PDA

View Full Version : 2 funny family reactions to share

lyneya
April 7th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Funny thing #1. I just recently found out that I married the one man on earth that doesn't love long hair. :P He doesn't like it super short on me -- reminders of the dread-ex. But just finally confessed what I've suspected for a while...now that my hair is hitting longer than is normal for around here...he prefers it would be a few inches shorter. Not planning on cutting it any time soon, and he's not asking me to...but good to know that when I get to my goal, and am ready for a change, he won't mourn my long hair. Looks like BSL is his ideal. :) I don't know yet what is my ideal. Need to give it another year or two.

And Funny thing #2. We've been teaching our toddler sign-language for fun. He only uses a few signs regularly and only says a handful of words, but is pretty good at getting his meaning across. This morning, he followed me into the bathroom while I was getting ready. He signed "brush" at me indicating that he wanted to look at my hairbrush that he knew was up on the counter since he'd seen me use it. He tends to use "brush" for lots of things, including furry animals. So to make his meaning 100% clear, after the normal sign for "brush" he modified the sign to indicate brushing long hair--he wanted Mommy's brush. Needless to say, he received the brush...and proceded to brush the cat with it. Sigh. (Luckilly he used the smooth back to brush the cat!)

happylynngilmer
April 7th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Needless to say, he received the brush...and proceded to brush the cat with it. Sigh. (Luckilly he used the smooth back to brush the cat!)

Aw! That's too cute :}

suicides_eve
April 7th, 2008, 03:00 PM
lol cute story

coppercurls
April 7th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Kids are great huh?:)

sapphire-o
April 7th, 2008, 04:32 PM
My little one wants to brush his stuffed animals all the time, too. Luckily I have various pre-LHC hair unfriendly brushes he can use for whatever reason. :D Nobody's allowed to touch my favorite combs and brush.

Too bad you DH doesn't like very long hair. I think you just need to brainwash him. Show him pictures and videos of women with very long hair, talk about very long hair. Get him to join LHC. Eventually he would start to think your hair is not long enough and might even want to grow a bit of his own hair. :D

lyneya
April 8th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Too bad you DH doesn't like very long hair. I think you just need to brainwash him. Show him pictures and videos of women with very long hair, talk about very long hair. Get him to join LHC. Eventually he would start to think your hair is not long enough and might even want to grow a bit of his own hair. :D

I think he doesn't like living with it. It's not that he doesn't think it's pretty on other people. Plus I'm a pretty low-maintenance girl...this enhances it. Mine is not the perfect, smooth straight kind of hair. It's the wavy, looks messy easilly kind and mostly I can't be bothered, so it's in a scrunchy bun at the base of my neck. Very chic, lemme tell you!

But, he'll never ask me to cut it. I just finally got him to confess his preferences. I had BSL when we got married, and shortly afterwards cut it to about chin-length and he LOVED it. So I think he's about it having a little bit of style and not being too inconvenient. :P

As for the 15 month old...he likes to use me like Rapunzel if I don't pull it back!

lora410
April 8th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Thats really great you are teaching him sign. I regret not teaching my DD when she was that age. It definetly makes them less frustrated when they want something!!

FrannyG
April 8th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I love the story about your little one, not only because it's so cute, but that you're teaching him sign language. That's just wonderful!

As for DH, he'll soon learn to appreciate that the fact that your hair is different from everyone else is a good thing, I'm sure.

lyneya
April 8th, 2008, 07:57 AM
The signing is fun. He's not great at it, but he has tools when he needs them. His favorite sign is actually "signing time" -- the name of the dvd series we watch with him to help teach the whole family to sign! :) I don't know if we'll keep it up as he gets more verbal, but he adores the series (we copy them from the library), and we like learning it ourselves, so I think at least some will continue as he grows up. Plus it's getting pretty trendy, so lots of kids will know a little bit as they grow up. Should be fun.

As for DH, the long hair goes with our mutual hobby. :) He like the medieval thing, I want to have the hair that goes with it. It's still too short right now.

CalamityCupcake
April 28th, 2008, 03:07 PM
My current boyfriend has been the only one who didn't cringe when I expressed my love of long locks.

He was really supportive! ;O Even offered to help brush it.

Eireann
April 28th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I had the opposite experience with my DH. I always knew he preferred long hair on me, but I thought that meant APL to BSL, which is where I've pretty much kept it for the past couple of years (ever since I saw the look on his face after I chopped it to above the shoulders.) One day, we were watching some movie from the 60's where all the women had giant bouffant hairsprayed hair. I said "aren't you glad we don't live in the 60s?" And he said "if we did, you could be a hippy with hair down to your b*tt!" I didn't take the hint right away, until another time when he made a similar comment about having hair down to my b*tt. That time, I finally got the message and have been growing my hair out since, with a goal of tailbone length (the polite way of saying "b*tt".) Then, recently I saw a woman with hair down to her knees at the grocery store, and I told him about it, and his face lit up!! All these years, and I had no idea he dug extreme long hair! Anyway, I'm having fun with it. I think I'll start with tailbone, and if I like it, keep it growing! It's especially fun to come here and obsess about hair products and learn all these new treatments! I can't wait until it's long enough for hairsticks! (I already have a particularly lovely pair saved in my Amazon shopping cart!)

BrownieLocks
July 1st, 2008, 02:22 AM
I've actually met a lot of men who don't like long hair...well...maybe they like long hair...but not REALLY long hair :P. That's so cute that he brushed the cat with the smooth side of the brush!

morgwn
July 1st, 2008, 02:52 AM
I have to say that one thing I adore about my DHTB is that he's said I look wonderful with any length of hair. He has seen photos of me with my pixie cut and he's seen me now and he's said that he is happy with any length of locks on me as long as I'm happy with them. :love:

And quite cute that your DS has gotten the idea of brushing the cat. :D

Siava
July 1st, 2008, 07:02 AM
An ex-coworker taught his two toddler girls sign language, too. It was the neatest thing to see when he brought them in. That's so cool you're teaching your son to do that.

lora410
July 1st, 2008, 07:47 AM
Omg that is to cute about your kiddo. They say toddler who use sign before they can talk are much less frustrated then other kids. God knows my kid was always frustrated because I never knew what she wanted. P.S I bet the kitty likes his brushing session ;) as for the hubby he will prob grow to love it and my honey would be happy if I grew my hair way past my arse:lol:

sipnsun
July 1st, 2008, 07:49 AM
I think you are right when you call your husband "the only man on earth who doesn't like long hair." lol If I get a microtrim, my husband notices. It drives me nuts!

I homeschool, and I've been teaching my children sign language for 2 years. It's great because if I need to remind them to say thank-you or please in public, I can sign it and no-one's the wiser. I just wish I had started earlier.

EvaSimone
July 1st, 2008, 08:06 AM
My fiance likes my hair at waist length but when I told him that I was going to grow it to tail bone length or at least hip length he got a look in his eyes that let me know that he wasn't thrilled with the idea. It was the same look he gave me when I told him that I spent $40 on a ficcare and it was worth every penny. lol

hurricane_gia
July 1st, 2008, 11:10 AM
It's funny but my husband doesn't seem to have a preference one way or another. He thought my hair was cute when it was short and cut into a 'style' and he thinks it's pretty now, too. And he hasn't expressed an opinion about longer hair; when I ask him he just say, "I'll have to see it on you to decide if I like it." :)

However, he has absorbed the competitiveness of growing long hair. When he sees me measure my hair, he waits to find out how long it is and then he calculates how much longer it is from last month. He also check out other long haired people and tells me if my hair is longer than theirs.

It's so cool that your toddler signs! It's so good for brain development to be bi- or multi-lingual, and especially good to be able to communicate with other people at an earlier age than usual. Plus, you get so many opportunities for cuteness like the brush incident!

julya
July 1st, 2008, 06:15 PM
I taught my son some signs when he was a toddler. It was so helpful for communicating with him.

jojo
July 1st, 2008, 07:34 PM
AWW what a cute story! Your hair will 'grow' on your husband, well not literally! My DH didn't like long hair when he first met me and mine was waist then, now he threatens (jokingly) to divorce me if I ever have it cut short again! hes even growing his hair now, not superlong and keeps saying 'does my hair look to have grown' MEN!

lyneya
July 1st, 2008, 08:12 PM
Oh DH doesn't mind overly. When I met him, it was BSL, but I'd just grown out a pixie cut (what can I say, it grows fast!). I cut it short again after our wedding and he loved it -- I think it wasn't in the way so much. From what I can tell, he likes it best about BSL. And he doesn't like LIVING with really long hair.

The signs are awesome! Baby boy is about 18 months now and can do over 100 signs. It's so helped us talk--I really can't imagine not having this tool. As hard as he tries to talk, it's really bridged the gap. Plus, extra brownie points with the grandparents...he already does "sorry" "please" and "thank you". Not bad since my 9 and 12 yr old neices haven't really got those down! ;) We watch "Signing Time!" on DVD a lot. It taught my husband and I at the same time and the baby LOVES it. :)

burns_erin
July 2nd, 2008, 11:39 AM
DH some times "says" he does not want my hair getting too long (he is balking at my classic goal) but when it was longer he like to play with it. I think he is just jealous with not being physically capable of grqoing his much longer than it is now (MBL). He is always catching it on fire (while overhead welding, even when it is pulled back and he is wearing a hard hat) or getting tacky tape in it.

RavennaNight
July 2nd, 2008, 11:53 AM
Im lucky my DH is all for long hair. The longer the better. But I did discover one long hair hang-up of his. No to fairytale ends! One day I was complimenting the extreme knee length on an Indian girl walking by, and his comment surprised me. He was like "Eeeew! The ends are uneven and hardly even there! I like long hair, not long scraggly hair!":rolleyes: Not that my personal goal is fairytale ends, but I think they are pretty too!:D

brok3nwings
July 2nd, 2008, 04:36 PM
that is a lovely and funny story eheh :)