PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Wear Their Hair

lhangel9
May 15th, 2009, 09:15 PM
in Non-protective styles and it still grows just as fast? I've seen many posts about wearing your hair in protective styles. However there are some who swear by not wearing protective styles year round and yet their hair still grows healthier and longer than ever. Although they do still moisturize and condition the ends. I was just wondering cause I'm so tired of protective styling. I need a change...what to do:confused:

fishwich
May 15th, 2009, 09:27 PM
My hair grows at about the same rate whether I wear it up or not--about half an inch a month.

...okay, on a non-snarky note I'd say that it's your hair, you grew it all on your own, and you are morally obligated to wear it in the way that gives you the most pleasure. :) Wearing it loose may mean more wear and tear and possibly (possibly!) more breakage, but chances are you'll still be gaining length, especially if you don't heat-style or chemically color it and give the ends some TLC.

Wear your hair down if you like, soak up the compliments, and have a lovely time. Your hair does not need to be in absolutely perfect condition to be beautiful, or to make you happy.

lhangel9
May 15th, 2009, 10:10 PM
fishwich that is such an inspiring and wonderful reply!!!!!! I'm going to listen to you and wear it down (more often). Can never have enough compliments. Every time I wear it down I always get compliments. When I wear it up, people think that my hair is short and that defeats the purpose. Thanks again - your hear looks just great also!!! If only I could get mine to look 1/2 as good!!

Sarahmoon
May 15th, 2009, 10:19 PM
I think my hair grows at the same rate as well but it looks less nice when I leave it loose every day, for example. I usually pick the right day for a non protective style (no rain, no wind, not going out in the sun with wet hair etc.)
Wearing it down won't do too much damage if you don't do it on the days you go swimming at the beach ;)

rose_in_bloom
May 15th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Yes, I have been wearing my hair down more and more recently due to headaches. And I've been getting compliments every time I wear it down! :D And that makes me happy. I find that CO washing helps me to have fewer tangles when I wear it down. And whenever I wear it down I lightly oil my ends with coconut oil or shea butter. That helps my hair a lot.

However, if it's windy or bad weather, I definitely put my hair up and away. Otherwise I get massive tangles and I can't stand that.

So let your hair be long and loose and enjoy every minute of it! :)

florenonite
May 16th, 2009, 07:01 AM
I've been wearing my hair down recently, and it's just occurred to me that that might be why it's been growing really slowly over the past few months (due to breakage, that is). That said, I'd rather have slow-growing hair that I can wear down and enjoy than always wear my hair up and have it grow quickly but not see many benefits of the growth.

I wonder if maybe this contributes to my fast growth over the summer. Maybe my hair naturally grows at about 1" a month, but because it's up about 24/7 in the summer I don't break off that growth ... I doubt it, but it would be interesting if that were the case.

Ultimately, do what makes you happy. If you want to wear your hair down, do so. If you want it to be long and healthy, you might need to baby it more than someone who wears their hair up, and you might need to trim or S&D more often, but I maintain that there's no point in having long hair (or any hair length, for that matter) if you don't enjoy it.

Firefly
May 16th, 2009, 07:16 AM
I have gained length whether I wear it loose or up... and I do wear it loose quite a bit. For me, part of the joy of having long hair is being able to wear it down! :)

amaiaisabella
May 16th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Honestly, for me, I see it as how damaged your hair is to begin with. You're not going to want to damage it further by wearing it down, and thus inhibit growth, with continually breaking ends. OTOH, if your hair is more healthy, then you can alternate between wearing it down and pulling it up, whatever your preference. As my hair gets in better shape, I find myself wearing it down more, but only until summer hits. The heat in South Florida is not pretty :)

spidermom
May 16th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I'd wear my hair down more if it didn't get into everything, tangle like crazy, or make me so hot. There are more reasons to wear hair up than merely to protect it. Sometimes it can be a safety hazard.

Torrin Paige
May 16th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Mine grows regardless. When I'm around the house, it's almost always up during the day as, like spidermom, it invariably gets tangled in all manner of things. So it's up in some way or another as I go about my daily routine. However when I go run errands and whatnot, weather permitting, it's usually down or in a half-up style. I have long hair because I love long hair and love wearing it down. I fully admit to enjoying the compliments and whatnot the people give me when it's down. Sometimes a girl needs a kind word every now and then for the old ego, you know?

jel
May 16th, 2009, 09:23 AM
I don't think that healthy hair will be so easily broken at the ends just from wearing it down. It's more likely that the breakage will occur from metal-tipped hair elastics or twisting in the same direction and style every day. ETA: or harsh brushing through tangles.

On the other hand, if the hair is that damaged that ends keep breaking off, maybe it's better to trim them off and enjoy healthy ends. And this is coming from a dedicated non-trimmer! ;)

I also agree with Spidermom about wearing hair up - I don't do it solely for protecting the ends, but more often for keeping it contained.

Jessikinz
May 16th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Mine grows just as long with or without it being up and protected. I leave my hair down 90% of the time. But when I'm doing things such as cooking, laundry, and cleaning, it is always up so that I'm not getting it in things like food etc.

Forever_Sophie
May 16th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Mine grows just as fast, regardless of styles. In fact, I hate wearing my hair up and when I'm at home, it's only braided so it isn't in my way when I'm playing w/ my bunny LOL

No protective styles for me...But really, I wouldn't bother growing my hair out if I had to always/often hide the length.

inertia
May 16th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Mine grows the same when it's down. I have dyed hair so I always know exactly how much it's really growing at the roots and how the overall length change compares to that, and it's the same.
I haven't yet tried to grow it much past TB so I don't know if that would make a difference.

I keep it out of the way on casual days and at home with low ponytails. Updos make my scalp sore so I avoid them except during the summer. And I have super-layered hair (my layers start at neck-length) so braids are impossible.

For me, wearing my hair loose is the whole point of having long hair. If I was going to keep it up all the time, I'd rather have BSL.

lhangel9
May 16th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Thanks Sarahmoon - look at that shine in your hair! Love it!!

lhangel9
May 16th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Many, many thanks to all of you ladies. You're such an encouragement! Your hair is lovely and I believe that by taking your advice I can't go wrong;);) Although I'm a newbie, I plan on having a very long relationship with LHCH! You really rock! Thanks again!!

enfys
May 16th, 2009, 03:41 PM
I don't wear my hair loose very oten at all, except when it's drying. However, I wear a metal-joined hairband almost every day and still get over an inch of growth a month.

I do wear them in different places, sometimes high, sometimes low and not too tight. It works for me, so I haven't stopped doing it.

sneakybea
May 16th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I wear my hair up most of the time, and it grows faster than it used to when I didn't. On the other hand, when you wear your hair up, you can't see how much length you have gained, so maybe it just seems like it grows faster. I'm a big believer in wearing your hair how you want to, rather than being obsessed over protecting it; otherwise you won't be enjoying it, and where's the fun in that?

LittleOrca
May 16th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I only wear my loose now when I want to show it off... I cant help it, I like to sometimes. :) At home though or when it is too hot or windy it goes up! It grew to the length it is now with just being down, but I think that keeping it up will help me, at least, since it wont get caught in my computer chair anymore.

Dementia1013
May 16th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I think everything in moderation is the way to go. Of course we all know that leaving our hair down all the time can be damaging, though I read that constantly putting your hair up can be just as damaging. Braiding your locks too much or having too tight of buns for long periods of time can give you wicked split ends.

ravenreed
May 16th, 2009, 11:32 PM
I got to waist length while dyeing my hair AND wearing it down 95% of the time. It was only when I wanted to get to tb that I started wearing it up more and went to a gentler demi-permanent dye. If I couldn't wear my hair down, I don't think I would be interested in investing the time in it.

JamieLeigh
May 18th, 2009, 10:04 AM
I admit, I do wear mine down a lot more lately, and in braids. Braids aren't very protective at all...they rub on your back and can cause breakage where the rubber band secures the end.

I'm sure my hair isn't growing as fast and doesn't look nearly as healthy as it could. But I love it anyway. :)

chickpea
May 18th, 2009, 10:52 AM
I'd wear my hair down more if it didn't get into everything, tangle like crazy, or make me so hot. There are more reasons to wear hair up than merely to protect it. Sometimes it can be a safety hazard.

yes, definitely! There are many times when I put my hair up because I just want it out of the way.

I was stuck between BSL and waist for a long time, mainly due to damage from chemical dyes. I don't know if wearing my hair up during that period would have prevented it from breaking off at the ends. I do think wearing my hair up more often than down helps to protect the ends, but learning to care for it better made more of a difference for me.

Deborah
May 18th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Sure it will grow just as fast, but it may not grow as long, or be in excellent health that way. It's all about choices. :)

Curlsgirl
May 18th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I can't really tell but I do wear it down a lot especially in the winter. However, I get headaches a lot with updos. I do where it up when it is windy or something though to keep it from getting tangled. I am also careful with it all the time to keep it from getting caught or anything.

freznow
May 18th, 2009, 01:28 PM
There are many factors to consider. Such as:
How long are you aiming for? If it's not past tailbone or so, most people will be okay with wearing it down often, depending. If you're going for longer, the damage would probably get too great by that point.
How strong is your hair? And how much is there? Someone with coarse hair will show less damage than with fine hair.
What do you typically do in a day? If you sit somewhere or do something where hair is likely to get grabbed or rubbed, it will be happier up. For instance, I can't wear my hair down at school, or else the hair-eating chairs eat it.

Your goal says 78. If that's in inches, that's what, past floor? You'd have to do a lot of wearing up to get to there. But I suspect you mean cm, which means waist length or so? You should be okay wearing it down till then, I would think.

lora410
May 18th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I do not wear my hair up to to help it grow or to protect it. I wear my hair 50/50. At work I keep it up so it doesn't get in my way and at home and on weekends it is down. No point in growing hair if you have to keep it up all the time :shrug:

ButterCup02
May 18th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I usually wear it up during the week, and down on weekends :) I love how it looks down!