PDA

View Full Version : emotionally cutting hair (I'm not BTW)

jojo
May 14th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Does anybody else on here ever have moments where when things are crap they just want to do something drastic to their hair? All week Ive thought cut it short and bleach it, which is crazy because I know this would not solve anything, only make me more down.

Why do we do such things to our hair when we are feeling emotional? its almost as if I have to punish myself for feeling this way?? dumb eh?

Anybody else?

And please give me some tips on how to get through this, destructive stage. I am tying it up and pampering it, other than that please!

lyria
May 14th, 2009, 09:25 PM
My pop-psych: Hair style can be a dramatic way to change the way we look and the way others perceive us. Thereby influencing the way we see ourselves. I think that if someone is going through a stage when they are not happy with something about themselves, or something in their life, they may try to undergo transformation. A change in outward appearance can feel like a big step in that direction.

However, you already know appearance doesn't really change the underlying situation. You should do what makes you feel good, but if you know that this change will not help you, then remind yourself of what your goals are. If your goals are long hair, embrace the time to pamper your hair. If you are not happy with something, go easy on your self! Pamper yourself and pay attention to what does make you feel happier.

Treating yourself well should remind you that you are worth it!

Kunoichi
May 14th, 2009, 09:33 PM
If you want to change your look that drastically, the first thought that came to my mind was Buy a Wig. :) That way you'll have a whole different look and still have your beautiful hair too! :cheese:

I'm probably not much help in answering your question, but everyone is different and handles stress in their own way.

Katahdin
May 14th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I thought I was the only one!

Whenever I'm upset I always get the urge to chop off my hair to a pixie. A couple times I've nearly gone through with it. More than once I've picked up my trimming scissors and held them to my ponytail and seriously considered just cutting it. But I never go through with it.

Usually I just read a book, or blast the crap out of CGI monsters. I don't really have a method, I just don't cut it and wait for the urge to go away.

RancheroTheBee
May 14th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Ughn, I completely empathize. The only reason my hair isn't down to waist is because I always cut it off when I experience any sort of emotional trauma, and it's never a trim. It's always +8 inches.

It does give you something else to focus on. It makes it seem like you've gotten a fresh start, and like you're a new person.

In reality, it solves nothing. I say this not from the perspective of someone who has done it a million times, but just knowing that it only helps you to postpone thinking about what's really bothering you.

My suggestion: spa visit. Really. You feel like a completely different person afterwards, at no cost to your hair. Nice massage, mani/pedi, a huge mud pack - the works. Don't have the money? Save up. Say the package you want is $300. Put away $50 dollars a week until you have the money. That way, in that time, you're distracted by the promise of this special treat, and you anticipate it in the way you used to feel about Christmas. Once it happens, you'll feel relaxed, pampered, and above all, like you made a change.

It doesn't have to be the spa. It can be anything you want. But the fact is, when you're feeling like this, you have to treat yourself. The emotional payoff is the same, but in the case of someone who strives for long hair, you don't get the hangover the next morning.

Jessikinz
May 14th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Been there and done that so many times jojo. I'm not sure if what I do will help you, but it might :)

Usually when that happens I go for a nice long walk and take big breaths and get as much fresh air as I can. I notice I power walk when I'm feeling the urge, which oddly helps.

Another thing I do is soak my feet in nice hot water and relax to a movie, book, music, whatever distracts your mind.

The feeling goes by in no time when you focus on things that you enjoy doing.

HTH :)

jojo
May 14th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Some great answers, I like the wig one that sounds fun!

DecafJane
May 14th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I have done that, too. :(

The wig idea sounds like a lot of fun!
My usual thing is to buy hair toys, but that probably isn't the best addiction to feed . . . :P
Can you go clothes shopping or take up a new hobby instead?

rapunzhell13
May 14th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I used to go through this time and time again. I'm not sure what changed, but now I just can't bring myself to go through with it anymore. Experience has taught me that it just makes me feel even worse. It helps that I hate going to a hairdresser.

Ash
May 14th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I had a moment like that yesterday, wanted to hack it off into mohawk style so I had an excuse to bleach it and turn it bright blue. I was having a bad day at work and was having destructive thoughts. What I do is to weigh out the options, and I knew I would regret cutting since I have made a lot of progress and would really like longer hair. When I was at home, I got on the exercise bike instead. :) I like the wig suggestion, might do that myself.

