PDA

View Full Version : Marcia, Marcia, Marcia !!

jera
May 19th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Whether portrayed by Maureen McCormick in the tv series or Christine Taylor in the Brady Bunch movies, Marcia Brady became world famous for her signature long blonde hair which she religiously brushed 100 strokes every night. :D

Do you like Marica Brady's hair? What about Jan Brady's hair? I like both, but grew to prefer Jan's hair ( as played by Eve Plumb in the tv series ). Jan's hair was a beautiful shade of blonde, like the color of ripe wheat. It was thicker than Marica's and had a slight wave which made it more interesting than the stick straight hair so popular at the time. I hated those horrible corkscrew curls she wore on the sides though for a season or two. :o What were they thinking? But by the time Jan reached high school her hair was really every bit as beautiful as Marcia's.

Guys, feel free to express your opinions on this as well.

JillieRose
May 19th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I was so envious of Marcia's hair when I watched the movie. Which was hilarious, incidentally. But then I always had a thing for Calleigh Duque...Du...Calleigh from CSI:Miami's long straight blonde hair too. (Comes of having curly hair, I think, also...shiny...)

Elphie
May 19th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I liked Cindy's hair the best, I guess I always wanted what I didn't have: curls!

But since Cindy isn't a choice, I'd have to say Marcia.

OhioLisa
May 19th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I always preferred Jan's. Maybe, like Jan, I was just always sick of hearing about "Marcia Marcia Marcia". Poor middle child, she was. :silly:

MsBubbles
May 19th, 2009, 03:28 PM
I *love* Marcia and Jan Brady's hair!! They were my hair idols before I even knew hair idols existed. That is, I was already late teens by the time I saw the repeats on UK television, so I had already talked myself into being 'too old' to be able to grow my hair that long. Gaah. All those wasted decades I could've been growing my hair that long!! I honestly thought my hair would never grow past BSL. I haven't achieved that yet but I have more hope now than I did back then.

I love this 'Marcia's Diary (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVyNzjtxQOo&feature=PlayList&p=E3144E4C6B5093B9&index=0&playnext=1)' clip, hairwise. It amazes me how their hair stays neatly behind their shoulders.

Oh and here (http://csimiami.wetpaint.com/page/Pilot+%7E+Cross+Jurisdiction+Screen+Caps) are early CSI pics before the unfortunate arrival of Emily Procter's APL layers. On that site there are some nice pics of her hair when it was waist length. I don't care if it's bleached and straightened. I love how it looks.

spidermom
May 19th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I think I might have seen that show a time or two, but I don't remember the hair.

GlennaGirl
May 19th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I loved Marcia's hair. I didn't like Jan's hair as much, which was probably unfair of me. But...what was up with one curl on each side of her face? That was odd.

So I liked Marcia's hair best. :)

(Cindy's was just plain silly.)

JillieRose
May 19th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Pretty hair...

OK, yes, bleached and straightened. I know.

I love the Brady clip though. Seriously, how does it stay behind their shoulders like that?

AutumnLeaves
May 19th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Another fan of Jan's hair. Her's was always my favorite.

Curlsgirl
May 19th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Jan definitely. The curls on the side were very fashionable at the time. They just look weird now.

wintersun99
May 19th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Marcia's hair (in the t.v. series) was always my favorite. I didn't like any of the hairstyles on any of the others... some of them were just strange/silly :D

sneakybea
May 19th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I liked Jan's hair the best. Actually, I think I probably liked Jan the best because she had glasses, like I did.
I have a long-haired friend who has perfected the "Jan Brady walk." Her hair swings behind her like a pendulum when she walks.

GlennaGirl
May 19th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Jan definitely. The curls on the side were very fashionable at the time. They just look weird now.

Are you sure...? I mean I do remember some "overly-elegant" or overly-done styles being popular, but I definitely don't remember the curls thing and NO little girl of my generation would have ever worn the fake sausage curls Cindy sported!

However, I should add that I was watching about five years after the shows originally aired. I was born in 1967 so I wasn't really watching the show at all until the early 70s at least. So maybe it was just a slightly earlier fashion.

