PDA

View Full Version : These Stupid Faery Knots!

Maelyssa
May 15th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I am very sick of these buggers!

Someone once told me that an old Celtic myth is that the Fae liked to play with hair & tie knots in it to cause little pranks as these knots seem to occur with no other rhyme or reason.

I can stand dead still in the middle of a draftless room & a few hours later it seems there they are...those horrid horrid knots! And I HATE them!

To be more specific they are those knots & matting that seem to only occur in the underneath layer of your hair right near the nape of the neck.

So aside from faeries any other suggestions as to why they occur when I don't have my hair blowing in the wind or rubbing against anything or moving in general?

Also any suggestions as how to prevent them?

Themyst
May 15th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I get them a lot, as a matter-of-fact, I took a picture of a double one I had a few weeks ago but now cannot find the picture - how incredible is that - a double one!

Any time I look at my hair, I know one will be there. I wear my hair up in a bun most of the time so I don't understand it. Maybe there really is a world of faeries out there.

neon-dream
May 15th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Oh I get these too! It makes no sense! How can it loop it's way round itself into little knots!
There must be faeries out there :D

RancheroTheBee
May 15th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Either you can leave some cookies and a shot of whiskey in the garden to appease the faeries, or you can try oiling your hair or trying a leave-in.

Apparently, knots at the nape seem to be really common in a lot of people, so I wouldn't imagine you're doing anything to cause them.

jahof45
May 15th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I get them at the nape where my hair meets my shirt collar. I believe the roll against each other is cause for some of the knots but I also believe in faeries. :-)

Maelyssa
May 15th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Well I don't leave the bathroom without a good dose of leave in conditioner so I think that mayhaps I should leave out the whiskey & cookies! LOL :D

violetflower
May 15th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I get them too!! Doesn't matter if my hair is up or down (though it is mostly up!).

girlcat36
May 15th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I used to get them all the time, until I stopped using cones. Now I rarely get them.

Arctic
May 15th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I have one every now and then, I just S&D them.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc33/LingonberryMist/Hiukset/20081016002-muoks.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc33/LingonberryMist/Hiukset/20081128004_muoks.jpg

(the big thing is a match)

Ella Menneau P.
May 15th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I had no idea there was even a name for this!

I'm really enjoying this community and all the things I'm learning!

Carrie Ingalls
May 15th, 2009, 08:31 PM
I have fairy knots too. I can find them best when my hair is wet in the shower...the only problem, I donít have my scissors with me then.

I only started to S&D a couple months ago. I really like getting rid of the fairy knots and having my hair feel smoother.

One really cool thing about fairy knots is how I am able to notice the natural thickness and color variation in my hair.

~Carrie

Furiana
May 15th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I wonder if the Elling woman got these knots and blamed them on the Fae? I wonder whether she cut them off, untied them, or left them alone?

ravenreed
May 15th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I am just the opposite. I never had them until I stopped cones.

I used to get them all the time, until I stopped using cones. Now I rarely get them.

Paniculata
May 15th, 2009, 09:19 PM
"I can stand dead still in the middle of a draftless room & a few hours later it seems there they are."

Ha! HA! This is nearly exactly what I said to myself just a few hours ago! I brushed my hair (no knots at all), sat down, started reading a forum. Without moving. At all. An hour later I went to comb my hair again (because I felt like it) and I had little tiny knots all over the place! No wind, no air conditioning, no heaters, no birds flying around my head, no moving, no playing with my hair .. and knots.

My hair knots on itself if I so much as look at it, let alone touch it! Possibly has something to do with the fineness and the fact that it is rather un-silky at the moment but it has always knotted really REALLY easily ever since I can remember.

MountainGypsy
May 15th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I get them from time to time too. Sometimes I can untie them with a pin but usually I just trim them off. I love the name though, it makes me not mind them as much...trixie little faeries!

jera
May 16th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Those are not knots tied by faeries although that's a cute idea. :) A single knot in a shaft occurs when the cuticle (outer protective layer of the hair ) is damaged and thins leaving the core exposed and vulnerable to breakage. It's time to break out the leave in conditioners when you see a faerie knot so you don't suffer more damage to your hair.

jahof45
May 16th, 2009, 11:46 AM
<Clapping hands> I DO believe in Faeries, I DO believe in Faeries!

Gypsygirl
May 16th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I get them, too- for no apparent reason. I'm the queen of faerie knots! :D

Fireweed
May 16th, 2009, 01:00 PM
I get them too if I don't keep my hair well oiled.

Maelyssa
May 16th, 2009, 01:17 PM
I just recently went coneless & was hoping and wishing that it would stop them but alas one became many & soon I had a whole faery playground in the back of my head. :D

Maelyssa
May 16th, 2009, 01:19 PM
And I always use a leave in since as long as I can remember. Maybe I should stop using a leave in?

NaturalRaven
July 8th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Ever heard of Trichorrexis? I get those knots all the time and I kept cutting them off and lost 6 inches of hair the last year. Its damage to the hair follicle. So far my research shows that hair has to be conditioned everyday, only rub scap with shampoo and lightly finger through shampoo through the hair, when drying hair, pat the. Head with a towel and let the hair air dry. Comb with wide comp or fingers. Put oil or conditioner through hair because its dry damaged hair that tends to knot itself. They also said to comb or brush lightly and not often. I am just learning about it but thought I would share what I know.

feralnature
July 8th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I don't get faery knots :rolleyes: Wonder why?

nowxisxforever
July 8th, 2009, 11:22 PM
I wonder if the Elling woman got these knots and blamed them on the Fae? I wonder whether she cut them off, untied them, or left them alone?

Hard to say! :laugh:

ericthegreat
July 8th, 2009, 11:29 PM
I have plenty of fairy knots. And they occur very high up, about anywhere from 2 inches from my ends to all the way to the very mid-shaft. There is simply no way I can snip these off without losing several inches of my hair. Luckily, I use only a wide tooth comb, a rounded bristle paddle brush and a boar bristle brush on my hair and none of these tools catch on these fairy knots.