HotRag
May 14th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Does anybody else on here ever have moments where when things are crap they just want to do something drastic to their hair? All week Ive thought cut it short and bleach it, which is crazy because I know this would not solve anything, only make me more down.

Why do we do such things to our hair when we are feeling emotional? its almost as if I have to punish myself for feeling this way?? dumb eh?

Anybody else?

And please give me some tips on how to get through this, destructive stage. I am tying it up and pampering it, other than that please!
Maybe one can redirect the hair focus, and make some change to a clothing.

But I don't really know, I have never wanted to make emotionally based changes to things.

The redirect thing has been good for me in other "issues/stuff" (can't find the most correct word), one can get something out in a less destructive way, maybe even can find a really constructive way.

Autumnberry
May 15th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Think carefully about something that you want to accomplish in the short term that is not getting done--something that would make you feel happy. Then, go out and pursue it with voracity. And push the chop and bleach thoughts right out. Your hennaed hair is looking so lovely and long; it is so much easier dealing with hair you can put up rather than short, fried hair!

masterofmidgets
May 15th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I realized how much finals were stressing me out last quarter when I spent about a week straight constantly thinking about cutting my hair - I kept going around asking people how I'd look with short hair, and getting some very odd looks in response.

I guess mostly the important thing is to remind yourself that it is just a stress reaction, and not necessarily something that you really do want to do. I just tried to distract myself from thinking about it as much as I could, and found other things (computer games, movies, long walks, etc) to occupy myself and let some tension off.

LILBERT
May 15th, 2009, 12:45 AM
i know i definatly react to stress/emotional upset by thinking, ill cut/dye my hair. its something i can controll and decide myself and i often think it will make me feel better, ergo, life will be better :confused: not so! as i have learned through my last 3 emotional cuts over the years!

Kylis
May 15th, 2009, 01:25 AM
I have gone trough the same many times when I had a really stressful and emotional period in my life. It might work for someone who loves short hair, but for me the exitment about haircut and short hair lasted about an hour , after that I felt worse than I did before. Probably you will get over the difficulties quicker than it takes to grow your beautiful hair where it is now. I think the wig is a good idea! :)

janeytilllie
May 15th, 2009, 01:49 AM
I have been like that in the past.

It helps to focus your attention away from your hair.

I find shopping for clothes helps ;)
Being with family/friends/pets help
Doing something active like a sport or dance. I bellydance :D
Going for walks
Giving yourself a treat like a lovely manicure, a lovely bath and chocolate :D
Reading a good book
Being on TLHC :cheese:

I'm very sorry you are feeling down :grouphug: Hope you feel better soon

jera
May 15th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Been there and done that so many times jojo. I'm not sure if what I do will help you, but it might :)

Usually when that happens I go for a nice long walk and take big breaths and get as much fresh air as I can. I notice I power walk when I'm feeling the urge, which oddly helps.

Another thing I do is soak my feet in nice hot water and relax to a movie, book, music, whatever distracts your mind.

The feeling goes by in no time when you focus on things that you enjoy doing.

HTH :)

I do those same things when feeling weird and antsy. Though I never feel like cutting my hair anymore because I understand my hair isn't really the issue. It's something else entirely but my hair just happens to be there and directly under my control. At times like these. Hide the scissors. Go out, call a friend, play with the cat, watch TV and laugh, or watch one of the many long hair movies that inspire you. :)

Milui Elenath
May 15th, 2009, 02:59 AM
I remember having a conversation with a bunch of girlfriends about this, we talked about how you could often tell how bad a break up had been by a girls hair. A single change was a normal heartache, a dye, cut and perm/straighten was really bad.

It does seem like its a symbol of change, - I'm no longer the person I used to be, etc.

I did actually do the wig idea when I broke up with my Bf of seven years, I'm glad I didn't do anything to my hair although it was years ago (we're happily married now -) However it was a very expensive impulse, I can't imagine where I found the money as a student or what I was thinking, it does not suit me at all! I do remember regretting spending the money, did I mention it was very expensive? ;)

As for strategies, perhaps focus on other external changes that are less permanent. Don't go shopping unless you don't mind spending money. I also agree with all the other suggestions.

Hatsumomo
May 15th, 2009, 03:30 AM
I hennaed mine then cut it off after losing my ex/close friend. Now I realise I'm better off without and I'm quite miffed because my hair would have been around 32/33 inches now if I hadn't.

earthpulse
May 15th, 2009, 03:33 AM
When everything seems like it's going completely wrong and there is nothing I can do about it I get the urge to change whatever is under my control, too. What I have found to be helpful is doing something simple and productive that carries no risk of regret. I'll write a thank you note that has been in the back of my mind and a month late, clean out a junk drawer, finish a paper, go to the library and read about something I've always been interested in, etc. I avoid spending money. It seems to make me feel worse afterwards and I end up with something that makes no sense like a limited edition beanie baby or top of the line pocket protector. That's probably just me, though. :)

Chanterelle
May 15th, 2009, 04:22 AM
Been there, done that.
Actually, I used to do it quite often when I had short cut. Sometimes I would dye hair every 6 weeks just for the sake of change. And it helped. A lot.
Now it's so hard for me to resist the urge. So this thread is quite helpful for me, too. I especially liked the advice about SPA. I'll definitely try it next time I feel the need to change something.

Madame J
May 15th, 2009, 04:31 AM
I think there's some desire to have a transformation of sorts after a major life event (good or bad). With a bad event, there's the thought, "I have gone through this awful thing and come out a different person in some ways, so why don't I look any different?" Hair is about the easiest way to make ourselves look completely different.

But you can also update your wardrobe, or makeup routine. If you were to go to a salon and get your hair professionally cut short, which is a lot more involved than a trim, and then get it dyed, how much would that cost? Why not take that money (or half that money, if you like) and go out and get some new clothes and/or accessories. Maybe you want to experiment with a new signature thing, like scarves or really long earrings, or wide belts. Don't worry about actual fashion, just head out and try to transform yourself through personal style, rather than making a hair decision you would regret. Bonus points if you choose styles to particularly compliment your long, red hair, so you wouldn't dream of cutting it or changing the color after!

Chrissy
May 15th, 2009, 05:47 AM

Anybody else?

When I did it it was because it "seemed" to be the only thing I could control at the time. We were moving back to Ohio from AZ, trying to sell our house, my dh already had gone to Ohio......yadda yadda. I was so stressed so I took it out on my hair.

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your hair is beautiful as are you. Put it up if you must but keep the scissors away. I'm so serious. I was happy at first but shortly thereafter I so regretted it. I missed my long hair and still do. It is on it's way though.

Maybe instead pamper it even more than usual. Look at yourself in the mirror and say my hair is part of me and I love it. I would not cut something out of my life that I love. I know this is kind of how your life is going right now, not by your choice.

I have no idea if this is of any help. You are an amazing woman and you are beautiful inside and out. You are worth keeping that gorgeous hair of yours. In the end of course it's your choice. BIG HUGS!!! It's good to see you posting Jojo.

:grouphug:

KnightsLady
May 15th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Oh wow, this is me! Thanks for creating this Jojo. I like the spa idea or simply doing something that doesn't require spending money.

I've been going though a "if I just cut my hair I would feel better, look better" thing for a few months now and the feeling has been really strong recently. I was thinking of visiting the hairdresser tomorrow (didn't have time today), but I might head to the local masseur instead then see how I feel.... :p

melrose1985
May 15th, 2009, 08:22 AM
This happens to me when I'm bored.... Hence- for the last three years, had I just left it alone I would be waist now... But I'm collar bone.

When i'm really down I actaully end up cutting my nails all the way down. For about two seconds I was feeling in contorl, and then I realized now I'm still sad and I have no nails!

I do have a hard time with things like that but I have been better about it, I have not cut my hair in 8 months!

sukhi_v1023
May 15th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Oye vey. Been there, done that, regretted it too.

I don't know about you guys, but sometimes it's just about making a change of some kind. So these days instead of making that drastic change to something like my hair, I'll do something else, along the lines of the spa.

Since I'm a student and don't have that much cash to spare, it's fun to do a spa day at home or spa night. I'll paint my nails, have a long relaxing bath, massage my body with some super luxurious body cream, do my own face mask.

Key is to basically make yourself feel good about yourself again, and do something to make a change in your appearance.

And if it's just about cutting your hair... Well, maybe you can take it out on body hair. Lol! I know it sounds silly, but sometimes just taking care of body hair fills the same crazy urge to cut the hair off of your head.

