PDA

View Full Version : The Poof: yea or nay

BirdieGene
May 15th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I've been messing with my hair all day, looking for something different than my standard bun. I have an event coming up and I'd like to do something with a little more "oomph". So I tried the poof...and it's a little, well, poofy. I've seen lots of other young ladies doing this, but, I'm not so sure. What do you think, are you pro or anti poof? Do you poof your hair?

neon-dream
May 15th, 2009, 02:48 PM
What do you mean by poof?

BirdieGene
May 15th, 2009, 02:57 PM
To make "the poof" take a segment of hair behind your bangs and twist it up leaving a few inches untwisted near the scalp. Roll it up around your fingers and pin it to your scalp, fan out the untwisted portion to create a little (or big) bump. Then comb the front portion over the bump using a boar bristle brush leaving a smooth finish. It kinda looks like the bump it commercials that are all over the television where I live....If I find a way to make it halfway decent I'll post some pictures tomorrow. Sorry to be vague, I guess I'm just going through a little hair anxiety.

RancheroTheBee
May 15th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Do you mean one of these?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/dangerbitch/finishedfront.jpg

I usually get that by separating the front section of the hair and puffing up the roots by gently rubbing the scalp and moving the fingers upwards, then adding hairspray.

If that's too big for you, grab the section of hair, pull it back into position and then moving it forward a bit and securing.

I can add a diagram if you like.

ETA: Oh, my God. I had just finished making this elaborate picture tutorial when I realized you already knew how to do one, and you were just asking for opinions. *facepalm*

In response to your question, I am pro-poof. Unless your face is super long and angular like mine, in which case you might want to just leave some pieces hanging out for a less severe look.

spidermom
May 15th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I'm not a fan of the poof, although variety can be nice. I have been known to push my bun upward before securing it to give a bit more fullness on top (to combat the "skinned-back" look).

plainjanegirl
May 15th, 2009, 03:19 PM
I like the poof and have seen alot of girls come up with interesting looking poofs. The poof can make buns look so much less stern.
But myself I don't wear the poof in my hair cause I can't get it secure, my hair will just flop down or start to separate.

jahof45
May 15th, 2009, 03:23 PM
I vote yes, the poof always adds a touch of elegance to a style.

Carolyn
May 15th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I like the look. I've only mastered one style with a poof. But I plan to keep trying.

Gumball
May 15th, 2009, 03:28 PM
I think the poof works for some, but may not for others, and it also may depend on what style the poof is trying to compliment, and sometimes even just the size of the poof itself. It's just one of those "possibly!" styles. As a guy I never feel inclined to wear one. Haha. Still on many I've noticed more unflattering ones than flattering, but that's purely my observation and opinion.

Mary <><
May 15th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I am an anti-poofer, personally. I think it looks more natural sans the poof.

CaraLynn
May 15th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Hijack: RancherotheBee, I am quite jealous of your flawless skin! :) That is all. Return to the discussion of poofs. :end Hijack

Arctic
May 15th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I like them.

kwaniesiam
May 15th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Antipoof. Some people it can be very cute on, but my hair is too thin and fine to get it to even work and it would look ridiculous on me.

Themyst
May 15th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Anti-poof here. But only because I don't think I carry it off very well.

I thought about getting one of those bumpits once, but decided against it.

Speckla
May 15th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I like it.
I like to do it sometimes because my bangs are still to short to wear down all the time - the curl never does the same thing everyday and I get bored with just wearing them pulled back in a plain style.

kdaniels8811
May 15th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I have worn my hair in a small "poof" forever. There is even an article on how to make buns look less severe and how to do it. It is not high or big, just the hair is not skinned flat against my head which looks terrible on me. Just a half inch or so of height and fluffyness around the temples which is flattering to my face shape.

elliebean184
May 15th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I like it on some hair, but mine is too curly/frizzy, so it looks like a hairball.

viking_quest
May 15th, 2009, 05:26 PM
I like poofs as long as they're not on me and aren't too big.

LittleOrca
May 15th, 2009, 05:26 PM
I dislike the poof. It just looks... like a visual for nails on a chalkboard would sound.

fishwich
May 15th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I dig the poof--I can really get into its pompadour rockabilly-ness.

