PDA

View Full Version : Beach hair!

Roseate
May 17th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I'm leaving in a few days to spend a week at the beach with my family. :sun: Yay!

But now, what about my hair? I haven't been to the beach since I became obsessed with, er, started really taking care of my hair.

My thought is, I'll french braid it when actually on the beach, probably oil it first. I always wear a nice big sunhat when out of the water anyway. What about removing the salt and oil when I get off the beach? Will CO be enough, or is the salt going to build up on my hair in some pernicious way?

What are your favorite strategies for caring for your hair on/after the beach?

wintersun99
May 17th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I would guess that oiling your hair would prevent salt water build up???

I never really worried about it myself. But if I was concerned, I suppose I would oil heavily and keep my hair in a braid or a bun. Have fun on vacation! :)

Carolyn
May 17th, 2009, 02:33 PM
If you oil and braid your hair and wear a sun hat for beach time you should be fine. If you get in the water, either do a CO or CWC afterwards. I took a bottle of water down to the beach to rinse my hair after being in the water. I think keeping it braided will do the most good as the wind at the beach is killer on long hair. It's only a week. Go and have fun and do the best you can. Aveda has some new hair/sun products that I plan to try this summer.

jera
May 17th, 2009, 02:54 PM
If you oil and braid your hair and wear a sun hat for beach time you should be fine. If you get in the water, either do a CO or CWC afterwards. I took a bottle of water down to the beach to rinse my hair after being in the water. I think keeping it braided will do the most good as the wind at the beach is killer on long hair. It's only a week. Go and have fun and do the best you can. Aveda has some new hair/sun products that I plan to try this summer.

I agree that braiding oiled hair and wearing a sunhat overall should repell even the harshest sea salt. Have fun BTW. :)

:cheese:

ktani
May 17th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I'm leaving in a few days to spend a week at the beach with my family. :sun: Yay!

But now, what about my hair? I haven't been to the beach since I became obsessed with, er, started really taking care of my hair.

My thought is, I'll french braid it when actually on the beach, probably oil it first. I always wear a nice big sunhat when out of the water anyway. What about removing the salt and oil when I get off the beach? Will CO be enough, or is the salt going to build up on my hair in some pernicious way?

What are your favorite strategies for caring for your hair on/after the beach?

This may help, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=115

Roseate
May 17th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks everyone, I've got my coconut oil in my suitcase and I'm ready to go!

Debra83
May 17th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Have fun! And send us a postcard!!!

Flynn
May 17th, 2009, 10:08 PM
All I can suggest is go up to the freshwater showers and rinse off your face and hair at least when you get out of the water. Salt won't build up; you just need to get enough water to it.

ktani
May 18th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Saltwater can linger (mineral deposits). I would rinse with fresh water, then club soda to help remove residue.

"Salt is hygroscopic .... it absorbs water from the air. This water dissolves the salt .... the resulting salt water combines with the remaining salt, cementing the grains together into a solid mass." (http://sci-toys.com/ingredients/table_salt.html)

".... unrefined sea salt contains many minerals that regular iodized table salt does not contain, such as magnesium, sulfate, calcium, and potassium." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_salt)

Sarahmoon
May 18th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Great tips, though I personally find it hard to undo a braid when it's been in salt water and dried again etc. Maybe a bubba tail would work better? :shrug:

marialena
May 18th, 2009, 07:49 AM
I use as a rinse for my hair after sea swimming, a bottle of water ( one of those you can buy anywhere).
As far as I know sea water is not so totally bad for hair if you rinse it immediately after but it can cause damage if it gets dry on your hair from the sun.
So every time that I go for swimming I braid my hair, in order to avoid tangling and then I unbraid them and I rinse them with water.
I think that the thing that makes the more damage on hair is the chlorine in water. This is my problem in general because even tap water has lot of chlorine in it.

One summer I had gone for holidays in Chalkidiki, an area that is north in Greece. There they had very good quality of water that came from the mountain's fountains. As soon as I wet my hair I realized the difference between this water and the water that we have here in Athens.
My hair didn't need conditioner, rinse, I can say that didn't need shampoo either.
It became immediately soft and shiny because this water was so clear and free of minerals that manage to remove anything that I had on my hair till this wash.

If you can find totally clear water to rinse your hair after swimming it is the best ( but where to find this...?? :rolleyes:) :)