Madame J
May 15th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Oooh! I realized that my suggestion involved spending money (I figured if you were cutting hair short and dying it a drastic color, that would involve a trip to the salon, and I rarely get away from the salon for under $100 when it involves color). But for cheapo suggestions, how about curling up with a yummy snack (glass of champagne....?) and a stack of hair-spiration DVDs. I would always watch The Princess Bride when I was blue, which reinforced the idea that long hair is beautiful and feminine, not something disposable when you're up for a change. I also liked Brahm Stoker's Dracula....

JamieLeigh
May 15th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I'm sorry you're going through so much crap right now, jojo! :grouphug: You're such a nice and caring person, and you deserve much better out of life! :flower:

On the hair question, I don't know, honestly. I've never really felt compelled to mess with my hair during my self-destructive periods - usually I take it out on my poor body, either by starving myself or over-gorging on food. :( Not saying I have a problem right now, but I have done this in the past. I have never touched my hair with scissors out of anger or depression, though. I'm not sure what causes something like that.

Pixna
May 15th, 2009, 08:57 AM
If you take a look at my album, you will see the after effects of letting emotions (and hormones) control your decisions. And my "after" shot was taken a year and a half after my meltdown. So, as they say, been there, done that. And, my advice is, don't follow in my footsteps!!!!!!

I think my problem at the time was that I was focusing too much on my hair rather than other things in my life (or about myself) that I had control over and could change. My suggestion is to shift your focus to other aspects of yourself or your life. Cooking, exercising, getting a new pair of shoes, pampering yourself (with a massage or manicure or pedicure), going hiking, ANYTHING other than hair. That way, your attention, energy, and focus will be on this other thing, and the urge to "harm yourself" via your hair will pass.

Hang in there. Things will look up again -- they inevitably do. The crap is there for a purpose -- it allows us to appreciate the times when it isn't there. :)

Hugs to you!!!

Julesn
May 15th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I'll throw a few foils in my hair when I'm feeling blah-ish. Only the regrowth, though! :)

I don't cut it when I'm emotional, though. I may look at it for a few minutes & get very frustrated b/c it seems like it's not growing, then I usually just walk away. Ha!

Julesn
May 15th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Great advice, Pixna! :)

MsBubbles
May 15th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Now that you mention it, I have never had the urge to cut or change my hair in reaction to stress. I do, however, start to loathe my body and do stupid things to try to 'fix' it, which usually results in food problems.

earthdancer
May 15th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Amost every woman I know (including me) has done the emotional haircut thing! I don't do that anymore (knock on wood) but another thing that helps me when I get that urge is getting a new lipstick, something very different from my normal look. For me, it's something bright red! It might sound wierd, but just one day of looking completely different from my usual self is enough to satisfy that urge. I have a couple of funny stories about people seeing me after something traumatic has happened to me, and there I am in bright red lipstick!:eek:

The bonus is that it's not permanent!

Or shoes! Pay-less is my friend.:o For me, they don't have to be expensive, just fun. Some of my all-time favorite shoes have come from Pay-less.

Rohele
May 15th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I think just recognizing the fact that you're wanting to cut for emotional reasons can help too. Even when the urge is strong to change your hair, if you know the reason why you can look at it more rationally.

I've been prone to emotional cutting in the past. I eventually realized that when I was content with life my hair was long, and when I wasn't (extreme stress, boredom, whatever), I was changing it.

I was going to go suggest shoe shopping too (for sexy, beautiful, impractical shoes).

I know you've been going through lots right now, please resist the urge to cut your beautiful hair! :grouphug:

spidermom
May 15th, 2009, 10:05 AM
The last time I felt that way, we lost 2 family members within a few weeks of each other (suicide, accident). I wanted to hack my hair off at the scalp so bad! But I knew it would add one more grief to my load so I refrained. (I also posted about it here and got a lot of reassuring replies to carry me through.)

Unofficial_Rose
May 15th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Wow, this thread really proves how many of us change our hair as a reaction to stress, i.e. wanting a new start - all that crap happened to "the old me", the new me looks different and hasn't had any rubbish happen to her.

There has been so much good advice on here as usual. I've done this too, which is why my hair's never long. Still living with the consequences of being made to feel rubbish last summer, and cutting my hair off and dyeing it blonde - yuck!

One of the best things I have read on here was once in response to a similar dilemma, a poster (can't remember who) said "It is not worth my hair"

Now I'm sure you have the photos of how your hair has evolved as it's grown - you've posted them on here, right? So maybe look at them and realise your hair is so much better now than it was when it was shorter?

