PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs hairtyping and advice!

Paper Moon
May 16th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Hello everyone!

I've lurked around these forums for a few days, and finally took the plunge! I need serious hair help, for I've been neglecting my hair and damaging the heck out of it!

My hair has been naturally Wurly/sprizzy (that's my word for spiral frizz:P) and generally unruly. For at least 15 years I have been flat ironing it, to make it stick straight, because I couldn't stand my brillo curls that never seemed to look pretty.Normally I make it look like this.. which I love.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a110/Lucahjin/specs.jpg

Now that I've recently had it trimmed, I realize that I really want to take better care of it, and grow it out as best I can. My ultimate goal is for those lovely long waves, the kind you see in Lord of the Rings :)

I need a lot of help to stay away from the flat iron, but the truth is, I have no idea how to care for my curly hair - it's been so long! I tried my first hair oiling/massage last night - and lost a TON of hair. I've read a little bit here already, and realized that's probably ok.

Letting my hair air dry - here's what I came up with.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a110/Lucahjin/hair2.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a110/Lucahjin/hair.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a110/Lucahjin/hair3.jpg

It's laying down much better than normal. I think it was all that coconut oil!

Problem is - I still look at it and go BLEH!I think it looks so ugly! :doh: What type of hair is this, and how can I learn to love it the way it is? Even sitting here, I'm literally fighting myself not to go straighten it.

Is there hope for me? :crazyq:

Longlocks3
May 16th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Walk away from the straightener and nobody's hair gets hurt! Slowly now.......

Ok, is that awful straightener gone? Because I LOVE your curls. They are beautiful. LET THEM TWIRL SISTER! I'm jealous of your hair.

It is a personal choice though and there are some on this forum that use straighteners. It's ultimately up to you. Before you go back to it though, read all the great advice they have for curlies. Try the articles section too.

CindyLea1
May 16th, 2009, 01:24 PM
DANG! I love all those curls.

As, I have only straight, maybe wavy hair I have no suggestions. Do a search for curly hair and I'm sure you will have good luck.

And I am sure someone will be along shortly.

manderly
May 16th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I think pretty much everyone hated their natural hair prior to walking away from the heat stylers when we came here.

I blowfried mine DAILY to smooth it out into a under-flippy thing. Trust me, when I stopped doing that I had severe withdrawls and hate for what I saw as ugly poof. Heck, how could I not hate the hair I'd been fighting with for years? Baby steps have brought me to love the natural texture of my hair :)

But get rid of the iron. Now. Mine lived in my car trunk for about 2 years before it was allowed back in the house.

ETA: And I can't type you because you say your hair is full of oil. Unfortunately, with hairtyping, you need to post a photo of your hair in all it's poofy, dry glory. I would guess you're like me, a 2b/2c though :)

wackyredtangles
May 16th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Those curls are gorgeous!

Most curls love moisture, so the coconut oil is a great choice. Usually I do a deep oil treatment the night before I wash, wash, braid, and dab a bit onto the braids. Besides that I don't do much, sometimes I use some leave in conditioner, or if I'm styling to wear down I use some mouse or spray gel. Benign neglect. =)

GlassEyes
May 16th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I think you typed yourself properly. You have spiral action going there.

You might want to look into leave-ins, or even the Curly Girl method of hair care. CO washes will probably become your friend. Just let me dig up the article...

Edit: Nevermind, this is better. xD

http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair

Furiana
May 16th, 2009, 03:22 PM

You might want to look into leave-ins, or even the Curly Girl method of hair care. CO washes will probably become your friend. Just let me dig up the article...

Edit: Nevermind, this is better. xD

http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair

Listen to the man. You've never seen curls like his! :bigeyes:

Rohele
May 16th, 2009, 05:19 PM
You've got lots of good advice already. I agree moisture is your friend when you've got curls. CO washing and jojoba/olive oil have been a lifesaver for me. There's tons of advice in the wurly and curly thread too.

I just wanted to say that your hair looks so much like mine, I was stunned (yours is maybe a little curlier around the back than mine is though). I even used to have the same haircut as your first pic and straightened mine too. (Ended up chopping it into a bob before I started growing this time).

You have very pretty hair! Just hang in there for a while and try some new things out - there's lots of us who have given up the flat iron, and can offer suggestions!

manderly
May 16th, 2009, 07:59 PM

Nah, my hair spirals when loaded down with oils. I don't think she'd get such perfect spirals with no product. Though if she didn't have oil in her hair, I'd wholeheartedly agree with the 2c/3a. :flower:

spidermom
May 16th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Beautiful spiral action. I like it much better than the straight as a stick look. But I used to straighten mine too (only once or twice a month, though). I think CWC with diluted shampoo is the way to go; nice clean hair, no drying your ends out. And coconut oil is excellent; keep using it. You can use it very lightly as a leave-in or more heavily the day (or several hours) before you plan to wash your hair.

Teazel
May 16th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Oh, I envy your curls. Please ditch the flat iron! If you learn to take care of your hair properly I think you'll grow to love it the way it naturally is. :flower:

Paper Moon
May 16th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Thank you so much for all the great advice, links, and compliments! you sure know how to make a girl feel welcome :)

I probably mistyped, those curl photos were after I washed. I had done a deep conditioning the night before, and I left coconut oil in all night. But that was freshly washed :) it wasn't totally dry though.

However those nice spirals only stayed on the bottom tier of hair. The top right now, after a long day of work is fooooooofy... it's like my hair grows OUT instead of down >:O grah!