Wearing the poof as part of an ensemble that's meant to be un-ironically elegant...eh, then I think it just starts looking really goofy.

s_tresses
May 15th, 2009, 05:41 PM
That's a cool look. I haven't tried it but I know it wouldn't look good on me because I have a huge forehead.

spidermom
May 15th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I didn't see the picture earlier rancherothebee; cool!

rani
May 15th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I am pro poof! I think it looks very elegant and modern. Just try not to to make it too big or too small (experiment for a bit) and make sure to style the rest of your hair. Also, I've found that barrettes work the best but bobby pins will work find if it is more casual. Good luck!

Starr
May 15th, 2009, 06:40 PM
I love the poof! I like to rock the look occasionally despite the fact that I have really curly hair and my forehead is huge, LOL. . .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/Phate1/Starr/curlz1.jpg

wintersun99
May 15th, 2009, 06:53 PM
"gwen stefani" poof - yes
"yearning for zion" poof - big no

Starr
May 15th, 2009, 07:05 PM
"gwen stefani" poof - yes
"yearning for zion" poof - big no

Bwahahaha!:rolling:

"The higher the hair, the closer to God!":eyebrows:

sneakybea
May 15th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I love your curly hair, Starr, and you're totally rocking the poof!
I think the poof can look good with the right hairstyle, but for me, I usually try to add volume to the sides rather than the top. Maybe my face is too long already or something. That said, I want to try this style someday:http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=24946396
(It's the third picture down---you know, the one that actually shows a picture of a human being! The product itself sounds cool, but I don't blow dry!)

nowxisxforever
May 15th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I dislike the poof. It just looks... like a visual for nails on a chalkboard would sound.

Here, too. Ick.

Ndnlady
May 15th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I am so very anti-poof. It reminds me of when I was in junior high school and all of the girls were poofing up their bangs as high as they could and that was just the style.
It's funny how all the old styles are coming back in the younger generations!
I never liked the look personally.

Melisande
May 16th, 2009, 04:58 AM
On Kate Hepburn, it looks amazing.

http://blog.nj.com/entertainment_impact_celebrities/2007/10/Hepburn1.jpg

On myself, less so. When I was younger, I could pull it off. By now - no. My face is too round and too mature for it....

But I don't dislike the look on others.

florenonite
May 16th, 2009, 06:54 AM
It depends on the face shape and the height of the poof. A small poof can be flattering on some face shapes, though I don't like the big ones. Any poof on my long face, however, just looks weird.

The Katharine Hepburn one posted above is lovely!

rhubarbarin
May 16th, 2009, 07:21 AM
I think they look really cute on some people (Ranchero looks adorable!), on other people it just reminds me of a cockatoo. It must have something to do with face shape..

If you think it looks good, go with it!

Upside Down
May 16th, 2009, 07:40 AM

I usually get that by separating the front section of the hair and puffing up the roots by gently rubbing the scalp and moving the fingers upwards, then adding hairspray.

If that's too big for you, grab the section of hair, pull it back into position and then moving it forward a bit and securing.

ETA: Oh, my God. I had just finished making this elaborate picture tutorial when I realized you already knew how to do one, and you were just asking for opinions. *facepalm*

In response to your question, I am pro-poof. Unless your face is super long and angular like mine, in which case you might want to just leave some pieces hanging out for a less severe look.

How about posting it anyway? I really love your poof :)

annie09
May 16th, 2009, 07:41 AM
pro poof here i sometimes do one i love it and i think it makes my face look less round ie fat plus its really in over here.

Sherri
May 16th, 2009, 07:47 AM
RancheroTheBee should do a vid and then we could learn how to make a poof. Mine never turn out that good.

WavyGirl
May 16th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Ranch & Starr looking goood! 8)

I like poofs. They can make a 'do much more interesting visually. I almost always use one if I'm wearing my hair down (well I guess that makes it a half-up?) because my hair is pretty straight near the roots and exhibits it's wavy tendencies at about the level of my ears. Combined with my small forehead this makes my face look very round and kinda swamped by my hair. It also makes freshly washed hair look old because there is no height or body at the roots. The little bit of height the poof allows makes the whole thing much more balanced, plus it keeps my hair out of my eyes.

Maybe you should take some photos to help us reach a descision for you. :eyebrows:

GlassEyes
May 16th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I like it.

