PDA

View Full Version : How did you start growing?

smerrie
May 20th, 2009, 08:22 AM
What made you want to grow your hair to extreme lengths? :)

And what did you do to start the process? Did you cut a pixie cut, and wait it out? Gradually cut off damage along the way?

Did you have layers, or one solid length? And which do you prefer?

Anje
May 20th, 2009, 08:32 AM
My hair was more or less one length, and about BSL. I realized I didn't really need to cut it, and it would be neat to have it longer. So I didn't cut it.

My hair was in good condition pre-LHC, so there wasn't much damage to be removed.

MsBubbles
May 20th, 2009, 08:36 AM
The universe conspired to shove me in the direction of LHC, the rest is history :):

2 years ago my long-term hair stylist got deathly ill (thankfully she survived), at the same time I ran out of highlight-money. So I went a good 6 months with no cutting and no root touch-ups. After my layered 'mom' haircut started brushing below my shoulders I got the long hair bug again. Found LHC a year ago and am now biding my time until tailbone :D.

mira-chan
May 20th, 2009, 08:42 AM

And what did you do to start the process? Did you cut a pixie cut, and wait it out? Gradually cut off damage along the way?

Define extreme length please because that varies greatly from person to person.

I've had waist to tailbone (not an extreme length for me) hair since I decided I wanted it long at 6 years old. I haven't had it shorter than waist since that time. If you mean longer than that (it's currently just past classic), then I just did it for curiosity and for fun. Plus I don't like cutting it. I just stopped cutting it back and it grew.

There was no damage as I have never coloured, heat styled, etc. Long hair just feels natural to me. :shrug:

I have neither blunt nor layered hair. It's pretty much uncut, so grows in it's natural growth shape, "fairy tale ends" as it is called here. Though some of the thinness at the ends is due to a major shed. I hardly have split ends and those I cut off individually (Search & Destroy), so no need for cuts.

viking_quest
May 20th, 2009, 09:00 AM
I had a friend. He literally begged me everyday (as did a lot of other people) to grow out my hair. This went on for about two years until I finally told him that I'd do it. I was only planning on growing out to my shoulders and then cutting it back but then I saw the long hair community on livejournal, fell in love with very long hair, and wanted it for myself. He told me a while ago that he wanted me to grow out to TB, so now I have a constant supporter in my quest for long hair.

I had a Mia Farrow haircut similar to her hair in Rosemary's Baby (it was a great cut too). I've only had it cut once since then. I was growing out the pixie which turned into a mullet and I had my dad cut off the longest layer (which was already to my shoulders, the shortest was to my ears). It wasn't damaged. It's a good thing that I've been practicing benign neglect my whole life pretty much.

Rapunzal2Be
May 20th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I made the decision in steps, I think.

First, I got a horrible short hair cut (trying to get Katie Holme's short 'do and failing miserably) and wanted to stay as far away from scissors as possible (luckily my hair grows at a decent pace, and I found a stylist who actually listened when I said "just trim it up"). I'm just trying to get rid of layers at this point.

Then I got sick of trying to achieve the perfect shade of blonde and ending up with brassiness or frying my hair. So I went back to brunette and am letting my natural color grow in.

Next I decided to take steps to stop losing my hair (I think I shed due to stress and a genetic predisposition to female thinning in my family), so I started using Nioxin products and nothing else. This brought me amazing results. I saw new "sprouts" within a few weeks and my hair had never looked better - shiny and sleek, and the shedding was greatly reduced.

Then I just sort of gave up flat ironing/stying and left my hair alone for a month or two. I don't remember why I did this, I think I just had other things on my mind, but the result was that I started to like my hair just the way it dried on its own, with a little bit of serum in it for shine.

I have no idea what I was googling when I came upon a thread from this forum and got curious. So I joined and started reading and was immediately hooked! Probably too much so in the beginning, because I was overwhelmed with all of the choices of hair care and all of the differing advice, etc. I started doubting my own routine (which I was previously happy with) and wanting to go in all different directions at once.

But after thinking it through and some experimentation, I have started to figure out a routine of my own that combines my conventional products (the Nioxin I just can't give up) with some more natural hair care (cassia, fenugreek, Nature's Gate conditioners, aloe gel, coconut oil, bhrenji (sp?) oil, Monistat for growth, and I'm waiting for my Mega Tek to come in). It still sounds like a lot, but I'm having fun experimenting and my hair is looking/feeling great.

So here I am with shoulder length hair, a few inches to go to get rid of layers (which I am doing now rather than later, because I have fine hair and need all of the thickness I can get), and probably six inches of previously colored hair to grow out and then I'll be natural (cassia for strength and shine only).

My goal is to stay out of salons unsupervised (ha ha, but I am easily talked into things and can't seem to stand my ground, so I'll take my Mom or husband with me if I need a trim to make sure I don't end up in tears), to trim only until I'm evened out and then only as needed if damage shows in my ends, and to fight my desire to change my hair color when I get bored or stressed.

I want to grow as long as I can. I realize I've got years to go before I really get there, but I'm ready to enjoy my hair along the way. I bought two pony tail extensions - one is about eight inches long and sleek and one just wraps around my bun to add fullness and wavy ends - they keep me from getting bored while wearing my hair up. I also already have my first 60th street hair fork, even though my baby fine hair doesn't hold it just yet. I still use it as decor with my pony tail holder though.

So that's my story, probably more than you wanted to know ;).

ps- my avatar is my inspiration for long beautiful brunette hair. It keeps me motivated.

ladylibra
May 20th, 2009, 09:04 AM
When I made the decision to stop relaxing my hair and go natural, I chopped it down to 2 inches of new growth. All the years before my hair would not grow past APL, but I liked cutting it into shorter styles so I never worried about it. My original goal was to grow my natural hair back to APL just to see if I could do it, but as I discovered hair boards and saw other women with various textures of long lengths, I figured why not go all out and see just how long I can grow it? :cheese:

FullMoonTrim
May 20th, 2009, 09:16 AM
What made you want to grow your hair to extreme lengths?

I wanted to grow my hair longer than shoulder length...but it was my boyfriend that really encouraged me. For him, long hair (maybe waist length or a bit shorter) is so beautiful. I wanted to see if I could do it. So far, I haven't had any luck and I have been halfheartedly trying for 5 years!!!

