PDA

View Full Version : Post baby hair loss????

seethruugirl
May 16th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Hi everyone! I'm not sure really where to post this but, my baby is 4 months old now and suddenly I am having TONS of hair loss. I end up with 5 or 6 fistfulls of hair during my shower. Luckily I have lots of hair but, I'm starting to worry. Even right now at work its just falling out. I think I remember reading that this can be a hormonal thing after having a baby but, I'm not sure and I would really love some opinions or suggestions I can try to keep this from happening. I'm a henna head, I CO, I don't dry my hair, use a wide tooth comb for detangling...can anyone help me or at least ease my worries? This has been happening for about a month now. Thanks so much! Robyn

danacc
May 16th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Your suspicion is correct; it is hormonal. During pregnancy, you shed much less due to hormone production. Once the baby is born, hormone levels return to their pre-pregnancy levels. The follicles that would have otherwise shed during the pregnancy all start to shed. This commonly starts 3 months after the baby is born.

I know it's scary, but it's normal. Your hair should return to normal shed rates 6-12 months after the birth of your lovely baby. Enjoy your baby, and don't worry about your hair. It will be fine.

seethruugirl
May 16th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Thank you so much! I was really starting to worry! I appreciate you getting back to me. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my post! Robyn