I'm not inclined to WEAR ONE, as I'm a guy, and even if I weren't, it'd still look ridiculous on me, but it can look good on others. My sister looks good with one.

helen2806
May 16th, 2009, 09:18 AM
I'm a regular poofer - do it quite a lot as a going out style as I think it looks more interesting than my hair just plain down.

I also like the extra inches of height it gives me, even if it's only 1 or 2 more! :D

Wind
May 16th, 2009, 10:22 AM
I loves me some poof! :D

jojo
May 16th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I love this look but no matter how I try mine always parts in the centre. I like littles ones on me as I have a long face but really love the big ones on other people.

DMARTINEZ
May 16th, 2009, 11:18 AM
I ALWAYS done some sort of poof. I look bad with flat hair on top, wish I didnt,but I do.

Deb

Rhea
May 16th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I like it , when heīs not to big ... so like Katherine Hepburnīs poof .

jahof45
May 16th, 2009, 11:33 AM
For those whose poof parts, try to find a hair rat in your hair color or make one from your shed hair and build your poof over the rat. Sally's Beauty Supplies should carry them.

Alia
May 16th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I like a double poof: hair parted with a moderate poof on each side, which looks very '40s. :)

nayver
May 16th, 2009, 01:45 PM
I love my poof! I don't like to see me with my ponytail and a flat head.

Dorothea
May 16th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I also love the poof. My head looks too flat without some height on the top.

Kafine
May 16th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I usually do a small poof. Without it, my head looks too flat on top.
Plus it adds a small touch of elegance. They have a look about them that is both modern and retro, and you can make it more of either depending on your attire.

AmyJorgensen
May 16th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Well, now I have to at least go try a poof.

GlennaGirl
May 16th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I've been messing with my hair all day, looking for something different than my standard bun. I have an event coming up and I'd like to do something with a little more "oomph". So I tried the poof...and it's a little, well, poofy. I've seen lots of other young ladies doing this, but, I'm not so sure. What do you think, are you pro or anti poof? Do you poof your hair?

Yes!!! I am the queen of poof.

And I have been since the 80s, which may well leave you thinking, "Okay. It IS a bad idea."

But fear not. You can poof in the New Millennium. You just take less hair side-to-side, and you don't poof it up as high. Voila! (I can't make an accent mark on this computer.) The perfect poof.

LindsayNichole
May 17th, 2009, 04:28 AM
I have worn my hair in a small "poof" forever. There is even an article on how to make buns look less severe and how to do it. It is not high or big, just the hair is not skinned flat against my head which looks terrible on me. Just a half inch or so of height and fluffyness around the temples which is flattering to my face shape.

Could you please share said article?

I don't like much poof, and have never found any that looks good on me. On the other hand, I don't know what I'm doing either. :P But I do like this (http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/File:Jules_%26_Good.jpg) and this (http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/lostpedia/images/a/aa/MomentsbeforedeathEdmund.jpg). It's not really what I'd call poofy, but not flat against the head, either. Her hair is back in a braid in the second one. I can't figure out how to do it like that, though.

GlennaGirl
May 17th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Well, now I have to at least go try a poof.

Try it! Once you go poof you never go back, that's what I say.

Google Pictures the phrase Duff puff to get a lot of "modern-look" poofs, but it's flexible as far as the amount of hair you use and how high you go. ETA: Or Duff Puff hair. Here is a results page: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&um=1&sa=1&q=duff+puff+hair&btnG=Search+Images&aq=f&oq=

Katze
May 17th, 2009, 09:33 AM
My hair poofs even if I don't want it to because it is much thicker at the roots than at the ends. Lately I have been exploring ways to use this to its advantage, but it always looks VERY 80s on me.

FWIW I think ironic, rockabilly, or even 80s poofs are better than non ironic trying-to-be-glamorous ones. Some celebrities have the most terrible beehive poof things that just make them look cheap, and where I live many young women copy this look, especially with ratted or dyed hair, and it looks very bad.

melrose1985
May 17th, 2009, 09:35 AM
I do the poof. I like it on me. I just dont go as big as the first picture posted.

florenonite
May 17th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I've seen a couple curlies say they don't do it because their hair's curly, but I think it often looks best with curly hair. On straight hair, a poof can look odd if the hair's flat on either side of the head. Conversely, on curly hair a lack of poof can look odd if it means that the hair is plastered to the head at the top and then curly at the sides.

kdaniels8811
May 17th, 2009, 09:59 AM
My "pouf" is a result of putting my hair in a half up, then the rest get twisted into a bun. Just the most flattering look for me. I have been making a french twist lately, which gives me awesome bun waves!

jahof45
May 17th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I would love to see more photos of all poofs mentioned by the pro-poof side.

