PDA

View Full Version : Do these things cause your hair to become greasy?

Darkhorse1
May 17th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Curious to know if many of you find that rain, wind, dirt, sweat or anything from the earth, makes your hair greasier?

If I don't cover my head, rain will kick in the oils. So will wind, dirt, sweat and anything else, so it seems! ;) I have always had a greasy scalp, so maybe that' s why, but I was interested to know if others found this too?

If I go swimming, I have to wash my hair after, or it'll be a matted, gooky mess. :D (in a pool or lake--doesn't matter).

zen_oven
May 17th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Wind can do it a bit. Sun also, as well as heat. My scalp gets the greasies during the first couple of heat spells of summer, but seems to adjust after that.

Carolyn
May 17th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Just being outside any length of time makes my scalp produce more oil. Wind is especially hard on my hair. If I sweat at all I have to wash it. I always wash after getting my hair wet in a pool to get the pool chemicals out.

rose_in_bloom
May 17th, 2009, 10:06 PM
My hair gets greasy if I even LOOK at it wrong. :rolleyes: Wind seems to make it greasier, and heat and humidity too.

akurah
May 17th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Sweat tends to make my hair different, but not necessarily greasy. The closest analogy for how my hair feels from sweating is like swimming in the ocean then letting it dry without rinsing the salt out, but without the tangle problems, kinda.. dry-ish, I suppose. And even that analogy is pretty flawed because it doesn't convey exactly what I'm aiming for.

Calanthe
May 17th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Sweat, yes. A little and my scalp itches. Being outside doesn't, only if I wear a hat/cap/buff.

longhairedfairy
May 17th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Sweat. Yuck, nasty stuff.

ilovelonghair
May 17th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Rain used to do the trick for me, but I'm careful not to get my hair wet in the rain.
Being ill is a very good one for greasy stringy hair as well and it makes you feel even more ill!

Magicknthenight
May 17th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Wind always seems to make my hair greasier. Especially my bangs that i'm growing out. Like when i'm in the car with friends on highways and the windows are down and so are my bangs...yea they just never look the same for some reason. I wonder why!

RancheroTheBee
May 18th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Rain seems to do a number on me, as well as heat, but my hair seems to absorb the oil soon thereafter.

(Which sounds like a Godsend until you realize how dry my hair is to be able to do this.)

Gothic Lolita
May 18th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Sweat makes me greasy faster, but it's nothing compared to rain. When I get rain water on my scalp, it look greasy immediately and becomes awefully tangled.

Heidi_234
May 18th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Maybe your perception of 'grease' is actually unclean hair? I know that I feel like my scalp's healthier when it is actually just greasier, because my hair and scalp are so prove to excess dryness.

drquartz1970
May 18th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Heat and humidity produces more buildup of oils on my scalp then anything else and having to wash/shampoo/condition every 2nd day in the summer months and only every 4th day in the winter.

Another possible cause of excessive oils would be diet - I believe from personal experience since I started eating more healthy food with less qreasy fried fatty junk food stuff that my skin is less oily then it was before including my scalp. It stands to reason that the body has different ways of eliminating wastes from the pores of the skin including excess fatty substances which can contribute to too much oily scalp.

Curlsgirl
May 18th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Nothing really makes my scalp more greasy honestly except failure to wash often enough. And even then I can go usually 4 or 5 days without it feeling that way. Rain makes it softer but never greasy. But my hair tends to be on the dry side anyway. My scalp seems to be unnaffected by most anything. I always use a sulfate shampoo though when I wash to keep it at it's best. :D

MsBubbles
May 18th, 2009, 07:30 AM
I'm really happy to see this thread too (there was another rain-water/oily scalp thread a few weeks back). Yes! Yes!!! Rainwater makes my clean, freshly washed scalp an instant oily mess. Nothing to do with not washing it. Everything to do with something in rainwater making my scalp and hair greasy. I don't know why. It has always happened to me, and it's so frustrating to hear people throughout the decades sing the praises of "healthy rainwater" being great for their hair and leaving it nice and soft. No. Not for me. It leaves my hair greasy and sticky up top and stiff at the ends.

I simply concluded this whole time I had really wimpy hair. But I'm glad to hear other people have this problem to.

Oh and by the way, it has absolutely nothing to do with what products I use, apparently.

Iylivarae
May 18th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Sweat, water in general (rain, pool water, shower water...).

Akiko
May 18th, 2009, 08:46 AM
My hair gets greasy if I even LOOK at it wrong. :rolleyes:

My hair is the same way. :mad: To keep it look clean, I need to wash everyday. But I don't want to. So I wash every 2 days.

Rain is bad for my hair. When my hair dries after being rained on, it looks so much greasier. Strange. I don't think rain contains grease. So it's my scalp producing.

Winds, heat, sweat.... All these make my hair greasier, too. Touching my hair too much is no good. Ack!

lirael
May 18th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Rain does make my hair look weirdly oily and frizzy at the same time, but sweat doesn't hurt it. It might not look perfectly clean, but if I work out in the evening and let the sweat dry, it feels amazingly soft the next day.

mira-chan
May 18th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Now why doesn't my hair get oilier from any of this? My scalp doesn't sweat at all, in any weather, so that doesn't do it either.

JamieLeigh
May 18th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Sweat definitely, plus it throws me into frizzies. :rolleyes:

Kirin
May 18th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Maybe your perception of 'grease' is actually unclean hair? I know that I feel like my scalp's healthier when it is actually just greasier, because my hair and scalp are so prove to excess dryness.

There's dirty hair and there's greasy hair...... its grease. Oily scalp, oily mess that kicks up when some kind of mother nature thing screws with my head. I know this because I suffer it too. Sweat, humidity, heat and rain will make my scalp produce a challenging amount of oils.

Windy conditions will not make my hair greasy though, that will make it a dirty unclean tangled mess from kicked up dust and whatnot.

I have to agree with the others here, rain water in particular, is a disaster for me. What it is about it, I don't know, but it always has the same effect.

free_hug
May 18th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Sweat, yes. Sweat is my scalp's arch enemy. Wind: no, actually i rather have the impression that it leaves my hair a little dryer... (i may be the only one) neither does rain.

But nothing makes it as greasy as touching it and playing with it all the time :)

Chanterelle
May 18th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Curious to know if many of you find that rain, wind, dirt, sweat or anything from the earth, makes your hair greasier?
rain - yes
wind - no
dirt - yes
sweat - yes
swimming in a pool - yes
swimming in a lake - no

Darkhorse1
May 19th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Funny, when my hair is just dirty, it will feel gummy and matted more than oily/greasy (outside of the natural oils that is). If I get caught in rain, my hair will instantly look greasy, even if I just washed it.

Sweat makes my scalp itch REALLY badly. This is one reason I'm investing in a good vented riding helmet.

Funny, when I'm really sick (high fever), my scalp seems to get dried out. If anything, the oils kick in more from laying/sleeping.

One good thing about oily/greasy scalp? you can oil your own head! Hahaha. If I find my hair hasn't been behaving, I'll let it get super greasy (which is usually waiting until day 3 to wash), and then it comes out great! :D

OhioLisa
May 19th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Sweat, dirt, and swimming make me need a good washing immediately. My hair loves the rain, however. Sun and wind don't really make much difference.

rose_in_bloom
May 19th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Oh, and I forgot to add that touching/playing with my hair always makes it greasy faster. I usually play with my hair or try new styles right before I wash so it won't matter.

drquartz1970
May 19th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Are you sure Rain water has nothing in it but water? Our planet is so polluted these days that it would probably contain a bit of acid from the smog I'm thinking? There are places with "acid rain" . Just a thought.

ilovelonghair
May 23rd, 2009, 02:21 AM
Wind always seems to make my hair greasier. Especially my bangs that i'm growing out. Like when i'm in the car with friends on highways and the windows are down and so are my bangs...yea they just never look the same for some reason. I wonder why!

I used to have that too (but I grew mine out): due to the hair rubbing against the forehead it gets oily from the skin oils on your forehead. I used to even wash my fringe seperately to make it look less greasy.