PDA

View Full Version : Going to Sally's this morning....

redneckprincess
May 15th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Care to make any suggestions of products I should look at or pick up? Oils, Conditioners, Creams.....
and what brands are best?
I know for sure I will be looking to get some Hot Oils, a malibu (to help strip the red out of my hair?) some kind of deep conditioning treatment.
Thanks in Advance for any and all help and suggestions :cool:
♥ Angie

Madame J
May 15th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Personally, I get all my products at a natural-foods store (except for one oil blend off Etsy), but I would totally get a new comb (seamless), and a silk or satin sleep bonnet if I went to the beauty supply store. And maybe look for better stretchy hair ties. And also look at their selection of pins to see if they have anything better than the grocery store.

I would suggest not going for the pre-packed "Hot Oil Treatment" and getting a bottle of some natural oil to use for oiling. I like coconut oil (which also comes in a jar, as it is solid below 76 Farenheit), and others seem to like jojoba and olive oils. Someone over on the natural products board tried walnut oil, too, and seemed to like it.

ravenreed
May 15th, 2009, 05:22 AM
I get my hair dye from Sally's and I bought my satin pillowcases there. On the down side, I bought a couple hair clips and one broke the first time I wore it. They wouldn't replace it, even though it was the next day. So I probably won't be buying any more clips from them.

Carolyn
May 15th, 2009, 05:32 AM
I'd avoid the pre-made hot oils and just use an oil such as olive oil or sweet almond oil. They are full of chemicals. I'd suggest getting some Cure Care conditioner, a Mebco detangling comb and some Good Days hair pins.

redneckprincess
May 15th, 2009, 06:04 AM
thanks ok I will let you know how it goes, I wish you could go with me lol ♥

GlassEyes
May 15th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Maybe a heat cap and a satin pillowcase?

swirlytresses
May 15th, 2009, 08:52 AM
They have a generic conditioner that is like biolage that is awesome. GVP biolage conditioning balm, I highly recommend it. I also bought one of my fakkare clips there. They also carry the goody (plastic) pins, wide tooth combs....They have a gallon size conditioner that is honey almond and has no cones, etc. The gallon is less than $10, and they have a pump that you purchase separately.

shadowclaw
May 15th, 2009, 10:13 AM
I really like the Ion Effective Care Treatment they sell there. It's a protein/moisturizer treatment, and it's done wonders for my hair. You can get packets or buy a bottle. It might prove especially useful if you plan on getting the dye out of your hair. I dyed my medium blonde hair black in 2004, and then decided it was too much of a pain too upkeep (blonde roots started showing after a two weeks), plus made me look too pale.

At the time, I didn't understand how hair dye worked, so I bought a box of bleach-type stuff that said it would work on dyed hair. I used it, and my hair turned orange, and since I didn't apply evenly, I had dark patches. My roots ended up being bright yellow. Needless to say, it wasn't what I expected. I thought my hair would look platinum blonde like the picture on the box. Then my mom saw what I had done and immediately took me to Sally's and asked the staff how to fix my hair. They sold us some kind of stripper, hair dye that was much ashier than my natural color, and some other stuff to make the process work.

So we tried it out, and the end result was golden hair... and just in time for my brother's wedding. Unfortunately, my hair was trashed by the process and I couldn't comb it when wet, no matter how much conditioner I used. It turned into a rough, tangled rat's nest jsut by getting wet. So the Sally staff gave me some reconstructor packets and some effective cae treatment packets, and after a month or two, my hair was pretty normal. Some those Ion packets really work wonders for damaged hair.

redneckprincess
May 15th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I am hoping so, I bought $50.00 dollars worth.....I found my blog so Im going to start keeping a journal of hair treatments and how each one works. So I will be able to test them all and look back and see which ones helped MY hair the best and what didnt do squat, I mean Ive used several of these items before just never so religiously as Im planning to start now...Some of the other products will be purchased and tried in the future, I cant afford to try everything at once, lol.....so check out my blog if ya want its just basic starting point stuff though so kinda boring...

AlisaB
May 26th, 2009, 07:05 PM
The roller pins I bought there are great for making buns. Theyre the sally's brand.

wackyredtangles
May 27th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I love sallys! I was just there today.

I like the big cases of bobby pins. I get some regular sized, and then some of the huge ones. You can't ever have too many bobby pins.

Hair elastics. Lots of hair elastics.

I got my sock bun thing at Claire's, not sally's, but I think they have them there too.

I like the Ion gloss stuff. I forget what its called, except that it says gloss, and its in a little container. Its a bit pricey, but I only use it when I wear my hair down, which is usually only for a special occasion.

Whirl-a-bun! One of my favorite updos is made using one of those. They come in a few different brands, but are all essentially the same thing.

This is non-hair, but they have some really nice Queen Helene face masks that come in a big 32 oz jar for $5. I've used the mint julep and the clay masque, both of which are great.

I agree with everyone else who says not to get any oil treatments. Just use some coconut or EVOO. Its cheaper, and probably better.

For 'pretty' hair accessories I actually like Claires much better, but Sally's has a better choice of functional stuff.