PDA

View Full Version : Breakage at temples...

GoddesJourney
May 18th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Does anyone else get annoying breakage at the temples? It reminds me of how babies get the "baby mohawk" from sleeping, which is probably what's causing the breakage. I ordered a silk pillowcase off ebay so hopefully a month from now I will be able to say that the problem is solved.

Does anyone have any insight? I started sleeping with braided hair. I used to just put my hair above my pillow by the headboard but I shed too much and I'm tired of waking up with hair everywhere.

Peter
May 18th, 2009, 12:52 AM
I sleep in a loose braid too. I wear glasses, and I think they cause most of the breakage at the temples. I also have some baby hairs there (the ones with a really short terminal length) so I have a sort of halo there. It usually behaves though.

GoddesJourney
May 18th, 2009, 01:04 AM
I don't wear even sunglasses because it for some reason impaires my ability to judge depth (not a good thing) so I'm sure that's not it for me. Mine's fine in that area too.

Finoriel
May 18th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Are you sure it is breakage? Itīs perfectly normal that the hair from the temples does not grow to the same length like hair from the crown area of ones head would. Itīs not as coarse, not as dense growing and sheds sooner and therefore does not get as long. Itīs growing at the border from head hair to the much shorter facial fuzz. Some people have more of it than others and for some people it reaches longer length than it does for others, so there is quite some variation, but itīs terminal length is always shorter than the terminal length of our normal head-hair.
My hair from the temples is just growing to chinlength and itīs not breakage :).

GoddesJourney
May 18th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Well, I don't remember having as much of it before, and I can definately see the tips are a bit white on most of them. Also, I actually saw *gasp* little splits! Granted, there were only two or three of them, but it seemed quite abnormal to me. So yes, I'm pretty sure it's breakage.

Igor
May 18th, 2009, 02:23 AM
I call mine “donkey ears”. Short pieces at a triangle shaped patch on my temples
My theory is that this is causes by several factors:
Shorter genetical potential growth in this area
Thinner and finer (and thus more fragile) than the rest of my coarse mane
Sleeping position on my side (Still waiting for my silk sleep cap!!)