GlennaGirl
May 17th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I would love to see more photos of all poofs mentioned by the pro-poof side.

"Pro-pouf," LOL!!! OK, let me find something........

Penelope Cruz with a great big'un (http://www.hairfinder.com/celebrityhairstyles/penelope-cruz.jpg). I do this style a lot too; it's really just a pouffed half-up.

Pouf on top with the sides also somewhat pouffed (http://images.nymag.com/images/2/daily/entertainment/08/06/03_duffilymoore_lgl.jpg)...interesting! The things you find.

A little bitty one (http://blogs.hairboutique.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/kimkardashianleatherlace_250h1.jpg) nestled in wavy hair. (Although my hair isn't wavy, this is the size/style of pouff I generally wear, when I do pouf.)

Standard-issue (http://media.photobucket.com/image/hair&#37;20pouf/be_byte6/Hair%20-%20Long/HAIR-long3009.jpg) New Millennium pouf.

Whole lotta pouf (http://blogs.hairboutique.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/maggiegrace_mrdc_556971_250h.jpg) in an evening style.

Evening pouf. (http://mtblog.glamour.com/beauty/blogs/girls-in-the-beauty-department/2008/11/10/1110-glam_hair_3_bd.jpg)

Okay, I'm all pouffed out.

ccmuffingirl
May 17th, 2009, 03:20 PM
It works well for some people (especially in the case of the emo and rockabilly-styled people) but as for me, NO. I could never pull it off, nor will I try :D.

jahof45
May 17th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks for all the poof photos. Now I'm too poofed to poof or even practice poof so right now I'm poofless. LOL

Tangles
May 17th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I love it, I think it flatters almost everyone and adds more sex appeal to a simple bun or braid.

smerrie
May 17th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I personally love the look! Though I think it takes a certain *look* to pull it off well! I don't think I can, my face is a bit too long, sadly.

Heavenly Locks
May 18th, 2009, 12:57 AM
I'm a poofer :) Especially when my bangs are too long and I need a trim ;)

Poof it up!

Alun
May 18th, 2009, 02:20 AM
As an expat Brit, I'd just like to point out that the P word is a derogatory term for a gay male in the UK, and not a hair term atall. Allegedly it's only a mild slur, but is there really such a thing as a mild derogatory name?

No, I'm not inclined that way, so not personally offended. 'Do the math', though. We have about 10% males, and Kinsey reckonned that 5% of men are gay, seems a bit high to me, but that could be 1/2 % of the membership who might be gay males. How many of those are Brits or understand British slang I'm not too sure, but there are probably some. Of course, I'm sure they know you're really talking about hair ...

OTOH, read all the posts again with this meaning, and you can see that there are definitely some Brits sniggering at you out there somewhere, but just not saying anything.

Two nations divided by a common language, as always.

florenonite
May 18th, 2009, 04:49 AM
As an expat Brit, I'd just like to point out that the P word is a derogatory term for a gay male in the UK, and not a hair term atall. Allegedly it's only a mild slur, but is there really such a thing as a mild derogatory name?

No, I'm not inclined that way, so not personally offended. 'Do the math', though. We have about 10% males, and Kinsey reckonned that 5% of men are gay, seems a bit high to me, but that could be 1/2 % of the membership who might be gay males. How many of those are Brits or understand British slang I'm not too sure, but there are probably some. Of course, I'm sure they know you're really talking about hair ...

OTOH, read all the posts again with this meaning, and you can see that there are definitely some Brits sniggering at you out there somewhere, but just not saying anything.

If I had seen this thread in the "New Posts" section (where I don't really check the forum a given thread's in) rather than in The Mane Forum I would have been mildly shocked.

And, yeah, I've been trying to avoid sniggering at this, because I know it's about hair.

