PDA

View Full Version : Look at my gross hair ball

jezebel17
May 15th, 2009, 12:00 AM
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i131/datruecstasy/sugeiandtroyB-day006.jpg

Sorry for the big gross hair ball picture, but I need some opinions.This is how much hair I collected from my comb after detangling during my CO wash. I hadn't washed in 3 days before this wash. Is this amount of hair considered alot? I feel like COin is causing me to shed more, but Im not too sure yet.However, this hair ball is not that much bigger from what I lose everytime I wash.DO I have a shedding problem, or is this normal?

Flynn
May 15th, 2009, 12:13 AM
My guess is pretty normal, really. Do you have, what, medium to coarse, curly hair? If you do, that's not such a big hairball considering. Same number of my hairs would probably take up half the space...

jezebel17
May 15th, 2009, 12:16 AM
No I have fine/medium curly hair.

Heidi_234
May 15th, 2009, 12:51 AM
you didn't touch your hair for 3 days, and you hair is pretty long, this hairball it totally fine. I've seen what really hair loss makes you shed and it's nowhere near it. So no need to worry, worrying will make you shed. :flower:

Furiana
May 15th, 2009, 12:59 AM
you didn't touch your hair for 3 days, and you hair is pretty long, this hairball it totally fine. I've seen what really hair loss makes you shed and it's nowhere near it. So no need to worry, worrying will make you shed. :flower:

What *did* that look like? :confused: It would help to have a frame of reference. I know I get freaked out by hairballs after combing, too...

Heidi_234
May 15th, 2009, 01:09 AM
What *did* that look like? :confused: It would help to have a frame of reference. I know I get freaked out by hairballs after combing, too...
I had severe hair loss due to poor nutrition years ago. As a result I lost literally third of my hair. Every time I would shower, I would pull big golf size hair balls which couldn't be packed into ping pong size ball no matter how hard I tried. My hair was APL-BSL at the time, so we are talking about lots and lots of hair. I would pull such large hairball every single shower, and I'd shower once-twice a week. Hair also shedded in between, I could pack a hairball like in the pic from combing alone.
I'm rather sure that when you have real hair loss issue, you know it. Also, what affects your hair, would also affect you, your skin, your nails. If something's wrong, you'll know it. If you're stressed you'll know it. There's no reason to worry yourself over nothing, since we all shed, and it's normal and healthy thing.

Furiana
May 15th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the reply! :flowers:

Well, that puts all my doubts to rest! A hairball larger than a ping pong ball when compacted?! :bigeyes:

Heidi_234
May 15th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the reply! :flowers:

Well, that puts all my doubts to rest! A hairball larger than a ping pong ball when compacted?! :bigeyes:
You're most welcome :flowers:
Yeah, I hope you'll never get those :nono:

spidermom
May 15th, 2009, 10:39 AM
It's a lot compared to what I lose when I comb conditioner through my hair (I seldom do an actual CO wash). But we're all different. Supposedly it's normal to shed 100 hairs a day, and your hairball has fewer hairs than 100 (I'm guessing). So your shed rate is probably fine.

Unnamed
May 15th, 2009, 11:25 AM
For me that would be a lot for three days (and to me would signal that I'm shedding way more than normal); however, on a normal basis I have a quite low shed rate...I only lose about 5 hairs or so a day. To really tell if I'm shedding more than normal, though, I check nape circumference--usually after having blobs about that size for longer than a week, week and a half. But, again, my normal shed rate is fairly low.

BUT, you said it's not that much bigger than it normally is? So, one thought would be did you comb less in between this wash than normal and/or wait longer than normal? If so, that's probably why there's more. This could also happen if you had your hair up/contained more of the time since your last wash or more recently/around when you started noticing it being a bit more.

Another possibility would be that just as individual hairs get longer a pile of shed hairs will get a bit larger just because if you have, say, 20 shed hairs that are 10" long, that's a total of 200". But when those hairs get to 15" long, the same 20 hairs are a total of 300", or 150% of the total it was before that. So as hair longer it looks like your losing more hairs when it's actually just more hair (but not more actual hairs).

If you're still worried I'd first off try not to worry, and then maybe count the hairs in the blob, and/or keep an eye on your circ/thickness. When I shed more than normal it's clearly more hairs (4-10 times normal shed rate), and I clearly lose some thickness, and it's measurable and feelable within a couple of weeks (or about 3-5 washes).

I'd guess that if it's not that much bigger than usual it's normal. :)

Alethia
May 15th, 2009, 01:28 PM
That's teeny weeny compared to what I shed daily. Relax. :)

ale
May 15th, 2009, 01:41 PM
I produced bigger ones!

We should make a sort of hairball contest, the biggest wins...hairtoys as a prize.

Heidi_234
May 15th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I produced bigger ones!

We should make a sort of hairball contest, the biggest wins...hairtoys as a prize.
The biggest loses...hair... :nono:

girlcat36
May 15th, 2009, 03:41 PM
I've just given up CO washing because I'm having major shedding. I actually count the shed hairs. :crazyq:
I could easily shed that much after 3 days, no combing, and I think I shed a lot.
My hair is too thin to shed that much, if I had MORE hair it wouldn't be so bad.

BTW, your hair is very pretty!

Anje
May 15th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Strange thing to say, but that's a cute curly hairball. Mine are kinda stringy and straight.

It's bigger than my standard hairball, but that could have to do with the texture, especially if you don't comb or brush your hair between washings. I lose a decent amount in between to the comb, and if you leave your curls alone, that might make up the difference.

I also suspect that CO makes me shed more, but my scalp feels dry after shampooing, at least by comparison, and my length needs conditioner. I'm always reminiscing about WO, but the fact is that my scalp gets a little greasy looking a lot of the time that way, and my ends will shrivel up and die.

Speckla
May 15th, 2009, 04:37 PM
That looks pretty normal also considering that some of the hairs are doubled or tripled over it's going to look like more. I had two hairballs bigger than that each time I cowashed and detangled last week.

elliebean184
May 15th, 2009, 05:29 PM
I have curly hair, and my hairballs are about the same size- for a while I tried to wash every 3 days and get a feel for the average- it wasn't so bad. I guess the hairs that fall out during the day stay in there, rather than escaping on their own. (No worries- :) I freaked out about my hairballs too!)

s_tresses
May 15th, 2009, 05:56 PM
That hairball is smaller than when I wasn't going through hair loss.

Starr
May 15th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Looks normal to me. . . but I lose way more hair than that so what do I know.

jezebel17
May 16th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the replies! Now I can relax a bit.Everything you guys said makes sense. I didn't wash in 3 days or even comb my hair so that could have been hair that was trapped in between my curls and added up over the days.I never would have thought of that.Thanks for the comments Anje and girlcat! Ale that hairball contest idea is just too funny lol. Well guys I'm still kinda suspicious about the Cowashes. I don't think my scalp likes conditioner on it too much.I will give it a few more tries and then switch over to CWC if things dont get better.

Calista
May 16th, 2009, 01:43 PM
You could actually count your shed hairs for a while - that way you would be surer of how much you lose and if it gets more with CO.