I have just been trimming it every 4 months or so and asking for just a slight trim. My hair has been shoulder length for at least 15 years....

Layers around the front. A few long layers in the back. I don't have a preference in the way it looks (for others) but for me, I enjoy being able to soften a look by pulling down some layers (if it's up).

Elbereth
May 20th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Even when my hair was super short, I always thought that one day, I would want it long. And one day, I just realized I wanted to start growing. At the time, my hair was peach fuzz, so it's been a long journey. For the first almost-two years I still visited a salon regularly. That meant slow progress, but on the other hand my hair looked somewhat decent all the time until I could put it up.
At first my idea of "long" was BSL, as I thought my fine hair would probably not grow longer (I had wanted a waist length hair as a child but never got past BSL). Then, at perhaps around shoulder length I thought it would be nice to grow my hair to waist or hip length. Now I am between waist and hip, and though I consider reaching hip a major goal and intend to maintain that length for a while, I plan to eventually grow even longer.

Forever_Sophie
May 20th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I've always liked long hair, but was most inspired by Rosario Dawson's hair in RENT :) I started w/ it shoulder length, then again after chemo.

PhillyGirl1978@
May 20th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I'm not at extreme lengths yet but I'm trying.

I have curly hair that I damaged and straightened for years, I discovered naturallycurly.com and the CurlyGirl book and method back in 2005-2006. I had about shoulder length at the time...I never did a BC cause I can't be short!lol I've always wanted long hair but in never grew. Now that I take care of it it grows fast, I'm past BSL and headed to bellybutton length.

spidermom
May 20th, 2009, 10:05 AM
I've always wanted to grow really long hair, but I'm impulsive and kept being side-tracked into cute cuts, not-so-cute cuts, perms, etc. My grandmother had hip-length braids, and I always had an inner self-concept of being a grandmother with long hair. So when DS and his GF told us they were pregnant, I realized that I had a lot of growing to do because the longest strand of layered hair that I had at the time was 5 inches long. They lost that baby, but now I have a 7-year-old granddaughter who likes it when I wear my hair down and an 11-month-old grandson who hasn't ventured an opinion. Woo-Hoo; I'm a grandmother with long hair.

The first 5 years of growing, I did what my hair stylist suggested (she had gorgeous classic-length hair) and had my hair trimmed every 6-8 weeks. Then I found LHC and began to stretch out the time between trims. The last 10 months, I haven't trimmed at all. I've gotten all my layers caught up, then cut layers again, then got them caught up again. I also cut face-framing fringe and kept it for a couple of years, but that has grown out to longer than shoulder-length now. I like the convenience of being able to get all my hair back and up out of the way, although I've always got shorter fly-aways tickling my face; can't do much about them.

GeoJ
May 20th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Well, I decided to grow my hair long after less-frequent trims than usual let my hair get longer than it had been before, and I realized that if I let it go I could have long hair like Princess Leia from Star Wars. I didn't do anything special- I just let it keep growing with infrequent trims.

At the time it was unlayered, but had growing-out bangs. I have never cut layers since then, only trims or blunt cuts. I did cut bangs when I reached waist, regretted it, and then grew them out for good.

:)

smerrie
May 20th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I had a friend. He literally begged me everyday (as did a lot of other people) to grow out my hair. This went on for about two years until I finally told him that I'd do it. I was only planning on growing out to my shoulders and then cutting it back but then I saw the long hair community on livejournal, fell in love with very long hair, and wanted it for myself. He told me a while ago that he wanted me to grow out to TB, so now I have a constant supporter in my quest for long hair.

I had a Mia Farrow haircut similar to her hair in Rosemary's Baby (it was a great cut too). I've only had it cut once since then. I was growing out the pixie which turned into a mullet and I had my dad cut off the longest layer (which was already to my shoulders, the shortest was to my ears). It wasn't damaged. It's a good thing that I've been practicing benign neglect my whole life pretty much.

Wow what a big change! Every time my hair gets the least bit long, people start commenting on it, and I love that. :) Totally worth growing it out for..

Xandergrammy
I wore my hair very short for many years, after wearing it long in the 70's. I got the Haircut From H$!! (super duper pixie) about a week after I turned 40 (1995) and never put scissors to it again. I never really made a decision to grow it long. It just kind of evolved. :gabigrin:

Fencai
my process started back in 2001- I had gotten out of a bad relationship where my ex didnt like short hair, so as soon as I hooked up with my now DH, he liked short hair, so slowly, my hair went from sitting on top of my shoulders to a pixie.

Then I grew it back out for our wedding in 2005.
From there it just sat on my shoulder (which was the same hair cut I'd had since i was 17).

So, I just decided that I wanted it long again, and to see where it would take me! I missed my braids and the fun things I used to do with it. In June of last year i started growing it back out, and its now BSL!

I do have a few layers sticking around, but they dont bother me. So Im just letting it all grow. its been almost a year since my last trim. (other than the occasional S&D).

I love it!

smerrie
May 20th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Define extreme length please because that varies greatly from person to person.

I just mean "extreme" in the sense that everyone is here trying to get their hair longer! Extreme for each person, whatever that means. :)

helen2806
May 20th, 2009, 10:20 AM
My hair length kind of happened by accident:

when I was younger my mum didn't really want me to have hair longer than shoulder length as I wasn't a very patient child and my thick, wavy hair was difficult to control - so I used to always be given a bob with a thick fringe (which would always curl up and look a total mess anyway!)

then when I was about 16 I let it grow to around APL and decided I liked it longer and that it did suit me, so I hovered around there until I went to uni and it grew to BSL because I never bothered cutting it! I cut it a couple of times since then (2007) but never much shorter than a couple of inches above BSL, and now I've decided to go for waist and see how it looks :)

neon-dream
May 20th, 2009, 10:25 AM
My hair's been longish all my life, but I've only decided in the last 2 or 3 years I want it much longer :flowers:

ecologystudent
May 20th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I cut it off, kept it that way for a year, and then decided to not cut again for 5 years. See, I had this habit of cutting my hair off to a pixie or bob, not touching it with scissors again for 2 to 3 years, and then whacking it all off again. I decided to break the cycle, and I also decided I looked way better with hair.

I didn't have damage, because what ever the length, I never dyed it, blow dried, curled, or did anything beyond washing it.

