PDA

View Full Version : Hot Oil Treatment question :- how do you rinse the oil out!?

BajanGal
May 14th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Hello LHC,
I am new to the site and have always read about Hot Oil Treatments so I decided to give it a try last night. I used Jajoba Oil and Coconut Oil. After the treatment I went to wash out my hair in cold water and shampooed (twice) and today it is still EXTREMELY oily... HELP!!! :cool:

redneckprincess
May 14th, 2009, 12:31 PM
good question as I just picked back up on my oiling, I used some EVOO the other day and washed (several times as I am STILL trying to fade the red also) and woke up the next morinig and I couldnt figure out why my hair still felt "wet" My DS12 said its probally that oil you put in it last night.. So I too am wating on a more edecuated answer.
PS I washed with hot water

chrissy-b
May 14th, 2009, 12:33 PM
I always use conditioner to get oil out of my hair (CO). It seems to work much better than shampoo.

mira-chan
May 14th, 2009, 12:39 PM
CO or herbs work better at removing oils than shampoo. Also keeping the oil in a bit longer (2+ hours, but the longer the better) makes it easier to remove it later.

BajanGal
May 14th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I tried Hot and Cold water :S
I will try conditioning...

Madame J
May 14th, 2009, 01:05 PM
How much oil did you use? I usually do pre-treatment with maybe 1/4 teaspoon of VCO (1/2 tsp. if I'm feeling daring), and I apply to the length of my hair (shoulder-length), and use the remnants on my fingertips to do a little scalp massage. Then I leave it under a scarf for a few hours, or overnight, and it only takes two latherings with a 'poo bar (or Dr. Bronner's soap) and a dilute ACV rinse to get the oil out. I have an oily scalp, so I would notice if it weren't rinsing out.

Delilah
May 14th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Odd, I usually just shampoo once with diluted shampoo and the oil is gone from my hair.

BajanGal
May 14th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Maybe I used too much :S

ravenreed
May 16th, 2009, 07:23 AM
I usually use half a teaspoon or a teaspoon of oil in my hair. I never have a problem with getting it out because I CO. I put the conditioner in, and then leave it while I shower so it has a chance to sit.

Elphie
May 16th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Inexpensive conditioner is what I use to get the oil out of my hair, usually with warm water.

jojo
May 16th, 2009, 11:29 AM
This is how i get the oil out; I apply a good handful of cone free conditioner (tigi moisture manic or asdas cheapo one for 99p) and apply it straight to my hair without adding any water (water and oil do not mix), I then really massage this in from roots to tips and leave for about 5 minutes, then I rinse well for a good 5 minutes in lukewarm water and finish with a cold rinse, as cold as you can stand.

Soapnuts are also excellent for getting the oil out. The thing with using shampoo for washing out oils is that it strips the hair, so theres no benefits from the oiling.

Incidently I always do a heavy oil, like my hair soaked through and the above method works well for me.

Hope this helps.

Carolyn
May 16th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I use maybe a tablespoon + for a heavy oiling and leave it in overnight. Most is soaked in by morning. I wash it out with a long CO soak. I leave the conditioner on an hour or more. I might not have to leave it on that long but I like to. I never have greasy hair if I do that. It's always nice and soft and shiny.