LindsayNichole
May 18th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Lol, thanks for the lesson in Britishisms! ;) I think it's definitely a good thing to know some of these to avoid inadvertently offending. I find the differences fascinating, and have picked up a few (non-derogatory) Britishisms myself just for the fun of it. Well, some I've picked up unintentionally from watching and reading enough British stuff, but </rabbit trail>

crystal_89
May 18th, 2009, 05:55 AM
I'm a fan of a slight hair poof and a high ponytail worn with lots of makeup.

Also... I live in Australia and have heard my English-as-a-second-language dad refer to gay males as 'poofs'... but that type of 'poof' was not the first type of poof to pop into my head on a hair forum :)

GlennaGirl
May 18th, 2009, 08:48 AM

I have never heard of this. Although I have been laughed by a Brit or two when I've referred to some person or other who ha hair down to her fanny.

However, obviously no ill will was intended when anyone here not "in the know" mentioned the word pouf. And it is an actual word that actually means fluffed up, so... :)

Curlsgirl
May 18th, 2009, 08:58 AM
I love it but I can't get it to work for me. :confused:

florenonite
May 18th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I have never heard of this. Although I have been laughed by a Brit or two when I've referred to some person or other who ha hair down to her fanny.

However, obviously no ill will was intended when anyone here not "in the know" mentioned the word pouf. And it is an actual word that actually means fluffed up, so... :)

:spitting:at "hair down to her fanny"! :D

A friend of mine is going to Spain over the summer, and her mum has told her she needs to get a "bum bag". As she was going on about this, I suddenly said "that's a fanny pack, right?" Hilarity ensued

young&reckless
May 18th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Anti-poof here. Sorry it just looks so alien to me.

Sheltie_Momma
May 18th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Anybody else ever do a reverse puff? I have wild hair, so sometimes I sort of smooth some out at the very front and put it back or to the side in a barrette then it is the very front that is smooth and the rest that is puffy.

annie09
May 18th, 2009, 11:22 AM
:D*still giggling at hair down to her FANNY*( i'm so childish)

cleanbug
May 18th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I like the poof. Here is a pic of mine. I hope it works...never attached a pic before. If it doesn't show up, you can go to my profile & see the pics under "my hair journey".

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=3024&pictureid=39495

HairColoredHair
May 18th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I am pro little poof for a bit of volume, very anti-big poof.

Makes most people look like cockerels.

ButterCup02
May 18th, 2009, 05:50 PM
I like the poof on some people, not so much on others :) And I don't like the HUUUUGE poofs so much, just a small bump. I do it with my hair sometimes!

CaityBear
May 18th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I like a small poof. I usually do one by just combing my bangs back, twisting and pushing them forward just a bit before bobbypinning them. That way my hair doesn't look so flat.

I am pro-poof I guess. As long as it's not 6 inches high I think they look good.

FullMoonTrim
May 18th, 2009, 10:34 PM

Your hair reminds me of the Irish singer Imelda May....have you heard of her?
This is an amazing song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwmhMzuBA2Y&feature=related

SpecialKitty
May 18th, 2009, 11:10 PM
I didn't realize that style I've been wearing most of my life had a name! I am a doof with a poof.

Samitra
May 19th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I like a small poof. I usually do one by just combing my bangs back, twisting and pushing them forward just a bit before bobbypinning them. That way my hair doesn't look so flat.

I am pro-poof I guess. As long as it's not 6 inches high I think they look good.

What she said :D
It keeps my bangs away from my face, and it looks nice!

wackyredtangles
May 19th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I am pro poof. Maybe there should be a poll? When I think of it I'll take a picture of my hair with a poof.

dragonfrog
May 19th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I am pro little poof for a bit of volume, very anti-big poof.

Makes most people look like cockerels.

I agree with you completely... although I still can't get either to work for me :)

Spike
May 19th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Ok, I blame this thread.

I was muddling with my hair last night; the best time for me to try new do's is just before bed. That way, if it doesn't work the first time, so what? I'm going to bed.

So I was working on a minibun, and didn't like how the bun looked pulled tight, but I can't make it looser without hair falling out . . . aha! A poof!

Parted out a chunk of the front behind where bangs would go, a little twist here, a few pins there, and poof! Much better!

Keeping this im mind for when I have real hair and can do head-eating buns . . .

lora410
May 19th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I do not look good with poof unless it is furth back. I love my bumpits for this :)

Anje
May 19th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I'm a bit anti-poof, myself.

It looks good in some pictures, or when it's well-done. An updo that's a little loose at the top is fine, especially for folks with very wavy or curly hair. Most of the time, though, I think the standard-issue poof makes it look like the person has a misshapen head.

swirlytresses
May 19th, 2009, 02:18 PM
I'm definitely pro poof. I have to agree that poofs don't necessarily look good on everyone though. I look horid without some kind of poof or "bump" (as my kids call it..lol).

Chromis
May 19th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Not my taste, but then I also have a very aggressive part and do not like bangs either.

jojo
June 5th, 2009, 06:42 PM

No, I'm not inclined that way, so not personally offended. 'Do the math', though. We have about 10&#37; males, and Kinsey reckonned that 5% of men are gay, seems a bit high to me, but that could be 1/2 % of the membership who might be gay males. How many of those are Brits or understand British slang I'm not too sure, but there are probably some. Of course, I'm sure they know you're really talking about hair ...

I got a funny look once while in America on holiday saying ' im just going outside to smoke a f a g!' .....enough said!;)

jojo
June 5th, 2009, 06:46 PM

that made me LOL! another experience was doing an american keep fit video and the instructions where ' walk across the floor on your fanny to tighten the area' I was only about 19 at the time and thought how the hell can you walk across the floor on your fanny?' then the penny dropped as I watched further into the tape!!

Just out of interest in the UK we call bags which clip onto the waist a bum bag, in the states do they call them a fanny bag? that is a serious question!

GlassEyes
June 5th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I know the term in both the british and american sense. It's called a 'pomp' in both areas, but a pouf here as well.

Also, I'm not offended. Words have different meanings in different areas. I'm not going to yell at a Brit for bumming a *** (well, I might, but that's because I hate smoking), but if someone america did that...well, I'd probably ask them out on a date. Kidding.

Also, though it's a slang term for gay men in general, it also stands for an effeminate man, which I don't always take as the same thing.

GlennaGirl
June 5th, 2009, 08:25 PM
that made me LOL! another experience was doing an american keep fit video and the instructions where ' walk across the floor on your fanny to tighten the area' I was only about 19 at the time and thought how the hell can you walk across the floor on your fanny?' then the penny dropped as I watched further into the tape!!

Just out of interest in the UK we call bags which clip onto the waist a bum bag, in the states do they call them a fanny bag? that is a serious question!

OMG, I can NOT stop laughing.

Fanny packs? Because that's where they go. On your...American fanny. :p Your rear end. Or sort of on your hip and toward the back.

GlennaGirl
June 5th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I know the term in both the british and american sense. It's called a 'pomp' in both areas, but a pouf here.

Also, I'm not offended. Words have different meanings in different areas. I'm not going to yell at a Brit for bumming a *** (well, I might, but that's because I hate smoking), but if someone america did that...well, I'd probably ask them out on a date. Kidding.

Also, though it's a slang term for gay men in general, it also stands for an effeminate man, which I don't always take as the same thing.

OMG, you guys, stop, please stop...:rolling: I am dyin'....

Krystyle
June 5th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Pro-poof! Except not for myself. I can't seem to pull it off.

rockstarmommy
June 5th, 2009, 08:48 PM
qwetryutikhdjrzt

hellkitty
June 6th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I am pro-poof, but limited. Out here the girls seem to think the higher the poof the better. Some of them look like they have prows of ships mounted on their heads. A small poof can help visually shape a face, especially if the person doesn't like that *skinned* back look.

It reminds me of the awful New Jersey permed floof of bangs that was prevalent in my teen years. A hairstyle I know *I* lived to regret, and I fear this next generation may feel the same way about their overly extravagant poofs.

HK, non-poofer, but pro-concept.

florenonite
June 6th, 2009, 03:09 PM
I know the term in both the british and american sense. It's called a 'pomp' in both areas, but a pouf here.

I've heard it for effeminate men, but usually to the general tune of "you're effeminate, therefore you must be gay, and that's bad." Which, of course, is a ridiculous connection to make.

I am pro-poof, but limited. Out here the girls seem to think the higher the poof the better. Some of them look like they have prows of ships mounted on their heads. A small poof can help visually shape a face, especially if the person doesn't like that *skinned* back look.

It reminds me of the awful New Jersey permed floof of bangs that was prevalent in my teen years. A hairstyle I know *I* lived to regret, and I fear this next generation may feel the same way about their overly extravagant poofs.