Eden Iris
May 20th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I had a baby. What with one thing and another, I didn't get to a salon for a year. I had a couple inches of dried out ends (mainly due to using silicone styling product), but nothing spectacularly wrong had happened. My stylist cut it back to APL. I let it go for another year (there was another baby in there somewhere) and never went back. Two days ago I trimmed it myself for the first time in 18 months.

Oh yes, and I got here by following a link on OCM -- nothing to do with hair at all, but then I browsed around a little and looked at all the photos of gorgeous hair and thought, "I wish mine could look like that." I don't know about "extreme" lengths, but the journey is fun.

Sasha_S
May 20th, 2009, 10:55 AM
I never really had long hair, when I was little my hair grew like a weed so I used to play about with it a lot. Long one minute, a bob the next. Most of primary school my hair was in a short crop. I remember when I turned 12 I decided I wanted to grow my hair long, and I did. I'd tried before, and cut it before it got to a decent length, but this time I resolved to leave it, cried at each trim, and got my dyed jet black hair down to BSL (I've put a picture in my blog on here, and in my gallery!).
After a traumatic bust-up I chopped my hair off, and well, it went downhill from there (full story in my blog, it's a long'un!).
I tried growing it out last year, but was always bleaching so it took forever and looked terrible.
I shaved it off in Feb this year and now I've resolved to grow it out for good. I hope I can make it! x

redneckprincess
May 20th, 2009, 10:58 AM
I was using extentions a few years back because I was a hair cut junky, never could turn down a hair cut, or color. About a year ago, My hair became extreamly damaged due to bleach and I had a friends kid who was just graduating cosmo school cut my hair, whooo she went way to short (although I was gonna buzz it the week before had I had the {guts} and I swore then and there I would grow my hair long and never have to use extentions again. ♥

LaurelSpring
May 20th, 2009, 11:44 AM
LHC was my motivation to go for really long hair. Before that I wanted it long but didnt know how to deal with it much past BSL with Layers so I kept cutting it. Plus having the layers meant I needed to curl it every day to look right and I had alot of damage. Once I found LHC and learned how to take care of my hair and saw the beautiful updos and hair here I was hooked.

Masara
May 20th, 2009, 12:03 PM
I'm not sure I'm ever planning for any sort of extreme length, but you never know.

I had waist length (ish - it's only now that I measure and photo, then it was just there. i don't really know how long it was) hair in my twenties and then I had it cut very, very short. I was happy with it for a long while, although I would sometimes have fantasies about being on a desert island for a few years a coming back with long hair.

Then , a few years ago, I found a shampoo and conditioner that made my hair shiny, smooth, bouncy etc and I started dance classes where everybody's hair bounced and swung and mine didn't. Those two things together inspired me to grow it.

At first, I kept going to see my hair dresser but spacing out the visits. This meant that I went from a pixie to a very short bob, but it was a slow process. Then my hairdresser pointed out that if really wanted it to grow, I would have to really stop getting it cut. That was more than 2 years ago. I haven't been back. I don't regret it. It was easier top grow out form a short bob: less layers and no mullet. I still have a couple of inches of damage, that I'm trimming off slowly. The longer my hair is, the lower the proportion that is damaged.

I had layers, that's what happens with pixies. A lot of them were cut off, but I still have some. The difference is very much. I prefer my hair all one length. I always put it in updos, especially braids and it goes up better without layers.

krn2891
May 20th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I've always wanted long hair but my mom would always cut it short when I as growing up. WHen I started having a say in my hairstyle I grew it out to wiast. Unfortantily I had also gotten a perm (never again) so my senior year of high school i cut all the perm of, about 18 inches. Now 8 years later my hair is down to my can I call this TB length and I am going to keep it growing until it stops or until I get sick of the lenght.

jel
May 20th, 2009, 01:17 PM
I had BSL-ish hair in my late teens and early twenties, but when I got my first serious job, I cut my hair into a sharp, short style. I maintained a series of similar cuts (including highlights and dye jobs) for almost fifteen years.

Then one day, I clicked a link on a forum I was idly browsing, and it led me here. It took me all of 30 minutes to decide I wanted long hair again! In addition, I wanted to grow it longer than I ever had it before, to tailbone.

At the time I was sporting a barely shoulder-length, layered cut, and I just let it grow, without trimming. I was just too impatient to reach my goal, I didn't want to lose any length! The layers are now just at the bottom 10" of my hair, giving me a sort of artificial fairytale ends I like, and I'm (almost) at my goal!

Blue Willow
May 20th, 2009, 01:21 PM
For the last 5 years my hair was about midback. Then I got bored with it and shagged it, hated it, but have had to live with growing out all the layers..I'm still growing them out :(. I'd like to grow it to thigh length, but apparently not everyone can:mad: so I'm crossing my fingers and hiding all the scissors around my house:)

Aries_jb
May 20th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Extreme for me right now is healthy BSL. It almost seems too much to hope for!

I've always had hair that was at least APL my whole life. I've always thought I looked better with longer hair anyway so after the shortest cut I've ever had (shoulder length), I decided to stop cutting it. And I did for about 2 years and ended up with BSL hair that was thin, damaged, and dry. I cut it back to just below shoulder, and I hated it.

I found this forum while researching CV shampoo bars and I decided to give BSL another try. Typically my hair looks nice while it grows out, but the ends tend to thin out drastically over time and I end up cutting. My plan now is to wear it up a lot and baby it until I reach BSL, then micro trim until the ends thicken up and maintain from there. The only issue is whether or not my hair can actually do this. We'll see. I'm cheering it on. I believe in it! :)

Maelyssa
May 20th, 2009, 05:49 PM
All those wonderful fantasy movies with long flowing locks, sensual bellydancers & their magickal hair, anime films....they all contribute to my inspiration to go beyond just BSL hair.

I started with a trim to get all the damage off & have just been growing it out since then. I previously had layers that I"m growing out. I do infrequent self-trims but am considering making them more regular.

Themyst
May 20th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I have always wanted long hair. One day, I just decided to actually do it.:)

cynthia.md
May 20th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I have always loved long hair, after a barber I went to for several years made the decision to cut well over a foot of my hair without my consent I decided to grow out my hair.

adventuring
May 20th, 2009, 06:39 PM
I was really just bored. My mother's a hairdresser, and I've had every hair color under the sun from blonde to red to brown to black and everything in between, including blue and pink and purple. But the longest I can remember having my hair was maybe BSL. Even then, I don't really count it. I was about twelve and wouldn't brush it. I wore it up in a bun, but eventually a big rats' nest formed in the back of my head and I had my ma cut it all off.