The money you could have spent at the hairdressers (over £100, you are in the UK like me!) could be spent on a dress that makes you look like a goddess. Have a night out with your friends and go dancing until it's light, say 6am. Not as trivial as it sounds. Much better than changing your beautiful hair. Here is some:chocolate:or maybe you prefer :sushi:?

rags
May 15th, 2009, 11:37 AM
I am certainly an "emotional cutter". What I do nowdays when I absolutely want to shave my head is one of a few things: I order new hair toys (can't cut the hair - I just ordered a toy!), learn a new style, or focus on something else entirely. I have quite the purse collection! (inexpensive, but I do have several of them!)
If I don't have money, or don't want to spend it, then I try to learn something new, or wear clothes I don't normally wear in a way I wouldn't normally dress. Anything which changes things up a bit. For example, I am normally either bohemian or soccer mom. I have been known to borrow my daughter's clothes and go out looking like a semi-goth for one day! Somehow, that helps. (and I look absolutely ridiculous, but I don't care! :p) Usually, just having some sort of change, whatever it is, helps.
Good luck, jojo! :grouphug:

sneakybea
May 15th, 2009, 12:00 PM
For some reason, when I get upset (and I do a lot), I don't take it out on my hair. It might be because of how often I feel my hair is the only part of me I like! And I have sooo many hair toys, that would then be useless to me if I cut---so if you can't afford a new hair toy, maybe rediscover the ones you already have? Join the "wear all my toys once" thread (which I'm thinking of doing myself) and rediscover the fun of playing with them!
I also recommend writing in a journal to stop yourself from doing anything drastic. Even if you tear out those pages later, or just write on lined paper and toss it (although for some people it can be helpful to have these entries to look back on), writing down what you're feeling can keep you from doing something impulsive, and help you figure out what will actually improve the situation, rather than just distracting you from it.

Eireann
May 15th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I call this "PMS Perm Syndrome." I think it's because when you're hurting on the inside you want to do something to change . . .and it's easier to change the outside than the inside. Irrational, yes, but pretty powerful. I've learned to resist after several pixie cuts and most recently a REALLY REALLY BAD dye job that I'm still trying to recover from! (I had the color corrected, but I'm still babying my hair from the trauma of being colored, blown out and brushed wet 2 days in a row!)

LaurelSpring
May 15th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I used to go through this time and time again. I'm not sure what changed, but now I just can't bring myself to go through with it anymore. Experience has taught me that it just makes me feel even worse. It helps that I hate going to a hairdresser.

This sounds like me. I use to take it out on my hair but now I love my hair so much the thought is no longer there. I wouldnt consider it. I might just look for a new hairtoy or search youtube for new updos. Now henna..that could be a problem..

Miuku
May 15th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I do the exact opposite thing.

The only times I've done anything drastic to my hair was when I had absolutely nothing else going on.

OTOH, when I really am emotional or going through some period of stress, I don't do anything to my hair, not even trims or planned changes.

I went through a period of serious stress during the first two months of this year, and only two weeks ago I realized that I needed a trim back in February, and actually did it.

enfys
May 15th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I had a mini meltdown on the weekend. I used to self harm and find it difficult not to turn to that; attacking hair is a watered down version of it for people like us who acctually want long hair.

It's not the best solution, but while I was super emotional I locked myself in the bathroom where there wasn't so much as toenail scissors, and literally dipped my hair in oil so it was too gross to touch.

As I say I was in an extremem mood, but it helped. If it means doing a few deep conditions so you have a shower cap on as you watch soaps with a giant bar of Galaxy so be it!

And it's terrible terrible advice but I'd rather comfort eat on grounds it's easier to recover from. Unhealthy, but I've done that too. Again, sticky fingers won't see my hair.

