View Full Version : Natural protein treatment?

whiteisle
May 14th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I think I may need to do a protein treatment but I don't want a "commercial" one. I'm using poo bars, vinegar rinses, and oils and I'd like to keep it natural if possible. What can I use for a protein treatment and how long should I keep it on my hair before washing?

Delilah
May 14th, 2009, 07:16 PM
I use full-fat mayonaise.
Its got oils, vinegar, eggs, lots of good stuff in it. There are threads about using it on here.
If that's too freaky for you then you can start with just an egg yolk whisked well with oil.

HairColoredHair
May 14th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Just remember with eggs to wash and rinse in COLD water, or you will be picking egg whites out of your hair.... :D It is one of the best natural protein treats, though.

ktani
May 14th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Catnip (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118) actually contains a fair amount of protein but it moisturizes too and strengthens hair.

I would not call it a protein treatment as such but it can work wonders, from my experience.

Flaxen
May 14th, 2009, 11:06 PM
1 Tablespoon low sodium soy sauce or Bragg's Liquid Aminos in 1 cup of water. Pour it over your hair after you shampoo, leave it on for the length of your shower, rinse, apply a good moisturizing conditioner, leave that on for a few minutes, and do a final rinse. :smile:

Heidi_234
May 15th, 2009, 12:57 AM
I'm not sure about the liquid amino stuff, but most (if not all) the protein you think of putting on your hair is just too big to penetrate the hair and do the job. Commercial products contain hyrdralized(sp?) protein which is smaller in size, and made to penetrate and strengthen the hair.

SimplyLonghair
May 15th, 2009, 01:20 AM
I have used eggs and I am thinking of trying coconut milk. I have also used yogurt. Someone used the Braggs Amino Acids with yogurt and I think that it was honey and said that they had good luck. I think it was on this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=23630). Good luck.:D

Okay so it was baking soda that they used. :P

Gothic Lolita
May 15th, 2009, 01:29 AM
I've done my first protein treatment only 2 days ago and used yoghurt and olive oil. I wetted my hair and then just slathered the mass on. I know some say that milk protein is too big to penetrate, but since I never did a protein treatment before, I didn't want anything too strong.
It worked quite well, my hair has more body now and also takes up much more moisture.

Melisande
May 15th, 2009, 04:26 AM
It's not natural but it's a one-ingredient product: hydrolyzed wheat protein. I add it to my deep treatment recipe (my often-recommended mixture of conefree conditioner, honey, olive oil, aloe vera gel) and to my mister (rose water, aloe vera gel, camellia oil). It makes my hair definitely less limp and in moderate amounts, no crunchiness experienced ;-)

ktani
May 15th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Some information on protein treatments and hair. It is about the time a treatment is on the hair as well as particle size.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=Z2rHHGQc-5QC&pg=PA39&lpg=PA39&dq=hydrolyzed+protein+penetrating+hair&source=bl&ots=kJVvcyGi8j&sig=1sqLVROF0t6D9qsj9MYzwJDr2xY&hl=en&ei=WlgNSqXhHo_MMJ_G-LIG&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1#PPA40,M1

Melisande
May 15th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Ktani, thank you for the excellent link! Very interesting book.

ktani
May 15th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Ktani, thank you for the excellent link! Very interesting book.

You are most welcome!

AnkyCece
May 15th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I've been using mayonnaise for over 5 years as a protein treatment before shampooing. But since I dyed my hair (henna indigo) I've skipped that step and use Aubrey GPB conditioner. My hair is always so soft after using it. It also detangles my hair. Good luck!

Rain76
May 16th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I am thinking I really need a good protein treatment, because I washed my hair this morning & wore it down (after combing it out with some all natural hair gel in it), and by the end of the day, it was completely tangled @ the nape of my neck & down the hair shaft, because of horrible breakage. If I am going to grow my hair to waist (it is now right @ bsl), I best be doing something about all this breakage. It is very disapointing:(

creativehoney
May 17th, 2009, 12:25 AM
I just started coconut oil and I read the longer you leave it on the better. At least 1 hour.

And you can use olive and coconut oil together and its supposed to work awesome. Haven't tried that yet......
hmmm....you just gave me an idea for another experiment.

Rain76
May 18th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Is coconut oil considered protein?

Melisande
May 18th, 2009, 06:10 AM
No, but it's useful for protein-hungry hair nevertheless.

I recommend the search function and this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=24446&highlight=coconut+protein)thread.

The hair and sometimes scalp are saturated with oil until they appear wet, this is ideally left on overnight but some only leave it on for an hour before washing off. This has many benefits, helping to replace EFA's in the hair shaft, and also reducing protein loss during washing.

Among three oils, coconut oil was the only oil found to reduce the protein loss remarkably for both undamaged and damaged hair when used as a pre-wash and post-wash grooming product. Both sunflower and mineral oils do not help at all in reducing the protein loss from hair.

I tried the miracle mix of olive oil and coconut oil and it was marvelous. I keep tweaking my volume-and-shine-where-are-you treatments. for this, I need protein in moderation.