Needless to say, I'm taking better care of it this time around.

Carrie Ingalls
May 20th, 2009, 06:52 PM

What made me want to grow it? Nothing really. (don’t get mad at me) I never planned or set out to have long hair (my mom never had any long hair plans for me either).

My Mom cuts my brothers and Dad’s hair (and trims mine when ever I ask her to) and she gave me bangs when I was three and shoulder length when I was four and a half. Mostly I just didn’t get it cut (Mom didn’t make me) and it got longer and longer…I guess we just didn’t see a need to cut it.

I really have only trimmed (trim=less than 2 inches) about 5 times in the past 15 years. Now I am S&Ding out what damage there is (some splits and fairy knots) and I plan to do micro trims every month until fall.

I have "one length" with natural layers/taper with a bit of a blunt cut on the bottom. I think I like "one length" with blunt ends.

nicolezoie
May 20th, 2009, 06:56 PM
To be perfectly honest, I never intended to let my hair get as long as it has. IT just did it because it COULD. I just learned how to take care of it along the way.

How'd I start? With a pixie when I was 10, and suddenly discovering that I'd started puberty and felt EXPOSED. Prior to that my hair had been about shoulder length.

How'd I get HERE? Infrequent trimming, dusting to get rid of splits upstream, and genetics. :whistle:

Cinnamon Hair
May 20th, 2009, 10:51 PM

I've always liked long hair. When I was little my BFF had long hair (maybe tailbone?) and I wanted mine to be that long. At that time I was told I shouldn't grow it longer than bra strap length because without a perm my hair was "thin and stringy." :rolleyes: It also had a large hole in the middle back section when I tried to grow it long (probably from bad care, rough detangling, etc). Another inspiration were two mothers in my dance class who had somewhere between knee and floor length hair they wore loose. I thought that was incredible! I'm sure there were other inspirations. I think most little girls want long hair. I was just one of the few who never got the urge to have some trendy cut as they grew up.

I never aimed for knee length hair myself. At first my goal was just to let it grow, which happened when I stopped going to the salon for perms and cuts back in middle school. When I found LHC my hair was around 40" but not in the best of health since I didn't know how to care for it properly and it had not seen a trim in 3+ years. Here is a page (http://classiclength.googlepages.com/longhairjourney.html) that shows my hair history starting when I first found LHC to present.

I decided to cut off some of the damage (over 7" at once) then continue growing with trims once a year.

I have one length hair. No bangs or layers except as it naturally grows. My ends need all the hairs they can get.

daydreamer
May 21st, 2009, 12:24 AM
I had my hair in a short bob most of my adult life. Whenever I would try growing it out, I would get bored at some point and chop it off again! Also colored it a lot and have had many different colors. I did start to miss my childhood hair though, which was BSL length. I also made a mistake of triple-dying my hair, and wanted my natural color back -- which of course involves growing it out.
I stumbled upon LHC when I was looking at alternative washing methods for hair (like baking soda and such), and felt really inspired by all the long hair here. I suppose it rekindled a desire to have princess hair! When I found LHC it was a bit below shoulder length, and now 1 1/2 years later it is at hip. I have achieved this by learning how to properly care for it and of course *not cutting it*. I do S&D and the very rare occasional dusting. I have one layer of old fringe that is at BSL currently -- eventually it will be trimmed to all one length since my old dye damage is a little past APL also. But I won't be trimming it off for a good while.... thought I would do it at waist but I can't bear the thought, heheh. Hopefully it will make it to Classic before I do the gradual trimming off of damage.

Cricket1
May 21st, 2009, 12:25 AM
I have decided to grow my hair out simply because the last time that my hair was long enough to touch my shoulders was 7 years ago, at the beginning of 9th grade. Since then it's been bobs and pixie cuts. Although I have had some super cute cuts, i am just sick of having short hair. No matter how cute it looks, I always end up feeling like a guy. Also, there is the issue of only being able to do one thing with a short cut: brush it and leave the house. with long hair you can wear it differently every day. oh! and finding this forum sure did help! inspires me to not get bored and chop it all off.
honestly, i will consider my hair super long when it reaches my shoulder blades.
now all i have to do is sit on my @$$ till it grows! not that difficult :lol:

eadwine
May 21st, 2009, 12:26 AM
One length, need to cut it a bit more U shape, but anyways..

I simply started growing, didn't do anything special really. I just wanted to have really long hair for once in my life and I figured that was easy enough.

I HAD been growing out damage for years though, so I could start out healthy and without doing anything special to it.

Dars
May 21st, 2009, 12:56 AM
For most of my life I had short hair. My dad always wanted my hair to be boy short, and it was. When I was 12 I decided I wanted to grow my hair out, so it grew. My mum cut my hair until I was 15. I became influenced by my peers and media that I needed a "style". I went to the hairdresser for the first time for a cut. I got layers and lost length.

I was in a phase of hair colouring, straightening and eventually going shorter and shorter. During the final year of highschool, I was growing out my hair for formal. When that was over I got a pixie for my 18th. Shortly after I decided to grow my hair out for real this time, because of a planned trip to my home country (this year!!).

I had my last professional cut in November for my 20th and I was devastated to see how much length my hairdresser had cut off even though I stated I was growing my hair out (and it was in healthy condition). I found LHC and now I never wish to go back to the hairdresser, I'm finally seeing real length after two and half years of growing it out but getting cut back short in the process. Now I'm S&D'ing regularly.

I have layers, and I'm sitting on the fence about them. I'm leaning towards getting rid of them. I'd love to see an even thick hemline again, that I had when I was 15.

Aditi
May 21st, 2009, 01:09 AM
I was browsing through internet searching for hair care tips, at that time my hair was nearly APL. I found LHC through google read the forums saw wonderful long hair photos of the members and that motivated me to grow my hair longer. I did not cut my hair or anything i just started growing it from APL and now i have reached Waist length and my extreme length is TB.

tiamimi
May 21st, 2009, 01:19 AM
I'm another case of Mom made me keep my hair short when I was a child and now I'm going to grow it out as long as I can.

