PDA

View Full Version : Long-ish Hair Woes.

cecilyhayes
May 19th, 2009, 09:33 PM
So I've been here for a little while, mainly reading posts just basically learning about hair care. I used to rip through my hair with a brush (never even used a comb), blow dry occasionally and bleach the whole length of my hair (professionally done) every 6 months or so for years. Needless to say, I still have some damage. I did cut a good 5'' off a while back and I've been doing small trims (about monthly) ever since. You can see that the bleached part has grown out to my ears. The thing is though, my hair has always gotten tangled when it gets longer. REALLY tangled, even now that I've been here and I've been using only a wide tooth wooden comb 99% of the time, no blow drying, no bleaching or dying, gentle treatment, lots of conditioner and using coconut oil. I take vitamins now and don't wash my hair everyday. Is there anything else I can do to help with the condition of my hair? Or maybe just give me any kind of encouragement not to cut it because I really think I want to, yet I know I would regret it. My hair is boob length if that helps, I say that because its not quite BSL. It doesn't seem to be growing much either, like really really slow. :(

CindyLea1
May 19th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I say "Hang in there!"

It sounds like you have a good start. Baby your new growth, and keep trimming off the damage. In my opinion, damage will make more damage. If you have rough, splitty dry hair from the bleaching it may be breaking off and damaging the hairs next to it. This can seem like it is not growing, but if the bleach line is at your ears, it has been.

Try using a leave in conditioner spray, to detangle with. Or a very light extra virgin olive oil water mix. I use about a tablespoon in a water spray bottle, shake and mist, then detangle with a good wide tooth comb, and then brush.

Maybe you need to clarify? I would start there, then maybe see if you need moisture, protein, or both?

Peter
May 19th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I know what you mean about the tangles. Despite treating my hair as well as I could, my ends used to be rough and tangled all the time. I wore my hair in a ponytail for months just because the tangles got so bad. I tried clarifying to see if it would help, and after a week I decided it hadn't so I went ahead and cut about 2-3". My ends felt amazing after this and the tangles were almost entirely gone.

Maybe you're in the same case with your bleached hair? But I doubt you'd want to cut all the way back to your ears and start over. I think it might help if you frequenty did small trims. Several members here growing out damaged hair do this. How much to trim I don't know, but I'm sure someone who does will come along. Your hair will likely grow faster when your ends are healthy again. I think the purpose is to always have fresh ends, but not to cut so much that your hair gets shorter. You might have to maintain the same length for a while, though.

Hope this helps!

Nyssa
May 19th, 2009, 11:09 PM
I always thought my hair was a hot mess when it got long until I started experimenting with different ways of putting it up. Turns out ponytails just make my hair angry. :shrug:

Maybe you could try putting your hair up or in a braid straight away after it's dry? Having your hair secure can help reduce damage and limit tangles since it's not blowing around all day.

Nyssa
May 19th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I always thought my hair was a hot mess when it got long until I started experimenting with different ways of putting it up. Turns out ponytails just make my hair angry. :shrug:

Maybe you could try putting your hair up or in a braid straight away after it's dry? Having your hair secure can help reduce damage and limit tangles since it's not blowing around all day.

Fifty-Five
May 19th, 2009, 11:46 PM
I'm in the same boat! =o ...well, not the SAME, but I get all tangly xD I know why, pretty well, and it's to do with damage. I NEED to get rid of some of the damage, but.... I don't trust anyone to do it. >.> That, plus my shampoo sucks xD

Delilah
May 19th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Set a goal for yourself to not cut it until you reach a milestone (like waist length, etc) and try to keep the blow-drying and chemical processing to a minimum while babying your hair with whatever moisture and oil goodies you find it likes.
Then wait, and wait, and wait some more.

Blue Willow
May 19th, 2009, 11:58 PM
braiding it while it dries keeps it from tangling and i would try pre treating with coconut oil before you shampoo, overnight if possible and wash in morning, this would help keep more moisture and protein in your hair. You might also try a product called Moroccanoil. If your hair is color treated or bleached it does amazing things, but its a little expensive, but hey its worth it if it keeps you from cutting your beautiful hair!

FullMoonTrim
May 20th, 2009, 12:00 AM
So I've been here for a little while, mainly reading posts just basically learning about hair care. I used to rip through my hair with a brush (never even used a comb), blow dry occasionally and bleach the whole length of my hair (professionally done) every 6 months or so for years. Needless to say, I still have some damage. I did cut a good 5'' off a while back and I've been doing small trims (about monthly) ever since. You can see that the bleached part has grown out to my ears. The thing is though, my hair has always gotten tangled when it gets longer. REALLY tangled, even now that I've been here and I've been using only a wide tooth wooden comb 99% of the time, no blow drying, no bleaching or dying, gentle treatment, lots of conditioner and using coconut oil. I take vitamins now and don't wash my hair everyday. Is there anything else I can do to help with the condition of my hair? Or maybe just give me any kind of encouragement not to cut it because I really think I want to, yet I know I would regret it. My hair is boob length if that helps, I say that because its not quite BSL. It doesn't seem to be growing much either, like really really slow. :(
Have you been taking at least 5 mg of Biotin every day? I have heard really great things about that supplement. I just started taking it myself. Also, I have heard good things from women taking Biosil drops (silica) and high amounts of MSM (sulfur) daily.

I don't know what BSL stands for. I thought it was beyond shoulder length or something ....

Isilme
May 20th, 2009, 04:16 AM
if I got it right, you still have hair left from the bleaching? Right? If yes, then it isn't odd that your hair is tangling, just because you baby your hair and take super good care of it doesn't mean that the damage will disappear. You will probably have to let it grow out before you can get rid of the tangles. That doesn't mean that you should cut off half of your hair, but just keep trimming and take good care of your hair and you will slowly get rid of the damaged length. Be patient! I still have dyed hair left from when I joined here and I can feel the difference between that and my virgin hair with henna only.

Arctic
May 20th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Some hairtypes, even when super healthy, tangle more than others. Perhaps some oil, catnip rinses or silicone products would help?

Also tangliness can me a sign of a build-up in your hair. If it's been ages since you clarified, that might help your tangliness issue very much.

JamieLeigh
May 21st, 2009, 07:05 PM
Everyone else has had some great advice! You do have a big headstart over most other people, because at least you know what NOT to do, lol.

Unfortunately the main ingredient is going to be a GIANT spoonful of patience. A lot of people don't like silicone conditioners, but they're actually one of the best ways to keep tangles at bay. It's not going to happen overnight, but you'll find that if you keep babying your new growth and trimming off your damage a micromillimeter at a time, you'll get where you'd like to be eventually. Good luck and happy growing. :flower: