PDA

View Full Version : at my wits end (with DD's scalp)

redneckprincess
May 16th, 2009, 09:10 AM
So I dont know if its just her hormones or her level of hygine or a bigger problem. She has all these bumps like pimples but nothing comes out of them, all over around her hair line and maybe about an inch inward. At first I thought oh, @$^% shes got lice, but i keep checking and she deffinetly does not. I have bought her special shampoos, but it only helps if I wash her hair, so Im starting to think that yeah its just her hormones or ph or whatever (she also breaks out real bad all the time on her face, arms and back) but its aggervated by her lack of hygine skills and I sure as heck cant stand in her shower and watch her every day to make sure she washes correctly.
Is there anything else (shampoo or treatment wise) that you think may help. and how do I get her to care about her hair and scalp better?
Thanks
♥ Angie

amaiaisabella
May 16th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Maybe she's having an allergic reaction to the shampoos she's using? I sometimes would get pimples around the scalp if some of the ingredients irritated my scalp. Try to find a shampoo with more natural ingredients, and see if it starts to clear up.

GlassEyes
May 16th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Take her to a dermatologist. There's no saying exactly what it is; it could be an allergic reaction to some product she's using (shampoo, conditioner), or a scalp infection. Either way, I'd not take the risk.

That said, tea tree oil is said to be helpful with a number of scalp issues, as is henna, though I DOUBT you want to go that route. Tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic, and if you oil her scalp every so often, it may help. Still, it's better to know for sure EXACTLY what it is, so at the least, take her to her normal doctor, but a derm would be better.

Also, if she has poor hygiene, you may HAVE to watch her like a hawk. If she's really young, she'll probably grow out of it, but you still might want to make sure. xD

Speckla
May 16th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Maybe she's not scrubbing her scalp enough. I get little bumps and sometimes whiteheads if I don't rinse all my shampoo or conditioner off my scalp. Maybe you could get her a scalp massager if it is her not thorough cleansing her scalp. Does she had buildup on her scalp? Run a fingernail (not hard) along her scalp (away from a sore) and see if you get a lot of gunky buildup under your nail. That's how I know mine isn't rinsed well enough.

spidermom
May 16th, 2009, 10:45 AM
It could be allergy. My DD is allergic to coconut products - try finding a shampoo or conditioner that doesn't contain it - close to impossible. We've had to try many different products but finally found one that she tolerates. You might have to do the same (but I hope not; what a pain!).

You might offer to shampoo her hair for her once every week to 10 days or so to see if improved hygiene clears this up. You could get her a squirt bottle or save an empty shampoo or conditioner bottle so she can shake her shampoo up in some warm water, then squirt it all over her scalp. My hair is so thick that I had to use lots of shampoo to get good coverage all over my scalp until I learned this trick. It no longer takes much shampoo to get my entire scalp clean.

Madame J
May 16th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Actually, my sister just went in to the doctor with similar bumps under her *down there* hair, and the doctor told her it was from not washing well enough. You might need to monitor her showers to make sure she's actually washing her scalp and not just the length of her hair.

Teacherbear
May 16th, 2009, 12:23 PM
It sounds to me like an allergic reaction, if it is all over. Have you considered using soap based shampoos vs. commercial (drug store available) shampoos?

Maelyssa
May 16th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I have a 12yr old daughter & from reading your previous posts they seem to share some of the same issues. My daughter got these bumps when she started wearing a hat all the time or a bandana...she'd get it all around her hairline & on her forehead.

I think around that age they still want to be a bit lazy because their minds are still part kid but their bodies are growing & changing & they have to learn to take better care of themselves.
I know it's corny but American Girl sells a book called 'The Body Book for Girls' & it's great in teaching them how important it is to take special care of their changing body. It's made for 8-12yr old girls. It really helped make it seem more fun to my daughter so now she seems to enjoy treating herself better.

I know others here mentioned allergy which I'd check out too but you may want to invest in a Tea Tree shampoo for her like Giovanni. I was at Walmart yesterday & they have started carrying it...so does Target, Walgreens, CVS, RiteAid, etc.
It's a few dollars more expensive but it'll be worth her clearing it all up.

Also I saw you mention in other posts about her issue with her curls.
My daughter had this same issue for years. At about 3rd grade the other girls in school got increasingly jealous of all the attention her curls drew from adults & it started what ended up being her coming home in tears every day for 3 years & wanting to be homeschooled.
What I can tell you is that the more she tried to change herself & fit in the insults & picking didn't stop. It only got worse until they finally
were saying other horrible things about her & the school got involved.

