PDA

View Full Version : Conefree - not for me

cupcakeblonde
April 6th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Well after the first few days cone free and completely soft, I have gone to very dry feeling and messy looking hair. So back to cones it is *sigh*

Sillage
April 6th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Welcome back to the fold. :p

BTW, what's your favorite cone laden product?

cupcakeblonde
April 6th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Kerastace for now :)

Jeni
April 6th, 2008, 11:30 PM
I do love the cones! I have tried cone free, my hair hated me for it. Now I CWC with cones, use an end protector with cones and leave in with cones.

So, does anyone SMT with cones? I did my first yesterday with some cone free conditioner and my hair was not happy.

Jeni

Sillage
April 7th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Ohh Kerastase! Have you tried Elixir Oleo-Relax? I've been looking for a leave in to help with frizz and kill the fluff/fly away in my length and it sounds pretty good. Do you have any recs for leave-ins from this line?

ETA: I don't SMT... but Jeni what happened with the conefreeSMT?

lacereza
April 7th, 2008, 02:16 AM

Jeni
April 7th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Sillage- Well when I went to rinse it out it felt very...clean. Like I had just shampooed but not conditioned. When I got out and tried to comb it (like I normally do) it was horribly "grabby", I had to give up combing it! Then I noticed the curds, so I just hopped back in to the shower and CWC with my cone conditioner, my hair was much happier. This time I had no problem combing my hair, no tangles at all.

So I'm thinking I may try an SMT with one of my cone conditioners (I have many, I'm a product junkie) maybe add some coconut oil or EVOO into the mix.

Jeni

aisling
April 7th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Sillage- Well when I went to rinse it out it felt very...clean. Like I had just shampooed but not conditioned. When I got out and tried to comb it (like I normally do) it was horribly "grabby", I had to give up combing it! Then I noticed the curds, so I just hopped back in to the shower and CWC with my cone conditioner, my hair was much happier. This time I had no problem combing my hair, no tangles at all.

So I'm thinking I may try an SMT with one of my cone conditioners (I have many, I'm a product junkie) maybe add some coconut oil or EVOO into the mix.

Jeni

Well, are you sure the cone free conditioner really was the problem? My hair dislikes honey and I get that grabby feeling from that.

To the OP, yeah, cones usually hide dried out ends pretty well, only when you don't use them you might see the true state of your hair. Nothing wrong with cones, but it's good to know they can also hide accumulating damage.

seabear
April 7th, 2008, 04:00 AM
Welcome back to the "dark side," my friend..... mwahahaha!

Now you know what we had to deal with back in the 60s and 70s before they started putting silicone in hair products, my hair always looked like a haystack. I love my 'cones, they'll take them from me when they pry them from my cold, dead hands.

Curlsgirl
April 7th, 2008, 06:00 AM
On the Kerastase oleo relax serum I used to use that when I used cones and it was my very favorite product. Aside from the smell which was heavenly it made my hair feel like fine satin.

dukkelisa
April 7th, 2008, 06:11 AM
I have always had very oily and straight hair. Letting it get dry have it body and fullness to work with. Silky hair is hard to put up and keep up.

I have been cone free for about 3 months and notice that my hair gets more tangled and knotty. Not nice. Yet when I use cones too long my hair gets limp and greasy again. I am not sure what my answer will be, other than to possibly switch now and then.

Curlsgirl
April 7th, 2008, 06:23 AM
When I tried cone-free at first and didn't like it I realized later it was because I hadn't found the right cone-free products to use. Just like coney products some are agreeable with a particular head of hair and some are not. Just a suggestion for some of you who say your hair needs cones. A leave-in and other parts of a routine can also make a big difference.

Loops
April 7th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Hiya -

yes I LOVE kerastase oleo-relax serum. I think it is the best serum I've tried. Am currently testing out ouidad's shine glaze though. They say it is water-soluble but I'm not *quite* sure that can really be true, not with stuff like dimethiconol in it. They claim that it is different because it comes from crystalline quartz. If anyone has ANY idea about this please post - I put out another post but no-one answered.

A lot of products with cones are very different I've found. Some with amodimethicone I love and some I hate, some serums are just awful and others are great.

I have very fluffy tangly hair with no-cones and smooth manageable flatter hair with cones.

But it's always best to do what makes your hair happy.

Loops

goodenough
April 7th, 2008, 07:20 AM
"I love my 'cones, they'll take them from me when they pry them from my cold, dead hands."

I second that. I am sitting here with hay hair right now:) because I tried my old cone free routine just for "fun." I don't even want long hair if it's not with cones. My hair can be kinda evil and I need all the help I can get.

Although I must say it dries faster cone free.

eresh
April 7th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Join the coneheads :-)

At this length I just can't have my hair all knotty and tangly like it is when I don't use cones.
My hair loves the cones, an so do I :D

Ohio Sky
April 7th, 2008, 11:01 AM
My hair loves cones, too. I use Aussie products when my hair needs cones, but I usually only use them once in a while for a deep treatment with some oils and such.
I use a fairly broad variety of techniques- Im still experimenting with poo bars, and sometimes CO with VO5 vanilla mint tea if my hair is being argumentative but isnt too oily yet. My GR shampoo and condish are the only cone free products I can use that truly make my hair happy. I could use them forever :D
Like Curlsgirl said, there may be a cone free product that your hair likes better too and you just havent found it.

Stagecoach
April 7th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Welcome home!!! I can't go cone free either... nasty dull, tangly hair is what I'm left with.

Jeni
April 7th, 2008, 03:41 PM
aisling- Hum, maybe that was an issue. I'll try without the honey, maybe adding oil instead. Might as well, I have a big bottle of cone free anyway.