PDA

View Full Version : How often do you "have to" cut hair?

wishfulthinking
April 7th, 2008, 06:53 AM
I haven't had mine cut since the end of January. I haven't found a hair stylist yet who doesn't cut more than I ask for (I say a dusting- this means 2 inches to the hair stylist). I know that there are some great stylists out there but I haven't found one yet. I used to blow dry daily (for about 5 minutes on medium heat) but I decided to stop and just air dry. I wash about every 3 days (but am trying to cut that down). I am sure with the blow drying that my hair has some damage. Do I need to cut off all the damage, trim a little every few weeks, or can I just let it go and not trim for a while? Sorry this is so long. Thanks for any help.

Alaia
April 7th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Answer: It is completely up to you. You have to ask yourself the question.

I'd say, if there are loads of splits, try a session with hairdressing scissors (they need to be decently sharp and actually meant for hair) cutting off all the split ends you can find. If after this, it doesn't look any better or you think you'd be happier with a full trim, then there's always Feye's trimming method (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/) which you do yourself, no stylists needed.

I personally haven't trimmed my hair for the last two years, but I've managed to keep my splits under relative control by cutting them out.

You have to decide what works for you here :)

goodenough
April 7th, 2008, 07:05 AM
I have a trim every 12 weeks or so. I know it's time when my ends start tangling so much they start breaking. I'm growing out a few highlights and they're almost gone. I chose to not get them cut completely out, although I did think about it. I think if it weren't for that and the fact I've been blowdrying more lately, I could go to twice a year w/no problem. Once my damaged parts are gone, I'm going to not cut for at least six months so my ends are less blunt. I like a little taper, as I think updos are easier with them.

magicatt
April 7th, 2008, 07:13 AM
I haven't trimmed my hair since March 2005. I have done periodic S&D for split ends but haven't even found many of those. The answer to how often you have to cut is you don't. You can keep hair healthy and growing without trimming. The only reasons to trim are for things you can't get by leaving it alone (making it shorter, evening out a hemline, removing damage, etc.)

jojo
April 7th, 2008, 07:31 AM
i went 2 years without a cut and then in Feb cut an inch maybe inch and half off the hem to make it straight, i now plan on just cutting once a year where again i shall take about the same amount off.

I do cut splits off though when i see them.

squiggyflop
April 7th, 2008, 08:09 AM
my hair splits easily... i trim every 6 months or so... i use feyes self trimming method..

anna1850
April 7th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I haven't been to the hairdressers since January 2007. In October I noticed a couple of splits but I've been doing search and destroy since and I'd say 98% of the ends probably still haven't split (I have to do a lot of searching and very little destroying). Most of the splits that I do find are on shorter hairs anyway so a trim would do very little.

So it's totally up to you. If you can't stand having any splits at all then trim regularly, if you're not that bothered then you can let it grow until you feel you need it.

socks
April 7th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I've gone about 7 or 8 years without any trims, and it's quite possible that you could go as long, if you don't mind your hair fairytaling. You just need to do an occasional bit of S&D to get rid of most of your split ends.

lulabelle
April 7th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I don't think you ever "have to" cut your hair. Some people here never trim! I think there is a no trimming thread somewhere, I don't know if it's been reincarnated since the new boards went up. I only trim my own hair, right now I'm trimming it every month to maintain it but when I want to grow it longer I trim every 6 months or so. I always have split ends but I don't feel the need to trim them all the time, because then I would never have long hair! I really only think I NEED to trim when the ends become completely tangly and unmanageable, and clarifying/ dusting doesn't work.

Devoted
April 7th, 2008, 09:41 AM
There is no "have" to cut. Society makes us believe we do. That is how stylists stay in business by cutting hair every 4-6 weeks as many recommend.
I think it is an individual choice, depending on your hair. Personally I just S&D as necessary, if I feel I need a trim I would have DH do it.

bte
April 7th, 2008, 09:48 AM
As others have said, it is up to you. It is possible to go for a very long time without a trim or cut of any kind (almost 14 years in my case, and a recent poster to the no trimming thread has never trimmemd her hair).

If you don't trim, you gain length more quickly, you don't spend money or time at a salon,
but
you will have a certain amount of unevenness, split ends, and not necessarily the hemline or style you want.

A lot depends on how you want to look - you can try not trimming for a whjile and see what happens, or you can try s&d (search & destroy) for split ends or a self trimming method (there are details elsewhere on this forum which you can search for).

Delilah
April 7th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I'll agree with the above, saying you never really 'have to'.
I trim .5-1 inch using feye's self trimming method every 4-6 months. It helps keep the ends looking blunt and neat and dramatically reduces my tangles. My last few inches have been bleached and dyed a few times, and no amount of babying will make them behave properly.

wishfulthinking
April 7th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I have learned so much for all of you. I decided to just trim my bangs ( I did them myself). I am going to do S&D and skip the hair stylist. I can spend that money on hair stuff now:)

ladystar
April 7th, 2008, 10:07 AM
I cut when I start to see my ends really bad and dry. I really dont have a set time. I use to cut about every 3 to 4 months. I am def trying to go at least 8 months or longer. As long as I dont get fairy tail ends. I dont like the way they look on me.

homeschoolmama
April 7th, 2008, 10:22 AM
For me it seems that roughly 1/2" every 4-6 months seems to keep my hair looking the healthiest. I've gone as long as 2 years between trims, but every time I do it really takes a good 4-6 INCHES to get rid of all the dry, split & damaged ends.

But I've got fairly fragile hair. My husband can go 6 years without so much as a single S&D and his hair always looks disgustingly perfect. Makes me sick. (well okay not really, but I sure am jealous!)
love,
mom

embee
April 7th, 2008, 10:37 AM
I did an 8 inch chop right before I found and joined LHC... summer 2005? Amazing. I've done a bit of S&D since then, but my hair is almost always up and I don't see any splits. I have no intention of cutting/trimming in the foreseeable future. What's the point? My hair is "virgin" - no dye, no bleach, no perm, no nothing. So there's no big "damage" to cut out.

No, my ends are not perfect, but since they're always up in an updo (Oh, I love an updo - always wanted to be able to put my hair up!) I don't really care. Fairytale ends help me a lot with my updo styles as they wrap and tuck in so easily. A blunt cut would never work for my hair.

Cutting/trimming is totally up to you. Enjoy the extra money and buy a few pretty hairtoys or save for something else interesting. :)

DecafJane
April 7th, 2008, 11:12 PM
I haven't been to the hairdresser since October last year (so it will be 6 months any day now!) and haven't noticed any damage, so I guess it depends on your hair.
The longest I have ever been without a trim (but with S&D) was a little over 2 years. If you aren't maintaining a "style" cut, you can get away with it. :)