2009, 04:05 PM
I agree with some of the advice: daily shampoo, don't fight your natural hair, etc, but they still promoting trimming to grow hair. I know that trimming can sometimes be useful, but sometimes I feel I loose too much lenght.
Yes, I agree with you about the trimming thing. I have been trimming to keep it healthy for years...and not gaining much at all in length. Now I realize I have to take better care of it as it grows (more careful brushing, not letting it get all tangled up etc) and then I won't need as many trims.

HairColoredHair
May 20th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I think trimming is useful IF you have damage that is causing more damage, after all, you can hide and baby the damage, but trimming gets rid of it.

That having been said, aside from some S&D I haven't trimmed my hair in years...

enfys
May 20th, 2009, 04:16 PM
By continuing to get trims, your hair will look fuller and healthier, and you’ll never have that ‘I’m growing my hair out’ look.

I do agree with that, if you like blunt ends. I do myself, so I'm inclined to agree.

I liked how they seemed to understand what things like silicone and heat to, even if they don't advise totally cutting it out.

For something as mainstream as MSN I though it was pretty good. Not 100%, but better than most.

RancheroTheBee
May 20th, 2009, 05:29 PM
It's not perfect, but it's worlds better than that awful Marie Claire article.

Elainehali
May 20th, 2009, 05:36 PM
To me, it seems that using too much conditioner isn't the problem. When it doesn't get completely rinsed out you have the "dull heavy hair" problem.

:p Yepp these articles are getting closer to the truth.

Maelyssa
May 20th, 2009, 05:45 PM
This was definitely an interesting read that's for sure. I agree mostly with what they're saying. Although I think that with self-trimming we don't have to always keep up going to a salon & a little bit of trimming does indeed keep the hemline looking fuller in lots of cases.
All & all I think the general public is starting to finally get it. :D

Ella Menneau P.
May 20th, 2009, 05:47 PM
I guess I'm in a style rut....:cheese:

Wavelength
May 20th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Most of it was all right, but the "don't use excess conditioner" tip made me snicker. I'm sure they'd think we CO-washers are using waaaayyyy too much! :D

rose_in_bloom
May 20th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Most of those were pretty good, actually. Maybe some people are beginning to catch on. :) I thought it was funny how they said "Heat styling is bad for your hair, so use a heat protectant spray!", instead of saying "Heat styling is bad, so DON'T DO IT!" lol...

CinnamonCurls
May 21st, 2009, 12:16 AM
I am just glad that these truths, or partial truths are finally being spread around to the public. I've had many an argument about hair care, with girls who had hair 2+ feet shorter hair than mine insisted she knew what she was doing, as she went to a salon every 6-8 weeks, and did this and did that.

Finally a third person comes in to mediate and the consensus is..well, she has hair that is down to her butt, and yours is just past your shoulders...maybe she does know how to take proper care of it, and you've been trying to grow it out for 5+ years and have nothing on her length....those moments are fun...especially the "my mother taught me...." Yeah, my mother taught me lots too, but now I am an adult, and I am required to be responsible and KNOW why I believe what I believe, and yeah, a good healthy portion of what my parents demanded has gone out of practice very quickly once I was allowed the freedom to actually BE an adult. Sadly this happened a few years after I was married. Ummm, Kristina, back to topic, this isn't about your parents....

I am just glad to see a mainstream article that I might not mind sending the link to a few friends who are thinking of taking better care of their hair...it certainly gives them a starting off point, as weak as it may be in certain areas.

Aditi
May 21st, 2009, 01:35 AM
I have to agree with most of the advice like Trimming, using right products for hair, not to change your natural hair pattern. Overall it was a good read i am glad that finally people are getting over with heat styling stuff and other harmful products.

Carina
May 21st, 2009, 10:40 AM
I think they are on the right way now,finally.My hair is always unhappy if I use to little conditioner.I just hate when you have to take that last bloop of conditioner and it is not going to be enough.But I am productjunkie so it doesn't happen that often.:cheese:

florenonite
May 21st, 2009, 11:15 AM
To me, it seems that using too much conditioner isn't the problem. When it doesn't get completely rinsed out you have the "dull heavy hair" problem.

:p Yepp these articles are getting closer to the truth.

They do acknowledge, at least, that you should focus the conditioner on your length and ends, and avoid the roots. There are people who prefer to put their conditioner throughout their hair (or CO wash!) but in general people do better by applying conditioner from the ears down.

ETA: Why do they always tell you to "update" your style? I say "find something that suits you, and stick to it", unless you like changing it, of course.

JamieLeigh
May 21st, 2009, 04:05 PM
Fairly good article, by comparison to what else they've put out there. I couldn't do the daily shampoo though. My hair does NOT like that, been there!! :rolleyes:

There will never be any all-encompassing list of things that work best or worst for EVERYONE. There are so many different hair types, that it would be impossible.