PDA

View Full Version : Hair piece confidence

alkaliberry
May 16th, 2009, 04:22 PM
After illness last year I lost a lot of my hairs thickness and it's growing very slowly at the moment. So a few weeks ago while out with dh I had a moment of madness and bought a hair piece.....sorry :o! Anyway a friend has said it looks just like my own hair, as does my dh and my mum..... but I still feel very self concious when I wear it. It clips into my ponytail and makes it thicker and longer... and I do sort of like the way it looks. I was just wondering if any other LHC'ers wear/have worn a hair piece while growing their own hair and did it get more 'comfortable' the more you wore it? I just feel self concious wearing it and it just makes me look, in my opinion, so different.... but a different I like.

GlennaGirl
May 16th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I've worn them. They are fun! Think of your hair piece as a fashion accessory. Loads of people wear these whether they technically "need" to or not. Young people, old people, long hair, medium hair, all hair...If they weren't so popular you wouldn't see mannequin heads full of them in the window of Chloe's, a place specifically marketed to the very young, who as a demographic group tend to lean more toward "fashions" than groups of, say, my age on up. So you have to know they're fashionable.

Wear your piece. Think of it as something fun to do. Something whimsical. Enjoy it!

manderly
May 16th, 2009, 04:34 PM
I was pretty self conscious at first, but I loved the feel of long hair (this is when my hair was about shoulder length.

Don't feel stupid. I have lots of friends who have those ponytail addons, hair bunholders, etc. Be happy about it :)

gibsongirl71
May 16th, 2009, 04:34 PM
I agree too. Think of it as you would a pair of earrings or such. I have worn them too and think they are great fun.

Carolyn
May 16th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I have a couple of funky ponytail and bun add ons. Why not wear it if it's fun and you like the way it looks? It's not damaging like getting glued on extensions. Have fun with the hair!

ImperfectBrat
May 16th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I've worn quite a few pieces. All in all, I think they are fun and can help some people feel better about how they look. It's a sort of win/win situation.

girlcat36
May 16th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I also lost half my hair to illness two years ago. If I could have found a hairpiece that looked like my hair, I would definately have clipped it into my ponytail!

Wear ir around the house until you get used to it! :)

Speckla
May 16th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I have one and it's a fun way to have thicker or longer hair in an instant. I'd wear it now but my hair is a different color now.

hennaphile
May 16th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Don't feel self conscious! You have no reason to feel bad about it, you are just giving your self esteem a little booste while your hair grows back. I'm sure no one would ever tell someone undergoing cancer treatment that they shouldn't wear a wig, and while I'm not trying to make a bad analogy to your situation, I think there is nothing wrong with adding on some hair if it makes you feel better. Also, like others have said, think of it as an accessory :flower:

jera
May 17th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Go for it !! I'm glad you found something that matches your natural hair so well. Why not wear it if you like it and it makes you feel better. Think of it as a fashion accessory.

Hope your recovery is a speedy one and your hair is back in a flash. It seems like illness saps the life out of hair, and just when you wnat it to grow, grow, grow, it stalls. It's very challenging. :o

inertia
May 17th, 2009, 01:28 AM
I used to wear hairpieces quite frequently. It's such a great way to change your style. When my hair was shorter I wore them to add length. Last summer I got a couple of ponytail clips in curled and teased styles, even though my own hair was actually long enough. I just wanted to avoid styling time and damage to my own hair.

It sounds like you found one which is an excellent match so wear it with confidence and have fun!

Heidi_234
May 17th, 2009, 06:43 AM
I did it all the time! I was buying synthetic hair and clipping/braiding it into mine. It was longer than mine, so with the hair pieces I felt like a longhair! More so, I was dyeing my hair black and adding bright blue/purple/turquoise pieces, it looks superb in my not very objective opinion. :D
Wear them. If they look like your hair, the chance that somebody will notice is fairly low. It takes a trained eye to see the difference, and most people don't care that much about hair anyway.

alkaliberry
May 17th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Thank you for all your replies.

I feel self concious about all of me so the hair thing is just an add on really lol. My dh, friend and mum did give me the confidence to wear it in a place where no one I knew would see me (test run) and now thanks to all your positive replies when I go out for coffee with a friend this week I am going to give it another go.... this friend is also brutally honest and I very much trust his opinion so if he's for it then OK.... *thinks why does it matter so much to me what others think, I need to get over that!*

I got a text from my friend earlier saying I better be wearing the hair piece as it looks good! When I have had a shower and washed the affectionate slobberings of a springer spaniel, small black loopy cat and car shampoo out of my hair I am going to have anther go at hair piece confidence building!

K x

P.S how often do you wash the darn things?