PDA

View Full Version : What? Dandruff? Help!

GoddesJourney
May 18th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Did anyone else find that washing less causes dandruff?

Okay, so as soon as I started the painful process of washing less (I have really oily hair that I've had to wash every day most of my life) I start getting dandruff. There's always some present, even if I've just washed it, but it's really bad the second day. I did an ACV rinse today after I shampooed, so I hope this on a somewhat regular basis will help. I'm confused, though. Why is this happening?

Help!

Thank you.

BlndeInDisguise
May 18th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Maybe you could try using some tea tree oil?

Or perhaps a scalp massage before you wash would help, as well. I used to have problems with a flaky scalp, but it went away when I started CO'ing. I think the combination of massaging the conditioner in, and not drying my scalp to a crackly crunch (even though my scalp is oily as well) helped get rid of it.

GoddesJourney
May 18th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I'm just not sure why it suddenly happened. I haven't had dandruff since I was a little kid and didn't always get all the conditioner out of my hair. Beyond that, nothing, ever. Why now? Is it possible that washing less could cause this?

Gumball
May 18th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Could it potentially be sebum buildup? If you're washing less the sebum can build up more on the scalp and if it isn't distributed out throughout your hair it can get to the point it can sometimes appear like dandruff. Are the flakes large, small, dry and crackly, malleable, etc.?

akka naeda
May 18th, 2009, 12:18 PM
You could try doing a scalp oiling and see if that helps.
My hair is fine until a couple of days after washing, then I get flaking. I found doing a scalp oiling will get rid of the flakes immediately, and they don't come back for a week. I do have very dry skin though, so while that's the cause in my case I don't know about you:)

windinherhair
May 21st, 2009, 08:55 PM
Did anyone else find that washing less causes dandruff?

Okay, so as soon as I started the painful process of washing less (I have really oily hair that I've had to wash every day most of my life) I start getting dandruff. There's always some present, even if I've just washed it, but it's really bad the second day. I did an ACV rinse today after I shampooed, so I hope this on a somewhat regular basis will help. I'm confused, though. Why is this happening?

I am having the same problem! I got to day 6 last week before I washed my hair. Today I was on day 4 and I had the most horrible case of flakes! I just had to do something. I couldn't go to work like that, so I used the CO method. I thought that might at least not be as hard on my hair. I have been using the WC method of only using shampoo on the scalp while having the conditioner on the rest of my hair. I also have an oily scalp so my hair has been used to getting washed every day to every other day.

I have not tried the ACV yet. I hope that helps me too. I just got some the other day and will try it after the next time I wash.

Darkhorse1
May 21st, 2009, 09:42 PM
Yes, yes yes.

I've found clarifying shampoos have helped, but when dandruff kicks in, I've use Head and Shoulders for Mild cases, Nizoral for serious cases. Nizoral will cause your scalp to itch, but the pharmasist said that's the medicaiton getting under the skin of your scalp. Apparently dandruff starts under the scalp (it's a fungus).

Tea tree oil is a natural remedy for fungus, but I never found it worked on my scalp. I think you have to play around with products. if it's really bad, your doctor can prescribe something.

WARNING: Nizoral is not recommended for those who color their hair. Read the bottle carfully before using.

Head and Shoulders is more gentle. The newest forumla, in a navy blue bottle worked amazing for me, as well as cool water rinses--eased the itching.

Diet and weather changes can affect my scalp.

Hope that helps! :D

windinherhair
May 21st, 2009, 10:29 PM
Yes, yes yes.

I've found clarifying shampoos have helped, but when dandruff kicks in, I've use Head and Shoulders for Mild cases, Nizoral for serious cases. Nizoral will cause your scalp to itch, but the pharmasist said that's the medicaiton getting under the skin of your scalp. Apparently dandruff starts under the scalp (it's a fungus).

Tea tree oil is a natural remedy for fungus, but I never found it worked on my scalp. I think you have to play around with products. if it's really bad, your doctor can prescribe something.

WARNING: Nizoral is not recommended for those who color their hair. Read the bottle carfully before using.

Head and Shoulders is more gentle. The newest forumla, in a navy blue bottle worked amazing for me, as well as cool water rinses--eased the itching.

Diet and weather changes can affect my scalp.

Hope that helps! :D

Thank you for the input! In the past month I have started to use a more mild, organic shampoo and conditioner, and I really like it. Right now I don't want to go to a dandruff shampoo. Wouldn't the dandruff just come back if I stopped using that shampoo? Although I didn't think it could be dandruff, after looking at pictures on google, it looks exactly like what I have. I really don't want to change shampoo's. :( I will see if the ACV helps any.

Darkhorse1
May 21st, 2009, 11:14 PM
Don't change what works for you :) I know for my needs, I had to use the Head and Shoulders, but it's really mild. And not necessarily--unless you treat the fungus that causes dandruff, it will come back. However, if you are addressing the cause of the problem, it shouldn't. I tend to get 'flares' if my diet changes or if I'm highly stressed.

One thing--there is also dry scalp. The flakes can look whiteish. It's hard to know which is which, so I tend to reach for dandruff shampoo if my scalp is itchy. H and S is zinc based, which is healing and soothing.

Hope that helps--you can use any dandruff shampoo at one washing, then go back to your regular shampoo the next time. :)

Just to add, ACV is great for Ph balance, but can alter colored hair. I didn't use it because I color my hair and didn't want to risk it. (though it's a semi permanent and probably washed out by now ;) )

GoddesJourney
May 22nd, 2009, 10:59 AM
Unfortunately, I don't know what it is. I haven't found that my scalp really itches. I tried ACV rinses and it seems to help (a little). I wonder if a little Head and Shoulders could get me out of the cycle. I just don't know why it suddently happened when I started washing less. Maybe all the oil allows for fungal growth? By the way, I did a scalp oiling with coconut oil. It's definately not dry scalp.

windinherhair
May 24th, 2009, 06:06 PM
I am almost to day 4 again and only a few flakes. Last week on this day there were a lot! I think the ACV rinse really helped. I also got a BBB and brushed my scalp really well before I washed to loosen any flakes. Maybe the more I use the ACV and BBB, the more I will notice a difference. That is the only thing I have changed in my routine so far.

Darkhorse1
May 24th, 2009, 09:25 PM
From my understanding, ACV helps with restoring PH balance in the scalp. For me, I think the excessive build up of oils in the scalp can cause the fungus to grow. Not sure of the specifics.

The other thought it--you might be getting flakes due to the oil drying--known as dry scalp. If I go too long without washing, I'll get flakes, but it's dried oil/sebum that flakes off. Thus, people think they have dandruff, when in fact, it's dry scalp (which makes no sense because the scalp is overly oily) :D

Head and Shoulders is great because it's milder these days and WOW--made my hair look AWESOME! The zinc in it is soothing for mild skin conditions--I'd always go this route first.

windinherhair--that's great! Glad the ACV is working for you. :)