PDA

View Full Version : *Drinking* spearmint tea = faster growth??

Forever_Sophie
May 17th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Just read this on another site - anyone here try/experience this? Faster scalp growth & slower growing hair on legs? Sounds too good to be true!

Also supposed to be great for skin.

Themyst
May 17th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Egads! What would happen if you drank spearmint tea whilst soaking Monistat on your scalp at the same time then?:eyebrows:

Katurday
May 17th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Does spearmint tea taste anything like spearmint gum?
Because if thats the case, I'm in.
(for the experiment, that is)

Carolyn
May 17th, 2009, 02:41 PM
I've never heard of that but it would sure be a dream come true! Does it matter if it's hot or iced tea?

enfys
May 17th, 2009, 02:42 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6376599.stm

This explains the reduced body hair, but no mention of head hair. Hmm.

jera
May 17th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Mint teas are "yin" IE refrigerants and therefore beneficial for hair which is yin related / cool, fluid as opposed to yang which is hot and dry. I think this is a great idea to promote hair growth, but drink your yin mint teas in the afternoon when yin's influence on the body is paramount. In the cool hours of the morning you need yang based foods and teas to keep harmony, energy, and balance in your system.

Great thread BTW. :D

Forever_Sophie
May 17th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Egads! What would happen if you drank spearmint tea whilst soaking Monistat on your scalp at the same time then?:eyebrows:

ROFL! :laugh:

I've never heard of that but it would sure be a dream come true! Does it matter if it's hot or iced tea?

Apparently just 2 cups or so, they didn't specify hot or cold (I'm assuming hot though). I'm reading this over at MUA's skincare board (am I allowed to say that!? Or post links? Don't want to get in trouble! Sorry if not, I'll delete).

I just don't get the scalp growth/leg hair slowing...I'd hate for this to contradict my biotin.... So complicated! LOL

Forever_Sophie
May 17th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Mint teas are "yin" IE refrigerants and therefore beneficial for hair which is yin related / cool, fluid as opposed to yang which is hot and dry. I think this is a great idea to promote hair growth, but drink your yin mint teas in the afternoon when yin's influence on the body is paramount. In the cool hours of the morning you need yang based foods and teas to keep harmony, energy, and balance in your system.

Great thread BTW. :D

Thanks! And thanks also for this explanation :)

Boudicca
May 17th, 2009, 03:04 PM
That's weird! I just popped on here for a read, and I think you're referring to a post I made a little earlier on makeupalley?

The spearmint tea might help with those who experiencing thinner scalp hair because this can often be caused by too much male hormone in the system. These hormones (androgen and testosterone) can also cause excess body and facial hair. Ergo - thicker head hair, thinner hair everywhere else. It can also help with hormonal acne and excess sebum production

http://news.hairlosshelp.com/hair-loss-news/could-spearmint-tea-help-hair-loss-sufferers/

Roseate
May 17th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I just don't get the scalp growth/leg hair slowing...I'd hate for this to contradict my biotin.... So complicated! LOL

Well, that article linked above said it somehow regulated the body's testosterone production. Since excess testosterone can cause increased body/facial hair but thinning scalp hair, it makes some sense.

That article was saying it had a positive effect on women who had hormonal imbalances, don't know how much it would do for a woman with normal hormones. But spearmint tea is yummy, cheap and harmless, so no reason not to try!

Forever_Sophie
May 17th, 2009, 03:38 PM
That's weird! I just popped on here for a read, and I think you're referring to a post I made a little earlier on makeupalley?

The spearmint tea might help with those who experiencing thinner scalp hair because this can often be caused by too much male hormone in the system. These hormones (androgen and testosterone) can also cause excess body and facial hair. Ergo - thicker head hair, thinner hair everywhere else. It can also help with hormonal acne and excess sebum production

http://news.hairlosshelp.com/hair-loss-news/could-spearmint-tea-help-hair-loss-sufferers/

I am! Figured it would be of interest to members here for obvious reasons ;) Plus, after the monistat threads, we're open to anything, right? LOL

Thanks for explaining the hormonal effects.

enfys
May 17th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Boudicca, the wording on that article looks to be the same as on the BBC article I linked to. Even jounalists can't be bothered anymore.

