PDA

View Full Version : New girl looking for a good 'cone-free condish for the 2nd 'C' in CWC

rogue_psyche
May 19th, 2009, 02:20 AM
I'm still in the process of finding a conditioner for the last step of CWC. I've seen the big cone free list on the VIT sticky, but there's so many that I feel kind of overwhelmed. I CWC every two to three days (basically as needed) and usually CO in between CWC. I sometimes oil a bit before a CWC as well, at times leaving the oil in overnight.

I'm happy with Suave Coconut for the 1st condition as it is cheap so I can slather it in. Suave however, gives me build up if I use it for both conditions. Any choice for the 2nd C should probably not have a strong fragrance or have a coconut smell as Suave is kind of big on the fragrance. I wash with CV bars. My hair was colored last New Year's Eve and then I hennaed it about a month ago, so I need something that plays nice with hair that has been bleached. As of now I have not observed any anti-protein sentiment in my hair. I'd probably just need a good conditioner that doesn't leave too much buildup.

Back in my SLS and 'cone days I loved Redken and Matrix Biolage products, if that helps characterize my hair in any way. Those who have tried Biolage's Conditioning Balm or Fortifying Conditioner: how well would they work for the 2nd 'C'? Do you think they are worth the money?

Thanks in advance for your adivce. I'm so glad I've found this community! I've learned so much from all of you and my hair is already feeling so much healthier.

Ella Menneau P.
May 19th, 2009, 04:54 AM
I'm still pretty new here, and learning a ton, but I use Aussie conditioner on my ends, the Aussie shampoo on the scalp, and Biolage conditioning balm all over for my CWC. I do this 2 or 3 times a week, depending on how active I am (read, how sweaty my scalp gets). Yes, to me it's worth the expense.

So far so good, and my ends are far less crispy than they used to be. I think I may have staved off the need for a trim with this routine.:cheese:

AlleyKitten
May 20th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I use a Giovanni conditioner for my second C and I love it. I also remember liking Biolage when I used it as a kid.

Elphie
May 20th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I like Palmer's Olive Oil Formula Conditioner.

rose_in_bloom
May 20th, 2009, 09:07 PM
You might try Trader Joe's Nourish Spa conditioner if you have a Trader Joe's in your area. It's a good product and has a mild and pleasant smell. It's cone-free and cheap.

Cinnamon Hair
May 20th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Those who have tried Biolage's Conditioning Balm or Fortifying Conditioner: how well would they work for the 2nd 'C'? Do you think they are worth the money?
Before I finished reading your post I was planning to recommend Biolage conditioning balm, so yes definitely try it! It is quite thick so it's good for getting out tangles and adding moisture. Of course Biolage has that signature fragrance (which I adore!) but I think the conditioner is much weaker scented than the shampoo. Currently Biolage is my favorite cone free conditioner but it's a very close race with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose taking second (smells strongly of honeysuckle). I'm a bit of a product whore. Other cone free conditioners I like enough to keep buying after the 1st bottle ran out are: Kiss My Face Whenever (lime fragrance) and Burt's Bees Grapefruit & Sugar Beet (also scented).

swirlytresses
May 20th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Sally's beauty supply carries a generic of the biolage....GVP biolage conditioning balm that is great.

rogue_psyche
May 21st, 2009, 12:01 AM
Currently Biolage is my favorite cone free conditioner but it's a very close race with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose taking second (smells strongly of honeysuckle). I'm a bit of a product whore. Other cone free conditioners I like enough to keep buying after the 1st bottle ran out are: Kiss My Face Whenever (lime fragrance) and Burt's Bees Grapefruit & Sugar Beet (also scented).

Ooh thanks so much for those scent descriptions! My DBF is a citrus freak so maybe I'll try Kiss My Face Whenever sometime.

I ended up getting the Biolage. It along with a breakthrough with the poo bars resulted in silky hair today. My discovery: soaking a chunk of the bar with a small amount of warm water prior to the wash allows for great foam without rubbing it back and forth on your hair. Yay clean scalp with less tangles!

JamieLeigh
May 21st, 2009, 06:58 PM
I'm in love with Giovanni lately. I bought the Tea Tree Triple Treat conditioner, and I love it so much! It makes my scalp tingle...and an added bonus is that the instructions on the back of the bottle actually tell you to massage it in for five minutes. So it's a scalp-massage encouragement. :D

Teacherbear
May 21st, 2009, 07:47 PM
I'm another Giovanni gal! I'm becoming less enamoured with the shampoo, but I adore the conditioners!

Elenna
May 21st, 2009, 08:20 PM
Well, Giovanni SAS and Bert's Bees Grapefruit & Sugar Beet, and Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioners are my "second conditioner" favorites.