PDA

View Full Version : Straighties, how well does your hair take a curl?

annielauri
May 17th, 2009, 07:18 AM
I decided to try out some of those foam curlers that bend on themselves to close last night. Oh my!!! My APL hair is up to my ears today!! I am hoping it falls some before I have to work, although I will probably put it up somehow anyways.

Gothic Lolita
May 17th, 2009, 08:14 AM
My hair hardly curls. Sure, if I wear a bun/braid the whole day, it will be curly or wavy, but to achieve real curls, a lot of product must be involved and even then it won't stay as lond as I want to.

bahannas
May 17th, 2009, 08:17 AM
My hair refuses to be curled with an iron, so I stopped that awhile ago. I decided to buy some of the squishy foam ones as an "experiment." I had hoped for them to be dry before I went to bed, but I soon learned otherwise! They took FOREVER to dry, and I had to sleep in them. It was a mistake on my part, because I woke up to a frizzy mess! After smoothing with a bit of oil, I had some pretty well defined curls. My hair is fine and delicate, however, resulting in a total "Shirley Temple" look. I don't know how quickly they would've fallen because I immediately washed mine out (school). If your hair usually doesn't take a curl, I imagine they would loosen up eventually.

amaiaisabella
May 17th, 2009, 08:23 AM
My hair likes to try out the curl for a few hours, then says, "Nah, I'll stick with what I know," and immediately falls straight :) Sometimes I'll get somewhat flippy ends after the curls are gone, which I like, but that's the most I get.

Ella Menneau P.
May 17th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Curls? What are they? My hair will take the kink from a braid worn overnight, but if I leave it down (rare) the kink will fall out within an hour or two.

smilinjenn71
May 17th, 2009, 08:38 AM
The past couple of weeks, I've been doing a wet-set (with mousse) at night with foam rollers. It sounds like the same or similar to what you used.

I've found that if I use a hair dryer, very lightly, on low heat, it relaxes the super tight curls so I can *do* something with it. What I love, love, love about using my rollers is that the curl stays around for a couple of days. Which means, in the end, I'm not having to mess with my hair as much!:happydance: I think the key to the curls hanging on, for straighties, is wet setting the hair, overnight.

Here's a pic (also my avatar) and I wrote about it in my blog as well. Sorry this pic is so big....UGH!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1999&pictureid=38643

inertia
May 17th, 2009, 11:10 AM
My hair takes curls very well. I've tried foam rollers and rags and they both gave me super-tight corkscrews. I get bun waves after only an hour or two of the style and they'll last for days, which is annoying because I don't like bun waves.

I've been looking for overnight rollers that are extra-thick but haven't found any. In the meantime, I use a 32 mm hot curling iron which is easy to control. I know it's not good for hair condition, but I don't do it often, and the results last a long time on my hair.

enfys
May 17th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I really struggle to get my hair to curl when I want it to. It takes a lot of product and a wet set overnight.

I'm going to try more natural options I think, aloe vera gel and sugar spray to see if this will help. Curls are only for special occasions anyway.

cynthia.md
May 17th, 2009, 11:14 AM
My hair held a curl a lot better with curling irons and pin curls when it was waist length, now that it's a bit past hip they curls stay for an hour or 2 before they start to fall when done with a curling iron.
I'll have to try out foam rollers!:)

Norai
May 17th, 2009, 11:22 AM
My hair will curl with curlers, but anything without heat will fall out in 10 min if it doesn't have hairspray or something in it.

HairColoredHair
May 17th, 2009, 11:24 AM
My hair falls out of curls very fast, heat, perm, or otherwise.

Longlocks3
May 17th, 2009, 11:40 AM
When I used to use curling irons(more than five years ago!) my hair would not curl. No matter what. I occasionally use the foam rollers that twist and snap. They seem to work pretty good but by the end of the day it usually is pretty well fallen out of curls, no matter what I put on my hair.

My hair just doesn't wish to be curly I guess.

Medievalhair
May 17th, 2009, 01:37 PM
One of the tricks that I use when I curl my hair is to blowdry til it is dry, with some product in it. But I get really good curl/wave in the summer from braids as is. During the rest of the months My hair has to be dry before it curl/wave.

Katurday
May 17th, 2009, 02:37 PM
My hair HATES heat.
It refuses to curl with the aid of a curling
iron (and, for that matter, straighten)

BUT my hair loves drying in certain ways.
If it dries in a pony, the kink will stay with
me even through a wash. If it dries in rag
curlers, that will stay a whole day and overnight.
Braid waves?What are those? I get a braid fro.

marialena
May 17th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Curls?? What's that?
I'm hairdressers nightmare. My hair have their own will and this, is to be totally straight whatever I use to curl them. The longer my hair stayed curly was about 4 hours but then the hairdresser had to iron them and use a load of hairspray before using the iron. I only once made them like this and that for a special occasion, because this kind of hairstyle is fatal for hair..

Lucky you who can have the alternative to do a different hair style once a while.. :)

flapjack
May 17th, 2009, 03:32 PM
When my hair was bsl, I could get curls from a curling iron, but now the weight pulls them out into a bunch of long twists that look more like dreads than curls.

But rag curls and braids overnight give me super curly or wavy hair without any product or heat needed and they stay for 2-3 days.

Curls, waves or straight... all without damage! I can get into that. :p

rags
May 17th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Any kind of curls from heat will fall out within an hour, tops. I have frustrated many a hairdresser in my day who was determined they would be able to curl my hair, only to have it falling out before I got out of the shop.

When I used to get perms in the eighties, they would last at most a month. Sometimes less.

On the other hand, if I sleep overnight in a wet set, I get curls that will last about 5-6 hours. That's the most I get, usually. I can however, get long lasting braid waves if I braid my wet hair and sleep on it. Those will usually last all day (gone by the next, though!)

I suppose my hair prefers being straight!

AnneAdeline
May 17th, 2009, 04:43 PM
My hair only stays curly for about an hour if it was with a curling iron. Rag curls stay for a few hours, but still go from ringlets to almost straight. The best way to get my hair "curly" is by letting two Dutch braids dry completely. Those are more of waves than curls, though.

Renbirde
May 17th, 2009, 07:29 PM
My hair is super suggestible usually, but likes to throw fits for the hairdresser...

Usually, any bends from a pony, braid, or bun will stay in until Washing Day, and sometimes after, though that's only for really serious pony crimping. DX

But whenever I try to get it done fancy, it rebels. It's like it can sense the salon or something!