I will search for curl info and I'm already reading about CO :) I'll keep everyone posted with progress!

Fifty-Five
May 16th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Good. =3 Avoid the iron! Remember: iron spelled backward is 'nori', and there's NEVER been anything named 'nori' that was good for hair! =B

Renbirde
May 17th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Good. =3 Avoid the iron! Remember: iron spelled backward is 'nori', and there's NEVER been anything named 'nori' that was good for hair! =B

Hmm. Dunno-- irons are definitely bad news, but doesn't seaweed have lots of protein? Wouldn't that be good for hair growth? (Of course, the amount of nori you would have to eat to make any difference would likely be ridiculous...)

manderly
May 17th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Hmm. Dunno-- irons are definitely bad news, but doesn't seaweed have lots of protein? Wouldn't that be good for hair growth? (Of course, the amount of nori you would have to eat to make any difference would likely be ridiculous...)

LOL, I was going to say the same thing. Nori is seaweed and it's considered to be quite good for hair :flower:

misstwist
May 17th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Beautiful curls!!

For frizz control look into Kimberlilly's defrizzing spray. I use a tiny bit of coconut oil and and little more aloe vera gel mixed in my hand, but I don't think that is entirely her recipe. Maybe someone else will post it or post a link, since I can't find one.

ETA: Aloe Vera gel by itself is good for smoothing frizzies around the face in an updo. I just squirt a little on my hands, rub together to distribute and smooth over my skull. Using coconut oil in combo with the avg for that leaves my roots looking too greasy.

Your curl and length would look gorgeous twisted up from the nape as one would start a french twist and clipped at the top with a claw clamp or secured with a barrette, leaving the curls to fountain over the top.

For something a little more polished you might learn the french twist. There are several methods to achieve it.

Welcome and good luck!

rhubarbarin
May 17th, 2009, 10:22 AM
I think you have gorgeous curls!

I totally don't understand why you (and so many other women I know with curls, waves, and natural body) want it stick straight so badly you will go through all the work of blow drying, round brushing, ironing.. I have always had curly hair and always liked it. Keep reading LHC and trying to work with what you have and maybe you can grow to accept and then love yours.

My hair was very unruly at your length and I had to weight it down with tons of product. It was also impossible to get second-day hair. The longer it gets, the easier it is to manage.

I am incapable of hair-typing, sorry! I think yours will look a lot like Eowyn's when it's long, though.

manderly
May 17th, 2009, 03:09 PM
If it helps you get down with your curls any, haven't you noticed that the "style" has gone from stick straight to waves and curls on celebrities everywhere? Now you can let your hair be au naturale and have celebrity hair. :D

Melisande
May 17th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I'm seriously envious of your beautiful natural hair structure. How anyone could prefer the ironed look is beyond me. Maybe my coming-of-age in the BigBadHair Eighties spoiled my optic nerve forever - but I LOVE your spiral curls.

Btw - I have frizz, too, although I have straight hair. It depends on the weather, the washing frequency etc. I mist my hair with a mixture of distilled water and a little oil, and that helps calm down the frizz.

I'm very curious how you hair will develop over time. I'm sure we have here a potential super-stunner .... and I would love to have such hair.

Paper Moon
May 17th, 2009, 09:50 PM
For frizz control look into Kimberlilly's defrizzing spray. I use a tiny bit of coconut oil and and little more aloe vera gel mixed in my hand, but I don't think that is entirely her recipe. Maybe someone else will post it or post a link, since I can't find one.

Thank you so much! I do like the coconut oil very well, and will definitely look into that aloe vera gel :)

My hair was very unruly at your length and I had to weight it down with tons of product. It was also impossible to get second-day hair. The longer it gets, the easier it is to manage.

YES. I think it's this stage that's getting me the most, because I've never seen such poofy, out of control mess in my life. It stays tamed like in my photos for about an hour - then it's done. I can NOT get second day hair. it's always hat or braid day.

Btw - I have frizz, too, although I have straight hair. It depends on the weather, the washing frequency etc. I mist my hair with a mixture of distilled water and a little oil, and that helps calm down the frizz.

I have read a lot here about people that mist with some mixtures of either oil and water, or watered down conditioner. I think I will try this instead of just misting with water, or putting more product in it - which right now tends to make it crunchy and worse.

I'd really like it below my BSL, and see if the extra weight flattens it out. I surely hope it does :)

Melisande
May 17th, 2009, 10:02 PM
You will find your routine and your ideal products, I'm sure, and it willl help you deal with your hair as it is.

Write down the things you try, what works and what doesn't - keeping a blog here on TLHC may help you remember. Then you can tweak your routine until you feel your hair is cared for and looks its best.

JamieLeigh
May 18th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Those curls are gorgeous!!! Welcome to LHC. :flower:

Garnet66
May 18th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Welcome to LHC. I think your hair is very pretty.

Fethenwen
May 18th, 2009, 12:09 PM
My God :thud: Those curls are incredible, I think growing your hair longer will make them even more flattering. Can't give much curly wurly advice though, I don't have any experience in the field.

But welcome to the forums and good luck with your hair!

Fifty-Five
May 20th, 2009, 10:17 PM
LOL, I was going to say the same thing. Nori is seaweed and it's considered to be quite good for hair :flower:
.... >.> I'ma have to remember to refer to the dictionary before spelling words backwards D=

manderly
May 21st, 2009, 12:30 AM
.... >.> I'ma have to remember to refer to the dictionary before spelling words backwards D=

LOL, poor thing. No fair when we bust out the Japanese words on ya ;)