In all of that time what did happen is I worked very hard with her to develop confidence & self esteem. I also helped her manage her curls to the point that grown women are stopping her in the streets to tell her how badly they wished they had her hair.
There are tricks to waves & curls that don't work with straight hair.
Waves & curls look horrid when you brush them out after they dry.
Lots of moisture to tame them & combing when wet are the biggest things plus a good leave in conditioner & maybe some oiling.
Also my daughter doing her hair at night before bed & then braiding it to sleep really helped her out because now it's so easy to do in the morning for her.
I know it's not yet shoulder length so she hates her curls but gently remind her often how in a year or so all those straighties will be getting perms & curling irons to have curls too.
Get her pictures of famous teen stars & get her some teen magazines...tons of the cool & trendy or even sexy styles are waves or curls.
Let her know that the bullying will never stop if she gives in to constant peer pressure...the more she is willing to change about herself the more those other girls will push her to do until in later years they'll be telling her to be doing horrible things that you want her to be able to stand up against & not just go with the crowd.

This wasn't meant as a lecture. I just happened to see some of your other posts & since this was about your daughter I wanted to let you know that I've been in your shoes & here's something that truly did work.
Preteen girls can be a lot to handle. I hope some of this may work for you. :D

Alia
May 16th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Didn't she recently have her hair straightened? Maybe, she is allergic to the solution.

akurah
May 16th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Take her to a dermatologist and get her allergy tested.

Also, depending on how old she is, you may be having her wash too frequently, which can also cause irritation. My mother washed me only once a week until I was about 9 years old, with exceptions for times where I got extra dirty from mucking in mud or swimming in a river.

jera
May 16th, 2009, 03:46 PM
It sounds like Lichen Planus, but it would take a dermatologist to tell you that for sure. What's her diet like? Macrobiotic foods can help with a myriad of skin ailments. Good luck. :)

Toadstool
May 16th, 2009, 04:24 PM
To me it sounds like seborrheic dermatitis, I have the same so if it isn't seb derm would be very interested to learn what it really is!

Kirin
May 16th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Sounds to me like my daughter, who for the past three or so years, just never really bathes. Hormones kick in, and they just don't keep up with the washing. There's no sure fire way to make them wash, or get them to....... if its out there, my husband and I haven't found it yet.

The only thing I know is when they start getting interested in boys, or someone starts making fun of the hygene, they start washing, eventually.

joyellen
May 16th, 2009, 08:34 PM
This happened to me and it turned out to be an allergic reaction to the shampoo and conditioner I was using. I'd switch her shampoo and conditioner, and if it doesn't clear up, take her to a dermatologist.

tinker bug
May 17th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I just recently treated the same problem on my own scalp, but my blemishes would bleed and sometimes ooze pus. WAY disgusting I know. I tried ACV rinses, they worked great, you could have her add some in her shampoo. ACV works because it kills off fungus that might be causing the blemishes. Also, make sure she isn't taking hot showers (luke warm at the hottest) because that can dry out her scalp and cause it to over-produce oils that might be making the spots. It also might help with her acne. Sally's sells a very gentile shampoo called Hair One that is sulfate free, and won't aggrevate her scalp if she has any open sores. Again, if all else fails, go to the dermatologist, I just wanted to give you some cheap ideas incase you're in my boat and have little to no insurance coverage. I wish you both the best of luck in resolving this painful problem!

Heavenly Locks
May 18th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Could it be a reaction to her chemical straightener?

GoddesJourney
May 18th, 2009, 02:49 AM
I used to get this as a teenager but I don't remember exactly when it went away. I have very oily hair, so maybe it was something like acne/irritation that was hormone related. Mine didn't itch or anything so I'm assuming that there's nothing wrong with it, just a phase. I remember seeing some of the guys with this as well. They typically had "shaved" heads so you could see some red bumps close to the hair line.

redneckprincess
May 20th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Didn't she recently have her hair straightened? Maybe, she is allergic to the solution.
this has been going on since LONG before that, lol
and yes we change her shampoo all the time,
What is ACV rince?

Maelyssa
May 20th, 2009, 01:40 PM
ACV rinse is apple cider vinegar rinse.
You take a little of that & dilute it in water. I do about 20% of the vinegar to 80% water.
After she shampoos have her rinse with the acv then go on & condition like normal.
The rinse helps with scalp issues & also helps for general hair health & shine.
Good luck!

Dez
May 20th, 2009, 02:04 PM
I had something similar happen when i was 13 and tried herbal essences for the first time. Maybe she's allergic to one type of ingredient? I know my cousin is allergic to alluminum which is in alot of hygiene products. I'd say try a dermatologist.

But if you think that it's just she's not washing her hair good, well i'm a big believer in natural consequences. Teach her once or twice on the weekend how to scrub her hair. Then let her know it's up to her to keep it up. If she doesn't then eventually having to deal with that and wanting to be clean and pretty smelling and getting interested in boys will motivate her to be cleaner. But i'd make sure it's not something else first because it would be sad if she's going through that and nothing she does even scrubbing right will help.

GeoJ
May 20th, 2009, 02:29 PM
My husband gets a problem that sounds like that when he is under a lot of chronic stress. He is healthy, other than having too much job stress, and does not have any product allergies.

I hope you find out what the problem is soon so that you can fix it.

:)