PDA

View Full Version : Hair tips that have never been cut

ilovelonghair
May 17th, 2009, 11:11 PM
I wonder if they are less prone to splitting? I don't have them all the length down, but I have them till halfway my hair and they don't seem to split as much as ends that have been cut (due to micro trims, or s&d)

GoddesJourney
May 18th, 2009, 12:02 AM
I was wondering about this myself. Sometimes I feel like I'm actually making my hair worse by doing S&D. Also, I heard rumor that it's not cutting it that's bad, but cutting it when it's dry. Supposedly it causes more split ends. That could just be a superstition but the concept has merit. Perhaps I should oil before doing this?

Finoriel
May 18th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Yes, they are less likely to split.
Cutting off the natural tip īopensī the cuticle and the inner fibres get accessible to the constant wear and damage the cuticle is meant to protect them from. It also creates a blunt end which is more prone to splitting than the naturally tapering pointy tip of a hair which has never been cut.
If your hair scissors are not as sharp as they should be or razors have been used to create layers, makes ones hair even more split prone. In that case the hair shaft is more squeeze-cut or sliced than clean cut. So itīs important to use proper hair scissors even for S&D and never use them for anything else than trimming hair.

ilovelonghair
May 21st, 2009, 12:32 AM
I want to make sure I don't cut off those natural tips, but I still want to cut the split ends, this is going to be a task! My goal is in future one day to only have natural tips, don't know if that is even possible!

bte
May 21st, 2009, 02:00 AM
I have had less breakage in the last few years after deciding not to cut or trim at all in 1994. How much of that is because of untrimmed tips, and how much because of trying to look after my hair better, I can't tell.

Best way is to try it and see!