HK, non-poofer, but pro-concept.

:spitting:

Pyvsi
June 6th, 2009, 03:22 PM
I like well-done poofs - except when done in excess by lemming masses! A few years ago, it was called the "hump" in my community, and too many young ladies were wearing it - whether it looked good on them or not. Most of them looked like dinosaurs.

eresh
June 6th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Not reeeally a poof, but in the 80's my hair was like this (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_-7SdpoQ_sHs/SC0I-mlFDMI/AAAAAAAAAWs/VCTl_yymAQY/s320/Bangs.jpg) and like this (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3186/2623981692_ce1f1b0a56.jpg?v=0) :D
Haven't worn one since then, but I like the ones psychobilly/rockabilly ladies often have.

rockstarmommy
June 7th, 2009, 11:09 AM
qwertyuiop

Speckla
June 7th, 2009, 02:24 PM
will repost

Speckla
June 7th, 2009, 02:47 PM
front
http://images50.fotki.com/v1515/photos/7/1199357/7616919/Picture002-vi.jpg

back

http://images46.fotki.com/v1518/photos/7/1199357/7616919/Picture003-vi.jpg

side

http://images46.fotki.com/v1518/photos/7/1199357/7616919/Picture005-vi.jpg

Roseate
June 7th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I A hairstyle I know *I* lived to regret, and I fear this next generation may feel the same way about their overly extravagant poofs.

Hey, probably, but isn't that what teenage hairstyles are for? To laugh at in pictures in the future?:D

I know I enjoy laughing at my shaved head, and the entire year after than in which my hair made its displeasure known by stubbornly sticking straight up, like I had my hand on a light socket.

And Speckla, great poof and nice kudzu in the background too! I miss the Southeast!

Nyghtingale
June 7th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Hmmmm, make me look taller? I need to try one of these.

Tangles
June 7th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Moreso than the poof, I really like the look of hair that's blow-dried so the hair falls backwards rather than over the face. It opens up the face and yet doesn't look forced like the poof, or teasing.

swanns
June 7th, 2009, 05:47 PM
I've tried to make the poof a few times, but my front hair is way too damaged/curly/coarse to make it look even half-decent. Maybe it's a good thing :rolleyes: I like the look on other people though, if it's not too poofy, but not on myself.

I haven't read the whole thread so I don't know if this has already been suggested, but maybe making a topsy tail would change the look of your bun a bit?

misstwist
June 7th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I like a poof. My face is round so I need the height to even things up.

I usually do a 40's retro sort of side poofs, with or without a roll. A single front poof looks a little more rockerbilly than I can carry off.

sissy304762
September 7th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I'm pentecostal and most of our styles include some sort of poof sometimes two or three or four poofs lol so i'm pro poof :)

kdaniels8811
September 7th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I NEED to pull my top hair into a pouf, otherwise it is either in my face and flat to my head or in the "skinned back" look that is so unattractive on me. But my pouf is barely an half inch high, more to just get the hair to lay back instead of fall down as it is prone to do. Pro-pouf! See Nightshades article on how to give a bit of volume to your hair, that is what mine looks like.

pepperminttea
September 7th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I'm anti-poof on my own hair. I just can't pull them off. :(

mira-chan
September 7th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I don't do the poof myself. It looks interesting on some though.

Laylah
September 7th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I'm neither pro nor anti poof. I've seen some that look obnoxious, some that look elegant, some that look messy, and some that look perfect....I've never doing a poof on my own hair, so I will do that when my hair is dry :)

feralnature
September 7th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I love poofs but I am already a wee bit taller than my husband so I would not wear one out of not wanting to look like an Amazon next to him.

Back in the 90s my daughters would poof out their bangs and wear something we called "boom bangs". Very popular look, so glad it's gone!

JamieLeigh
September 8th, 2009, 08:42 AM
I don't, personally, because my face is very long thanks to a high forehead. I feel it makes my head look even more gigantic if I poof the front of my hairstyles. I've tried it and it just wasn't for me. :flower:

Ruvie
September 8th, 2009, 10:15 AM
haha, my thoughts exactly!

shaybabe8604
September 8th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I used to poof all of the time when I kept my hair straight. I have quite a round face and it helped keep my head from looking like a basketball when I had my hair up

Nicoliee
January 14th, 2011, 06:32 AM
[quote=RancheroTheBee;590155]Do you mean one of these?