I still haven't found any evidence it speeds up scalp growth, just that it could stop the thinning people with pcos suffer.

And don't suggest it to the men in your life; it's not the same with male pattern baldness, men just lose their libido, which is what prompted the studies in the first place!

Boudicca
May 17th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Boudicca, the wording on that article looks to be the same as on the BBC article I linked to. Even jounalists can't be bothered anymore.

I still haven't found any evidence it speeds up scalp growth, just that it could stop the thinning people with pcos suffer.

And don't suggest it to the men in your life; it's not the same with male pattern baldness, men just lose their libido, which is what prompted the studies in the first place!

Yes, the article was copied and pasted through most of the stuff I read. As you say, I don't think it will speed up scalp growth in those with 'normal' hormones - but for those with freaky hormones (like myself), it's worth a go, I think.

Wanderer09
May 17th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Would peppermint tea have the same effect, or does it have to be spearmint?

HotRag
May 18th, 2009, 01:32 AM
I found the same info about spearmint at Swedish sites.

I have at home some Mentha, but it did not say what kind. It was found at the shelf for food from Middle east Asia.
Very very good taste in food and as tea. Such fresh taste.
I think my herb can be spearmint, cause it has mild and cool very tasty taste, not as strong as I think pepper mint would have (but I don't really _know_).

Seems good to have as infusion or EO in hair and skin products.

I wonder what is in the spearmint that is good for bringing high testosteron down, that is not in pepper mint.

Boudicca
May 18th, 2009, 01:44 AM

Has to be spearmint.

Forever_Sophie
May 18th, 2009, 08:09 AM

I asked the same q. when I heard!

marialena
May 18th, 2009, 08:46 AM
I know for sure that spearmint tea that is very good for stomach, for problems with digest but I have not heard anything about growing hair faster.

Have in mind, all of you that you are about to try it, that it is like coffee. The more you drink it the more you want it. I know that because when I had problem with my stomach I used to drink it and I found out after a week that I couldn't do without it..

RetroKitten
May 18th, 2009, 09:35 AM
To those who consider trying this out:
Will you keep the same schedule as they did in the study ("a cup of spearmint tea twice a day for five days in the follicular phase of their menstrual cycle")?

Boudicca
May 18th, 2009, 12:01 PM
To those who consider trying this out:
Will you keep the same schedule as they did in the study ("a cup of spearmint tea twice a day for five days in the follicular phase of their menstrual cycle")?

I'm on the mini pill and have no way of figuring this out - so I'll just take 2 cups a day.

HotRag
May 18th, 2009, 12:52 PM
In the Swedish site, it said twice a day, and 5 grams of leaves in each cup. That's a bit.

blondecat
May 19th, 2009, 02:49 AM
I drink Tonnes of Spearmint and Green tea.

Like about 12 cups a day [seriously]

I has made NO difference as far as Im concerned, to my hair.

I just like the taste

freznow
May 19th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Acne, too, you say? Well, why not, eh? I'll see if I can dredge up some spearmint tea. If it helps my hair, well, yay!

Fencai
May 19th, 2009, 03:22 PM
i wish i liked mint tea!! to me, mint tea=upset stomach!!!

I'll wait a little longer until the consensus is in!

wackyredtangles
May 19th, 2009, 03:35 PM
I love teas. I go to the whole foods here and buy the tea in bulk. It seems expensive when you first buy it, but it lasts forever. I have some tea balls too, they're these mesh hollow balls that open and close. Boil some water in the kettle, put your tea ball with the given tea in a pitcher, pour the water in, and there you go. Its what I drink instead of juice. When its cold I don't usually put any sugar in, its very refreshing that way. Its also a great way to cut down on calories from juice, while drinking something besides water. I don't know about all the health stuff, but I like it, so I'll stick with it.