Maelyssa
May 15th, 2009, 03:46 PM
I've been in your shoes a bunch of times. But I'll get so bad I just want to shave all my hair off. Frankly I don't have any tricks other than right after wanting to shave all my hair off I then tell myself to not be an arse because I will regret it the second that I do.
Over the years I've come to realize when I'm getting stressed & emotional to that point so I try to begin to use logic going into the mini meltdown about to occur.
And normally it has to do with other people & I realize that cutting my hair off will only make that situation worse, not better.
Although I have developed an odd tattoo addiction instead...rather than goof up my hair I focus on coming up with an amazing quote or design that would express what I want at that moment or want to achieve to get out of that bad moment.
Some times I've gotten that actual ink done...other times I just toyed with the idea but I like that much better than chopping my hair.
I'm a weirdo I know.

rani
May 15th, 2009, 06:28 PM
YES! The weekend before my first medical school exam I chopped off my below-collarbone hair that I had been growing for two years to chin-length. Now it's a month before I take my licensing exam and I want to grow it out again...

princess
May 15th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Try to do something else that you wanted to do for a long time and did not do for a long time. Go on a cruise or something. Go abroad if you have the money Take a holiday/visit your parents/brother or something.

going gray
May 15th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Done emotional cutting so many many times, the most recent was April of 08, my hair was 23 inches & looking really great. So just on a "whim" I decided a "new look" was in order (because I'm much too old for long hair) & got a short short style. It was good for about 1 week (enjoyed all the attention I received) then I realized my big mistake.

Jojo, please don't cut your beautiful hair, you will regret it!

MuzicalH3rb
May 18th, 2009, 01:52 PM

Anybody else?

Oh yes, I have...and I'm paying the price for it now...I miss my long hair. I guess, the best way to not do it is to stop and think about it, clearly. I know once my hair is really long again, if I ever get the urge all I have to think about is how miserable I am with short hair. UGGGH

sweetbluesky
May 18th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I cut my hair after a break up. My sister had been bugging me for weeks to cut my hair short and convinced me it would help me feel better. Not only was my heart broken, but my hair was gone :(After obsessing about it, it finally grew to a presentable length.

Then a few years later, I wanted to know why my hair wasn't short. You would think I would have learned my lesson :rolleyes:. So I cut it again, and agonized DAILY over it for it to grow.

Now, I really want the Pob, the long in the front short in the back bob. I have looked at wigs, and I did the "folding" thing. You can try pinning it or something to pretend it's shorter. HTH

Lohari
May 19th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I do randomly cut my hair, but usually it's not because I'm stressed or sad or anything. Just bored, got nothing to do, and then... "Hmm, maybe I should cut few cm's off my hair!". Sadly this happens very often. I'm trying to not do it, and I know in the moment the idea comes to my head, that I would regret it later. Usually surfing here helps a little :'D

But when I get stressed or over-emotional, I do something to myself, but not to my hair. I've cutted my loooong fingernails as short as possible, randomly pierced my ears (When over-stressed, even some other body parts), even had trouble with selfharm. Anything that you can do in a few minutes. I'm lucky that I haven't had much stress or sudden depressing moments lately.

Elenna
May 19th, 2009, 01:30 AM
I'm ok during the day, but late at night my worries become overwhelming. And my behavior becomes self defeating. I'm very calm during the day, but not at night. That's when the stress gets to me! I am thinking that rewarding with hair toys will motivate me to be kind to hair.

hennaphile
May 19th, 2009, 01:34 AM
As someone who deals with trichotilomania, I can speak to a direct correlation. While for me it's centered on eyelashes, I definitely tug at my hair and have the urge to pull it, but with extreme self discipline I overcome it. When some animals are stressed they pull their fur out. I'd be interested in knowing more.

LadyEliza
May 19th, 2009, 02:16 AM
Yes, a couple of times this week actually I've felt like hacking it off.

Nat242
May 19th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Yes, a couple of times this week actually I've felt like hacking it off.

Nooo! It's looking so lovely.

TokyoPink
June 6th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I've been there more than once, it really doesnt make you any happier although at the time i thought it would :(

I agree with the walking/going out idea. Now when I get stressed or upset I just pound away at my running machine or go hang out with someone. By the time I'm done with that I'm either too exhausted or distracted to even think about doing something drastic to my hair.

Wish I'd thought of this a few months ago, though, then I wouldnt be growing out my crop again *grr*

Natalia
June 6th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Oh yeah i get that desire rather often, i have for years. Ive only been more seriosu about it this last year but i would hate myself if i ever did it. I have the desire to chop off my hair to a long bob (kind of like kate walsh) and dye it black. I think i think about it becasue i have this fine/thin easily tangled hair that i wish would just cooperate. I dont know how having short hair would accomplish that becasue i wouldnt be able to put it up or braid it and i would hate that. O well i just keep holding myself off tilli can buy a nice wig to satisfy myself :p. I think that cut would really flatter my face as far as short cuts go.