Right now I don't have much damage to my hair since I did a two or three inch cut in December so I can pretty much let nature take it's course.

I have growing out bangs and the back is in a reverse "V" shape so it's not all one length but not technically layered either. Clear as mud right?

JamieLeigh
May 21st, 2009, 04:13 PM

I can't remember having hair above the BSL line, I was really really young then. I just remember hating my mom trimming my hair, and after the disastrous perm she gave up as well. So then I just left it alone and it got to nearly knee length. After a good chop, I let it grow back to tailbone and maintained it there to grow my fringe out with the rest of my hair. And now I'm aiming for extreme again, and am back at classic length. (for the second time this year, LOL :pinktongue: ) Mostly I just love the look and feel of long, silky hair. I've never had layers cut in, but I feel like when I was growing out that fringe, I had the next best thing to it. (i.e., having hair the length of my armpit when the rest was nearly classic length. *shudders*) I would definitely have to say I like having it all one length best.

zen_oven
May 21st, 2009, 08:52 PM
Honestly, I don't really know. I guess I just got tired of short haircuts that never "felt" right. I realized that long hair just looked better on me and that I felt more feminine with it. So a year ago I got one final haircut and haven't looked back. That was May 6th of 2008, and I still haven't cut except to get my fringe trimmed (I also look better with some fringe). I'm coming up on my 1 year anniversary with LHC and am very close to hitting BSL.

silver curls
August 9th, 2013, 12:24 PM

I have always wanted really long hair but it was never healthy. So, I quit dyeing my hair, gradually trimming off the dyed hair. Now its all natural. I'm growing out the layers currently. I'm 19 months dye free. I am currently curlygirl, so I may keep the layers...

jacqueline101
August 9th, 2013, 12:33 PM
I had bsl to mid back in the past and I missed it. I also think tbl would look good on me.

clarixa
August 9th, 2013, 12:40 PM
I decided to start growing out my hair after a really bad layered haircut I hated two years ago. I slowly cut off damage as it grew but I didn't really take care of my hair until around this time last year. Three months ago I cut off most of the layers, but I still have a nice u-hemline with a few layers. It's past waist-length and my goal is classic!

SongofLove
August 9th, 2013, 01:00 PM
I had long hair (waist length) as a little girl, but I didn't like to take care of it, so when I was about 8 my mom cut my hair into a bob and I loved it. I admired my mom's long hair but I didn't have the patience.

When I was 16 I wanted to grow my hair out, but because I was watching the growth too closely and because my hair was all one length, I grew too impatient and decided to try another haircut that I admired--the buzz cut (my dad and brother always sported short buzz cuts and I thought it looked so cool). So I wore my hair in a nearly bald buzz cut for a year or so and loved it --so carefree and great for swimming!

At some point I just got tired of having to get my head shaved all the time, so my hair grew awkwardly from lack of cutting and then I got a nice layered cut.

After that cut I just ignored my hair again (I was super busy with college at this point) and it grew to APL. At this point I had a teacher who always wore her hair up and I thought it looked so elegant, so I bought a bunch of pretty hair clips from Chinatown and started wearing my hair up too.

At BSL my hair was too heavy for claw clips so I started wearing my hair down a lot (ponytails give me a headache, I didn't know how to bun, and I thought my hair was too short for braiding though it wasn't). I wasn't taking great care of my hair and I was also trimming a lot at time whenever I got haircuts (like 3 or 4 inches), but somehow found myself at waist length. That's when I found the Long Hair Loom and this forum, and started to learn more about proper hair care (luckily I already knew some things from my long-haired mom about avoiding damage, like combing bottom to top).

My 1st goal was tailbone though I was not sure I really wanted that length because a lot of folks said that tailbone was the length where it gets significantly harder to care for. When I reached tailbone I found that for my hair it was not much more fuss than waist length, so I decided to keep growing. I really love caring for my hair now as it's quite relaxing for me, so I'm going to have long hair as long as I am able :)

Tails
August 9th, 2013, 01:04 PM
When I was nine I had a bad experience with (what used to be) my hairdresser. I had just started to get long hair, it was at my shoulderblades and I just wanted a little trim. She started talking about how great hair I had and that it was hair like mine that was the best to use when making wigs. And then she cut it, just below my ears, and gathered my cut-of hair, probably to sell it. I cried and cried and my mother was furious. Since then, mom is the only one that is allowed to cut my hair (grandmother is the only exception to the rule, she has done it a handful of times). So, I started growing my hair at age nine as revenge on my hairdresser. When I was twelve my bangs had grown to my shoulderblades and so mom cut the rest of the hair to that length. Now it's approaching classic and I love having it long!

neko_kawaii
August 9th, 2013, 01:08 PM
It must have began in my mother's womb, because pictures of me as an infant all have a shocking amount of black hair. I have always done what I wanted with my hair and currently I want to find out just how long it can grow.

Vrindi
August 9th, 2013, 02:19 PM
I took my waist-length, virgin, layered hair on a trip around the world. Due to stress, different conditions and products, and diet, my hair suffered and looked horrible when I got back. I cut it off to APL and cried. Then stopped crying and decided to grow it out blunt. When I moved to the desert, the climate forced me to change my routine. That, and I got stupid and decided to bleach my hair. It looked great for the first 2 weeks, then went brassy, and I saw the splits begin. So I had to do some serious research to find out how to save my hair, deal with this harsh climate, and not have to chop it again. That brought me here. I'm at BCL now heading toward tailbone or classic. I have a slight ombre from dying my bleached hair back to almost natural color. Virgin roots to my shoulders.

nobeltonya
August 9th, 2013, 02:38 PM

I actually hadn't intended on going this far.. nor did I think it'd get this long, or that I' be able to manage it so well. :)

By the time I decided to start growing, it was all about shoulder-length. And I just stopped cutting it. Partly b/c I was tired of paying for a salon cut every 4-6 weeks to maintain shorter styles, and partly just out of curiosity. At first, I was cutting maybe once or twice a year, maybe an inch at a time. As it got longer, until about waist, I'd trim every 9-10 weeks. As it gets longer, and I aim for a nice, thick blunt hemline, I dust the ends every 2 weeks or so.