Is that you in the picture? Very pretty & LOVE the poof.

Calanthe
January 14th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Is there something as "yay"?

I mean I'm pro-poof, but in moderation. As a fine-haired, tight-bunned lady a slight poof makes it less severe for me. If I don't poof slightly or do something else to the front and/or side parts of my hair I look like a governess berating someone about table manners or language not suitable for young ladies/boys...:D

HintOfMint
January 14th, 2011, 01:28 PM
The bump-it type of poof might remind others of Snookie on the Jersey Shore. Not sure if you want to go that route.

Chamomile betty
January 14th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I am pro poof also. I just need a bit of highness in the front. When I go to put my hair up I push up my bun toward the top of my scalp to get the hair to loosen up. Then I secure my bun. The hair in front is not so tight. This is how I get a little fullness in the front. I love the flat look I just can't pull it off.

MandyBeth
January 14th, 2011, 01:46 PM
I don't mind a slight poof, like 1/2" or so. Or the rockerbilly/retro poofs, like what I'd put the first picture as.

Other than that, makes the person look like they want to be a cockatoo or something. Here the new look is a large poof in front, a Snooki bumpit poof in back with a messy bun with the ends sticking up. Lay off the over poofage.

CurlySoleil
January 14th, 2011, 02:14 PM
I do a version of the "poof" quite often because the front of my hair is a bit shorter than the back (like a 1/2" to 1") and I don't like to force the front into a bun. Plus, for me to fit *all* of my hair into a bun, I would need to use a *lot* of product to make it lay down because my hair is thiiiiick and very curly and generally opposes being tamed in slicked back styles. LOL. My hair is a beast! (I love her though!)

Anywhere
January 14th, 2011, 02:20 PM
I guess I'm pro-poof. Doesn't look too great on me (high hairline and all..) but it looks nice on others.

madeline_
January 14th, 2011, 03:23 PM
I love the poof! I usually do an entire roll right behind my front section, pin that with bobby pins and then pull the sections in front of my ear next/over it so it looked like a poof that went from ear to ear. I did one for ages when I was at SL to APL, I flattered myself it looked a bit like Joan Holloway from Mad Men (though it probably didn't) but I haven't been able to replicate it since it got longer. I'm way behind on youtube tutorials to handle my new length. :confused:

In general I don't really master them and I think my hair is a bit too thin for it anyway. It usually either falls flat or separates so you can look right through it.

IndigoAsh
January 14th, 2011, 03:37 PM
hairpoofs are win! I have a small head and I'm short so it comes in handy for me. Hair rats come in handy for those not wanting to use hairspray or tease.

jaine
January 14th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I like an asymmetrical, off-to-the-side, small poof on myself. Straight-back poof doesn't look right on me although I like it on other people.

MandyBeth
January 14th, 2011, 04:27 PM
See, I think my dislike of the poof is Grandma preaching about how high hair made a lady look aged. Not right for all, but sure right in her family.

GlassWidow
January 14th, 2011, 04:49 PM
I'm reading this thread and thinking about that episode of seinfeld where they were filming the pilot, and the woman playing Elaine kept asking for a bigger poof. I think some people can pull off the poof, and some people can't. :shrug:

Does anyone remember Finola Hughes' bun/poof-thing on General Hospital? I always liked that look, but maybe it's a little too 80's these days...it's been years since I was able to do it myself.

eezepeeze
January 14th, 2011, 06:03 PM
I am definitely PRO-POOF!! I wear a poof often, especially with buns. Sometimes instead of a poof, I do sort of like faux victory rolls on either side to add some softness.

IcarusBride
January 14th, 2011, 06:46 PM
I mostly don't like the poof. I tried it once and I can't manage it, my hair is too thin and slippery, it won't hold the poof, it just separates and you can see strait down to my scalp.

Loviatar
January 14th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Pro-poofer here! Although it takes a lot of dry shampoo and/or Lush Big Tease gel to stop my finey hair separating at my natural part :D and two bobby pins to hold it.

ETA: mine is usually a rockabilly style pomp.

McFearless
January 14th, 2011, 07:02 PM
If by poof you mean a little bump in the front(pinning back fringe) then yeah I love a poof.