PDA

View Full Version : HOT or COLD rinse?

redneckprincess
May 14th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I have always heard that you are supposed to rince your hair with cool /cold water when rinsing after a shower. I have been doing this for just about a year when I decided to REALLY start taking better care of my hair. I now can not get out of the shower without turning the water a bit cooler, is this really helpful?

chrissy-b
May 14th, 2009, 12:45 PM
It makes my hair easier to comb and much shinier when I rinse with cold water. When I rinse with the same temperature I wash in, my hair always comes out more frizzy.

wintersun99
May 14th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Supposedly the cold water (though cool works too, you don't have to freeze!) closes the cuticles in the hair (so that it lays flatter) and also closes pores in the skin... so all of that is a good thing.

LisaJaney
May 14th, 2009, 12:47 PM
You know, I used to dump a bucket of cold over my head. I noticed NO difference on my hair. Now I do turn the water a LITTLE cooler, but nothing drastic like before. That was torture, and I don't want to go back to it. :whip: I remember gritting my teeth, mentally "gearing-up" for the cold final rinse, leaning back so I wouldn't have it running down my bare back...Oh gosh, I forgot how much I hated that til I was describing it just now...

Makes me want a HOT shower! I feel cold just THINKING about it!

zen_oven
May 14th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I sometimes do a cold rinse--it helps with frizz a bit. I live in a humid climate and it's especially bad during our 1000 degree summers, so my hair tends to be huge then! Cold rinsing does seem to help, though I can only stand to do it in summer. I just get too cold otherwise. I make the water pretty cool but not frigid.

SimplyViki
May 14th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I used to cold-rinse. Now I just try not to make my shower really hot right from the beginning, and turn it more luke-warm at the end. I figure since the water is running in the direction the cuticle is pointing, it should lay flat all on its own, especially if the water isn't super-hot. I just hate cold!

earthdancer
May 14th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Cold water doesn't make any difference to the shine on my hair and it's torture, besides. It also seems to make my hair tangle like crazy. I wonder of it's the same effect as I got when I washed a wool sweater in ice-cold water. That was a huge mistake--it made my sweater shrink several inches!

Cool water rinses, though, do seem to help with my oily scalp.

redneckprincess
May 14th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I do not by any means use COLD water to rince anymore, tried that only a couple of times and that was a big no go, But I rather enjoy a finle rince with a few degrees cooler of water just before I step out, even if it does nothing to help my hairs condition.

Kirin
May 14th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Cool/cold water rinses make my hair dry and tangly. I did them for a few months (brrr!) to see what difference it made. The only difference was a decrease in my hair growth!

jera
May 14th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I use homemade herbal rinses which I prepare by crumbling fresh herbs into boiling spring or purified water, letting it steep, then straining into a container which I set aside. I pour some of this over my hair as my final rinse. It's pleasantly cool but not freezing cold and it gives my hair great slip. :)

Chanterelle
May 14th, 2009, 01:54 PM
No difference for me.

Madame J
May 14th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I rinse everything out of my hair, and at the end of my shower, I turn the warm water down until it starts feeling noticeably cool. Then I rinse once more with this, and then I'm done. Sometimes I forget, though. It does seem to make my hair a little shinier, but maybe I'm fooling myself.

rose_in_bloom
May 14th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Cold rinses are awesome! I do a cold rinse every time I wash my hair. It helps it to stay cleaner longer and feels great too. :)

enfys
May 14th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I do a cold as it can be rinse after every hair wash. Note that I wash my hair hinged from my waist, not stood upright!

I do it for two reasons:
1. It puts up the pressure on the shower, so more water hits my scalp and kind of massages it
2. It feels nice, cools me own after all that hanging upside down!

As for if it affects shine I've done it for so long I can't remember anymore, but it doesn't give me tangles, or I'd stop.

windinherhair
May 14th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I really like a hot shower! I might be able to stand to rinse my hair will cooler water at the end.

Flynn
May 14th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I tried it yesterday. Hair's still braided and damp, so I don't yet know how it went. I rinsed my hair and my face with the cold, then turned the hot back on and warmed myself up again before getting out ^__^

FullMoonTrim
May 14th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Great idea to make an herbal infusion for your final rinse! Which herbs are your favorite for making this rinse?

CrystalStar
May 15th, 2009, 03:54 AM
I usually get out the shower and unhook it from the wall to spray ice cold water through my hair without getting my body wet :p

I think it adds a bit of shine and elss frizz for me :)