I started all one length. Now the front "bang" pieces are behind, at hip, but everything else is passing Classic. :) And I prefer it all one length. :disco:

gus
August 9th, 2013, 02:47 PM
It sounds kind of weird, but my long hair is part of a mourning process for me. My mother always had very short hair because it was very curly and she hated it as a child - for most of her adult life she had it in a pixie cut. When she underwent chemotherapy in 2008 I got all my hair cut off too (it had been about waist-length at the time), partially as a dare, since she told me I didn't have the guts to get it cut that short (I'm like Marty McFly - someone calls me "chicken" and I do whatever it takes to prove I'm not!).

Later on, she confessed to me that she really missed my long hair because she thought mine was so pretty (I inherited my dad's hair - thick and wavy but not super curly), and when I was little and had hair down to my knees (I don't remember it, but there's photographic evidence!) I used to run around pretending I was a princess. So I started growing it out again, and she seemed to really approve (although she laughed a lot when I used curlers and woke up the next morning with "poodle-head").

When she passed away in 2010, I just... kept growing it. I think it would've made her happy to have her daughter running around with "princess hair" again. And between you and me, that pixie cut looked TERRIBLE on me!

Flournoy
August 9th, 2013, 11:55 PM
Extreme length is different for a guy, but I wanted long hair for two big reasons. First I just wanted a ponytail since I was little and saw tommy on power rangers and that just stuck with me I guess. Also i played lacrosse in high school and thought I would look cool to have long hair coming out hte back of my helmet called "flow". I have some awesome flow now, though I dont really play anymore.

Robot Ninja
August 10th, 2013, 09:57 AM
I've always wanted long hair, at least classic, but I didn't think I could have it. I always had to cut back around waist because the ends started getting gross. Then I found LHC and stopped doing a lot of the things that were making them gross.

Killahkurlz
August 10th, 2013, 10:45 AM
I had been getting relaxers to straighten my hair since before I can remember. I took over the task from my mom when I went away to college. fast forward to January 2011, my hair is NL, fried and dyed, and I just wanted longer, healthier hair so I googled healthy relaxer. well, I found that there was no such thing but I also found a lot of hair communities that taught about how to care for natural hair so needless to say I went for it and decided to stop relaxing my hair. as my hair started to grow and the natural texture started getting longer, or should I say higher, I started getting negative feed back from mostly family. so after about five months I cut off the chemically changed hairby myself, in my room with the door closed and hid myself from my mom until the next day. I had about 5-6 inches of hair which resulted in a teeny weeny afro and I've been growing since then, chemical free.

~honeyflower~
August 10th, 2013, 01:28 PM
When I was a little girl, I had the bowl haircut until I was 4 when I decided I wanted waist. So then, in first grade I had waist length but it never really occurred to me I had long hair. Jr. High came and I began to experiment with my hair, I had it cut shorter and had highlights put in I thought I looked good with highlights but looking at my pictures now...not so much. High school came and I wanted to look different, thanks to Twilight I returned back to my dark brown because dark hair was "in" so that was the end of highlighting and the beginning of perming. I always wanted curls and the curling iron never did justice so I looked to perms to get my dream curls :crush: but my hair laughed at the attempt and :magic: my hair went back to straight in less than four days :justy: so that was the end of that. Finally I found LHC and I just accepted my hair is. Sometimes my curly hair dreams come back to tempt me but I have been good. Instead, I bake cookies and look away when my sister's friend comes over... with all her blond curly crown of hair :lala: so I'm mutely in a race with my sister to see who's hair can get to tailbone first.

sunflowersmiles
August 10th, 2013, 03:06 PM
I had waist length hair until I was 10, at which point my mom took me to the salon and they cut it to shoulder length. From there on out it just kept getting shorter and shorter, with a perm somewhere in there. I hated my hair with a passion, but no one ever encouraged me to grow out my hair. They just suggested new ways to cut my hair. My freshman year of high school it was a longish pixie. I started growing it out at that point because I noticed that guys never asked girls with short hair out, or at least that is what it felt like at the time. On top of that my Aunt who is a beautician basically told me I would never have the patience for long hair. Guess who I proved wrong? Although my hair is quite color and heat damaged right now, I have managed to grow it to waist without much trouble at all. Now that I know more about my hair I am ready to keep growing to longer lengths. I love the way it feels to have my hair brush against my waist. I also really enjoy all of the ways I can braid and bun my hair. One day I hope to sit on my hair!

battles
August 10th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Spur of the moment decision. Really. Never gave a damn about hair before that. Long hair was hair, short hair was hair. Whatever. :p

Kept hair short purposely until 2010. One day battles had the random thought, "Oh! Hey, it might be neat to have really, really long hair. :hmm:"

Still growin'.

teddygirl
August 10th, 2013, 03:18 PM
I've had bsl length hair for most of my youth/young adult life, but started watching a lot of reality tv and they all have beautiful long hair (extensions)
I just love it. (http://www.dialoguetix.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/kim-kardashian-long-hair-49cnrrp9.jpg)

Silver Sister
August 10th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Earlier this year, I got cancer and had major surgery. Luckily, no chemo was needed, but I was physically devastated by the surgery. Additionally, my internal thermostat has been smashed (major menopause) and I'm a hot mess at least once per hour.

DH has been wanting me to let my silver grow out and I was sick of regular attendance at the hair dressers. So, I took a more healthful approach to life, am eating better, stopped demi-coloring, stopped cutting, and let the silver shine. Turns out, I love the silver color (and longer length) as it's a much better look! The updo's are more flattering and cooler during the hourly "power surges".

Anabell
August 10th, 2013, 04:08 PM
My boredom. The fact that I can't do with it anything besides wear it down or in a ponytail. I also realized that I had one of the shortest haircuts in the class back then.

I just stop to cut the length. At first I go to the hairdresser to refresh the layers (she didn't touch the length). Then, for almost five years I
barely touched it. I still cut off the last layer. Can't call it damage, it just not the hemline I prefer.

​I have two last layers. Once I will chop the do last one it will be all one length, which I prefer for now. I do monthly trims to gradually cut this layer.

chen bao jun
August 11th, 2013, 08:13 PM
[QUOTE=Anabell;2490550]What made you want to grow your hair to extreme lengths?
[COLOR=#008000]
My granny had hair she could sit on. I never thought my hair could grow there. Then I saw the ladies on LHC when I was googling around about how to get rid of mechanical damage I had and decided to try to get at least to brastrap length, stretched. I got there in one year so feel encouraged to go further.

[COLOR=#008000]
I tried a lot of different things to moisturize my hair. I have had natural hair since 2001, but since I had no idea how to moisturize, or even how to wash properly, it was dry, and tangly with breaking ends, although I did not realize that. I thought I was at terminal. I got my hair to feel nicer and then decided to try putting it up. It started growing like a weed, so I kept it up all winter and was encouraged by how very fast I was reaching my micro-goals.

[COLOR=#008000]​I don't exactly have layers but the top of my hair is shorter than the bottom. this is because the little I did know about moisturizing and conditioning all happened on top, to the canopy. I have very thick and was never conditioning the bottom, though not on purpose. When I started conditioning the bottom, it turned out it was much longer that it looked (because of being shrunk up and dry, no moisture) and that my hair was not even. I much prefer one length of hair but have preferred not to do any serious cutting at this time. I basically cut off my ssks and that's it--when I reach more of my hair length goals, I'll think about trimming and cutting.

Haybop
August 12th, 2013, 12:20 AM
Hmmm, let's see....

I'd had short hair (short bob or shorter) since I was 7 and then started growing it at 16 from a pixie. I got to a bob length and kept it like that for a while. Then I dyed it blonde (because every student has to when they're BFFs with a hairdresser don'tcha know ;D) when I was 20/21. When I left Belfast no longer had a cheap hairdresser to keep up with the roots so I grew them out a couple of inches then had all the blonde cut off which took me back to short pixie. I then grew to and stayed at a bob for a while, decided to go dark red and then cut it all off.

I'd always wanted to see what it'd be like to have gorgeous long flowing locks but couldn't break out of the short hair habit I had, especially with everyone saying how short hair was so much prettier on people. I decided to go long after a disastrous haircut October '11 (two inches taken off when I didn't want it) and I decided to forgo hairdressers for a long time (even us short haired folk cry over the loss of too much hair). As I was growing from pixie I did have the mullet issue which needed sorting out but other than that I just grew it and waited until it was a long-ish mullet before getting it trimmed into a shape. That led me to start wondering what it'd be like to have long hair and start looking around and considering it.

I prefer one length for growing as layers would currently be an issue for keeping my hair back.

erinlesley09
August 12th, 2013, 08:11 AM
My hair has been around shoulder length for the last 12+ years, layered and not layered, with bangs. After deciding to grow out my bangs, and trimming my hair shorter for this summer (and giving myself layers again), I decided I wanted longer hair again. I'm on my way to APL for the time being, but I might go longer once my bangs are caught up.

FuzzyBlackWaves
August 12th, 2013, 01:50 PM

I didn't used to take care of myself properly. I was always too busy running around after other people - I just didn't give myself the time of the day. Then, after a big change (and trauma) in my life, I realized that if I can't make myself happy and look after myself then how could I hope to help other people, or for them to help me? Growing out my hair is a symbol to me about being healthier, extending myself and my horizons, establishing who I've always been instead of trying to be somebody else or someone new. Also, I look much better with long hair than short, and I like to use it as a scarf in the winter.

I decided to grow my hair out shortly after getting it cut to just below shoulder length from BSL. I've been trimming and S and Ding along the way since then.

I was already growing out my layers when I got it cut. I prefer one solid length, although I do have two short layers on either side of my fringe, to integrate it.

twinklingbell
August 15th, 2013, 04:13 PM
I've almost always wanted long hair. But my biggest inspiration was a few girls in my school who had long hair (waist, hip, and classic length), and the beautiful paintings from my art books where so many women had beautiful ethereal long hair... :thud: So I started growing last summer, one year and one month ago, at barely bsl. I've just reached waist last month and will continue to classic. I did not chop my hair when I started growing, because all I wanted was longer hair lol. I had a mostly solid blunt hemline, as I have now, (I'm still learning how to self trim an even hemline.) I like all hemline styles though.
I've learned a lot from LHC, and I'm still learning. Still experimenting with products, and I haven't tried half of the things that people here use yet, like coconut oil, white vinegar, deep conditionings... But I will because I'm trying to take my hair care to the next level in order to make it to tailbone by this time next year! :)

ebullience
August 15th, 2013, 07:49 PM

After five years of wearing hair extensions and having short and damaged hair, I realised that if I'd just let my hair grow without interference I wouldn't need the extensions in the first place and my hair would be much healthier! My sister also has amazing waist length long hair which I've been very jealous of for some time.

My hair was already quite short so I didn't cut it any further, and since I've started growing it out (since January this year) I've tried to stay away from the scissors as much as possible other than S&D (I try not to do this very often - given that I've had trich for the last six years I've been trying to avoid anything that requires me to look at my hair too much).

Did you have layers, or one solid length? And which do you prefer

Right now I have one solid length and that is what I prefer for now. I have a horror experience from a hairdresser who chopped off my hair to cut layers into it when I was a teenager - the result was nothing like I thought (because of course I assumed that my hair would look exactly like it would from the magazines :o). I may reconsider and get layers down the line, but for now I want to get as much length as possible.

QuillEnchanted
August 15th, 2013, 10:04 PM
A mix of curiosity and avoidance. I don't like people touching me, so going to a hairdresser is a lot like torture. Regarding the curiosity, I love braids and was curious about some of the more complex ones for long hair. I am also curious to see how long I can grow my hair, and what it will look like at Classic length.

I didn't get a cut with growing in mind. After years of going for an annual hair cut at the start of summer, I decided I'd rather have longer braidable hair instead of awkward half-way-between-shoulder-and-APL hair that I couldn't do anything with. Turns out a braid or bun is a lot less annoying than 'short' hair that sticks to your neck. Since then I've been trying to take care of my hair and letting it do its own thing. That said, I can count on one hand the number of times I have heat-styled my hair ever [four], I haven't used a blowdryer since I was ten, and I have never dyed or coloured my hair ever, so there wasn't a whole ton of damage to start with.

I never got layers intentionally cut, but my new growth tends to look like layers. The last time I had it cut [two years ago?], it was 'angled' so the bits by my face were shorter and it was relatively straight across the back. I never really did anything beyond that, just let it grow from there. I prefer my hair at one length, definitely. It makes it easier to braid!

