PDA

View Full Version : Halo of fuzz

Ella Menneau P.
May 20th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Up until I found this board I hadn't really paid a whole lot of attention to my hair: I (over) washed it, (under) conditioned it, stuck it in a braid or a simple bun and forgot about it.

But now, having read an unimaginable amount of information here, I realize I have been doing things that are damaging, and I'm trying to figure out just what is causing my problems.

For the most part, my hair is all one length, somewhere between BSL and Waist. It's thick and healthy, but the outer layer is, well, layered. It's only apparent after I have had my hair up all for a few hours, or if it's humid, and then I have these fly-away lengths that range from less than an inch to almost 8 inches all over my head.

I rarely wear ponytail holders, and the ones I have are metal free. I am a restless sleeper, and I suspect that much of this damage is from rolling my head around on the pillow (I sleep with a braid). I don't wear hats or anything else that would cause friction with the top layer of my hair, and I don't even own any products other than 'poo/conditioner/jojoba.

So--silk pillowcase/cap to prevent more damage... but how can I keep the fuzzy halo effect settled down for the day? I am absolutely ignorant about products.

Fencai
May 20th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Sometimes a light oiling (and I do mean LIGHT) can help this.
I occasionally put in some of my homemade "Fox's Shea Butter Conditioner" that I made and that helps too.

Sounds like some of what you have is baby hairs growing, not damage. We all (or most of us) seem to have that.

You can also try a sleep cap to help at night too. That's when I find I do the most damage to myself, is when Im sleeping. Im a pillow masher.

AutumnLeaves
May 20th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Ella, I just have to tell you that I love your screen name. I'm wondering if those shorter "layers" aren't various stages of new growth hairs and not necessarily broken hairs? Just a thought...

ravenreed
May 20th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I always have new hairs growing in that seem to defy gravity until long enough to pull back in a bun or pony. Since I went CO, they don't halo quite as much, and act better behaved.

Ella Menneau P.
May 20th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I think I'll really inspect to see if they look broken or are just growing...other than having split ends, is there anything I should look for?

Christina
May 20th, 2009, 01:45 PM
About a month after I started taking vitamins again, I noticed a big difference in those little hairs - especially around my hairline and my part where they don't have longer hairs to hold them down. I also worried that they were from breakage before realizing they were new growth "baby hairs" :D

I try not to worry about them too much. More than likely, we notice these little things far more than anyone else does.
If it bothers me more than usual, I just wet my hands with a little water and try to smooth them into place. A temporary fix, but it makes me "feel" a little more put together. :p

spidermom
May 20th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Look out for blunt-looking or especially ragged-looking ends. The end of a healthy new hair will have a gentle taper to a point. Broken-off hairs won't.

There is no way you will ever have hair all one length because every single day a longer hair sheds out and a brand new hair grows in. So you're always going to have hairs of every length. I use Natures Gate Styling Putty to get my shorties to lay down; it works well, but it's soft enough that I can comb through it later. Other similar products that I've used were too gluey.

Darscilla
May 20th, 2009, 03:37 PM
:waving: We have the same hairtype and the same problem! Though I don't actually see it as a problem, because they are baby hairs... and toddler hairs... and kiddy hairs... and teenage hairs... :lol: All new growth, so rejoice! They'll be all grown up one day ;) In the meantime, a light oiling, a bit of coney serum, or a dab of aloe vera gel may help discipline them. Coconut oil works best for me.

rose_in_bloom
May 20th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I have the same thing, and I'm pretty sure mine has to do with new growth, since I had a major shed a couple months ago. So I'm not going to worry about it unless I start seeing split ends. These things help me to control my halo:

-Be sure to use plenty of conditioner on the halo ends. This helps them to stay down.
-Try a light oiling or a bit of aloe gel (or both).
-Spray on a little detangler (or Kimberlily's defrizz stuff) before combing out your hair, as I find that my halo fuzz tends to be more tangled than the rest of my hair.

Hope you find something that works for you! :)

Ella Menneau P.
May 20th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Thanks all! And Spidermom, your hair is awesomely awesome! *sigh* someday!.......:D