The clothes I definitely do remember, particularly the boys wearing striped or plaid pants all the time.

All the "gosh" and "wow!" and "wild!" stuff we pretty much thought was a California thing! But again, that may have been the slightly toned-down quality TV almost always had compared to real life, with more innocence, particularly in family viewing.

I LOVED the Brady Bunch. That, Star Trek and Emergency! with Randolph Mantooth. His name made me giggle but that was definitely one of my favorite shows. Friday nights at 8, baby!! On a TV with 12 channels plus the blank channel U, and antennae your dad had to adjust ten times while you said, "Wait...you almost have it...THERE...don't move...okay, STAY right there with your left hand extended upward, your right crossed behind your rib cage and under one thigh! It's PERFECT!"

God gods but I'm old.

GlennaGirl
May 19th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I liked Jan's hair the best. Actually, I think I probably liked Jan the best because she had glasses, like I did.
I have a long-haired friend who has perfected the "Jan Brady walk." Her hair swings behind her like a pendulum when she walks.

I should have loved Jan too since I was the ugly younger sister of a gorgeous and perfect older sister, so I really should have been able to relate, but even as a six-year-old I remember thinking, "She feels SO sorry for herself. All...the...time!" God that drove me CRAZY! I mean build a bridge, Jan!

She (Eve, I mean) seems like a cool person IRL, though. :cheese:

skay
May 19th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I remember watching that show. :) Fun!

In regards to hair,

I'd have to say I remembered I had admired Jan's hair because it was long, wavy and there were times it seemed to be especially bright - like it had been naturally exposed to that California sunshine. ;)

Marcia's hair was cool in it's own right (but didn't have the color-pow effect on me).

Demetrue
May 19th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I loved Jan's hair because it looked just like mine and YES, I wore it exactly like that in the late 60's. A lot of models wore that style with the center of the hair pulled back and then long tendrils at the side.

SimplyLonghair
May 19th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I, at one time or another had to wear all of those hairstyles, I was my mother's hairstyle model. Some of the pictures that I have from that time ought to be illegal. :p Yes, that included the sausage curl ponytails.

Jan was my favorite.

joyellen
May 19th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I always loved Jan's hair. It was so long and I loved the wave. I remember wishing I could have hair like hers :p

Shermie Girl
May 19th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Jan's hair was my fave, too. As a little girl I tried my best to emulate her gorgeous tresses. I also had pale blonde hair but it wasn't as long or as thick. But I wore it in a half up with the little curls on each side. And a yarn bow in the back. :lol:

Glenna Girl, your description of TV viewing in the early 70's cracked me up and brought back memories. Rabbit ears! With tin foil wadded all over them. :rolleyes: :lol:

I am old, too. :cool:

Debra83
May 20th, 2009, 12:15 AM
I loved the brady bunch too! I remember when they taped the show in Hawaii, and seeing an interview with the cast after. Apparently, as soon as they got off the plane, all the guys hair went super curly with the humidity, and stayed that way until they went home!

Altocumulus
May 20th, 2009, 07:52 AM
My hair looked exactly like Jan's hair, so I preferred Jan! I agree about the corkscrew curls, although the odd thing is that my hair is wavy with a couple of corkscrew curly locks right at the sides of my head...

Good thing I'm not a middle child, or I'd be saying, "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!" right about now!

smerrie
May 20th, 2009, 08:08 AM
I do have to say that I like Marcia's better... but I would love to have any of the girls hair! I love blonde.

wintersun99
May 20th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Glenna Girl, your description of TV viewing in the early 70's cracked me up and brought back memories. Rabbit ears! With tin foil wadded all over them. :rolleyes: :lol:

I am old, too. :cool:

Sad to admit that I was too cheap to subscribe to cable when I lived in SLC (was there during the Olympics) and that was the exact description of my viewing pleasure. Luckily, got to go to lots of events in person, but what I couldn't go to, I viewed through t.v. fuzz... :D

Oh and I used to LOVE that show Emergency! My parents actually used it as a threat to get me to clean my room. :p

Tap Dancer
May 20th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Do you like Marica Brady's hair? What about Jan Brady's hair? I like both, but grew to prefer Jan's hair ( as played by Eve Plumb in the tv series ). Jan's hair was a beautiful shade of blonde, like the color of ripe wheat. It was thicker than Marica's and had a slight wave which made it more interesting than the stick straight hair so popular at the time. I hated those horrible corkscrew curls she wore on the sides though for a season or two. :o What were they thinking?

