PDA

View Full Version : Aveda Black Malva Conditioner

Tangles
May 17th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I've heard this conditioner deposits a bit of color in the hair, giving a slight darkening effect. Has anyone tried it? It sounds like it could potentially be the answer to my desire for slightly darker hair, and I trust the Aveda products not to damage my hair.

Calanthe
May 17th, 2009, 10:41 PM
I used it for while. It might be, that it darkened the hair a bit, but as I had pretty dark hair anyway at that time, I didn't really see this. It gave a wonderful shine, though and my hair had warm, browinish highlights instead of blue-black.

Madame J
May 18th, 2009, 09:24 AM
I used this for a while when I dyed my hair black. I didn't re-dye, and my hair stayed dark, but I never tried it on virgin hair to see the effect. It definitely made my tub look interesting...

InTheCity
May 18th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Seems to be worth a try. I too stand behind Aveda products for no damage.

luxepiggy
December 8th, 2010, 04:31 AM
Resurrecting an old thread as I'm curious to know if anyone has tried this on virgin hair? If so please share your opinion/experience! Thanks (^(oo)^)

MonaMayfair
December 8th, 2010, 06:03 AM
I've never used the Black Malva, but I used to use Aveda Clove colour conditioner to make my naturally blonde hair brown for a change!
(This was a few years ago - I use henna now, but I remember it definitely made a big difference in colour, and washed out ok - though it took a few washes to do so)

luxepiggy
December 8th, 2010, 06:10 AM
I've never used the Black Malva, but I used to use Aveda Clove colour conditioner to make my naturally blonde hair brown for a change!
(This was a few years ago - I use henna now, but I remember it definitely made a big difference in colour, and washed out ok - though it took a few washes to do so)

Good to know - thanks! Did you also use the matching shampoo, or was the conditioner enough on its own to deposit the colour? Also, did it stain your linens at all? I have all white everything, which I'd rather not have to bleach at every wash, as the fabric is rather delicate ( ' (oo) ' )

Tabitha
December 8th, 2010, 06:28 AM
I tried the Black Malva some years ago - I vaguely recall it imparted a somewhat cooler cast to my hair but it wasn't enough to keep on using it. I didn't find it especially moisturising, didn't care for the smell and found it did stain things.

Re. the scent - I don't care for most of Aveda's "herbal" type smells, but some time after that I had a "custom" conditioner made at the Aveda counter and was able to choose my own scent, as well as colour enhancing, and I really loved that conditioner! I went for warmer tones that time.

luxepiggy
December 8th, 2010, 06:43 AM
I tried the Black Malva some years ago - I vaguely recall it imparted a somewhat cooler cast to my hair but it wasn't enough to keep on using it. I didn't find it especially moisturising, didn't care for the smell and found it did stain things.

Re. the scent - I don't care for most of Aveda's "herbal" type smells, but some time after that I had a "custom" conditioner made at the Aveda counter and was able to choose my own scent, as well as colour enhancing, and I really loved that conditioner! I went for warmer tones that time.

I didn't know Aveda did custom conditioners! Can you go to any Aveda store for that? Or only the Aveda salons? Piggy conditioner, what fun! (^(oo)^)

Tabitha
December 8th, 2010, 07:10 AM
I didn't know Aveda did custom conditioners! Can you go to any Aveda store for that? Or only the Aveda salons? Piggy conditioner, what fun! (^(oo)^)
Mine came from the Aveda counter at a large department store.

I'd forgotten about it until reading this thread! I just phoned to enquire whether they still did it and sadly the SA told me they discontinued it last year :justy:. It would have been nice to have again.

She said they still did personalised body products, but not shampoo or conditioner any more because there wasn't enough demand - clearly not many people are as fussy as I am about the scents of the products they use (the smell of Sap Moss used to make me gag and I had to stop using it even though my hair loved it).

luxepiggy
December 8th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Mine came from the Aveda counter at a large department store.

I'd forgotten about it until reading this thread! I just phoned to enquire whether they still did it and sadly the SA told me they discontinued it last year :justy:. It would have been nice to have again.

She said they still did personalised body products, but not shampoo or conditioner any more because there wasn't enough demand - clearly not many people are as fussy as I am about the scents of the products they use (the smell of Sap Moss used to make me gag and I had to stop using it even though my hair loved it).

Maybe if we both called everyday to a different location and inquired . . . http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/smilies/ah5.gif

Sheltie_Momma
December 8th, 2010, 09:55 AM
When I worked in an Aveda salon I used both this and the Clove. Nice color results on virgin hair (my natural highlights tend to go orange-y so this helped with that, Malva is cooler and Clove is warmer) and no problems with dry hair leaving marks on linens. HOWEVER - the actual shampoo itself will discolor the tub, the grout, the wash clothes and fingernails etc. Generally it can be scrubbed off but it would leave things a mess.

luxepiggy
December 8th, 2010, 10:40 AM
When I worked in an Aveda salon I used both this and the Clove. Nice color results on virgin hair (my natural highlights tend to go orange-y so this helped with that, Malva is cooler and Clove is warmer) and no problems with dry hair leaving marks on linens. HOWEVER - the actual shampoo itself will discolor the tub, the grout, the wash clothes and fingernails etc. Generally it can be scrubbed off but it would leave things a mess.

Ah. So all of my fancy fluffy towels would be ruined. Alas! (/(oo)\)`

Thanks for the information! If I do decide to try it I'll be sure and purchase some gloves and throwaway towels for the experiment (^(oo)^)