Maybe
August 15th, 2013, 10:19 PM
I had heavily layered APL hair that I flatironed everyday for years and years.
It started looking unhealthy at the ends and I decided to stop straightening. I experimented with wearing it up, since I didn't know how to make it look good wurly, and then decided I need *much* longer hair to do the buns I'd like.

Alas, that was a year ago and I am at top-of-BSL because I have been trimming off damage and layers.

BlazingHeart
August 16th, 2013, 12:09 AM
Since my early teens, it has been my habit to alternate between cutting my hair short (above shoulder length) and then letting it grow long (waist-hip length), when I get tired of long hair and cut it again.

The last time I cut my hair was about 3 years and about 3 months ago. I had cut it into a cheekbone length sorta-bob style, and then I just let it grow out. There were definitely some awkward stages, but I didn't want to cut out the unevenness and spend more time at that length. I've just let it grow. 2 years and 3 months ago, I was looking for styling ideas for my then almost-waist hair, and after poking around, I got curious about what terminal length would be for my hair. My longest bits are now at classic; I am contemplating cutting a couple inches off to even out the bottom a bit. The way my hair has grown out has given me a kind of U-shaped hemline. I don't have real strong feelings in any direction on what hemline I'd prefer, but this one DOES make braiding annoying, as my center section becomes WAY thicker than the others near the end of the braid, and I end up with a long tassel because I run out in the other sections. I'm very lucky in that I basically never get split ends (like, over a lifetime of not taking particularly good care of my hair, I could count on one hand the times I've found them), so I haven't done any trimming or cutting at all since my hair was cheekbone length. That reminds me, I really should do my much-belated 2 year anniversary post. Maybe if I have the energy tomorrow after I go visit the vampires (I need blood tests run).

~Blaze

Edit: Oop, apparently that should be 4 years. I'm now totally not certain, but I think the last time I cut my hair was the summer I got my service dog, which was definitely 4 years ago.

Paraply
August 16th, 2013, 12:34 AM
My hair has gone throught a lot during my teenage years... Four years ago, when I was fifteen years old, I decided to dye my hair hot red and cut myself bangs/fringe and layered chin lenght. Before that I had BSL permed hair with my natural color.

Dyeing was such a bad idea, because I had a major allergic reaction!! My scalp was grazy itchy and it produced a lot dandruff, which it hasn't ever done. I also shed hugely :( I met a doctor and he advised to stay far from hairdyes and I have nothing else to do than wait for recovery and moisture my scalp.

This made me realise to keep my scalp and hair in good condition and to avoid all kinds of harsh chemicals. Since then I've grown my hair (four years now) and my hair is now WL and in good condition :) I'll continue growing, because I've gone this far and goal (TBL) is not far away :)

SoftCurlyHair
August 16th, 2013, 01:23 AM
One of many reasons: after helping someone else ( via research ) to grow their hair long embarked on a similar journey a few years later.

Mayihuan
August 16th, 2013, 03:43 AM
I've had my hair anywhere between chin- and shoulder-length, and layered and chemically highlighted, until about three 1/2 years ago, when I decided to grow it from chin & layered to as-long-as-it-can-get. :) That's also about the time I stopped the dyes, though I did get layers at my annual trip to the hairdresser's twice thereafter.

Initially I just wanted longer hair for the wedding, to have hopefully enough length for a nice updo. That worked out well, though it was only a little beyond shoulder-length.

Once that milestone was past, I decided I rather liked having longer hair again, especially since discovering cassia and its wonderful effect regarding volume/body, ditching SLS for shampoo bars, finding my hair overall healthier than it had ever been when I'd had it shoulder-length before... and so I've just kept growing it. :)

sofo
August 16th, 2013, 03:47 AM
I've had my hair short above shoulder and then really short in a pixie for many years. I decided its to much work and thought long hair would be easier... Maybe not, but at least I don't have to visit the hairdresser every month to hear my hair is dry. I've always given up on my hair at about shoulder length and had it in almost every color that exists. Now I'm growing it out natural.

Leeloo
August 16th, 2013, 12:14 PM
I was looking for a natural shampoo and conditioner alternatives/recipes when I came across LHC. I realized how many things I was doing to damage my hair.

BreeTheBoss
August 16th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Well in middle school I had the choice to express myself through clothes so thats what i focused on. (even though i look back i had horrible fashion sense)
But when I moved into a different district, with a uniform, i had no idea what id so.
So...my hair became my clothes. I wanted it to look healthy and beautiful, and did start taking more care of it. But the beginning of this summer, I really really started getting into the whole hair care stuff and pretty much obsess over it. This time next year ill be W/TBL!

OrangeLove
August 16th, 2013, 10:03 PM
I am not a long hair, but I'm at a little past shoulder length. I have been growing for 7 years. I kept cutting it for different reasons, until about 3 years ago it got pretty long, a little shorter than waist length. Then I cut much of It off in 2011. It started to get long again (I was working out/dancing a lot that year) and in late 2011 I cut the top layer off in a short, emo style! Ever since, I've been growing It back out. I gave it a good cut to remove damage last thanksgiving time and here we are. I plan to not trim it, since it's In layers, and I have already attempted to get a good trim from stylists. Now I imagine what it will be like In a year, and two years.! Exciting!

alexis917
August 16th, 2013, 10:19 PM
I just love my hair longer!
I like being able to show people how healthy I am, and how well I care for it.

MintChocChip
August 17th, 2013, 04:12 AM
A few things spurred me on to try and grow longer hair.

- I've never had long hair (not past APL before LHC) and I wanted to see what it looked like and whether I liked it.

- I came to the conclusion after having my hair shoulder length for several years, that I don't like my hair shorter. I don't think it suits me, and I feel it makes me look about 12.

- I used to dye my hair a lot, not trim for years at a time and use a lot of my hairdryer which resulted in exceptionally dry, damaged hair. I hated my hair so much that I resolved to have nicer hair. I took better care of my hair, and began to like the shine and for some reason longer hair went hand in hand with my search for healthier hair.

- And lastly, I fell in love with certain actresses who had long, natural hair. No extensions, no wigs, all their own lovely hair. Karen Gillan is the big one. Katie McGrath, although not natural as such (dyeing it, straightening it) it's all her own hair and beautiful. Bonnie Wright in her long hair phrase didn't help matters. And so the long hair quest began.