They both had beautiful hair. Marcia's looked silky and Jan's looked thick. I don't think I could pick whose hair I liked more. (Although I agree about the crazy side curls Jan wore. That, IMO, looked really bizarre. :lol:)

FullMoonTrim
May 20th, 2009, 09:10 AM
They both have the most amazing hair. I think if I had to choose I would go with Jan's. She has the option to go a little curly or just go straight. It is also an amazing color (my hair is more like Marcia's color, I think). Here is a great picture of both of them with their very long hair. I will try to post...
!http://images.teamsugar.com/files/users/6/60803/38_2007/1428923511_e5c29fd488.jpg!

rags
May 20th, 2009, 09:22 AM
My hair was very similar to Marcia's when I was young - only finer. So of course I always wanted Jan's hair! (That, and I couldn't stand Marcia!)

Glennagirl, I too adored your description of watching television back then except - twelve channels? We didn't get twelve channels! We got five, and two others which were so snowy you could barely make out what was going on. And the "remote control" was us children! (My Dad didn't like getting up to change the channel!) ETA: Egads, I'm old too!

Altocumulus
May 20th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Haha...we had five snowy channels too, and rabbit ear antennae with various homemade extensions. I like to try to horrify my teenaged daughter with grim tales about how, when I was a child, we had to actually walk up to the television to change the channel, but so far she is unimpressed. My tales of hardship don't even rate an eyeroll. :silly:

wintersun99
May 20th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Haha...we had five snowy channels too, and rabbit ear antennae with various homemade extensions. I like to try to horrify my teenaged daughter with grim tales about how, when I was a child, we had to actually walk up to the television to change the channel, but so far she is unimpressed. My tales of hardship don't even rate an eyeroll. :silly:

My dad used to make my brother get up and change the channel for him :D

jera
May 20th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I loved Marcia's hair. I didn't like Jan's hair as much, which was probably unfair of me. But...what was up with one curl on each side of her face? That was odd.

So I liked Marcia's hair best. :)

(Cindy's was just plain silly.)

LOL ! Those corkscrew curls on either side of her head were ridiculous. But my mom did wear similar curls I'm ashamed to say. :o

But by the time she was in high school, I gotta say, I prefered the look of Jan's hair. (Though Macia's was awesome too.) :p

jera
May 20th, 2009, 02:55 PM
They both have the most amazing hair. I think if I had to choose I would go with Jan's. She has the option to go a little curly or just go straight. It is also an amazing color (my hair is more like Marcia's color, I think). Here is a great picture of both of them with their very long hair. I will try to post...
!http://images.teamsugar.com/files/users/6/60803/38_2007/1428923511_e5c29fd488.jpg!

Aw, That's so cute. I like Jan's hair in that shot. No weird side curls. :p Marcia's too. Pity they both sold out when then got older and did the chop. They would've been very attractive with long hair even in middle age.

JillieRose
May 21st, 2009, 03:41 AM
Five channels? FIVE? We had FOUR, until the introduction of Channel Five when I was in secondary school.

Even then, reception of aforementioned channel was rubbish.

And this was only ten years ago. Spoilt for choice, you were! :P

I love that picture, by the way. Jan appears to be wearing a curtain for a dress, and Marcia is wearing a cushion cover.

Ah, fashion.

Rini
May 21st, 2009, 05:05 AM
Coming from a family where I am the youngest of 3 sisters, I was always thought of as "Cindy"....hence I really did NOT like her hair or want to be her! I wanted to be Marcia (not for her hair, but because she was the oldest). Now, in retrospect, I do prefer Jan's hair :inlove: