PDA

View Full Version : How to get my curls back

dontcallmejessi
May 17th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Ok so I've been away from LHC for some time now and I have a hair emergency, well sort of. I haven't been that bad. I do use sulfate free poos and conditioners, although they do have cones in them. I clarify once in a while. I stay way from heat. I use honey treatment once in a while, jojoba oil regularly but not too heavily. But my hair is just going flat and seems like no curl definition. Like all my curls are just falling out and hiding somewhere. So what can I do to help bring the curls back? I'm so not liking this. I haven't done anything terrible to my hair that I can think of so I don't know what happened. I even tried adding a slight layer to my hair but no luck. I hate having flat hair :rolleyes:. I despirately want my curls to come out and play! Any body HELP!!!

manderly
May 17th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Stop using cones. They kill my curls and waves.

Get your hair moisturized with the curly girl method or CO for a while. They'll come bouncing back in no time.

ZaBasDa
May 17th, 2009, 10:26 PM
You might even need a protein treatment. After I started taking better care of my hair, I somehow ended up with a routine that was sounds similar to yours, but it was nearly all moisture. My hair was limp until I added a little protein back into my routine.

It also might be the cones, they tend to turn my curls in to light waves.

coppercurls
May 17th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Stop using cones. They kill my curls and waves.

Get your hair moisturized with the curly girl method or CO for a while. They'll come bouncing back in no time.

I agree with manderly. Sometime the cones just seem to weigh down the curls.

bjjowett1993
May 17th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Stop cones, clarify, and do a few acid rinses. My article on acids and bases/alkalis explain if further detail. :)

JamieLeigh
May 18th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Definitely quit the cones. I didn't even know I HAD waves and curls until I went cone-free. :)

Curlsgirl
May 18th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Could be build-up, that would be my first guess. If you are going to use cones perhaps use a lighter one and a light sulfate shampoo or diluted one so the cones won't build up. My other thought would be if your hair has gotten a lot longer, the weight too can pull out some of the curl.

Oh you might try a light gel or something too, one without alcohol like LA Looks Sports gel. I use a curl cream and a gel too to help my curls along. Then when it is completely dry I scrunch out the crunch lightly.

jera
May 18th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I think I'd lighten up on the oilings, because they could be weighing your hair down. :( If that step doesn't work, then try ditching the cones as the others have recommended.

dontcallmejessi
May 18th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Thank you everyone for your help thus far! I guess maybe it is the cones. I don't oil my hair really very much when at all and it hasn't grown much. I had trimmed several inches over and over, trying to get to the good part. It is only about bsl. maybe a bit longer. Anyway, back to the subject. I use suave daily clarifying shampoo. Is that enough to clarify all the old cones out? or is there something else you could recommend, preferably easily attained from a drugstore or my kitchen? I just ordered some aubrey organics poo/condish but until then I found a conditioner that I think is cone free and sulfate free. Anyone know for sure? it is suave naturals ocean breeze infused with sea algae extract and vit e. Sorry for so many questions but obviously I need to get back on track here!

dontcallmejessi
May 18th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Ingredients in the suave naturals ocean breeze infused with sea algae extract and vit e:

cetyl alcohol, cetrimonium chloride, fragrance, potassium chloride, distearyldimonium chloride, disodium EDTA, 2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1,3-diol, tocopheryl acetate, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone, sorbitol, algae extract, yellow 5, green 3

so is this ok???

manderly
May 18th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Your shampoo should work fine to clarify. Maybe wash a second time. And yes, the Suave you have is what I've got in my shower right now.

And FYI, I've never found oils to pull out curls, only to enhance them by helping to clump them together.

dontcallmejessi
May 19th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Thank you so much for your response. I will try this then. I only am afraid that with a somewhat oily scalp I need to poo my roots. Hopefully if that's all I poo it won't be to bad for my curls. I will give it a try. thanks again! You guys and gals are awesome! But of course you know that already :D