PDA

View Full Version : Protect hair in the sun with

ieiazel
May 17th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Hello!
Now that we are starting to go out in the sun again, I wonder which products do you use for protecting the hair from the sun.
I would like to find something natural and not silicon-based. Do oils help protecting the hair?
I've recently purchased jojoba oil, but I'm willing to buy any other oil that helps me prevent sun damage.

Thank you!

ktani
May 17th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Welcome to LHC!

The short answer is that no oil can replace sunblock or covering hair.

However, coconut oil may help protect hair (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=529716&postcount=780) used under a sunblock.

There have been 2 recent threads on the subject of sunblock/sunscreens.

1. Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=25230) and 2. Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=25500)

ieiazel
May 17th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Oops, sorry for the repeating topic!

ktani
May 17th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Oops, sorry for the repeating topic!

Not at all! You will find multiple threads on the same topic. No worries. Each one usually offers a slightly different viewpoint and gets different kinds of responses.

florenonite
May 17th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I don't have any information, but I love your "location"!

wintersun99
May 17th, 2009, 02:43 PM
If all else fails, silk scarves :D

jera
May 17th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I put a light oil on my ends which are exposed but wear a baseball cap or other type of hat, depending on what I'm doing, to protect the rest.:p

Deborah
May 18th, 2009, 01:24 AM
I wear a big wide hat when I know I'll be in the sun for a long while.

Aditi
May 18th, 2009, 01:32 AM
The commercial coconut oil i am using is promising to protect hair from sun damage and pollution i have just began to use it so early to see result and recommend it. I am using Parachute Advance coconut hair oil.

ktani
May 18th, 2009, 02:53 AM
The commercial coconut oil i am using is promising to protect hair from sun damage and pollution i have just began to use it so early to see result and recommend it. I am using Parachute Advance coconut hair oil.

Coconut oil does not have a high engh SPF naturally to replace sunscreen/sunblock but it should help used with one, IMO.

Zindell
May 18th, 2009, 03:50 AM
I have no answer because I am a naughty girl. I love to let my hair get bleached by the sun during summer. :p :run:

Finoriel
May 18th, 2009, 04:51 AM
The best and most natural way to protect ones hair from sun damage is *gasp* staying out of the sun :wink:.
Depending on where you live and how much time you actually spend outside in direct sunlight it may be trading the devil for the Beelzebub to use hair products meant for sun protection. Have a close look at the ingredients before buying, not even all skin sun screens are good and it´s likely that hair-sun-protection will be filled with nice coney things and similar ingredients. Possibly helping to prevent sun damage, but creating other problems in the long run.
I just wear a hat with a wide brim or headscarves, stay in the shadow whenever I can and keep an eye on the moisture/oil level of my length and most days I´m working outside.
My hair is just fine with this protection and considering that it´s wise to wear a hat/headscarf in desert conditions anyways this method should be still fine, even for much sunnier places. Quite some cultures in dry sunny places had long and healthy hair before the times began when successful marketing strategies suggested buying sun-lotion for hair :wink: and those people spend far more time outside than most of us do these days.

Some oils have a natural sun protection to some degree... not very high, just about 4 SPF but additionally to covering ones head it won´t hurt using them as summer-oils. Jojoba, Shea or Macadamia are often mentioned in that context, but I´m sure there are more which could be used :bluesmile.

marialena
May 18th, 2009, 07:39 AM
I have heard that monoi oil is a very good sunscreen for hair and skin. But I haven't try it yet. :|

Curlsgirl
May 18th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Absolutely no substitute for a hat. To me it is not worth it in the long run.

LilyMunster
May 18th, 2009, 08:45 AM
I wear a Buff to block sun. They even make a sun blocker Buff. I forget the name. But it looks like the fabric is just thicker. If it's a hike or camping I wear a wide brim hat over the Buff.

spidermom
May 18th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Hats and scarves; seeking out the shade.

plainjanegirl
June 9th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I have no answer because I am a naughty girl. I love to let my hair get bleached by the sun during summer. :p :run:

I love what the sun does to my hair color, but I am not liking the effect of one day I spent out in the sun. So now I am looking for something to use. I cannot have my dry hair getting drier.

Curlsgirl
June 9th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I wonder how the new Aveda sunblock products are. I saw them last time I was at the salon.