PDA

View Full Version : Curls like mine when it gets elbow-length

PhillyGirl1978@
May 20th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Ok so someone started a "dream hair" thread and everyone was posting pics of the hair they wish they could have. I saw a pic there that I reposted as my dream-hair. It was a pic of loose curls, mostly straight and gradually wavy up top, it got more wavy as it went on and fell into big soft curls more towards the end. So my question is...I have 3a/2c hair (the top is pretty wavy and I can get a comb through that part when dry) I am trying to grow in my layers and am aiming for elbow-length/bellybutton hair. How close do you think I can come to my dream hair? I figure I might keep a few layers just around my face cause that part does tend to fall flat...but I'd like the rest to be one length. If that doesn't work I'd like to at least lessen the distance between my longest and shortest layers so I can have more weight.

GlassEyes
May 21st, 2009, 01:18 PM
Well, if it's 2c/3a, it's a possibility. The longer it gets the more the top will be pulled straight, likely, and the bottom will still curl like it is now. Whether that'll happen at exactly elbow-lenght or not, I can't say. It depends on how thick/heavy your hair is already and if you use products that will weigh it down in addition to the weight of the hair.

Heidi_234
May 21st, 2009, 01:55 PM
As a elbow length 2c/3a-er, and seeing that pic, your goal is slightly unreal. That hair was straightened, curled, covered with glossing and styling products, and then the pic retouched in photoshop. To think that your hair is going to look like that in real life is delusional.
Apart from that, our hair type is more curly than the one in the pic, your curls will be smaller and tighter (unless you put extra effort to have them otherwise). Your curls might relax a little bit as hair gets longer. The hair close to your scalp might become straighter (it is pretty straight on me), but that's the only things you can expect.
I'm telling this like that just so you won't get your hopes too high, and become disappointed when you're there. Keep it real :flower:

PhillyGirl1978@
May 22nd, 2009, 05:01 AM
Thanks guys. That picture is just so nice. You always find that when you see those great curls they were manipulated in someway. So it's impossible for any real curly to get them. My hair is pretty thick...I am just hoping not to get triangle head. These layers are a pain so I want to grow them in. I guess I'd be happy with the top straighter part going a little further down as it grows because I like the idea of running fingers through it...or part of it. I really just want a thick full hemline and long manageable hair. So far it's pretty healthy and is growing pretty fast so I guess I can't ask for much more than that.

Curlsgirl
May 22nd, 2009, 06:19 AM
I think what you have now at 29 inches is probably a good indicator of how your hair will also look at elbow length. Mine is elbow length and almost the same as you have your hair typed. I love the curls I have and yes it is straighter at the top and then curlier toward the ends. Mine is all one length except bangs and it is nice and thick all the way down. I have no triangle head at all and haven't since about APL actually or maybe a bit longer. Enjoy your hair the way it is is my advice. Lots of people probably think your hair is their dream hair!

PhillyGirl1978@
May 22nd, 2009, 04:17 PM
You're right...they do and I am flattered. I get old all the time about it and I do love it...it's such a huge contrast to what it used to be when I was in curly-denial!lol I am sure I will be happy with it however it is when it gets to that length...I'm happy with it now. Who knew your hair could be so nice if you just left it alone!lol

DrkAngel
May 22nd, 2009, 08:06 PM
I'd say it depends mainly on the weight of your hair. Mine gets looser the longer my hair gets. I see you classified yourself as F/M. Mine is super fine, and when they cut it up to my chin as a kid (mistake never to be repeated) it went up in crazy poodle curls. It's now past waist and without gel or any sort of product to hold the curl, it's more wavy than anything. So looking at your picture, I'd say it might well loosen up to what your dream-hair is. :)

PhillyGirl1978@
May 23rd, 2009, 12:07 PM
That would be great! Quite a bit of the curl is pulled out at the root which if fine with me, just don't want the dreaded triangle head!lol I think I may have past the length where I would get that though. Also I do henna, I think that also may add to the weight.